Thread: "Into the artifice of eternity..." a Roman (Byzantine) AAR

Default "Into the artifice of eternity..." a Roman (Byzantine) AAR

All right, this is my first AAR. I'm using DLV 6.2, with Battlefield Balance 2.7. I'm playing Romans, Historical, VH/VH, all scripts enabled except the "character required" one, and Total War off. Hopefully the other installments won't be so long-winded. Creative writing isn't exactly my strong point. If you have any advice or anything, feel free to speak up, I won't be offended!

Basileia Rhōmaiōn, A.D. 1180 Summer

Byzantium is the shadow that remains of the old Roman Empire. It is a mere shadow because despite retaining the civilised ways of the Roman legacy, the Byzantines have done little to further it. In fact, it is their reverence of the old ways that has brought the empire to a point of stagnation, in a world that has gradually kept moving on. The differences between the thinking in Byzantium and the west were most profoundly highlighted with the Great Schism, the division of Christendom. Despite boasting the world's trade capital and home of Orthodox Christianity in Constantinople, the Byzantine Empire is well past its zenith and is now in steady decline. The outer regions of the empire have been slipping from the Emperor's grasp for decades now. To the west, the Normans have taken southern Italy, and in the east the Turks have moved into Asia Minor after their decisive and terrible victory at Manzikert. The latter of these two losses was the worst defeat the Empire had suffered in its entire history. To make matters worse, general corruption, chaos and dissent has lead to some of the other provinces closer to home to rebel.

Arguably, the greatest threat to Byzantium lies in its independence from Rome. There is significant risk that the lords of the west will consider the lands of Orthodox Christianity to be fair game unless the Pope decrees otherwise. It is a true irony that Constantinople may now have to appease Rome after becoming the new capital of the Roman Empire centuries ago.If the Byzantine Empire is to once again become the dominant power of the east, then it will first need to reclaim its heartlands wholly before encroaching upon the borders of another power. The Byzantine legacy is long and predominantly proud, but unless the Emperor can turn things around in a hurry, it is a legacy that will soon end.

1180-1181

Meet Emperor Manuel. Since taking the throne in 1143, he has fought against Italians, Egyptians, Hungarians, and Turks (to name a few). He has dealt with a massive crusade and developed diplomatic relations with Rome, Jerusalem, and (after a decisive victory) Hungary. He has witnessed massive victories and crushing defeats that most men wouldn't even dream of. Entering his 38th year of rule, he has already cemented his place in history. But his job isn't nearly over.

The capital, Constantinople is the jewel of the empire. It is a massive metropolis and the current home of Manuel. Its neighbors are Adrianople and Nicaea (containing a crucial castle). North of Adrianople is Hungary, Kiev, and Novgorod. Manuel expects this area to be relatively peaceful, given the recent beating his mighty army gave the Hungarians. Kiev and Novgorod could be valuable trading partners and allies if all goes well. To the east lies Rebel settlements, just begging to be conquered. Beyond them, the Turks.

To the west, the Peloponnesian Peninsula contains the settlements of Durazzo, Thessalonica, Corinth, and Athens. There is a significant rebel presence, and the Isle of Corfu must be taken eventually. But with the Turkish threat, and rebel forces closer to Constantinople, this area will have to take a back seat for now. Its time will come.

To the south lie the smaller settlements of Abydus, Smyrna, and Attalia. Attalia is in the midst of a revolt and Manuel has deployed troops from Smyrna, Abydus, Nicaea, and Constantinople itself to combat this threat. Time is running short, but once all the troops arrive they should have no problem, even if (god forbid) they have to re-take the settlement.

But Iraklion, located in the Mediterranean sea, is in complete chaos. The citizens have forced the garrison out. They now wait in the countryside for the next available fleet to pick them up. They will either be headed to reinforce Attalia or to the capital to bolster defenses. Through all the chaos they have remained loyal, and trust that they won't be abandoned on this hostile island.

Finally, to the northeast, lies Sinope. Manuel's son Alexios is stationed here, and will focus on his governing and leadership ability while this Attalia situation is taken care of. Manuel has insisted that he stay safe, but it is only a matter of time until he will be called to help with the capturing of rebel settlements to his immediate south. Not to mention the Turks, who will certainly capture the settlements first if Manuel is not fast enough...
    Last edited by TheKenoshaKid; May 09, 2010 at 08:05 PM.

Coeur de Lion's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: "Into the artifice of eternity..." a Roman (Byzantine) AAR

Hi there,

Congrats on starting your AAR. I do have some constructive advice for you though. We have all seen these campaigns, there are no surprises especially in the first 40 or so turns. Simply reporting the campaign holds little interest for me I'm afraid. You have to consider that an 'After Action Report' should be something worth telling others about like a glorious victory or something; and whilst AAR is not used in it's truest sense, this 'fan fiction' does require some sense of plot and storyline.
    I would be very interested if you had done something new and ingenious in your BtR campaign, however this is only worth telling after it has happened.

I am sorry to discourage you, and this is only my opinion, but I think it best not to write an AAR until you actually have something worth reporting.
    I hope I have not offended you with my comments.

CdL

Hi,

Well done for this new AAR.
    It's a very good description of the state of your Kingdom. I've never played BtR and it is one unique faction. I'm sure you can do epics stories with it.

My advice should be that you choose a special objective to reach and to put all the strength of your Kingdom in it, taking risks.
    Indeed, if your purpose is to expand your Kingdom without special direction, it is quite the usual way of playing and experienced player will now what is going to happen.

Anyway, I think that you write very well and I would be pleased to see great and epic conquests.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Coeur de Lion View Post
    Hi there,

Congrats on starting your AAR. I do have some constructive advice for you though. We have all seen these campaigns, there are no surprises especially in the first 40 or so turns. Simply reporting the campaign holds little interest for me I'm afraid. You have to consider that an 'After Action Report' should be something worth telling others about like a glorious victory or something; and whilst AAR is not used in it's truest sense, this 'fan fiction' does require some sense of plot and storyline.
    I would be very interested if you had done something new and ingenious in your BtR campaign, however this is only worth telling after it has happened.

I am sorry to discourage you, and this is only my opinion, but I think it best not to write an AAR until you actually have something worth reporting.

CdL
    No offense taken. I'm about 50 years ahead in my actual game, and like I said my future posts won't be as detailed (especially when nothing really has happened yet). I just wanted to set up the action.

Think of that as more of a "prologue" than "Chapter 1". And you're right, things are kinda sparse for the first couple decades. I should have the actual "first chapter" up sometime tonight once I organize all my screenshots and decide good spots to divide the first couple chapters.

Hi there,

CdL
    I don't entirely agree with Coeur de Lion on this matter. One reason I enjoy setups like this is that they provide a preview of a mod I may not have played yet. That said, it's always great if you can spice things up in a given AAR. Looking forward to the rest, Kenosha. (Also, I appreciated the Yeats reference in the title.)
    Last edited by Cyprian2; September 08, 2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: forgot quote!