Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rise of Greece

Default The Rise of Greece

Chapter 1: Greece Rises

During the year 280 BC, the once mighty Hellenistic empire has crumbled into a loose confederation without unity. What remains of the great civilized culture of the Greeks was but a distant memory. At the starting point, the Greeks hold only 4 cities: Athens, Sparta, Cydonia, and Patras. The disintegrated power of the Hellenistic empires clashed in all out fury as the Macedonians prepare for an invasion of Greece itself. The optimistic task at hand is for the Greeks to hold off the Macedonian rally.

The Spartan king concedes the threat of the Macedonians and the loose elasticity of his empire. Areus decides that as Alexander’s heir, he will reclaim back what was lost and will prove to the world that the Greeks are still a force to be reckoned with. Areus will not only repeat Alexander’s victory but preserve it.

During that night, the capital of Greece – Sparta was buzzing with an arbitrary that rallied leaders across the Greek globe into the Governor Palace. Areus claimed that the meeting was on the highest threat and needed an immediate approach. Governors from Patras, Cydonia, and Athens discussed their motives and ideas. Areus issued a meeting to call for a rally of Greek forces to defend the remnants of a lost empire and fend the tyrannical Macedonians. As I write this letter, the situation is getting much worse and far out of hand. To the north, the Macedonians have gathered large armies that prepare for an invasion of Greece itself. We are outmatched, outnumbered, out produced, out maneuvered, and bankrupt; it seems a dire situation that even the mightiest warriors can not withstand. Areus thinks otherwise and prepares any citizens that are capable of conscription and assembles an intermediate force that should be able to repel any Macedonian army.

On that cold, dark, gloomy night of 280 BC, Areus himself knocked and stood at the front of my doorsteps waiting for my reply. The look on his face described that he was worried, anxious, and in a sense of urgency. Areus spoke of the council meeting and the situation for the survival of Greek. Areus needed espionage experts like me to venture into enemy territory and unravel the situation; he went on to say that he needs anything that he can get before the Macedonians invade. The Macedonians unlike us have unbelievable power and riches; they can crush us swiftly if we did not counter react and repel them. I accepted his proposal and knew that my nation and empire needed my ability for the sake of survival. My first espionage mission was at the large city of Corinth. Areus was worried at the sight of Corinth, the Macedonians held the large city which was in the middle of Greece itself.
    I ventured from Athens to Corinth very sneakily and quietly, it assured that I remained hidden under the shadows. Rapidly I disguised myself and wandered around the city in search of advanced garrison forces and anything that will help our nation. I finally stumbled upon the barracks, stables, and range of the Macedonians. Surprisingly, the Macedonians left the city minimally guarded with only a small skirmish force of 43 soldiers. Quickly I snuck out the city at night, returned to Sparta a week later to tell Areus of my news. Areus was quite overjoyed because he realized that the siege of Corinth would be an easy task.

Acrotatus, one of the three great sons of Areus. Acrotatus was born to be a true general and a true warrior. He is the most able of the sons to lead and command a force. His instincts and abilities have ranked him up as Areus’ greatest general so far. Although, when the gods give, the gods also take. Even though he is the most worthy general and able of the sons, he is not the most popular because of his unsympathetic attitude and his suspicions of others, instead they favor the other sons much more; thus eliminates his chances of being heir and future king to the kingdom.

Chremonides is easily the most popular and most likeable out of the sons of Areus. Areus was born not to be a fighter and a general but a fair, civilized, and intelligent ruler. Chremonides is enthusiastic, charismatic, and gentle; winning the hearts of many greek citizens. Instead of war and blood bashing, Chremonides prefers to study, increase his intelligence, and to participate in politics. All of his traits and personality makes him easily the most favorite out of all the sons, leaving him with the will to become king after Areus’ death.

Like his older brother Chremonides, Timoleon favors to govern at home and participate in politics rather than lead hordes into the brutality of war. Problem is that Timoleon is always in the shadows of Chremonides because he isn’t as smart, intelligent, or philosophical as Chremonides; instead Timoleon is a funny character and prefers to lighten the mood with his jokes and sarcasm. Unlike both of them, he isn’t as likeable as Chremonides or a true warrior like Acrotatus but a mixture. This is why Areus favors him the least.

This is my first AAR, if anyone wants it to continue, please leave some comments or critics. Thanks.
    Last edited by eternalsonata; May 13, 2010 at 10:47 PM.

TM Is Back's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: The Rise of Greece

I like it. The text is a good read. I'd suggest you go on

Civis

yeah!

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

This is SPAAAARTAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! erm I mean Greece...I like it so far.....

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Thanks guys. I'll be updating this everyday, I'll post the next chapter when I get home later.

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Careful - doing an AAR can be very time consuming

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
    Careful - doing an AAR can be very time consuming
    I second that, from experience.

continue this, the start is good!
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Chapter 2: The Return of the King

Immediately, the Spartan king Areus accompanied by his trusted and loyal son Acrotatus sieged the city of Corinth during the summer months of 280 BC. Rash decisions can cause rash consequences, as stated. Areus the great king did not realize the movement of Macedonian armies moving southwards into Greece territory, and lifted the siege to defend Athens. Areus knew that defending Athens was much more precious than occupying Corinth because Athens provided large sums of income from all the trading (import and exports), mining, farming, and many more.

The Spartan King realized that Greece’s economy was crumbling, its production limited, and its military prowess weak in its current state, decided to deal with the Macedonians on diplomatic terms. Areus needed a couple of years to reinstall his defense and organize a larger and competent force to deal with the Macedonians while also managing the unstable state of the economy.

Areus sent Kaster of Elis a greeting to Polynekes of Thebai to agree on a ceasefire. The Macedonians seemed hesitant at first but finally accepted the ceasefire; perhaps waging war with both Greece and Independent GreeK Cities took a heap of their military aptitude. Thus, the agreement ended on a positive note as Areus is able to stall the bloodshed for a little while.

On the borders, the Greeks were starting to get worried of the Macedonian armies assembling on the borderline of Athens. Areus started to see this and made the first move by deciding to muster enough force to take control of Corinth. The Spartan king Areus along with his three sons Acrotatus, Chremonides, and Timoleon laid a second siege on the city in the summer months of 278 BC. This time Areus knew he had the manpower and supplies to capture Corinth and that the garrison still inside was petty.

The large Greek army numbering 2700 along with the king, his heir, and two of the greatest generals in Hellenism in this era decided to assault the city. The garrison in the large Macedonian city was feeble and weak numbering only 43 cavalrymen and had no chance of holding off the numerous army of Greece. The siege was swift and ended in a Greek victory. The capturing of Corinth relieved the Greeks because it stripped the Macedonians of an advantage of a direct assault to the Greek capital and it united the cities instead of Athens being isolated and cut off from Greece.

With Corinth quickly defeated and a compact power of trade and unity between all the Greek cities, Areus decided to initiate his campaign against the next settlement. Areus mobilized his forces to cross the Macedonian border and head into enemy territory with all of the combined forces of Greece. With quick intervention, the Macedonians dispatched two reconnaissance unit numbering 881 and 969 men to delay and halt the Greek invasion.

At the dawn of day, Areus assembled the army into a box shaped formation: Four phalanxes to hold the centre, one phalanx on each side to hold the flanks, Two Thureophoroi units to launch missiles, Cretan archers wrecking havoc, one Athenian hoplites and one Spartan Royal Guards to hold the formation, and Calvary securing both flanks.

Finally the battle set in as the Macdeonian clashed right into the Greek’s right flank. The right flank held off the Macedonians and begins tearing them down with superior might and will.

The Politikoi unit swerves right around the battle lines and launches hundreds and hundreds of javelins right into the backs of the Macedonian hoplites. The Macedonian hoplites were overwhelmed from front and back. Greek spears pummel them from the front and air-speeding javelins ripping towards them in the back. The Macedonians stood no chance and begin losing their morale.

Acrotatus and Timoleon’s men rode behind the battle lines and smashed right into the demoralized pikeman and caused a route to ensue. The Macedonians felt the pressure and weight of the battle; they knew that they could not hold out any longer and started to run to the hills.

Acrotatus and Timoleon quickly set off for the chase as they begin cutting down hundreds and hundreds of hoplites right in the back and exterminated them into Hades. Ares looks down and must be proud of Greece’s accomplishments today.

While Acrotatus and Timoleon were busying slashing the cowardly backs of the Macedonian hoplites, Chremonides and the missile calvary were busy holding off the second unit of Macedonian hoplites. After they had finished the job, they turned right around and smashed right into the backs of the battered hoplites. This quickly finished the battle as the hoplites were killed to the man.

The first battle in Macedonian territory ended on a positive note and things looked bright for the young army.

The Macedonians only started to realize the threat of the Greek army and began mounting soldiers to resist the invasion. The people of Thebes were petrified as they noticed that the Greek army was marching right to their walls. Their governor quickly dispatched messengers to the Macedonian king Antigonos and asked for protection and troops to defend the city. Their call was heard as Antigonos and a handful of troops marched to the border of Thebes and engaged Areus and the large Greek army.

Turns out that Antigonos was delayed and retreated from the battlefield back into the city ofThebes. Instead, a small force was dispatched and was quickly overwhelmed by the imperial army of Greece. The Macedonians failed to stop the Greek invasion and left their city of Thebes undefended by any army.

PS. Thanks for the comments guys, hope you enjoy the story.

Yeah Now destroy those foul Macedonians in their own streets

Quote Originally Posted by TM Is Back View Post
    Yeah Now destroy those foul Macedonians in their own streets

yay, take'em down!

Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

keep it up, we need more territory

Civis

destroy them!!

Visiar's Avatar Centenarius

Awesome AAR!

"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right"
    -Billy Graham
    When did you become interested in politics?
    The very instant I became old.

Chapter 3: The Death of a King

In just two years, the Greeks have made astounding victory after victory and the Macedonians suffered defeat after defeat. The Macedonians were starting to get wary that the gods have started to despise them.

Prior to the outbreak of the war, the Macedonians outclassed the lowly Greeks in every way from military prowess, to economics, to population, to territory, pretty much in every aspect but now wondered in their terror… How in the name of Hades did the Greeks overcome such obstacles?

Charax of Gythion was assigned a new task to spy on the city of Thebes; if successful it would assure Greece the capture of Thebes.

On a summer night, Charax slipped into the city walls undetected. The man was truly blessed with the power of the shadows and darkness, Erebos must be blessing us right now. The task was simple; find the type of buildings, the force of the garrison, information on the governor/ruler of the city, and any other information that would assist Greece.

In the early morning of the next day, Charax knocked on the doors of Areus. Areus awoke and was given the news: unlike Corinth, the city of Thebes was moderately defended by approximately 1800 men along with the king of Macedon himself. From this news, Areus was proud and happy to know that Antigonos, the scourge, would be slain soon by his soldiers.

Areus took three days to prepare and force marched his troops to Thebes. The battle was on… King vs King.

On sight of the city, Areus surrounded the perimeters and prepared his force for the invasion. Easily, his force outnumbered the Macedonians.

This smelled like a bad omen for the Macedonians and a good omen for us because by the time our armies have reached their gates, Charax of Gythion has unlocked the gates for us which would ensure that the casualties would be minimal.

The newly recruits of Militia Phalangites was directed to cross through the entrance and take the walls of Thebes and crush enemy forces at the gate.

The experienced and accurate Cretan archers nailed arrows after arrows into the enemy’s frightened and weakened hearts.

The new recruits engaged the experienced Macedonian units and overwhelmed them with sheer numbers. The Macedonians held their ground well even with few troops but stood no chance.

Each side dukes it out on the streets of Thebes with neither one gaining significant ground advantage yet…

Intense battle, as the Macedonians are slowly being pushed further back until their backs are evenly against Thebe’s buildings. They started to fear that there would be no escape route…

On the other end of the battle, it was ill for the Greeks – and Areus could see this. The new recruits could not stand up to the tight experienced phalanx of the Macedonians and worst of all; their king Antigonos lifted their spirits. With their king, the Macedonians fought fierce and harder than Areus and his soldiers have ever seen, it was like his presence was a presence of their deity. As seconds and minutes ticked by, our forces were beginning to decimate.

Areus quickly saw that if he didn’t do something, it would be grave danger for his men. Areus quickly ordered the Thureophoroi to rush in to the city walls and reinforce the Phalangites. The Thureophoroi were successful in sustaining the line and held off the Macedonian forces.

Shortly after, the foolish king did not pull out of the grave danger and instead stayed with his troops to fight, with this, his life was cut short by a durable spear right through his chest. The king heaved and breathed and fell off his horse. His bodyguards rushed to his side, hoping to revive him, but utterly fell as his corpse turned cold. The Greek states have slain the Macedonian king, and with this turn of event, the grieving Macedonians lost heart while the Greeks celebrated in joy. The situation was becoming clear that the battle would shortly be over, and in favor of our side.

The battle was still raging on as the Macedonians still had numerous amounts of troops left.

Areus saw that the battle would soon be over rushed in with his generals and Calvary to take the stage. He joined his infantry on the onslaught as he crushed every Macedonian soldier that still held their pikes and shields. After the brutal annihilation, the battle cleared and only one flag remained in the centre… and it was the Greek flag.

Thanks for the comments guys, enjoy the upcoming chapters.
    Last edited by eternalsonata; May 15, 2010 at 01:47 PM.

knguyen_93's Avatar Civis

Greek is a tough faction to go, especially when the Gaul Independent failed to smash 2 full stacks of Macedon North of Pella

Not bad. Fighting in cities isn't the easiest thing to do in XGM

Civis

no, abselutly (sp?) not. the only thing you can rely on is the quality of your troops, and the accuracy of the towers. there isn't much room for strategy

Here's a mini update. I have plenty more chapters coming but I just gotta upload them.

Chapter 4: A New Alliance A New Hope

Areus sent scouts to reconnoiter the perimeters and what lies ahead of the Greek borders. The messengers came back with terrific news, they introduced to us that not only have the Macedonians been a scar to us but also a scar to the Independent Greek City States. Areus exploited this and took advantage of it by proposing trade rights, map information, and alliances that would unite them to push back the ruthless Macedonians.

After resupplying their forces, building stronger arms, and boosting the economy, Areus and his generals continued their campaign by marching towards the city of Larissa in the summer months of 275 BC hoping to capture it. On their march and encampment, an assassin sent by the Macedonians were close to killing Areus. While Areus was sleeping and his bodyguards drinking all night, the Assassin slipped inside Areus’ tent and was about to deal the death blow when all of a sudden Acrotatus – one of Areus’ sons dealt a blow to the assassin’s arm breaking his arm and heaving a blow to his face knocking his consciousness out of him for a split second. Areus woke to his surprise seeing his son and a common looking soldier brawling it out in his tent. He quickly realized that one of his soldiers was actually a spy of the Macedonians and has come to take his head. The assassin quickly regained his consciousness and ran quickly outside the tent and stole one of the horses at the stables before anyone realizing and marched back to Macedon. On this day, the assassin may have survived but luckily so has our king.

On the other hand, the Gauls have sent a diplomat in times of need and despair to resolve the conflict between our nation and theirs. The Gauls were occupied with the Romans and we were busy dealing with the Macedonians, thus we accepted their proposal of ceasefire since it would benefit both sides.

Nice story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast