Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: █ Third Age Battle Map Project || Historical Battles & Custom Battle Maps █

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

Icon2 █ Third Age Battle Map Project || Historical Battles & Custom Battle Maps █

█████████████████████████████
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Third Age Battle Map Project
    [ your help / work / opinion is needed ]

█████████████████████████████

Hello dear TATW followers. This thread is for suggestions and anything regarding TATW battles.
    It is separated in Historical Battles and Custom Battle Maps.

Please share your thoughts about possible maps and scenarios for such battles / maps.
    If you have concrete ideas please post detailed informations for it. Make a list not a WOT.

(descriptions for the battles in the table below are needed too. but please do not post text links
    for wiki pages
    or smth like this. make a precise list of all important facts with a spoiler or source
    tag around them. but screenshots you can either put in a spoiler or post them as an extern link)

What i need > Name of the Battle / Map
    > type: 'Historical Battles' or 'Custom Battle Map'
    > descriptions (precise facts)
    > Year
    > Climate
    > Number of Armies
    > Factions and relations on the Battlefield
    > geographical map conditions (settlements, buildings, roads, bridges, Mountains, Rivers ...)
    > Events (not the winner because this is open for such battles)
    > ideas
    > screenshots (mood, climate, style, example, movie screenshot ...)

Your own Battle for TATW 2.0?! If you already made a map or if you are working on it and if you want it (or parts of it) to be integrated in TATW 2.0
    post it here with a short description (with features ...), a screenshot, the progress of completion and a link. i know there
    are already a lot of custom battles (mostly historical battles) but i don't know which are still beeing worked on and which
    are completed.

here is a list of possible historical battles:

Battle of Helms Deep 2.0 | #1 |
    Ambush at Ithilien | #1 |
    Battle on the Pelenor Fields (minas Tirith)
    Battle of Fornost
    the Last Alliance (= Battle of Dagorlad)
    Battle of the five Armies (= Battle of Dale) | #1 | #2 |
    Battle under the Trees
    Battle of Bywater (in the Shire)
    Battle of Azanulbizar resp. Nanduhirion
    Battle of Morannon (at the Black Gate)
    Battle of Osgiliath I | #1 |
    Battle of Osgiliath II
    Battle of the Fords of Isen | #1 |
    Battle of Isengard
    Battle of Lórien resp. Lothlórien
    --------------------------
    Battle of Cair Andros | #1 |
    Battle of Minas Thirith | #1 |
    The siege of Dol Guldur | #1 |
    Battle of the Field of Celebrant | #1 |

i update with thread with further additions and progress.

Need Help? Useful Links:

> Battle Editor Manual with a complete Guide to custom Battles, Help & Support. <HERE>

> Historical Battle Template with every possible options for self created maps in
    the format i yould need it to work with it or to be part of TATW 2.0 maps. <HERE>

> for screenshots use the free program UOSU Screenshot Utility

i hope for some help and contributions.
    Last edited by jản; August 02, 2010 at 01:47 PM.

Hero of the West's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: █ Third Age Battle Map Project || Historical Battles & Custom Battle Maps || your help, work & opinion is needed █

Ambush at Ithilien (moviescene)
    > type: 'Historical Battles'
    > descriptions originally the army of faramir excist out of ithilien rangers only.. harad excist out of 1 unit mumakil and other random units.. Faramir is stationed at ithilien awaiting evil armies to join the forces of sauron and intercept them. Frodo is witness of such an ambush in part 2 of the trilogy
    > Year don't know exactly the year frodo travels to mount doom
    > Climate warm
    > Number of Armies 2
    > Factions and relations on the Battlefield army of gondor under faramir in ambushposition, army of harad under a unknown general traveling through the lands to mordor (1 unit of mumakil)
    > geographical map conditions 1 old road on which harad travels.. the landscape is heavely forested and has hills on both sides of the road..
    > ideas make the ambush playable for both factions and give harad quantity and gondor quality units
    > screenshots (the scene is in part 2 of the trilogy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWVPp...eature=related

hope this is good enough for now
    Last edited by Hero of the West; May 25, 2010 at 07:41 AM.

Default Re: █ Third Age Battle Map Project || Historical Battles & Custom Battle Maps || your help, work & opinion is needed █

mouahaha here i am!!!

On Cair Andros

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    A large river-island in the Anduin, to the east of the land of Anórien. It was held in defence against Mordor by Gondor to prevent crossings of the Great River, though these defences were breached during the War of the Ring.

The island itself was long and narrow, a little over ten miles in length. At its northern end, sharp rocks split the waters of the Anduin in a bubbling foam that gave the island its name. Cair Andros was covered with trees for much of its length.
    Strategically, the island was of immense importance: apart from the bridge at Osgiliath, it was the only practical means for an army from the east to cross the Anduin into Gondor's heartlands. The Gondorians took this risk seriously. Amon Dîn, the first of the Beacon-hills, was set up originally to warn the citizens of Minas Tirith if Cair Andros was ever breached.
    Denethor's great-grandfather Túrin II found it necessary to fortify the island again in about the year III 2900.
    The Gondorian defences fell on 10 March III 3019. On the same day that the Witch-king rode from Minas Morgul with the armies that would besiege Minas Tirith, Sauron released a smaller force (though still numbering more than 6,000 Orcs and Men) from the Morannon. They overwhelmed the defenders of Cair Andros, and used the island to cross into Anórien. It was this northern force that blocked the eastward progress of the Rohirrim as they rode to Gondor's aid, though after the Battle of the Pelennor, the Rohirrim chased them down and pushed them back out of Anórien.

battle done, works pretty well, even the trees fit the lore... but I would edit the armies for both sides. I also added an Isengard army to make it more challenging. more info on the link at the end of this post.

Fords of Isen
    The command of the ford was given to Erkenbrand of the Westfold. However, until he arrived from Helm's Deep, Grimbold held the position. Elfhelm did not want to hold the Fords, as he argued that it provided little defence, but Grimbold was not willing to wholly abandon it, partially due to the tradition of Westfold. The two commanders later reached a compromise.

Grimbold decided to place foot soldiers at the ford and put Elfhelm's men on the east side where he expected the attack to come from.
    Saruman sent a small force, but which was still enough to outnumber the defenders. The attackers forced Grimbold to retreat across the ford with heavy losses. Grimbold held the eastern side of the ford and waited for Elfhelm to come to his aid. More than half of Saruman's force was attacking Grimbold's position.

battle ready, also needs to get it's army edited: in fact, I only saw recently that elfhelm didn't even arrive that coward. so it would perhaps need to get elfhelm out of the battle.

those battle are almost ready, I think I will let the TATW team do the army editing since I do not know how to balance the forces (or to unbalance them...)

Minas Tirith
    The only part I like on this map is the top, but if the team wants to include it in 2.0, no problem... It still needs to be finished and might take some time to place all the buildings. I abandonned the white texture for now, might test it later on.
    I think every one knows the story and the look of Minas Tirith in the movie... I won't say more.

Battle of the Five armies

well, i'm reading once again the hobbit to get an idea of the place to work with.
    here's the setting:
    So the scene was set for a confrontation between the Wood-elves and Lake-men on the one side, and the Dwarves of Thorin and Dáin on the other. Already the first arrows had been shot when a dark cloud was seen coming out of the north - the bats that heralded the Orc-armies of Bolg. The Elves, Men and Dwarves quickly forgot their differences in the face of this new threat, and battle was joined on the slopes of Erebor and the valley beneath. The battle was ferocious, and as it raged, it was joined by others - Eagles out of the Misty Mountains, and even Beorn himself in the shape of a monstrous bear.
    By nightfall the Orcs were defeated, but not without great loss. Thorin himself was slain, making a bold attack against the bodyguard of Bolg, and with him fell his young nephews Fíli and Kíli. Bolg was dead, too, crushed by Beorn, and the goblins of the northern mountains were scattered or destroyed.
    a few problems: i would like a bear unit that would so cool. and tolkien mention silvan mounted spearmen... but infantry might do it.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=360265

edit : problems with the spoiler thing: managed to make some, but there are two for cair andros and isen fords...
    Last edited by Red_Devil; May 25, 2010 at 08:12 AM.

Lone5942's Avatar Foederatus

So question. Of course the battle for minas Tirith is going to be implimented, but does that also mean the undead glowing green army is going to be included? Would be kinda interesting if they were.
    Btw it would be awsome if the Siege of Osgiliath was included. What was that battle where Boromir defended Osgiliath? Ill do my best to provide details

> Name of the Battle / Map Siege of Osgiliath
    > type:Historical
    > Main orc armies first attack after descending from Minas Morgul and lay siege to Osgiliath and force Gondors army to retreat across the river and break the bridge. Faramir takes part in the 2nd siege which is defending the west side of Osgiliath
    > Year Unknown
    > Climate: First siege, kinda stormy and cloudy. Second attack/siege nightfall when orcs secretly make it across the river and are ambushed.
    > Number of Armies: 2
    > Factions and relations on the Battlefield: Gondor with Faramir and Mordor with that high Orc guy with one arm
    > geographical map conditions: 2 huge settlements connected by a giant bridge which is then knocked down.
    > Events: no clue
    > ideas: It would be nice to have siege of osgiliath part 1 and 2 or something. Its obvious we cant have orcs on little rafts going across at nightfall and succumbing to a Gondor Ambush. But part 1 siege could be without faramir and the 2nd siege with faramir of course. Hobbits are present there during the 2nd siege if you remember when the Nazgul show up. Aso wasnt Boromir in Ogsiliath before he died and defended it from some army? I remember the Steward sayin something of that sort but cant remember what battle it was
    > screenshots (mood, climate, style, example, movie screenshot ...) I couldnt find any good ones but if you google osgiliath you get tons of pics including ones of boromir in osgiliath.

P.S. darnit i tried to get this in before it made it into the list. Sorry X_X
    Last edited by Lone5942; May 25, 2010 at 08:23 AM.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

> Battle of Dale
    > type: 'Historical Battles'
    > descriptions (precise facts) The kingdom of Dale and Erebor are threatened by a large army of Easterlings, the easterlings have superior numbers but Dale and Erebor have weapons of superior dwarven craftsmanship.
    > Year: March 17th of the year 3019
    > Climate: Snowing, snow storm
    > Number of Armies: 3
    > Factions and relations on the Battlefield: Dale and Dwarves (allies) and Rhûn
    > geographical map conditions (settlements, buildings, roads, bridges, Mountains, Rivers ...): Near the lonely mountain, possibly place some dwarven units and Dale archers as reinforcements, the player may have the choice to move to higher ground but not without making some sacrifices.
    > Events (not the winner because this is open for such battles):News of victory in the south can boost morale for Dwarves and Dalesmen.
    > ideas: 4 famous generals Brand, Bard II, Dain Ironfoot, Thorin III Stonehelm.
    > screenshots (mood, climate, style, example, movie screenshot ...)

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Battle of the Camp

> type: 'Historical Battles' or 'Custom Battle Map': Historical Battle
    > descriptions (precise facts): The Kingdom of Gondor is under assault by the Haradrim, a tribe of Easterlings called the Wainriders and the Variags of Khand. King Ondoher and the Northern Army has been defeated at Dagorlad by the Easterlings and they have moved into Ithillien to celebrate thinking Gondor was defeated. However, Earnil, a General of Gondor, has defeated the Southrons and stages a surprise attack upon the unprepared Easterling Army which have left their Wains unmanned.
    > Year: 1944 TA
    > Climate: Clear, Summer.
    > Number of Armies: 3
    > Factions and relations on the Battlefield: Gondor (2 Gondorian armies, one is the remnants of the Northern Army) vs Rhun
    > geographical map conditions (settlements, buildings, roads, bridges, Mountains, Rivers ...): Probably just forest with a clearing and a camp/ village type settlement sort of thing in the middle of it.
    > Events (not the winner because this is open for such battles): The Easterlings have high morale and are experienced. Gondorians have the advantage of surprise and a second smaller Gondorian Army will act as reinforcements taking the role of the remnants of the Northern Army.
    > ideas: -
    > screenshots (mood, climate, style, example, movie screenshot); Google it you lame-arses
    Last edited by jản; May 26, 2010 at 02:23 AM.

The siege of Dol Guldur, made by me [Download]
    (ok, you must be aware by now of the disguised advertisements i have been doing to this battle since i uploaded it )
    Historical Battle
    Description
    The tower of Dol Guldur, Hill of Sorcery in Elvish, was Sauron's first refuge following his defeat by the forces of the Last Alliance in the end of the Second Age. When the ring was destroyed, in 3019 TA, Sauron's minions were scatered and unorganised, but not destroyed. His captains in Dol Guldur, who had led their forces against the Free Peoples during the war of Rovanion, held the tower of Sorcery, despite their master's destruction. In the 27th of March 3019, Celeborn, lord of Lorien led the Galadrhim across the rhiver Anduin and marched against Dol Guldur. He had the help of King Thranduil of the Woodland Realm. The final battle of the war of the Ring is about to begin...

Year: 3019
    Conditions: clean atmosphere, night with the moon and some clouds. pretty romantic, but for the slaughter that is about to take place

there are 3 armies on the battlefield:
    playable: mordor (one full army with some trolls), silvan elves (celeborn) with 9 heavy SE units, representing the Galadrim
    non playable: silvan elves (thranduil) light troops representing the elves of mirkwood, thranduil uses legolas battle model. they are non playable because initially i intented to make them reinforcements, but they were there from the beggining and did nothing (stupid AI). i then removed them from reinforcements, but then they did nothing again. in the end, the locations got messed up, but i managed to make the battle work and i dare not change anything again. feel free to make improvements.

there is one castle, assigned to mordor, around the tower of Dol Guldur, which is of course a large mountain. a couple of other objects such as a "fortified house" have been added for decorative reasons.

screenshots:

celeborn's army

thranduil and his forces (you can make him out in the center)

the tower and the armies

here is the original post in the "guides, ressources and art" subforum
    Last edited by glassakias; June 02, 2010 at 10:46 AM.

> Name of the Battle / Map: Battle of the Field of Celebrant

> type: 'Historical Battles' or 'Custom Battle Map': Historical

> descriptions (precise facts)

Battle where the ancestors of the Rohirrim first came to the aid of Gondor. The Battle of the Field of Celebrant was fought on April 15, 2510, against the Balchoth - a group of Men from Rhun who were under the influence of Sauron.
    The Balchoth made frequent raids on settlements on the east side of the Anduin until most of the inhabitants fled. Then Cirion, the Steward of Gondor, learned from his spies that the Balchoth were amassing a great army to invade the province of Calenardhon on the west side of the river. The defenses there were too weak to withstand an attack.

Cirion prepared to lead an army to Calenardhon, and he sent six errand-riders north to ask for help from the Eotheod, who were old allies of Gondor. The errand-riders had to pass through hostile territory patrolled by the Balchoth. Five of them were lost, and the sixth - a man named Borondir - was pursued by the Balchoth during his 15-day journey. He finally made it to the land of the Eotheod at the source of the Anduin on March 25, 2510, and delivered his message.

Eorl the Young was the leader of the Eotheod. He realized that if Gondor fell, his people would soon be in danger as well. Eorl amassed an eohere - or army - of 7,000 armed Riders and several hundred mounted archers. On April 6, the Eotheod began their southward journey of over 500 miles.

The Balchoth had built boats and rafts on the east side of the Anduin. They crossed the river en masse into Calenardhon and overcame the defenses on the west bank. The Balchoth were poorly equipped but had superior numbers. Cirion arrived with an army of reinforcements, but the Balchoth cut them off and drove them north over the Limlight into the Field of Celebrant. Then a great host of Orcs came down from the Misty Mountains and attacked Cirion's forces from the west, driving them toward the Anduin.

All seemed lost for Gondor, but then the Eotheod arrived. They had crossed the Anduin at the Undeeps into Calenardhon and then came over the Limlight to attack the Balchoth from the rear. Borondir charged ahead through the enemy forces to reach Cirion's side, and he died defending his lord.

The combined forces of Gondor and the Eotheod were victorious. Eorl drove the Balchoth back across the Limlight and he and his Riders hunted them down and slew them until Calenardhon was free of invaders. After the battle Cirion gave Calenardhon to Eorl and his people, and it became the land of Rohan. Eorl swore an oath to remain Gondor's ally and come to their aid in time of need.

The Oath of Eorl remained in effect for generations and was fulfilled most notably at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields during the War of the Ring. After that war, Aragorn, King Elessar, renewed the Gift of Cirion and King Eomer of Rohan renewed the Oath of Eorl.

> Year: April 15, 2510

> Climate: Clear, Summer
    > Number of Armies (5: two Gondor armies, Rhun, OotMM, Rohan)
    > Factions and relations on the Battlefield: Gondor - Rohan , Rhun - OotMM
    > geographical map conditions

or at a later time of the battle:

> Events: OotMM join the battle, later: Rohan joins the battle

> ideas: A small unplayable gondorian army tries to defend the west coast of the Anduin while the bigger playable gondorian army is south of the Limlight. The big Rhun army attacks.

>Why this battle: After this battle Rohan was founded. It was the first time Rohan and Gondor fought together which happens also in the war of the ring and the Rohan kings alway refer to Eorl the Young so it would be nice when there is a historical battle whit him. Furthermore this is an important battle because after this battle Gondor becomes the Gondor of the war of the ring (only the southern regions whit an strong alliance to Rohan). Therefore this battle would be a good battle to represent this part of Middle earth history.
    Last edited by Isildor; May 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM.

Ambush near the East Wall
    Éomund was the First Marshal of the Mark; his territory was the East-mark. Éomund was descended from a long line stretching back to Eorl the Young himself, through Éofor; the third son of Brego who lived in Aldburg. Due to his ancestry he inherited Aldburg as his personal domain, and it was from there that he mustered his forces to battle. Éomund would later wed Théodwyn, who was the youngest daughter of Thengel and Morwen Steelsheen, and together they would have two children: Éomer and Éowyn. As chief among the Marshals of the Riddermark he was responsible for all the lands east of the Entwash. In his time Sauron ordered his Orcs to cross the river Anduin and steal the black horses from the Rohirrim. Éomund was infuriated with this and every time he heard of Orcs crossing the border he would set out from Aldburg with a small band of warriors. He and his Men would track down the Orcs and slaughter them to the very last. The Orcs became well aware of his rash attacks and they prepared an ambush near the Emyn Muil in which Éomund and his entire company were killed.

- Both the Rohirrim as the Orcs should be playable.
    - The fight took place near the Emyn Muil, probably in the border of Rohan's East Wall, this means that you should have a rock country from one side and a flat grassy land from the other.
    - The Orcs should outnumber the Rohirrim heavily, but the Rohirrim are better soldiers on the other hand of course.
    - The Rohirrim are far from home so they should all be mounted.
    - I Propose the following units:
    Rohan: Maybe all horse units one time?
    Forces of Evil: All the Orc units, but no: Uruks, Wargriders, Orcs of the Mountains, Goblins. Orcs should outnumber the Rohirrim 3 to 1 and they should ambush them.
    - Concerning difficulty level: Orcs easy, Rohirrim hard.

Disaster of the Gladden Fields
    Returning victorious from the battle of the Last Alliance and being known to all the free peoples of Middle-earth as the heroic conqueror of Sauron the Deceiver had imparted Isildur with a false sense of security. His eyes were not as watchful as they had been, nor his mind as sharp,as he believed the Orcs were now hiding in dark caves, too frightened to emerge. As a result, Isildur decided to set out together with his three eldest sons to the north by taking the shorter but more dangerous route following the flow of the river Anduin upwards. The Arnorians under Isildur progressed well, and they managed to reach the Gladden Fields fairly quickly. It was there that they were ambushed by an army of Orcs, who were drawn and called by the power of the One Ring to act. The Arnorians managed to hold out for a long time due to their bravery, superior armour and expert fighting skills. In the end the line of the Arnorians broke, and they were slaughtered, but not before the enemy forces were severely decimated. Isildur escaped by putting the Ring on his finger, but the One Ring betrayed him and Isildur was killed. The Orcs had already begun to mutilate the bodies of the fallen Arnorians when the Woodmen came upon them in a great host to rescue the bodies of the Arnorians from further mutilation and to drive off the remaining Orcs.

- Both the Orcs and Woodmen should be playable.
    - It took place near the eaves of Mirkwood and the river Anduin, so we should see some forests and a river, possible also some mountains from afar to represent the Misty Mountains, they should fight in swamps and grassy flat land.
    - The Orcs should outnumber the Woodmen, but not to much since they are already heavily slaughtered by the now death Numenorians. The Woodmen wouldn't have had much time to gather a great force.
    - I propose the following units:
    For the Woodmen: 6 units, inluding 2 Mirkwood Spearmen, 2 Mirkwood Hunters, and 2 Woodmen Warriors.
    For the Orcs: 7 units of Mordor Orcs, but no Goblins, no Uruks and no Trolls or Wargs.
    - Concerning difficulty level: Woodmen easy, Orcs hard.

The dispute of Scatha's treasury
    Fram was King among the Éothéod, the ancestors of the Rohirrim. Besides being the son of Frumgar and father of Léod, little is known about his life except for one heroic deed which lives on in the tales of the elder days forever: It was Fram who killed the legendary dragon Scatha. This dragon was a mighty Long-worm from the Grey Mountains who had previously terrorized the Dwarves and stolen their possessions. Fram, who was well aware of the danger that this dragon posed to his people, set out to kill Scatha. He succeeded, though whether he did it through a mighty shot from a bow or a thrust with his spear or perhaps impaling the beast on his sword remains a mystery. By killing Scatha, Fram had not only guaranteed the safety of his people but had also recovered a great Dwarven hoard. The Dwarves of the Grey Mountains laid claim to this treasure but Fram denied them any profits; he only gave a tooth of Scatha saying: “Jewels such as these you will not match in your treasuries, for they are hard to come by.” For this insult the Dwarves killed him. Though the dispute was later resolved, the Éothéod told few charitable tales about the Dwarves from the north for generations thereafter.

- Both the Dwarves and the Éothéod should be playable.
    - We don't know the exact location were the fight took place, but I'm guessing somewhere in a valley of the Grey Mountains, so a custom battle location with mountains surrounding it, maybe some snow on the mountains, but the valley covered with green grass.
    - The Dwarves should outnumber the Éothéod slightly, but not to much since they are superior troops already and we want the battle to be difficult for both sides.
    - If we fight in the valley, than the Éothéod are far from home, which means that they will probably be mounted because than you can travel faster.
    - It shouldn't be entire armies fighting each other but just two small companies meating each other.
    - I propose the following units, ask you can see the Dwarves have an advantage, which should also be the case since they eventually won the battle:
    For the Dwarves: 3 units, inluding 1 general unit, maybe a Dwarven unit which is specifically from the Grey Mountains and a Dwarf mining unit. So concerning stats you get one good Dwarf unit, one medium and one weak Dwarf unit.
    For the Éothéod: 2 units, inluding 1 Éothéod Knight unit and a Éothéod Scout unit. Which means you get one strong unit and one medium unit concerning stats.
    - Concerning difficulty level: Dwarves easy, Éothéod hard.

Battle under the trees
    The Silvan Elves of Mirkwood have succeeded in guarding themselves from the shadow of Dol Guldur for countless years. Until recently, it was only small bands of filthy Orcs who dared to cross the borders of Thranduil's Realm. These Orcs proved to be no danger to the Silvan Elves because they stood no chance against the expert forest fighters amongst the Silvan ranks. Now things are changing: Sauron has launched his great assault upon Middle-earth and Thranduil's Halls will not be excluded from this great attack. His attack upon the Woodland Realm will begin from Dol Guldur, where bands of Orcs, packs of Wolves and poisonous spiders have already begun the march to the north, leaving a trace of fire and smoke behind them. As a countermeasure, Thranduil has expanded and improved his army with more troops and better equipment. He now prepares to move his army to the south, where they will soon meet with Woodmen and Beorning warriors who will swell their ranks for the coming battle. But even the combined forces of the Silvan Elves of Mirkwood and the men of the Vale of Anduin together are no guarantee for victory. For the forces marching from Dol Guldur outnumber those of Thranduil, and they are both well equipped and well trained.

- Dol Guldur, Mirkwood Elves and Woodmen should be playable.
    - It took place in northern Mirkwood, so we should fight in a forested area.
    - The Orcs should outnumber the Woodmen and Elves but are of lesser quality.
    For the Woodmen: 7 units, inluding 1 Mirkwood Spearmen, 1 Beorning Longbowmen, 1 Beorning Berserker, 2 Mirkwood Hunters and 2 Woodmen Warriors.
    For Mirkwood Elves: 7 units of Mirkwood specific Elves.
    For Dol Guldur: 20 units of Orcs and some Goblins and Wargs.
    - Concerning difficulty level: Woodmen medium, Elves medium, Orcs medium.

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Elphir of Dol Amroth View Post
    Disaster of the Gladden Fields
    Returning victorious from the battle of the Last Alliance and being known to all the free peoples of Middle-earth as the heroic conqueror of Sauron the Deceiver had imparted Isildur with a false sense of security. His eyes were not as watchful as they had been, nor his mind as sharp,as he believed the Orcs were now hiding in dark caves, too frightened to emerge. As a result, Isildur decided to set out together with his three eldest sons to the north by taking the shorter but more dangerous route following the flow of the river Anduin upwards. The Arnorians under Isildur progressed well, and they managed to reach the Gladden Fields fairly quickly. It was there that they were ambushed by an army of Orcs, who were drawn and called by the power of the One Ring to act. The Arnorians managed to hold out for a long time due to their bravery, superior armour and expert fighting skills. In the end the line of the Arnorians broke, and they were slaughtered, but not before the enemy forces were severely decimated. Isildur escaped by putting the Ring on his finger, but the One Ring betrayed him and Isildur was killed. The Orcs had already begun to mutilate the bodies of the fallen Arnorians when the Woodmen came upon them in a great host to rescue the bodies of the Arnorians from further mutilation and to drive off the remaining Orcs.

- Both the Orcs and Woodmen should be playable.
    - It took place near the eaves of Mirkwood and the river Anduin, so we should see some forests and a river, possible also some mountains from afar to represent the Misty Mountains, they should fight in swamps and grassy flat land.
    - The Orcs should outnumber the Woodmen, but not to much since they are already heavily slaughtered by the now death Numenorians. The Woodmen wouldn't have had much time to gather a great force.
    For the Woodmen: 6 units, inluding 2 Mirkwood Spearmen, 2 Mirkwood Hunters, and 2 Woodmen Warriors.
    For the Orcs: 7 units of Mordor Orcs, but no Goblins, no Uruks and no Trolls or Wargs.
    - Concerning difficulty level: Woodmen easy, Orcs hard.
    May I suggest the main battle takes place between Isildur's band and the Orcs, with the Woodsmen arriving as reinforcements? It's a more 'important' battle that way.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Wesserd's Avatar Tiro

A post of all the maps:

Edoras:
    Attachment 92705

Helms deep:
    ( 2 versions, One with only the map, so the ones under us who
    know how to add units can do it by them selves, because i've
    had make the original with rr/rc, Ján is trying to add units so
    there is a vanilla version to:

Attachment 92706
    Attachment 92709

Pellenor fields:

Please give feedback if they dont work, or if they arent good enough.
    i can work on that things, because ima 'amateur.'

P.s: They are all done with rr/rc, but Ján said it doesnt matter, as long there are vanilla units in it.
    so ive used that units. succes with playing.

Battle of the pellenor fields.

Date: 15 March 3019.
    Armies: Rohan, Armies of Sauron, Harad.
    Place: The pellenor fields.
    Description:The Rohirrim had bypassed Sauron's lookouts thanks to the mysterious Wild Men (Drúedain) of Drúadan Forest.
    Charging the ranks of Mordor, the Rohirrim split into two groups. The left group, including the van, broke the Witch-King's right wing.[6] The right group secured the walls of Minas Tirith. They destroyed siege engines and camps, and drove off Haradrim cavalry. The Witch-king exchanged his horse for his winged steed and went straight for Théoden. The king's horse was killed by a dart, and it fell and crushed the king.[6]
    The King's niece Éowyn (disguised as a man and calling herself "Dernhelm") challenged the Witch-king to personal combat. She was the only member of the King's guard to oppose him. In the ensuing combat she slew the Witch-king's mount, but he then broke her shield and shield arm. The Hobbit Meriadoc Brandybuck, who had accompanied "Dernhelm", intervened and stabbed the Witch-king behind his knee with his Barrow-blade, an enchanted sword. The Witch-king was bitterly wounded due to that particular sword's special magic. Éowyn then "drove her sword between crown and mantle", slaying him.[6] This was a fulfilment of Glorfindel's prophecy following the fall of Arnor that the Witch-king would not die "by the hand of man".[8] Both weapons that struck his undead flesh were destroyed as well.

Download:

Also 2 versions, but they are not really great.
    Attachment 92708
    Attachment 92707

Screens:

Link to the album.
    http://img710.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=naamloos2iv.png
    Last edited by jản; June 02, 2010 at 09:44 AM.

@ Red_Devil:

Cool, you are really working on this battle map. Thank you.

But, to give constructive critism, I think that the location of the rivers should be changed a little bit. On your first picture it looks like if the rivers run parallel to each other, but th Limlight comes from the west and the Anduin from the north, furthermore the arae betwenn the rivers could be a bit bigger because the battle should be there. And maby the anduin should be a bigger river than the Limlight on the map.

like this maby?

