Page 1 of 33 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: EU vs US

Default EU vs US

if a real full scale convetional war broke out between the US and someone with a decent army, most of the US navy would be destroyed quite fast. They're all big lumbering surface ships. Just look what happened hte Brits in the falklands. Many ships lost to only a small number of exocets.

Their submarines would probably be fine though.

EDIT: The first 2 pages of this thread, including this post, are merged from other threads.
    Last edited by removeduser_4536284751384; May 23, 2010 at 06:27 AM.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Default Re: Obama starts massive US Air-Sea-Marine build-up opposite Iran

Quote Originally Posted by irelandeb View Post
    if a real full scale convetional war broke out between the US and someone with a decent army, most of the US navy would be destroyed quite fast. They're all big lumbering surface ships. Just look what happened hte Brits in the falklands. Many ships lost to only a small number of exocets.

Their submarines would probably be fine though.
    Am I the only one that sees a problem with that?

And think his whole statement is pretty stupid? Especially as the British Naval Task Force was no where near as powerful as a Carrier Strike Group.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Damon Wannabe View Post

And think his whole statement is pretty stupid? Especially as the British Naval Task Force was no where near as powerful as a Carrier Strike Group.
    apparently decent army means one that is equipped with the best ASMs Russia has, has a strike aicraft/bomber fleet capable of carrying them and the fighter fleet that is capable of piercing the CAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Quote Originally Posted by torongill View Post
    apparently decent army means one that is equipped with the best ASMs Russia has, has a strike aicraft/bomber fleet capable of carrying them and the fighter fleet that is capable of piercing the CAP.
    And knowing all this we decided only to send one out of our 11 CSGs...
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

if they went to war with a coalition of Eu nations they would be slaughtered

of course that is never going to happen, but if it did, they would be. Not that that EU coaltition could ever invade the US, but they would destroy the US military

Quote Originally Posted by Il-Principe View Post
    Afghanistan is landlocked, so where do the ships go?
    Planes can fly a large distance. And its not only allied shipping that goes into and out of Pakistan...

Ireland: No, not really. No one but the US even has super carriers. There is no EU defence structure anyways.

Ireland: No, not really. No one but the US even has super carriers. There is no EU defence structure anyways.
    if the USA decided to invade some country in Western Europe, for whatever reason, they would be slaughtered. The combined army of all EU nations it twice as large as the USA, and I bet their frontline forces are even more than twice as large. If you combine all the air forces of EU nations they have 3,523 fighters, vs 2,132 US fighters. The US army and marine corps combined have 5,970 tanks, all EU ground forces combined have 6,775. Note that all tanks operated by the EU and US can penetrate each other in one hit, unless they hit the turret front. Of course, US tank crew are probably better. The US navy has 11 aircraft carriers, combined EU navies have 7, although they are smaller and worse. Of course the combined EU military has better anti ship capabilities.

Of course the armies that would slaughter the US can only really operate in Europe due to lack of the huge logistal support base that the US has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles...rcraft_carrier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Queen_Elizabeth_(CVF)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Prince_of_Wales_(CVF)

They do have the most, but saying only is pushing definitions a bit.

if the USA decided to invade some country in Western Europe, for whatever reason, they would be slaughtered. The combined army of all EU nations it twice as large as the USA, and I bet their frontline forces are even more than twice as large. If you combine all the air forces of EU nations they have 3,523 fighters, vs 2,132 US fighters. The US army and marine corps combined have 5,970 tanks, all EU ground forces combined have 6,775. Note that all tanks operated by the EU and US can penetrate each other in one hit, unless they hit the turret front. Of course, US tank crew are probably better. The US navy has 11 aircraft carriers, combined EU navies have 7, although they are smaller and worse. Of course the combined EU military has better anti ship capabilities.

Of course the armies that would slaughter the US can only really operate in Europe due to lack of the huge logistal support base that the US has.
    As I said in the other thread, the US has more like 2,900+ fighters. That 2,132 number is less than in the USAF alone.

Justicar: Those are not super carriers. The Charles De Gaulle is a medium carrier, the Queen Elizabeth isn't built yet nor is the Prince of Wales.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

They all sink the same way Farnan. Downwards

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    They all sink the same way Farnan. Downwards
    Don't make us steal credit for another intelligence coup, like capturing the enigma machine. We will do it...

As I said in the other thread, the US has more like 2,900+ fighters. That 2,132 number is less than in the USAF alone.
    oh right including the novy

well I imagine most of those will be dead when all the us carriers anywhere near europe are simultaneously sunk, but assuming they aren't, they won't make much of a difference, european missiles are far better

US would not be able to beat the combined EU military

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Ok lets not do this EU vs US thing

oh right including the novy

well I imagine most of those will be dead when all the us carriers anywhere near europe are simultaneously sunk, but assuming they aren't, they won't make much of a difference, european missiles are far better

US would not be able to beat the combined EU military

Not a forgone conclusion, the home field advantage would favour the EU (Shorter supply lines for a start, but a Carrier Battle Group is a massivly powerful force, and the US has 11, also our subs aren't invisile, they can be sunk by well equiped and well trained ASW teams.

Yea, let's not assume that Hogwarts is real and the British can use magic to sink the US Navy simountaneously.

Yea, let's not assume that Hogwarts is real and the British can use magic to sink the US Navy simountaneously.

LOL, the Royal NAvy dies have better torpedoes than the american navy mind (The Spearfish) Capable oif 80 knots (yes Eighty.) With a 300kg warhead. Compared the the MK 48 (55 knots with a 295kg warhead) WE WIN TOP TRUMPS

Britain has quite bad anti-ship capabilities. It would be France.

I would like to see a carrier battle group resist 1,000 anti-ship missiles (Yes, France alone has enough anti-ship missiles to do that to all 11 carrier battle groups and then some. Italy, Sweden, Britain and Norway could also do it). Currently they can only counter a maximum of 100 effectively with aegis and CIWS. Of course, only a small number of those could destroy a warship in one hit, but with so many, they would make it through, and if they didn't that many hits from the smaller missiles would knock out a us warship.
    Last edited by removeduser_4536284751384; May 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justicar5 View Post
    LOL, the Royal NAvy dies have better torpedoes than the american navy mind (The Spearfish) Capable oif 80 knots (yes Eighty.) With a 300kg warhead. Compared the the MK 48 (55 knots with a 295kg warhead) WE WIN TOP TRUMPS
    Its not about the size of the torpedo but how you use it.

Again Ireland, we'll assuming magic doesn't exist and the Paris School of Wizardy and Witchcraft doesn't exist.

if they went to war with a coalition of Eu nations they would be slaughtered

of course that is never going to happen, but if it did, they would be. Not that that EU coaltition could ever invade the US, but they would destroy the US military
    The EU has 7 carriers, the US 12. In terms of navy and air the US has a massive advantage over the EU. The EU has a lot of military potential, and in theory could become military superior to the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by justicar5 View Post
    Come again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Page 1 of 33 123456789101126 ... LastLast