Thread: Unit stats modification, v.0.5

Default Unit stats modification, v.0.5

Hi. There is my unit stats modification, made first simply for myself, but i thought that some other people might be interested in it. Stats are based solely on my own opinion and such variables as logical thinking (im my opinion) They are not based on tabletop . You can download and test it, and say your opinions if you want, but please, don't write anything like "You idiot, how could you make such useless and stupid modification, it's horrible!'. I made it for myself mainly and you do not have to use it if you don't like it.

Changes involve

- modification of nearly all of the unit costs

Empire, main changes

-addeded shieldwall to swordman
    -greatswords and greatswords of Carroburg have lock_morale (as one of the most elite units and guardians of nobles)
    -hochland gunners have missle attack 15 now, instead of 14

Chaos

-warriors of chaos and demons have lock_morale now
    -warriors of chaos units are 40 now, instead of 50 (the idea that there is same number of maruders and chaos warriors is riddiculous to me)
    -bloodletters have 6 hp now, but only 10 defense (as they are demons of Khorne and they are mostly offense-oriented)
    -all 'chosen' units have 2hp now.

Elves

-swordmasters, dragon princes, white lions and phoenix guards have lock_morale and 2 hp now, as they are elite elven soldiers and often have hundreds of years of experiance in battle. Shadow warriors also have lock morale.
    -number of elite elven units such as swordmasters, white lions, phoenix guard and shadow warriors is lowered to 40 from 50

Vampire Counts

-number of vampires is lowered (20 from 25 for cavalry, 35 from 50 for infantry) to express that they are more rare than humans
    -attack of blood dragons is increased as they are master warriors

Orcs
    -attack of most orcs units is greater now, but the defense is lower
    -black orcs have 3hp now, to express their thoughness and endurance (compare their size to slayers who have 2hp) but they have lower defense now

Dwarfs

-hammerers have 2hp now, as the elite warrios and guardians of the king but their number is lowered to 40
    -dwarven warriors have incerased attack, they also have shieldwall
    -longbeards have lock_morale but their number is lowered to 40 from 50
    -Thundererers have attack 16 now
    -Ironbreakers have shieldwall now and their defense is 40 (!!! sic!) now, as they wear gromril armours and gromril have comparable durability to diamond. They also have 2hp and lock_morale now but their cost is greatly incerased and their number is lowered to 20 from 50 as gromril is very rare

Link : http://www.sendspace.pl/file/fb57d02717dcfc25543c09a

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: Unit stats modification, v.0.5

I see potential in this mod. I hope you keep it up.

I do have a few questions though. Is this mod just for personal taste or is it for balance? Also, why do so many units have lock_morale? I can understand the 2HP part, but wouldn't battles just be too long? I do like that you modified the unit numbers and stats however.

All-in-all, good job mate!

I know that in tabletop there are very few units that have lock_morale but in my opinion Warhammer despite being dark-fantasy have something of high-fantasy in it. There are heroes that will not back down or surrender even in the most extreme cases. Lock_morale in this modification is mostly for veteran or elite units and i see it this way : when you faced hundreds (longbeards, ironbreakers) or even thousands (most elite elven units) years of battle, there is nothing that you can be afraid of. In addition, certain formations such as general bodyguards are bound by promises and oaths of honor winch is very important for certain races i think (especially dwarves - Hammerers - and elves). Warriors of chaos too aren't afraid of death in my opinion. They are just too crazy to be afraid . Actually, i remember that there is rule in tabletop that says that hammerers are unbreakable when general is with them.

As for the balance : i tried to maintain balance but i am not very happy with it, mainly becouse of my way of changing costs. I used this pattern :

1 point of attack : 25g
    Armour 1p : 25g
    Defense skills 1p : 10g (becouse it is less effective then armour - works only against frontal attacks in meele)

Shield 1p: 15g
    Special abilities like unbreakable, shieldwall, phalanx itd. 300gHitpoint – 500g
    one solder - 5g

I am planing to rework this system by lowering all the costs but using it like :

goblins :
    attack 3 - 75
    armour 3 - 75
    shield 1 - 15
    = 165
    165 *100 (number of soldiers) = 16500 for a full regiment. Of course, lowering of costs is necesarry like : 1-2g for attack point, 30for hp and so on becouse if not, then simple gobbos will cost in thousands XD. I will think about it. Write your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Overall, I like the monetary system you set up. It sounds like a good way to balance unit costs out. My only concern is that wouldn't that formula make some units cost too much?

The second one? Actually, it does when i think about it. :// But the first one, the one used now is not perfect becouse 1 gobbo costs exactly the same ammount of gold as one Ironbreaker for example.

Ironbreakers themselves are in fact one of exceptions from my monetary system becouse they have proved to be far too powerful for far to less money using it. I wanted them to be very powerful becouse dwarven lore says that there were a situations when dozen of them held off hundred-times greater enemy forces for few days until reinforcements arrived. Gromril is rumored to have same durability as diamond and it can only be smelted on runic anvils using molten lava or dragon breath. Becouse of this, there isn't any unit in mod that exceed them in defense but many exceed them in attack power. Also, they are one of the fewer units in mod (only 20 in regiment)
    Last edited by LittleDwarf; May 23, 2010 at 09:42 AM.