Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nebraska kebab-maker now top U.S. adviser in Afghanistan

Indefinitely Banned

Default Nebraska kebab-maker now top U.S. adviser in Afghanistan

But the news from Afghanistan in the 1990s had haunted him. Twenty of his relatives were killed during the civil war. The Taliban rose to power, demolishing the values of the country he remembered. He was thriving in the United States while his native country was being destroyed. He feared he would never return.

On Sept. 11, 2001, the distance between Afghanistan and Nebraska was suddenly shortened. His native country was back in the headlines, but for an unimaginable reason. He worried, with a restaurant named Afghani Kebab, that he would be a target.

“I thought someone might show up with a gun and shoot me,” he said.

Instead, he got a flurry of phone calls expressing support. He was shocked when business quintupled on Sept. 12.

Then there were more phone calls from American officials and contractors. The United States was going to war in Afghanistan, they said. Would Amini be interested in working with U.S. troops on the ground?

Amini had grown embittered toward U.S. foreign policy when the country turned its back on Afghanistan after the Soviet withdrawal in 1989. But a return to his home country would mean a chance to rebuild the battered cities he had once fought to defend.

The night he closed his kebab restaurant in 2002, a local television news crew interviewed Amini, wearing his usual black bow tie and white button-down shirt, surrounded by dozens of his customers.

“Everyone else from around the world wants to help this poor country,” he said, tearing up. “Why not me?”

‘Everything was in ruins’

In 2002, Amini arrived in Kandahar, a longtime Taliban stronghold, to work as a cultural adviser and interpreter. He couldn’t believe what had become of the country.

“Everything was in ruins,” he said.

Amini watched as U.S. officials made gains and errors — building schools and encouraging civil society while also awarding positions in the new government to corrupt Afghans. It sometimes felt like cultural awareness was being sacrificed for political expediency.

“If this is not right for this mission, I will fight you all the way to the White House,” he recalled telling his bosses.

His willingness to speak up earned him respect. By 2005, he had nearly unlimited access to top officials. When Hillary Rodham Clinton came to the country as secretary of state, Amini was her intermediary with a group of Afghan women. He took Vice President Biden to meet soldiers in eastern Afghanistan. He went with then-Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates to volatile Wardak province.

But Amini’s brothers and sisters were ordinary Afghans living in a remote province in one of the world’s poorest countries. Sometimes they called him to complain about the actions of U.S. troops.

“My children almost died today,” his sister told him one day in 2009. A NATO convoy had held up traffic for more than seven hours. Cars with no air conditioning and no access to water were stuck on the road in scorching heat.

Amini told McChrystal, then the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, the story.

“We are losing the support of the public,” Amini recalled saying. “We are losing hearts and minds.”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...f_story_1.html

Indeed, we can now see the wisdom and power that lies in the delicious meal that is kebab. For how else could a simple kebab maker become a top military adviser? More a reason to eat glorious KEBAB.

Shea O'Gorath's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Nebraska kebab-maker now top U.S. adviser in Afghanistan

The dude is an Afghan with experience with the public and passion. Seems like a good fit. Good on him

I have returned

First Hagel and now this guy? Woo hoo! My state's movin up in the world. First best corn, then best sheep, then best cattle, now best leaders. We should definitely secede
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Best corn? I beg your pardon Husker.

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    Best corn? I beg your pardon Husker.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Roast on the grill inside the husk as desired, or boil, or steam in microwave. Tastes great plain, or cover liberally with salt, pepper, and butter. Goes great with locally raised, slaughtered and aged prime rib, and a tall glass of ice-cold tea. Don't forget apple pie and ice cream for desert. yeah..... hungry now
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Sweet corn is the only corn I can eat

Corn?

You mean Peels Brimstone

I have returned

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Sweet corn is the only corn I can eat
    I believe that's the only kind people eat. The "plain" stuff is fed to livestock.

Comes Limitis

Coming from Berlin Kreuzberg, the home of the Döner Kebab, and knowing a great many Döner millionairs that didnt got that rich selling 2€ Döners with maybe 20 cents profit a piece - That Nebraska kebab guy is prolly Nebraska's heroine kingpin.

These obscure states like Nebraska actually got a long history in big drug trafficing. Arkansas for instance was deep in the Iran-Contra scandal in numerous ways, including having a sort of university to train contras in torture and what not. Thats right, the state that gave us the Clintons, who wrecked the Congo, Haiti, Yugoslavia and Rwanda. Whos daughter is married to a Goldman Sachs guy.

Real leftists. Real humanitarians. And Obama is change.
    Last edited by Thorn777; March 31, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Comes Limitis

double
    Last edited by Thorn777; March 31, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Roast on the grill inside the husk as desired, or boil, or steam in microwave. Tastes great plain, or cover liberally with salt, pepper, and butter. Goes great with locally raised, slaughtered and aged prime rib, and a tall glass of ice-cold tea. Don't forget apple pie and ice cream for desert. yeah..... hungry now
    Oh I agree with you.

Now take a look at which state majority of that sweet goodness comes from

Quantity is not quality

Trouble is you need the best soil to produce the best corn. Do you need to borrow some?

Trouble is you need the best soil to produce the best corn. Do you need to borrow some?
    Nope, we like our sand and rocks just fine. With GMOs, who needs something something so conventional as "good soil?"

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Oh I agree with you.

Now take a look at which state majority of that sweet goodness comes from

I can see my house from here... Southeast county of NH, halfway between the Mass and Maine borders, approximately in the black line. It looks small.

I bet we grow a ton of corn. Those idiot Federal Government cartographers just didn't plot it out of laziness. Must have hired Mexicans. Which is weird because they're pretty knowledgeable about maize. They invented it. That and Tortillas. I think we invented corn on the cob though.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; March 31, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

A thing you shouldn't be proud of.

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

Being proud of corn is retarded.

Come back to me, when your state become more interesting then corn producing; like topping the highest murder rates.

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary Crusader View Post
    Being proud of corn is retarded.

Come back to me, when your state become more interesting then corn producing; like topping the highest murder rates.
    Do you see the irony here people?

Who knew feeding the world would be less important than killing your neighbors..

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

Do you see the irony here people?

Who knew feeding the world would be less important than killing your neighbors..
    Ignore him, people.

He did not see the point.

A question to the readers, "Can you tell or see, how far the joke went over Armatus' head?"

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

potatoes is where a man can put his pride

I have returned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast