Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect

Default Mass Effect

So I've heard great things about this game, but am worried it might feel a little dated as it came out in 2007 I think? Is it worth me picking up for £12.99 on Steam? I've only ever played Dragon Age from Bioware and I enjoyed that, so wondering would Mass Effect fit me.

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Mass Effect

It's more of a 'lite' RPG than Dragon Age. Fast paced and much easier to like. Story and characters and all that are up to the old Bioware standard... as in great and awesome.
    No.

It doesn't like multi-core CPUs if I remeber correctly.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookah Smoking Caterpiller View Post
    It doesn't like multi-core CPUs if I remeber correctly.
    Ahhhh, as in "doesn't like - won't run properly on them" or "doesn't like - won't take advantage of them"?

Banfred's Avatar Miles

It's kinda a pain to run on my computer. Sound issues that they've never bothered to fix and some stuttering problems; crashing.

ME 2 on the other hand runs perfectly on the same rig, maybe a little slower with dynamic shadows enabled.
    Do you play Morrowind? Do you like old castles, ferocious hairy beasts, expansive wintry forests, and killing dark elves?

Then check out Skyrim: Home of the Nords! A mod for TES III: Morrowind.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

I've noticed no problems playing on my Dual Core, except Sound Issues, so i'd imagine any multithreading issues are simply poorly implemented. The Game doesn't support my integrated Realtec sound and thus it quite often glitches the sound however. If you do buy the game however, I heavily recommend buying the Steam version instead of a boxed copy, due to the SecuRom that plagues those.

Honestly, it's a pretty good game, if a little "short" by most RPG standards. ME2 is also a brilliant game however, and after picking up 1, you'll most likely want 2 (which plays completely differently mind you).
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Best game ever made imo. Just bioware all over that game...
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Mass Effect 1 is not nearly as good as Mass Effect 2, but it serves just fine as an introduction to an entirely new universe.

ME1 still feels like a rather generic sci-fi setting where it really becomes more a world of its own in part 2.

While the overall story isnt that interesting in ME2, the many small missions take you all over the galaxy and really allow you to see a lot of it.

ME 1 has much less fun combat and has the MAKO, but the story and companions are great.

I dont understand that some people actually likes ME2 over ME1. It is like beyond me...
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

It run like a dream on my dual core computer, perhaps it's graphic card driver issues?

Anyways the graphics are a little dated but not much and for what it's worth I prefer the storyline in it to that in Mass Effect 2. I'd definitely pick it up for that price.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Priestly
    I am very pleased this morning to announce that there will be a Mass Effect movie made by the fine folks at Legenday Pictures! I know there has been a lot of speculation amongst our fans ever since Mass Effect 1 came out as to whether or not there would be a movie, who should star in it, who would direct, would there be a Wrex sized bucket of popcorn, etc and I can now reveal that, yes, there will be a movie (popcorn deal is still unconfirmed.

Legendary Pictures, the studio behind great films such as The Dark Knight, Watchmen, The Hangover and 300 have picked up the rights to make Mass Effect. Legendary Pictures will produce with Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni along with Avi Arad (who has been behind great films like Iron Man, X-Men and Spider-Man). From BioWare Ray Muzyka, Greg Zeschuck and Casey Hudson will serve as executive producers.

"At BioWare, we’ve always thought of Mass Effect as having the depth, emotion and plot twists perfectly suited for an adaptation to a motion picture,” said Casey Hudson, executive producer of the Mass Effect series. “With Avi Arad and Legendary attached, we believe that the Mass Effect movie will be an extraordinary entertainment event that realizes our vision for the franchise and thrills fans.”

I am super psyched for this and look forward to seeing the Mass Effect movie take shape.

Is it too early to buy tickets?

It's going to be a fail. All the segments of my dreams are gradually shattered by the media and movie industry.

If they listed Iron Man as a good example I mean, it's certain. It's going to be about a tough-son-of-a-warpcore Shepard slapping salarians and sleeping with asari. great.

wait, was it a joke? please?
    No.

Comes Domesticorum

Iron Man was great, I don't know what crap alternate universe you live in.

def not the fairy land you were born in. liked avatar too? Iron Man 2? Other than a laugh in the park with over-exposed cliches and a solid cruch in the form of special effects...what are they?
    No.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

By the way, returning to an original point i've forget to mention, the game is definetly not dated. Well, play Mass Effect 2 first and the original becomes quite ugly, but it definetly doesn't play dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Iron Man was great, I don't know what crap alternate universe you live in.
    Boring churned out Hollywood Superhero movie filled with such ridiculous amounts of CGI that it's practically a cartoon? Yeah, great movie.

A Mass Effect movie is one of the few game franchises that would actually be able to make a decent movie... but you'd have to set it in the ME universe, not just copy the game's story. Frankly, it'd be best if it didn't make more than a mention of Shepard at most. But anyway, the massive likelyhood is that it'll be just as awful as any other movie based on a videogame.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I know Bioware has some of the best storylines for games but when it comes to a movie... saving the galaxy from a robotic-killer-race sounds kinda lame. If they'll try and build on this story they'll be forced to add a lot of nonsense... as in 2 or 3 scenes with asari strippers...and a lot of stuff that I don't want to see as a fan of the games.

A story set in the ME universe could end up ok though, I admit. (see, I ain't totally negative). But I rather doubt they'll be that smart. Tbh I'd love a good movie set in a ME world because it has lots of potential...I love it over a lot of other sci-fi stuff out there. But I was hoping it wasn't going to be made in the decade of Avatar 2 and friends...
    Last edited by Razvus; May 25, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
    No.

Top-Tier-Tech's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeL View Post
    Ahhhh, as in "doesn't like - won't run properly on them" or "doesn't like - won't take advantage of them"?
    I have a quad core i7 and two video cards in SLI and Mass Effect works great.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

A movie about the first contact war could be good.

If its going to be about shepard, it could be about the events before mass effect 1.

it could be about shepards background story. Like what he did before the normandy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaobSiroc View Post
    I have a quad core i7 and two video cards in SLI and Mass Effect works great.
    Ok thanks, that's good to know as I have a similar setup. I'll take the punt then and just buy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast