Thread: NER House Rules

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

Default NER House Rules

I think it is a good idea to have a thread for suggesting "House Rules" to play NER with. Obviously, the game is limited, and there is only so much the modders can do to make the AI play smarter and more "human" like. Also, even with NER playing on H/H, I mop the floor with my opponents if I use cheap tactics.

Therefore, I find it very much increases the fun to impose certain rules on myself.

Here's a few I can think of, feel free to comment and add your own.

Again, play the game you like, but I suggest the following to increase the challenge:

- If you screw up or lose a battle, just keep playing the game. No reloading saves for the best outcome. If you auto-calc a battle and lose, don't reload, just deal with it.

- No smash and leave tactic, ever. What I mean by this is, sometimes it's tempting to take a province from the enemy, loot it, destroy the buildings, and then just leave, letting the rebels or the original owner to take it back. This technique makes it way too easy to generate huge amounts of cash and really screw over the AI, who now has a worthless province to remedy back to health. In game terms, it takes one turn to destroy the buildings and MANY to rebuild, so don't do this to the AI.

-If playing Britain: No port raids on anybody. You can blockade them, but don't continually actually go into the port and thereby trash it. Not only does this stop the trade flow but it also means the AI has to A. Send troops to get your ships out, and B. actually repair the damaged port. This doesn't always happen, and the AI can't cope with you continously doing it, so let them keep it open.

-If playing Britain. Give France a two year safety period, and no attacks on Paris until that two years is over with.

Default Re: NER House Rules

With the morale system, it feels a little cheap to chase down large numbers of routed troops, vet my cavalry up massively and really hurt the AI by wiping out their army completely.

I think i may start leaving routed units and let them run.

important house rule for now - disband the 0exp Old Guard unit at the start of campaign...

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy1973 View Post
    With the morale system, it feels a little cheap to chase down large numbers of routed troops, vet my cavalry up massively and really hurt the AI by wiping out their army completely.

I think i may start leaving routed units and let them run.
    That definitely will make the game harder (or at least it will force you to fight another battle to wipe them out) but I dunno if its realistic. Thats's one of the primary missions for your cavalry anyway.

How about you only use your light cavalry for chasing them down? No using dragoons or lancers, etc. to chase them. That's staying historical and reducing the number of kills you inflict on them.

i never continue battle after enemy routs...

no i mean during the battle. i may just stop chasing a routing unit fullstop. light cav have enough stamina to chase down far too many troops as the battle is raging. it is open to abuse when units break with higher than normal troop numbers still remaining.

yes, but you cant use that unit for something more important... i always use my cavalry for deceisive blows, i don't care about routing enemy, i always try to make them all rout

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    important house rule for now - disband the 0exp Old Guard unit at the start of campaign...
    Why not just increase xp in startpos to 5 or 6 chevrons but set unit limit to 2 (or 4 at a pinch) to prevent spamming?

we dont have modified startpos file yet. and Old Guard has only 2 units. reason for that House rule is that with new experience system this 0exp Old Guard is a fluke - there was no such thing as Inexperienced veteran Guard unit...