Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Most powerful superpower in history?

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Most powerful superpower in history?

I've been thinking, the most powerful superpower in the world was probably, the USA at the end of WW2.

I'm sure being the only country in the world with Nuclear weapons, regardless of how long it stayed that way, means they were in the position of the most powerful, influential country ever.

It becomes tricky to evaluate the Roman Empire vs. that of China. Both were great powers, but neither was capable at any given time to project its power to fight the other effectively. All in all, I would say that the term superpower can't be applied to the ancient world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer View Post
    I would say the British Empire at it's height. Whilst the US only had influence, the UK had far more direct power and influence. At the height of the US, it had influence over large parts of Latin America, parts of Africa and parts of Asia, whilst being allied to Europe. The UK, at it's height, directly controlled vast swathes of Asia, Africa, the Americas and Australasia; it indirectly controlled more of Asia, the Americas, Africa and Australasia and had alot of influence in pretty much every continent.
    I think that one can make a good case that Britain was the strongest power in the World at its height. But I wouldn't call it a superpower. After all, on the European continent they could not hope to project their power significantly.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Landsknecht_88 View Post
    It becomes tricky to evaluate the Roman Empire vs. that of China. Both were great powers, but neither was capable at any given time to project its power to fight the other effectively. All in all, I would say that the term superpower can't be applied to the ancient world.

I think that one can make a good case that Britain was the strongest power in the World at its height. But I wouldn't call it a superpower. After all, on the European continent they could not hope to project their power significantly.
    Your saying that at the time when Britain has the largest empire the world had ever known, and still has ever seen. They were not a superpower...

YOU FAIL!

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Without a doubt the Roman Empire.

Many of the things they invented are still in use or where re invented many years after the destruction of the Roman Empire.

China is also a good contender considering how many things are produced there.

The USA controlls mostly the entertainment branche, mostly they just like to call themselves the most powerfull which might be more arrogance on their part than truth. They dragged half the world down into an economic crisis, thats not exactly the influence a country wants to have. The war on terrorism isnt exactly going that great either, and Bush seemed to go out of his way to offend almost everyone, causing most of the world to get a hostile attitude towards the USA. Relations seem to get a lot better with Obama though.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Without a doubt the Roman Empire.

Many of the things they invented are still in use or where re invented many years after the destruction of the Roman Empire.

China is also a good contender considering how many things are produced there.

The USA controlls mostly the entertainment branche, mostly they just like to call themselves the most powerfull which might be more arrogance on their part than truth. They dragged half the world down into an economic crisis, thats not exactly the influence a country wants to have. The war on terrorism isnt exactly going that great either, and Bush seemed to go out of his way to offend almost everyone, causing most of the world to get a hostile attitude towards the USA. Relations seem to get a lot better with Obama though.
    Yeah america ing sucks.

I'm moving to North Korea.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus26 View Post
    If we are to go by your definition of a "a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world" then the Roman Empire does not apply. Did the Romans influence events in Ancient China or India for example?
    Did Romans influence Esquimos or Maori? No. Did Romans influenced their known world at the time? Yes

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Mitch, Your humble servant♔ View Post
    Ermm Great Britain, seen as they owned the largest empire in history, I guess you could put them in a position of power as of that time.

33.7 million sq km in 1922
    size=/=power
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

Quote Originally Posted by davide.cool View Post
    Did Romans influence Esquimos or Maori? No. Did Romans influenced their known world at the time? Yes
    Yet they knew of India and China but they had little influence on events outside of Europe and parts of the Middle East.
    Last edited by Erebus Pasha; May 09, 2010 at 12:46 PM.

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Your saying that at the time when Britain has the largest empire the world had ever known, and still has ever seen. They were not a superpower...

YOU FAIL!
    run by Irish peolpe for Irish peolpe and maybe abit of England helped.

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus26 View Post
    Yet they knew of India and China but they had little influence on events outside of Europe and parts of the Middle East.
    The Art of Parthians - (The Circle of Ancient Iranian Studies - CAIS)

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

British Empire. US is not gone to history yet so cannot include in the choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

British Empire was never that powerful, sure they owned a lot of land and had a huge navy but the land army was tiny most of the time and when it reached the maximum territorial extent their economic domination was already declining.

It really doesn't compare to the recent US that had no real competitors in any field and many would say that it is still that way even today.

Nobody thinks the roman catholic church?

at the height of its power it could influence the whole world, even though it controleld none of it. I mean it was responsible for crusades, and missions to practically every country.

Quote Originally Posted by philipOhayda View Post
    run by Irish peolpe for Irish peolpe and maybe abit of England helped.
    please tell me you aren't irish

"a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world"
    This is a very narrow criterion, and only the USA really fits it to be honest, as many have mentioned. Perhaps if you rephrased it as "a state poweful enough to influence events throughout those parts of the world which are accessible to it in terms of transport and communications technology", then we would have a more interesting discussion in our hands.

“The principal office of history I take to be this: to prevent virtuous actions from being forgotten, and that evil words and deeds should fear an infamous reputation with posterity.” -Tacitus

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Yes, he's saying that Britain couldn't be called a superpower because it couldn't easily win a European land-based war. I agree with him that it wasn't a superpower comparable to the U.S., though I'd probably still call it a superpower because of it's economic and naval clout.

YOU FAIL!
    Touché.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

I think that depends on each era and tis characteristics..
    Alexander's Empire, Roman Empire
    Early-Middle Byzantine Empire
    Empire of Napoleon
    British Empire
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

If we take into account limitations in technology, geography and communications, there are plenty that could be discussed, including ancient ones: Akkad, New Kingdom Egypt, the Hittites, Assyria, Achaemenid Persia, the Macedonian empire, Mauryan India, Rome, the Caliphate, Han/Tang China, the Mongols, Timur's empire, the Ottomans, Spain, Napoleonic France, Britain, Soviet Union, USA etc. However, the problem lies is gauging the logistical parameters within which each empire operated and which one of them managed to achieve the most power within these.
    Last edited by Herakleios; May 09, 2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

“The principal office of history I take to be this: to prevent virtuous actions from being forgotten, and that evil words and deeds should fear an infamous reputation with posterity.” -Tacitus

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    Early-Middle Byzantine Empire
    Why? I would say that the Byzantine Empire was no more than a regional power, at any stage.

Why? I would say that the Byzantine Empire was no more than a regional power, at any stage.
    Perhaps he is talking about the Eastern Roman empire, there were moments, such as Thodosius' reign, in which it controlled the whole of the old Roman empire.