Thread: How to Repair NTW if Modding "Breaks" Your Game

Default How to Repair NTW if Modding "Breaks" Your Game

Let's say that the most recent patch has broken your game. Or perhaps you've made changes to a vanilla CA file only to discover that you're not the man you wished you were: all your hard work leads to CTD after CTD. In any case, you'd like a clean slate. The process is daunting, however, as reinstallation takes hours, which is all the worse if you live somewhere with metered or capped downloading.

I'm pleased to say that you needn't fear. There's a simple solution. Steam can return your game to pristine state without too much trouble. Here's the procedure:
    1) Open Steam.
    2) Right-click on NTW and select Properties > Local Files > Verify integrity of game cache.
    3) Steam will search your files and replace only missing or corrupted files. Viola! That's it. No need to reinstall. [CAVEAT: That also means that any desired changes to a vanilla CA .pack will be erased. If you have a modded CA file that you want to keep, back it up or rename it and then replace it when Steam is finished.]
    Wait, you say, things are royally messed up and even this doesn't fix my problem. What now? If that's the case, do this after you do the above:
    4) Open your NTW data folder (you can find this quickly by typing "data" in the Start button search menu).
    5) Remove every modded file that you see. If you're not sure, delete it anyway. Remember that you can delete a vanilla file and replace it by repeating steps 1 - 3.
    6) Click on the Start menu and search for "user.script". Delete it.
    At this point, your game should be 100% vanilla. If not, then you may need to reinstall. However, always try the steps listed above first as they will solve your problems 99% of the time while saving you hours of frustration and GBs of bandwidth.
    Last edited by erasmus777; May 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: How to Repair NTW if Modding "Breaks" Your Game

Stickied.

PM me with any questions.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; September 13, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Good stuff, many people don't know about the verify game cache. +rep

Emperor BLUBBS VII's Avatar Decanus

Genius! But I just want the original data folder for NTW!!! I accidently modded my backup data folder and I need a new one!! If I do this corrupt file fixer it will mess up the current mod I am working on!! Answer back as soon as possible cause I really want to submit my mod!!! Would you be SOOO kind if you can give me the original data folder!!! If not possible can you tell me some way
    Last edited by Emperor BLUBBS VII; May 25, 2010 at 08:32 PM.
    Advance to Contact. Duffer Mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor BLUBBS VII View Post
    Genius! But I just want the original data folder for NTW!!! I accidently modded my backup data folder and I need a new one!! If I do this corrupt file fixer it will mess up the current mod I am working on!! Answer back as soon as possible cause I really want to submit my mod!!! Would you be SOOO kind if you can give me the original data folder!!! If not possible can you tell me some way
    Copy the files you want to save to a folder somewhere else. Then follow the steps. When Steam has finished, put the files you copied back where they were.

Quote Originally Posted by erasmus777 View Post
    Copy the files you want to save to a folder somewhere else. Then follow the steps. When Steam has finished, put the files you copied back where they were.
    I just did that... and the problem I wanted to fix, which was France not working in custom battles... is not fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor BLUBBS VII View Post
    I just did that... and the problem I wanted to fix, which was France not working in custom battles... is not fixed
    Extract the tables that you've modded and create a custom .pack.

Quote Originally Posted by erasmus777 View Post
    Extract the tables that you've modded and create a custom .pack.
    I already made a custom.pack, i just did it again... the France problem is fixed but THE MOD DOESNT WORK!! Everything seems like the normal vanilla version of NTW! I did the user.script thing 3x and it still doesnt work!!! My mod is called Super_Human_Mod ... in the user.script I put mod Super_Human_Mod.pack; Is there something wrong with the user.script??!?!

Nice tutorial! Wish I had know about this before I reinstalled my NTW, took my 2 1/2 days

Hello

I followed your tutorial but when i tried to start NTW, steam wouldn't launch it. It said its updating at 1.1mb/s still only on 35% is this a patch or is it reinstalling? If it is downloading a patch why cant i play it?

You have to wait until it finishes. It will open a report after reaches 100%. If it takes long that means that many or/and big files are damaged and have to be downloaded and reinstalled. Did you make changes on vanilla files?

Foederatus

It's nice, but not for me. I already knew those things and when I did do it it still didn't work. France doesn't work and my mods don't work. All I did was:
    1.Download WinRAR
    2.Download mods
    3.Direct to Napoleon Total War "Data"
    4.Play the game
    And it doesn't work I need help. Right now I deleted the game and is downloading it agian.

Thanks for making this turtorial! All the problems I had were fixed!

Nice tutorial

Bernardius's Avatar Decanus
    SACRUM IMPERIUM ROMANUM NATIONES GERMANICAE

thanks, help is always needed!
    EB II is finally out! ...NOW!!!...

Icon9 Re: How to Repair NTW if Modding "Breaks" Your Game

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardPatton View Post
    It's nice, but not for me. I already knew those things and when I did do it it still didn't work. France doesn't work and my mods don't work. All I did was:
    1.Download WinRAR
    2.Download mods
    3.Direct to Napoleon Total War "Data"
    4.Play the game
    And it doesn't work I need help. Right now I deleted the game and is downloading it agian.
    I had some problem..