Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy Oblivion just for mods?

Default Buy Oblivion just for mods?

I have had Oblivion for the 360 for some time now and have compleated the majority of the game. Recently though I have been looking at mods for the pc and they really seem to overhall the game in every possible way. And it seems that most people think that like Total War games, mods are a must have for oblivion. So my question is, is it worth the money to buy the game for my pc just for the mods? And if so what are the must have mods?
    Sophisticated dragon

Default Re: Buy Oblivion just for mods?

Mods are what keeps oblivion alive. B-u-y-i-t.

There are too many good mods to list. You have to find what suits you.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Instant buy for mods imo

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Oblivion is nothing without mods.

It needs them to fix up the terrible faces and add enough armor and weapon variety at the very least. Those things are a must, and furthermore it comes down to personal taste.

Oblivion without mods is like Rome TW without mods.

You see the potential, you might have some fun, you might even like it if its your first time with that kind of game, but its really crap.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Looks like I will be getting it then.Thanks for the assurences that it will be worth the extra money.
    Should be able to get it pretty cheap online.

I think the mod type I will be aiming for is realism. Any recommendations in that category?
    Sophisticated dragon

Delysid's Avatar Tiro

There are seriously so many mods for that game, you need to spend a fair amount of time browsing through them and trying out what works best for you.
    Off the top of my head the must haves would be:
    Qarl's texture pack III - greatly improves the graphics, making it look like a modern game although you will need a decentish computer for this. (will make the console version look like a joke and impossible to play again)
    Unofficial fan patch - pretty self explanatory, there is one for Oblivion and another for its expansion Shivering Isles.
    any landscape LOD mod - will make the world prettyful and not one blurry mess when you look into the distance at nearby hills and such.

But really there a mods for everything from improving tree textures, to making female npcs hawt (exnems body re-placer ), adding whole new quests to thousands of new armor and weapons.
    Caledonian Campaign submod for RS2.5 CLICK HERE!

If you are german the "oblivion improved" mod is a must.

Else the so called "Quest Award leveler" is handy. It makes it possible to level the rewards of certain quests- So you don`t have to wait till you are level 25 to get the best rewards.

The unique landscape series makes the world much, much, more beautiful. Really stunning. I think there`s also a better cities mod.

I disagree completely....Oblivion itself is enough!!!! I personally spent endless hours to play the vanilla game before i tried mods....Of course it IS NOT ONLY for the mods....I am completely sure that u won't require them for the next year i believe....

Vic Vega's Avatar Decanus

I never played any mods and i am enjoying heaps.

mrcrusty's Avatar Primicerius

Oblivion with mods is a completely different experience to Oblivion without them.

It's best you play the game once over, or at least get a good feel for the game with the vanilla version, but there are mods to improve virtually every aspect of the game that you could think of, and also mods to improve many aspects that you hadn't though of either.

If you've played Oblivion on the console, then it is worth buying again on PC for the mods.

I have to agree with Phier, it's kinda like the Total War games in that regard.

The difference for Oblivion with and without mods is like the difference between vanilla RTW, and say Roma Surrectum or EB. Or maybe the difference between vanilla M2TW and Stainless Steel, or Broken Crescent... etc.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Aside from mods I also used the toolset to fix the game up a bit. I couldnt stand the balding elves. Its rediculous. I also wanted to change some clothes and armor to match the person wearing it better.

And let`s don`t forget that vanilla oblivion is often bugged and or unfinished.

That's why whether you play vanilla or not, you absolutely must get the Unofficial Oblivion Patch along with its Supplemental

Oh, and also Streamline. And possibly Darn UI and Qarl's Texture Pack if you don't mind doing a teensy bit of modding work.

And there you'll have a stabler, smoother, prettier, and more accessible, but still strictly vanilla, game, which can all still be used if you decide to add gameplay mods and whatnot later.
    قرطاج يجب ان تدمر

Quote Originally Posted by motiv-8 View Post
    That's why whether you play vanilla or not, you absolutely must get the Unofficial Oblivion Patch along with its Supplemental

Oh, and also Streamline. And possibly Darn UI and Qarl's Texture Pack if you don't mind doing a teensy bit of modding work.

And there you'll have a stabler, smoother, prettier, and more accessible, but still strictly vanilla, game, which can all still be used if you decide to add gameplay mods and whatnot later.

Don't you agree,however, that someone should try the vanilla one first and then do this?? I personally played for 4 years before i used mods....

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

No

I literally finished the MQ in 3 hours at level 4, there's no point in getting better weapons and armour since all your enemies will just scale up as well and all the sidequests are a lot better with mods installed.
    There's absolutely no reason to play vanilla Oblivion, unless you were retarded enough to buy a Beth game on console.

Yes, there`s no reason to play vanilla oblivion.

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Here is my story:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I lost my DVD ages ago so when I upgraded to a new pc I copied the files. I then added the register files but it still wouldn't work. SO I haven't played it in ages and I really want to play MODSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. So I'm buying it tomorrow.

Long story short. I'm buying it again for the mods
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Well worth it! Especially since the Total Conversion nehrim will be released, very soon.

http://nehrim.de/

(Don`t worry, you can select other languages, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    Yes, there`s no reason to play vanilla oblivion.

I don't think so.... However it's your opinion.... It just needs a lot of time to do EVERYTHING in Oblivion...Otherwise, don't play it at all....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast