Thread: Cloak and Dagger

Default Cloak and Dagger

[Author's Note: This is just a short one shot at a story to see how well I do. This is actually based off an assassination I pulled off in one of my multiplayer campaigns but I didn't see fit to put it in the AAR section. I also modeled the murder of the picture of a successful assassination attempt. Anyway, reviews and criticism is welcome. Enjoy.]

Karl flinched as the thunder above him crackled. Adjusting his coat and putting on his bicorne hat, he left the supply station after one of his routine runs. Karl had recently been enlisted as the commander of the Northern Army to temporarily replace Gebhard Von Blucher, who had wounded as a result of an assassination attempt and had to be sent back to Berlin. The rain hit the ground in a heavy drizzle, Karl himself was mostly dry but he absolutely abhorred getting wet. The streets were dark and empty, save for a lights in the windows of the buildings of Konigsberg, and the lamps along the streets. All Karl had to do was just make a short walk back to his quarters and retire for the night, which was all he wanted to do at the moment.

"Oh... So empty is the night." He said to himself. He took a quick glance around, excepting a burly man wearing a dark trenchcoat and his Tricorne hat shadowing his face from sight, the streets were completely deserted. Once he had passed by the man, he quickened his pace.

"Stop." A deep voice called out behind him. Karl winced in fright and looked around. Nobody was around, so Karl was safe to assume the man had called him to stop.

"Do you need something citizen?" Karl asked, the lightning briefly illuminated the man's face. Karl however missed most of the details. The man slowly walked up to Karl, stopping about a foot from him.

"That uniform... You are Prussian?" The man asked. Karl was amazed at his cohesive speaking ability. Most of the people of Konigsberg were immigrated ethnic Russians mixed in with a few Poles.

"Yes. Yes, Prussian. I'm a commander in fact." Karl smiled, he felt he needed to at least flaunt his power over the lower class. Though, he didn't want to push it, his only defense was a single shot pistol and his sword. Neither would've done him much good against an experienced assassin.

"Commander eh? Hahahahaha." The man laughed slowly and heartily. Karl simply gave him a nervous smile, he was more intimidating than friendly. "You are commander of Prussians?"

"Yes, I am." Karl responded, "Um, is that a Tricorne? Aren't those out of fashion these days?"

"Is an antique. Was given to me by my father who fought in Seven Years War." The man explained.

"Oh. The Seven Years War? Which country fight for?" Karl inquired.

"Russia." The man deadpanned. Karl suddenly felt scared for his life. The Prussians and English had fought against the Russians in the Seven Years, not only that but Russia and Prussia were in a war at this very minute.

"Oh, that so." Karl took a step back, in response the man stepped forward, "Um, I should retire to my quarters now."

"Oh, this late at night? You choose now to retire?" The man questioned.

"Yes yes, I have a lot of work to do. Battles to plan, formations to drill..." Karl explained. The man stepped next to him and patted him on the back once.

"You work too much." The man slid a dagger out of his sleeve and his hand into a fluid reverse grip. Before Karl even noticed, the man drove the dagger straight into his spine. Karl opened his mouth to scream, but nothing came out. The man pushed Karl to the ground, leaving the dagger in his back. Karl fell forward onto the wet pavement of Konigsberg. Karl's face was permanently locked in a silent scream, something the man took a quick laugh at.

"Mother Russia thanks you for your sacrifice Prussian." The man muttered in russian, before taking a stroll down the street.

Had Karl been more attentive, he would've noticed a wanted poster for a man wanted for arson and attempted murder right at the building he left. The same man who had just killed him, known only as "The Mad Russian."

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Cloak and Dagger

Very interesting story, beautifully written Otter. Quite disturbing and dark to the say the least also! I'd like to see more, you built up the tension nicely.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Cloak and Dagger

I liked it, short and sweet. Good job Otter, hope to see more of your works here.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)