Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PREVIEW: the Kingdom of Cilician Armenia

Default PREVIEW: the Kingdom of Cilician Armenia

This week we preview the last faction we decided to include: (Cilician) Armenia. Located between two mighty empires, and with a set of unique units this should prove to be an interesting faction to play.

CILICIAN ARMENIA

INTRODUCTION

In AD 301, Armenia became the first state to adopt Christianity as its official state religion, twelve years before the Roman Empire granted Christianity official toleration. There had been various pagan communities before Christianity, but they were converted by an influx of Christian missionaries.

Having changed between various dynasties - including Parthian, Roman, Arab, Mongol and Persian occupations - Armenian identity was at a loss. The Armenians were under Seljuk Turkish rule in the following years, with the nomad Turks occupying Anatolia from 1071 AD. The Seljuk invasion of Armenia was followed by an exodus of Armenians southwards, and in 1080, Rhupen, a relative of the last king of Ani, founded in the heart of the Cilician Taurus a small principality, which gradually expanded into the kingdom of Lesser Armenia or Armenia Minor.

This Christian kingdom situated in the midst of Moslem states, hostile to the Byzantines, giving valuable support to the crusaders, and trading with the great commercial cities of Italy had a stormy existence of about 300 years. Gosdantin (1095-1100) assisted the crusaders on their march to Antioch, and was created knight and marquis. Thoros I (1100-1123), in alliance with the Christian princes of Syria, waged successful war against the Byzantines and Seljuk Turks. Levond II (1187-1219), extended the kingdom beyond Mount Taurus and established the capital at Sis. He assisted the crusaders, was crowned king by the archbishop of Mainz, and married one of the Lusignans of Cyprus. Haithon I (r. 1226-1270) made an alliance with the Mongols, who, before their adoption of Islam, protected his kingdom from the Mamelukes of Egypt. When Levond V died (1342), John of Lusignan was crowned king as Gosdantin IV; but he and his successors alienated the Armenians by attempting to make them conform to the Roman Church, and by giving all posts of honor to Latins, and at last the kingdom, a prey to internal dissensions, succumbed (1375) to the attacks of the Egyptian mamelukes. Cilicia Trachea was conquered by the Ottomans in the 15th century, but Cilicia Pedias remained independent until 1515.

THE ARMY

Caucasian Mountaineers
    When the Armenian Naxarars (lords) fled Armenia from the onslaught of the Seljuk turks, they bought their retinues and warriors with them. Caucasian mountaineers were one group of mercanaries that fought for the Armenians, for the promise of plunder. They are tough fighters, having lived in harsh mountain regions, however are not well equipped and will not stand up to more heavily armed troops. They are experts at hiding in various terrain types.

Armenian Borderers
    The passes in the mountainous areas surrounding both the Armenian homelands as well as Armenian Cilicia are patrolled by these border gaurds. They can hide anywhere, and many a Turkish raid has been stopped before their targets by a well timed charged from the border gaurds, suprising and defeating them. Because ambushing was the best way to defeat the Turkish invaders, heavy equipment cannot be taken, and so these men should not be used for the front line of a battle, but for hiding and ambushing unwary opponents.

Armenian Infantry
    The bulk of the Armenian army is made up with Armenian Infantry. When Armenia was governed by the Byzantines, large numbers were drafted into the Byzantine army, and many posts in Asia Minor were manned by Armenian troops. After the Byzantine defeat at Manzikert and Asia Minor subsequently being overrun by the Seljuk turks, the Armenian militia members left the byzantine army to return to their homelands, and to the new Armenian province of Silicia.

Latin Auxilia
    When the crusaders first came into contact with the Armenians in Cilicia, they were pleased to have some friendly neighbours. After the crusaders were successful in capturing Jerusaleum, and the subsequent infighting between the states, many went on to act as Mercenaries to other Christian powers nearby, such as Armenia. Their amount was bolstered by large numbers of crusaders leaving the fourth crusade shortly after the capture of Constantinople. They are expensive to use, but have good experience from fighting a variety of enemies, and so can be relied upon in battle.

Didebuls (Early)
    Didebuls were the minor land owning classes in Armenia, comparable to the feudal knights of Western Europe. They were responsible for security of the surrounding area, and so needed to be skilled with use of arms, favouring use of horses. Like many Armenians, they left their ravaged homelands and journeyed to Cilicia. They are spear armed cavalry, and have a fairly strong charge.

Naxarar (Early)
    The Naxarar were the significant land owners of Armenia, like the feudal lords of Europe. They were administrators in peace time, and warriors in war time, fighting as a well equipped heavy cavalry unit.

WARHORSES
    As a sort of bonus: a screenshot from our new heavy warhorses. Slightly heavier and stronger then the average horse, an excellent mount for the western knights.

SIGNATURE BANNER

OLDER PREVIEWS
    A list with links to the previous previews, in case you missed any:
    The Reconquista
    Historical Battles
    Campaignmap & Rebels
    Castles & Sieges
    Northern Europe
    The Byzantine Empire
    A new game development studio focusing on historical strategy games
    http://www.the-artistocrats.com

Indefinitely Banned

Although not my favorite faction at all, the units look great and it only heightens my already very high excitement about the upcoming release. Nice work

shadepanther's Avatar Senator

nice preview. Amazing units

Cool! new horses look great!
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

Quote Originally Posted by Adherbal
    WARHORSES
    As a sort of bonus: a screenshot from our new heavy warhorses. Slightly heavier and stronger then the average horse, an excellent mount for the western knights.
    I assume the Mongol pony/horse will be less strong, but with better pace and stamina?

Naxarar is a different name of nakharar?

Looks good!

Opifex

Adherbal, I have to say that you are slowly churning out a thing of beauty here, with your mod. Look how far you've gone! Congratulations

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Wooohoow... getting BI for this beauty. ^^
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Kor Khan's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by sera
    I assume the Mongol pony/horse will be less strong, but with better pace and stamina?

Naxarar is a different name of nakharar?

Looks good!
    Eastern horses won't be as big as the European ones, the heavy ones are a speciality of knights. The Arabs and Mongols preferred maneuvreability to sheer momentum.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Great review Adherbal.. Now I can't wait for the Crusader states (Jerusalem) and build my own Kingdom of heaven
    -- Chivalry is the ONLY reason for buying BI

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

I cant wait to play these guys! Stuck between two empires and all sorts of directions to expand! Not to mention the awsome units.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Great Preveiw!!!

I cant wait to try out these guys and kick some musilim ass!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ColbytheConqueror
    Great Preveiw!!!

Can't wait to see those muslim asses! Erm. Somehow that didn't come out just as I intended. Can't wait to see the Seljuk Turks, they were my favourite faction in MTW. So versatile!

Ahmose's Avatar Libertus

Great Preveiw!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbytheConqueror
    Great Preveiw!!!

hi ColbytheConqueror, I think there are a lot of musilims over these forums,like me, so be polite and watch your words. Where are the moderators!!
    Now playing and modding for Chivalry Total War Mod although I got Medieval II Total War...

Polemarch's Avatar Tiro

Agreed. Though I really want my Byzantines to kick some Islam ass back and away from the great city :-)

well as long as its done well, the Islamic armies should be hard to stop.

Miles

The cool thing about that mod is, that it not only shows the units and sides everyone whants to play, but also those that are not actually everyones favorid. And that with this incredible cool units. Can't wait.

@Ahmos: Just wait until you can take your favorite nation and drive the british armys into the sea. Something I always liked to do in MTW.

Ruhe in Frieden, Calvin.

Quote Originally Posted by dgoodman
    well as long as its done well, the Islamic armies should be hard to stop.
    Hope so, would hate having the entire middle east and africa too, "crusaderified".

woooo hooooooo! Got my suggestion for the horses in!!! Well done Adherbal and crew!!

look forward to the mod!!!

"In the time of battle the loss of innocent life is inevatiable... thats just fate"
    - Gatts, the Black Swordsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast