Thread: Steam Setup

Default Steam Setup

I tried using ROFL Copters guide but its outdated since steam was changed. I did though use something from ROFL's guide so i wont be taking all the credit
    Hope that this will get stickied to help in the future.

Guide:

1. open steam.
    2. right click on Rome: total war - Alexander.
    3. click properties.
    4. Under General tap there should be something called "set launch options..."
    5. write this "-applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia" without the quote marks. then OK.
    6. Go to the Updates Tab next to General. Open the slide down and click on "Do not automatically update this game" and then close in right corner.
    7. run the game via Rome: total war - Alexander in steam.
    (8, not a must). IF you want to play Rome total war - Alexander, just delete "-applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia" and copy it to a notebook on desktop or something, so if you want to play it you can just follow this guide again.

Have fun playing!

Note: I used "-applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia" from ROFL Copters guide.

Kind regards, moizzz

Default Re: Steam Setup

Hello,

Thanks moizzz for helping out regarding this. However, I still am not able to run this mod. I have followed your instructions exactly. But when starting Alexander within Steam, the game only comes to the Creative Assembly splash screen. Then an error message appears: "Failed to read censored word dictionary file: data//chat_filter.san". After pressing the OK button, I get a CTD. Could you please provide some more info regarding this?

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Hello,

Thanks moizzz for helping out regarding this. However, I still am not able to run this mod. I have followed your instructions exactly. But when starting Alexander within Steam, the game only comes to the Creative Assembly splash screen. Then an error message appears: "Failed to read censored word dictionary file: data//chat_filter.san". After pressing the OK button, I get a CTD. Could you please provide some more info regarding this?
    are you sure you installed properly? Ive heard other people with similar problems.
    steam changed the way shortcuts work so they ruined the way i used to fix this problem.
    Try reinstalling(remove aristeia folder), you MUST change the install path in the installer to your RTW-Alexander folder.
    The location is steam\steamapps\common\rome total war alexander.
    this was one of the methods of fixing it. hopefully it works.

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by moizzz View Post
    I tried using ROFL Copters guide but its outdated since steam was changed. I did though use something from ROFL's guide so i wont be taking all the credit
    Hope that this will get stickied to help in the future.

Guide:

1. open steam.
    2. right click on Rome: total war - Alexander.
    3. click properties.
    4. Under General tap there should be something called "set launch options..."
    5. write this "-applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia" without the quote marks. then OK.
    6. Go to the Updates Tab next to General. Open the slide down and click on "Do not automatically update this game" and then close in right corner.
    7. run the game via Rome: total war - Alexander in steam.
    (8, not a must). IF you want to play Rome total war - Alexander, just delete "-applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia" and copy it to a notebook on desktop or something, so if you want to play it you can just follow this guide again.

Have fun playing!

Note: I used "-applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia" from ROFL Copters guide.

Kind regards, moizzz
    This was possible before, however I thought that my way was faster.

Thanks moizzz and ROFL Copter for a swift reply. I also figured out that you must install the Aristea mod in the separate "rome total war alexander" directory, i.e. not in the "rome total war gold" folder. After the re-installation, I then used moizzz instruction in order to launch the mod. However, I have serious graphical problems when playing this mod. The courser disappears and the display switches on and off. I am not sure this is due to Steam though.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL Copter View Post
    This was possible before, however I thought that my way was faster.
    the recent steam change made the shortcuts into urls making it impossible to follow your guide.
    its funny how steam does their best to annoy users :S

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

As I said before the other way has been possible all along, however I didnt want to use it because I wasnt sure if it would let me start up the regular game any more without changing it back. But now there is no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL Copter View Post
    As I said before the other way has been possible all along, however I didnt want to use it because I wasnt sure if it would let me start up the regular game any more without changing it back. But now there is no choice.
    yup. this way isnt that slow anyways once you know how to do it. but anyways. hf around
    long live steam!