PS.: If you want to bring diversion on the map you should add the northern and southern undeeps maby whith cliffs extending into the Anduin north of the undeeps and hills on the east side of the Anduin in the south. Furthermore there could be a little village in Calenardhon/the Wold to show that this area was populated. (Rhun attacked this area to sack the villages in Calenardhon)
    There could be also some simple defence building on the place where Rhun has to cross the Anduin. The undeeps of the Anduin were an important strategical point but long time ungarded.

Good luck for this map. I'm looking forward to it.

edit : I would appreciate it if you gave me the list of units I should put in each army.
    Concerning to lore:

Rohan has 7000 riders and some mounted bowmans
    Gondor has a very small force at the Anduin and the northern army is also not very big
    Rhun has the biggest army
    The orcs have a normal size army

Therefore I would say:

1. Gondor army (unplayable):
    -1 x Gondor Spearmen
    -1 x Archer Militia

2. Gondor army (playable): Cirion - Steward of Gondor
    - 1 x Gondor General
    - 3 x Gondor Spearmen
    - 2 x Gondor Infantry
    - 2 x Gondor Archers
    - 1 x Gondor Cavalry

Rohan army (emerges very late (e.g. after 30-40 minutes): Eorl the Young
    - 1 x Rohan General
    - 8 x Éored Lancers#
    - 6 x Éored Swordsmen
    - 2 x Éored Horsearchers

Rhun army (playable): Balchoth
    a full army of heavy 20 units. e.g.:

- Rhun general
    - 2 x The Dragons Fire Regiments
    - 3 x The Dragons Claw Regiments
    - 3 x The Dragons Skin Regiments
    - 4 x Clan Guard
    - 2 x Clan Warriors
    - 3 x Variag Raiders of Khand
    - 2 x Horse Guard

OotMM army (emerges at the beginning of the battle (e.g. after 10-20 minutes):
    some orcs (e.g. 6 units)

- 4 x Goblin Infantry
    - 2 x Heavy Goblin Infantry
    Last edited by Isildor; May 25, 2010 at 04:15 PM.

Wesserd's Avatar Tiro

Ive found out how to get battle models for Gandalf, Aragorn & Legolas, if you click on create army, then choose The fellowship, then you can select, Aragorn bodyguards, you get 30 rangers, and a battle model from Aragorn. The same with Gandalf & Legolas/Gimli., But The problem is, the bows are not working as they should be, is is possible to change their bodyguards?

Edit:

Here are some screenshots of my Edoras.
    http://img686.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=naamloosdp.png
    Last edited by Wesserd; May 26, 2010 at 03:34 AM.

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

My Maps

Please suggest a Custom Battle Map here.

Custom Battle Maps
    Middle-earth (T.A.)
    Mount Doom
    The mighty volcano where Sauron forged the One Ring, here small forces can waged fierce skirmishes upon the slopes or even within the Cracks of Doom. A single trail winds up the side leading to that narrow jutt that reaches out into the heart of the mountain where poor Smeagol clasped at last the Ring before falling over the edge and into the flames below. Mighty armieshave no space to wage war here, only small cohorts, it is a pity that currently we have no Gollum nor Frodo and Sam to send up the steep slopes.

Click here to download this dreaded Mountain.

Edoras
    Home of the Horselords, a spectacular settlement upon a tall hill. Of the many houses the greatest stands tallest: the Golden Halls of Medusel where the many Kings have and will continue to reign within. This here is the city in its earliest form, though the many houses stand it has no great wall that can be seen in the latter days of the Third Age.

Click here to download this Home of the Horselords.

Barrow Downs
    Long ago this land was home to the capital of Cardolan, one of three Kingdoms of Arnor. Now, however, these lands are deserted, save for those beings that are named Barrow-Wights. Tombs and ruins seem to be the only thing present in this location, rings of stone rise up high upon tall hills and to the west one can spy the Old Forest and the House of Tom Bombadil within.

Click here to download these haunted burial mounds.

Bree
    The town of Men in the heart of Arnor, from here the shattered peak of Amon Sûl can be seen and also those haunted burial mounds and far south and hard to see is the House of Tom Bombadil. Look for the prominent Inn of the Prancing Pony within though alas it appears to have changed names: the Inn now bears the sign of a Crown - perhaps due to their most famed and kingly customer?

Click here to download this Settlement.

Weathertop
    The great hill that once bore the mighty watchtower of Amon Sûl now rises with a shattered ruin upon its peak. Now fair trees grow upon the hill, a sign of the evil leaving Middle-earth that vegetation grows again. To the north rise the Weather Hills and to the west lies the beginning of the Midgewater Marshes.

Click here to download this ruined Watchtower.

Wargs!
    Upon this segment of the plains of Rohan there was once a small skirmish between the Wargs of Sharkû and the Riders of Rohan. Here too Aragorn was cast into the roaring waters that pass along the rivers edge.

Click here to download this part of Rohan's Plains.

Dead Marshes
    A great battle long ago. The Dead Marshes. Yes, yes! That is their name. This way. don't follow the lights .”

So said Gollum about this aged battleplain, now only water lies here. The lights at least are gone and the corpses are buried deep for they cannot be seen. The edge of the rocky lands of Emyn Muil can be seen and also theline of peaks that is Ered Lithui.

Click here to download the murky marshes of the Dead.

Beacon
    One of the many beacons that stand between Minas Tirith and Edoras, used to warn the other of invasion and to ask for aid. A camp stands beneath the beacon hill.

Click here to download the beacon upon its tall hill overlooking the lands of Gondor and Rohan.

Númenor
    Isle of Meneltarma
    “Among the Exiles many believed that the summit of the Meneltarma, the pillar of heaven, was not drowned forever, but rose again above the waves, a lonely island lost in the great waters.”

“And some there were of the seed of Eärendil that afterwards sought for it, because it is said among loremasters that the farsighted men of old could see from the Meneltarma a glimmer of the Deathless Land.”
    - Akallabêth, The Downfallen
    What more description does one need? Here there is little space for large forces so one can enjoy a light skirmish on this mystical isle where all buildings have been cast to ruins save for the evil temple that was dedicated to the Cult of Melkor.

Click here to download this Ill-fated Isle.

Beleriand
    Angband
    The Mighty Citadel of Evil, Angband, the "Iron Prison", was once the nightmarish abode of the Dark Lord Melkor before he was cast into the Void and all Beleriand was sunk under the roaring oceans. Under the three volcanoes of Thangorodrim a labarinth of stairs descends into the hell that is the Nethermost Hall: Melkor's Throne Room. Here mighty armies may wage wars as in the old days of the First Age, here are the gates to hell, more fearsome than those of Barad-dûr, here there is evil beyond any being's nightmares and here fought and died Fingolfin at Morgoth's hand.

Click here to download the Iron Prison.

Gondolin
    Long ago there was a citadel, so beautiful that it was kept from the world: Gondolin.

In the north of Beleriand, in the midst of a grassy green plain there rose a hill upon which sat the city of Elves. It was hidden though, for fear that Morgoth the Accursed would come and destroy all its beauty but in the end this Elysium was betrayed and waves of evil came: Angband was emptied and all was laid to waste. As the city burnt the citizens fled in fear, taking the narrow pass to the north-west through the hills and though they were saved, Glorfindel, in their defence, perished along with the mighty Balrog he fought.

Here is Gondolin, mightiest citadel of Beleriand

Click here to download the Hidden City.
    Last edited by Inarus; June 04, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Battle of the Fields of Celebrant

some rhun troops when controlled by the AI sometimes stop at the ford while others go on... that's a problem i've tried to solve the whole day, but didn't manage to do it. let's say that they are left here to control the ridge. in any case, everyone's mission is to rout the enemy... so you'll have to fight them anyway if you're gondor. If someone can solve this issue he is welcome

here's the map. Rivers were hard to make since there as a problem with the river banks, but I finally got it right.

Ah I forget the zip thing.

My first battle:

Battle of the plains:

I know that it is simple but it is never the less lore corect and an important battle in the third age.

Hope you like it. Thank you for feedback,

PS.: I can't decide which battle picture (I mean the picture you see when you select the battle) I should take. What is your opinion?

Finished.

Let me represent to you:

The Great war of Rhun and Gondor (1851-1944TA) (1.0)

Three historical battles:

- The battle of the plains (1851 TA)
    - The battle at the Poros (1944 TA)
    - The battle of the camp (1944 TA)

This character names should be included in the name list of Third Age to play this battles:

Narmacil (Gondor) for "The battle of the plains"
    Marhari (Rohan) for "The battle of the plains"
    Earnil (Gondor) for "The battle of the Poros" and "The battle of the camp"

Why this battles?

This battles depict one of the great wars in Middle Earth history in the Third Age. Sauron had influenced the Easterlings so that they attacked in 1851 the realm of Gondor. The war between Gondor and Rhun with help of the Haradrim lasted until "The battle of the camp" when Earnil the later king of Gondor defeated the Wainriders.

The longest time of the Third age Gondor was not in danger by Mordor but by Rhun, Harad and the Cosairs. Therefore this battles should be included in a mod with has the name "Third Age". Hope you like them.

You want to know more about this battle? Then download them

PS.: I write 1.0 because maby I will also make the desaster of the Morannon or an other lore supported battle between Rhun and Gondor if you like those three battles.

Please give me some feedback.
    Last edited by Isildor; May 27, 2010 at 06:11 AM.

My new battle of Azanulimbar

I posted all my battles with screens in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=361093

Wesserd's Avatar Tiro

I present:

The battle of the pellenor fields.

- 6 armies: 2 rohan armys, one with battle model of King Theoden, And the other army led by Eomer.
    3 orc armys, with random generals.
    And 1 Harad army, with +/- 20 mumakil.

- When you have run over the orcs, the Mumak arive.
    i suggest you disable fire at will for you horsearchers and other missile unit, when you are battling the orcs, you need your arrows etc. to fire down the mumaks.

Download:
    http://www.filefront.com/16574325/Pellenorfields.rar

Please give feedback, its my first battle ive made so it wont be superperfect.

Enjoy!

Wesserd's Avatar Tiro

Ján, here is the clean helms deep.

Attachment 92620
    Thanks already for the help.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast