Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Most powerful superpower in history?

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Most powerful superpower in history?

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Mitch, Your humble servant♔ View Post

China owns a rediculous amount of the precious metals that all modern weaponry uses. Pretty soon China could hold the USA hostage by not selling them any.
    even if that was true and they tried that, in 4 months the USA would have destroyed thier entire military and force them to trade

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    even if that was true and they tried that, in 4 months the USA would have destroyed thier entire military and force them to trade
    ... Opinions of 12 year old American fan boys matter little to me if I'm honest.

You think America would invade China for refusing to trade regardless of the consequences.. I laugh at you prefusely.

Wolfcp11's Avatar Senator

... Opinions of 12 year old American fan boys matter little to me if I'm honest.

You think America would invade China for refusing to trade regardless of the consequences.. I laugh at you prefusely.
    You think China would stop trade with America regardless of the economic and political consequences? "I laugh at you profusely"
    "Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit." -Oscar Wilde

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfcp11 View Post
    You think China would stop trade with America regardless of the economic and political consequences? "I laugh at you profusely"

But no seriously the matter of the Chinese monopoly on the precious metals was featured widely on the BBC news. And in the near future will become an even greater problem for Americans, I hope you are American so when this time comes, I can laugh at you and your government profusely.

Britain's got to be a strong contender - when it was a superpower it introduced the world to steam power and the Industrial Revolution, which had a huge impact on socioeconomic and cultural conditions throughout the world. Obviously Empire's impacted things greatly in their time too, but in regards to social effeects and innovations, i.e, urbanisation, transport, etc... this Industrial Revolution had a strong influence on today's world.
    Last edited by HannibalB; May 09, 2010 at 03:44 PM.
    "Hannibal was like a boxer faced by a heavier opponent; he feinted, weaved and dodged, and kept out of range - but his punch was devastating when he saw the chance."

-Professor John F. Lazenby

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

we wouldn't invade them, we would sink their navy and blockade their country until they resume normal trade relations, the thought of China doing anything to damage our relations is idiotic anyway

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

If China refused trade with the US it would collapse. And so would the world economy.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    we wouldn't invade them, we would sink their navy and blockade their country until they resume normal trade relations, the thought of China doing anything to damage our relations is idiotic anyway
    Cool story bro.. I'm gona go ahead on a wild one here and guess you think that the MW2 storyline is based on past events?

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Søren View Post
    Why? I would say that the Byzantine Empire was no more than a regional power, at any stage.
    There were times in which the Byzantine Empire controlled the fates of tis neighboring nations or barbarian tribes (Huns, Sassanids, Bulgarians, Ostrogoths, Vandals etc), the Papal Seat (early Byzantine Empire) and had made vassals many Crusader States.. The Byzantines also controlled trade in the Eastern Mediterranean until the end of the Komnenian dynasty.. The fact that the Byzantine Empire was the strongest nation of Europe and Western Asia until at least 1071 and managed to keep at bay all those barbarians who destroyed the Western Roman Empire successfully preserving civilization makes them the strongest power in Europe during at least the Early Medieval Age..
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

China needs the US more than the US needs China. China knows that which is why its been careful to keep good relations with the US.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

If we scale down to the land they controlled easily the Roman Empire. They utterly controlled all the land they took. If we go by the world I would say it would be a tie between the U.S right after the cold war and the British Empire at its peak.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Quote Originally Posted by RVFVS View Post
    If we scale down to the land they controlled easily the Roman Empire. They utterly controlled all the land they took. If we go by the world I would say it would be a tie between the U.S right after the cold war and the British Empire at its peak.
    No they didn't.

They lost land in Germany at times, and only controlled some land for a short time. And they had constant rivals with near equal power.

I really ing hate when people try to retroactively apply modern terms to older times. Guess who you have to choose from in the competition of most powerful super powers? Soviet Union, United States of America, and the British Empire. Those were the entities the phrase was coined for-- not the Romans, not Alexander, not the ancient Chinese, not the ing Pope, not damn Aztec Empire or the freakin' Mongols. Damn.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Future Redleg Officer View Post
    China needs the US more than the US needs China. China knows that which is why its been careful to keep good relations with the US.
    Your right China does need the US, the US is the reason the Chinese econonmy is one of the most sound in the world.

So much so China is the greatest foreign investor into US debt, simply to stay on good terms.

But to say "China needs the US more than the US needs China" is just... wrong.

China trades to the US, and the US buys of China, so like you said they need each other.

But should these two entities stop trading, China would suffer a massive hit to its economy. The US however would not have an economy, lets see what happens when Chinese goods don't go to the US, and China stops paying the US for friendship.

The US would crumble and China would suffer a great deal, but the US needs China farrr more.

This coming from a British man, I obviously prefer the Americans to the Chinese, we're allies. But what your saying is just pure nonsense.

No they didn't.

They lost land in Germany at times, and only controlled some land for a short time. And they had constant rivals with near equal power.
    Like who? The Sassanids only came after around 200 years after the establishment of the principate, and the Parthians were hardly Rome's equal, let alone the tribes that roamed the fringes of the empire in Africa, Germany, the Danube and Arabia. There was Dacia, sure, but it was small and we all know what happened to it, anyway. Rome did not absorb Germany or Parthia because it simply was logistically overstretched as it was. They could have easily taken Germany after the Varus fiasco, as Germanicus' punitive campaigns amply prove, they just did not deem it worth it to squander so many resources in taking and holding a land as poor as ancient Germania, especially since the latter may have required an expansion of the army. As far as Persia goes, it simply would have taken too large a mobilization of resources to effectively pacify, even Trajan's epic campaign only managed to hold Mesopotamia, and not for long, even though it was militarily successful. Just look how hard it was to hold the relatively tiny Dacia, and it becomes obvious that Rome was simply overstretched. This doesn't mean they were unable to exert 'soft power' such as setting client kings in Germania or Armenia, however.
    Last edited by Herakleios; May 09, 2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

“The principal office of history I take to be this: to prevent virtuous actions from being forgotten, and that evil words and deeds should fear an infamous reputation with posterity.” -Tacitus

Your right China does need the US, the US is the reason the Chinese econonmy is one of the most sound in the world.

So much so China is the greatest foreign investor into US debt, simply to stay on good terms.

But to say "China needs the US more than the US needs China" is just... wrong.

China trades to the US, and the US buys of China, so like you said they need each other.

But should these two entities stop trading, China would suffer a massive hit to its economy. The US however would not have an economy, lets see what happens when Chinese goods don't go to the US, and China stops paying the US for friendship.

The US would crumble and China would suffer a great deal, but the US needs China farrr more.

This coming from a British man, I obviously prefer the Americans to the Chinese, we're allies. But what your saying is just pure nonsense.
    No it wouldn't collapse as much as China's...

US-China trade accounts for about 7.5% of China's GDP, but only about 1.5% of the US GDP. Further, China's stability is wholey dependent on its economic growth.

China's main advantage to the US is its cheap labor. Vietnam and India could take that role, though it would cost the US a big temporary hit.
    Last edited by Farnan; May 09, 2010 at 04:12 PM.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

No it wouldn't collapse as much as China's...

US-China trade accounts for about 7.5% of China's GDP, but only about 1.5% of the US GDP.
    And do you know how much of what the US imports (in other words needs to function) comes from China?

Do you how much China imports from the US? Oh wait nothing.

And do you know how much of what the US imports (in other words needs to function) comes from China?

Do you how much China imports from the US? Oh wait nothing.
    I do know how much the US imports from China, but none of it is needed to function. Its mostly consumer goods. Oh and China imports 64 Billion dollars of goods from the US.

The Chinese exports to the US keep its economy running. To look simply at imports reveals an extreme ignorance of economics.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

I do know how much the US imports from China, but none of it is needed to function. Its mostly consumer goods. Oh and China imports 64 Billion dollars of goods from the US.

The Chinese exports to the US keep its economy running. To look simply at imports reveals an extreme ignorance of economics.
    But when you look at the imports of both corisponding countries your looking at the exports too...

And yes I know China does import some stuff but nothing on the scale of what the US imports.

My point is that China is a less dependant country on US than the US is on China, China is one of the most self sufficient countires on earth...

And the fact that you think what the US imports is just "consumer goods" actualy made me laugh...

Where you not here when we were discussing the precious metal problem that the US is going to have with China in the near future... let alone all of the other things that are not "consumer goods" that the US actualy needs to make things like weapons, vehicles and pretty much all electronic goods..

Quote Originally Posted by Landsknecht_88 View Post
    I think that one can make a good case that Britain was the strongest power in the World at its height. But I wouldn't call it a superpower. After all, on the European continent they could not hope to project their power significantly.
    Nor can the US across most of the globe now or in 1950. The point was that by 1914 Britain effectively dominated nearly everything outside of Europe. It's power on an international scale was immense and pretty unrivalled throughout history.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones