Thread: Mod question:How to port mods to warband???

Default Mod question:How to port mods to warband???

Well, i have this little mod that i like, and said mod is for mb norm. i feel that i want said mod
    for warband, and am willing to work for it. Its a mod no mine, but i plan on using it for personal use
    till i get permission to release a little sometin sometin i been working one. sooooo. Any ideas on how
    to port said mod to warband from Mount and blade.

Default Re: Mod question:How to port mods to warband???

Porting is usually a big process that requires a good knowledge of the scrips in the mod - something that's beyond me.
    But basically you'll need the source code of the mod, so see if that's been released along with the mod.
    Then you need Python installed and the module system (for 1.113).
    For 'porting' the items in the mod you might also need OpenBRF.
    If you're new to any of this, then read the basics of the module system:
    http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,12.0.html

All in all brace yourself and take it one step at a time.
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

Would it be easier to just make the mod again for warband?

It depends on the mod I guess. But porting a mod is already like making a new mod for warband.
    If there's a lot of new code you will still need the source code and work your way through the entire mod.
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

So then might as well start fresh *cracks fingers* but ive got to wait sic hours first.

Try playing it with Warband.

A lot of mods work with Warband, that I didn't think would.

No guarantees though, as I haven't tried it myself, just going by what others say.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

There are a lot of little things, scripts and such, that will work in both warband and vanilla. However, this works both ways, as I have experienced recently. Many of the most minor edits to the game can still work easily in warband, because the same lines of code or whatnot can be changed in the same way. On the other hand though, warband has some extra coding here and there, and with the addition of a few extra lines of code in certain sections of the files, a simple copy/paste will not work so well and cause a ton of errors. So in that respect, everything has to be taken one little step at a time, some things will be easier than others of course but not everything is. Hell, I'm only doing some very minor script editing and I am noticing it, can't imagine how much of a pain it is for the larger mods