Thread: [Modding request] Single Man Units?

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

Default [Modding request] Single Man Units?

I know nothing about modding, so forgive me if this is either stupidly easy, or completely impossible...I wouldn't know the difference

Is it in any way possible to create a single-man unit in NTW? Foot soldier or cavalry, it doesn't matter. If this is possible, I'd be very interested in working with someone who could do this.

cheers!

Nanny

Default Re: [Modding request] Single Man Units?

I have no idea how it happened in my game, but suddenly all units are 1 or 0 men with the new patch. Its bad because no-one can fire (melee only for everyone) so not recommended even if you could easily implement it. But still, really hilarious to watch a 20 men vs 20 men sword fight (with artillery men watching on horseback since they cannot limber/unlimber).

Artifex

now if I could duplicate that! lol

still searching for a modder that could make this happen...

But its really easy if you want to deliberately do this - just download PFM and alter the unit_stats_table to change the amount of units to 1.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ♔The Nanny♔ View Post
    I know nothing about modding...
    ok, I have the PFM...what file do I have to open to access that table mate? btw...a whole bunch of rep if this works

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Yes old friend this is indeed easy.

1. You have the PFM, open up your data.pack with it.
    2. Next go click "db", then click "unit_stats_land_tables", and finaly click "unit_stats_land".
    3. Right click on "unit_stats_land" and select "Extract selected". Extract to your desktop.
    4. Now top left, open a new mod.
    5. Right click on "Untitled.pack" and select "Add files".
    6. Add the file "unit_stats_land" from your desktop, it should be in the db folder.
    7. Next click "db", then click "unit_stats_land_tables", and finaly click "unit_stats_land".
    8. Right now my boy a table should have opened on the right.
    9. In the first column is the name of the units, find the one you want to change.
    10. Now in the second column for that unit, is the Unit Size. Change that to one.
    11. Click choose a pack action and select, change pack type, then the mod type.
    12. Save it to your data folder, and make correct ammendements to your userscript.
    I hope I helped old chap, if not please do say and I will try to explain better.
    Last edited by .Mitch.; May 08, 2010 at 11:58 AM.

klesh's Avatar Senator

I think the smallest you could get would be a 3-man unit:
    1officer
    1musician
    1soldier

I think you'd be able to make it so there is no standard bearer, or you could leave them in if you want.
    My suggestion (I presume this is for movie making) would be to perhaps set the spacing on the units very far apart, so you can get those 1-person shots as if the guy is standing by himself.

Can you post the file you're working with? You wouldn't want to be tinkering with the .packs from CA.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Artifex

@ Mitch...ok, those are simple enough instructions, even I should be able to follow...I'll give that a try
    @klesh...yes, for movie making I'll mess around with a copy of the .pack file, and backup the original...if I could only get 3 man unit, that would be ok also...thx for advice

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ♔The Nanny♔ View Post
    @ Mitch...ok, those are simple enough instructions, even I should be able to follow...I'll give that a try
    @klesh...yes, for movie making I'll mess around with a copy of the .pack file, and backup the original...if I could only get 3 man unit, that would be ok also...thx for advice
    No problem, I have done this before myself, and it works great with a general unit, however the conserns that klesh have pointed out might hamper your efforts of getting less that 3 men per unit.

However if you where to go into more detail in the PFM the drummer and flag guy etc can be removed to leave only one.

Artifex

you guys are wizards...modding is like some strange moon language to me

klesh's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch, Your humble servant View Post
    however the conserns that klesh have pointed out might hamper your efforts of getting less that 3 men per unit.

However if you where to go into more detail in the PFM the drummer and flag guy etc can be removed to leave only one.

Excellent. I am very new to this too, but my understanding of things is growing everyday.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Anyone remember the badass 1 man samuri unit in shogun?
    Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition