Thread: patch 3 problems

Default patch 3 problems

I've modded the Total War series since Rome so I'm not new to the game, but this problem is stumping the hell out of me. Any file I take from patch3 to change and add to my own mod crashes the game during startup. Taking the same file from patch2/patch1/patch/vanilla works exactly as it should, without crashes.

For example, if I extract unit_stats_land from patch3 with the PFM, add it to my own mod, and, say, change grenadiers so they can't use grenades, the game crashes during startup. If I take the exact same file from patch2 and make these changes, the game runs fine. This occurs for other files as well from patch3.

Patch3 itself is functioning perfectly in the vanilla game; there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I've obtained other copies of the patch and compared them and they're all exactly the same, so I don't think the patch itself is the problem.

Anyone see this before? Or should I just reinstall and start from scratch?

Default Re: patch 3 problems

Are you running it as a mod or movie pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Skouser View Post
    Are you running it as a mod or movie pack?
    I've tried both. I've also tried it as a patch. Same result

Are you using files that are in patch3 but were previously extracted from patch2 or previous?

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmaniac View Post
    I've tried both. I've also tried it as a patch. Same result
    Can you attach your mod?

Don't reinstall. If anything, open Steam, right-click and select Properties>Local File>Verify integrity of game cache. That'll scan and repair your files, but my guess is that something else is the problem.
    Last edited by erasmus777; May 18, 2010 at 04:43 PM.

I think something's not right with the dlc. I narrowed the crash down to the six units that come with the patch (any file that mentions them). Can someone list the relevent files along with their sizes? I compared patch 3 to a pirate copy and it seems perfect, but I don't have the files that the pirate copy has (and I don't think they're official, either, so that doesn't help me at all).

Edit: still the same problem. Extract file unit_stats_land from patch 3, add to new, empty mod file, run game, crash. Why would this table crash in a mod or movie or my own patch, but run fine in patch 3? That doesn't make any sense.

Thanks!
    Last edited by gamingmaniac; May 18, 2010 at 08:47 PM.

I am having similar problems- getting crashes after modding patch3. Perhaps some of its files aren't actually being used by the game and doing so causes a crash?? No idea but anyway if i take the patch 2 files it should be fine?
    My CAI mod for use with drop-in battles

Quote Originally Posted by Skouser View Post
    I am having similar problems- getting crashes after modding patch3. Perhaps some of its files aren't actually being used by the game and doing so causes a crash?? No idea but anyway if i take the patch 2 files it should be fine?
    Are you modding the patch3.pack or creating a custom .pack and modding that?

creating custom pack ofcourse. All my other files work, but if i move the patch3 files out of my mod its runs fine.. weird. I'll upload it:
    Last edited by Skouser; May 26, 2010 at 04:24 AM.
    My CAI mod for use with drop-in battles

same to me
    modded some units only to have no limit .
    put them in a diff mod and CTD
    Think i forget something