Thread: Romano British Provincial Campaign (download now!)

player1's Avatar Bug Hunter

Default Romano British Provincial Campaign (download now!)

Romano British provincial campaign
    by player1

Requires:
    v1.6 patch for Barbarian Invasion expansion pack

Introduction:

It's year 363 AD.
    You are Placus Flavius, appointed Dux Britannium.
    Natives call you Flavius the Horsemen, due to great skill as cavalry commander.
    By Roman emperor, you were granted the rule of Britannia province to deal with Celtic problem.
    If Celts are dealt with and army is mustered, everything is possible...

The scenario features:

-same Barbarian Invasion campaign starting in 363AD
    -playable Romano Britons in control of two Britain regions that West Roman Empire holds
    -exact same conditions in buildings and units like in main campaign
    -control of same Roman general as in main campaign, but now as new faction leader
    -need for "mini-reforms", since money is tight at start

The scenario does not include:
    -altered data files, since it's not a mod, but a provincial campaign only

Download:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=846

Installation:

Unzip the download into your Rome - Total War folder. If it's done well, you'll get a new provincial campaign available with Romano British as playable faction.

Installation does not modify any of original files, it just adds extra campaign.

Compatibility:

Since this campaign is based on slightly altered main campaign, it should work with most mini-mods that don't alter game map. For example: BUG-FIXER, DarthVader gameplay fix, etc...

Known issues:

-If your last family member dies during AI turn, you won't get defeat message and game will freeze
    -Provincial campaign suffers from same bugs that exist in main campaign

EDIT:
    I finally updated this to 1.6

More then 100 downloads of original version.

EDIT2:
    Take newest version from link at top.
    Last edited by player1; February 17, 2007 at 07:46 PM.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Reidy's Avatar Let ε<0...

i did what you said to do, but when i click on provincial campaign there is nothing to select. what did i do wrong?
    Last edited by Reidy; October 17, 2005 at 12:40 PM.

Maybe I said it wrong.

You need to extract content of zipped file to campaign folder (bi\data\world\maps\campaign, not to be confused with data\world\maps\campaign folder).
    That way you'll get Romano British subfolder, in which you need to copy radar tgas from barbarian_invasion folder.

After that, when you start BI, there would be Provincial Campaign option if you select new game.

I hope it helps!

Merged Double posts

And it will have Roman British campaign to select.
    Last edited by Proximus; March 04, 2006 at 06:49 AM.

oh... ok nevermind.
    it works now.

Any feedback?

Can you provide a more detailed readme of the key features? There is Pax Britannia V2 available already in the downloads. How is your mod different besides having the Roamano Brits unlocked?

It's main advantage/flaw is it's Provincial Campaign only.
    That means no modified rules, and will work with unmoded (or somewhat moded game) without problem.

Also these are the key points:

The scenario features:
    -Romano Britons in control of two Britain regions
    -exact same conditions in buildings and units, as exists in original BI campaign
    -control of same general, as in BI campaign, but now as new faction leader
    -need for mini-reforms as WRE, since the money is tight at start
    -bugfix for WRE general that used archers as bodyguards

The scenario does not include:
    -altered data files, since it's not a mod, but a Provincial Campaign only
    Basicly you got the control of the exact same roman province WRE starts with in original campaign. Plus you also get the same general that was stationed there.

I though that was the most realistic way of including this new faction.
    You are in control of one of the WRE provinces and shape your own destiny.

Merged double posts

Also, it's not really a mod, since it does not modify any original files.
    Call it a scenario.

Merged double posts

Quote Originally Posted by DEMETRIOUS II
    Can you provide a more detailed readme of the key features? There is Pax Britannia V2 available already in the downloads. How is your mod different besides having the Roamano Brits unlocked?
    It differs in scale.
    Pax Britannia has new skins, rules, map setup, etc...
    In short, it's more and more.

Romano British Provincial Campaign offers the same as original campaign but a bit different by giving you control of one of the WRE provinces in exact same conditions as it had in original BI campaign.

EDIT:
    Sorrty for multiposts...
    Last edited by Proximus; March 04, 2006 at 06:51 AM.

1) the family members shouldn't have the loyalty trait, as the RB have no "splinter" faction
    2) you only start with one family member - not even any children.
    3) overall a very good "scenario"

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Afaik you can't remove loyalty because it is tied to the Roman culture.
    You could, however, create a new culture called Romano_British and just copy the Roman stuff there.

Actually, without some extra moding I would not be able to remove loyalty from them, since they are, after all, a roman faction. I think emerging romano britons form original BI also have loyalty too.

As for having no wife and childern that's because original BI general, at same starting date, was unmarried too. So you need to make your new faction with marriage and adoptions (interesting change of pace). But word of warning, too quick adoptions early could ruin your economy.

Quote Originally Posted by player1
    But word of warning, too quick adoptions early could ruin your economy.
    Maan I missed this part. I know what you mean though. I started adopting everyone early on and now I'm in trouble economically. I have beaten back the Celts and had some pretty good battles so far but my economy is still in the red. I guess I'll have to kill off a couple of bad seeds. Do you have any other tips?

So far I'm enjoying your mod. It's very tough to get an economy going though. On mainland Europe the Franks are starting to take a whole bunch of provinces from the WRE. I guess when I land in Europe I will go straight into war with the Franks.

like bug-fixer is recommended for best experience, to fix some bugs with unit recruitment for Romano Britons.
    What kind of unit recruitment bugs are there?
    Last edited by DEMETRIOUS II; October 19, 2005 at 07:58 AM.

If you haven't noriced both catapult range and siege engine give nothing extra compared to archery range.
    While in custom battles, britons can use some onager and ballista units, as well as bucellarii.

P.S.
    I fixed this in bug-fixer, but it's possible there is some other mini-mod that dealt with this too.

Merged double posts

And yes, economy is though, since unlike barbarian factions, upkeep for romano-briton units is almost as bad as romans, and they don't even have best provices in the world.
    Last edited by Proximus; March 04, 2006 at 06:52 AM.

Finally updated this to 1.6 version.

Primicerius

Default Re: Romano British Provincial Campaign (download now!)

I know this hasn't been posted on in a while, but I found this mod on a recommendation from another member, and I'm having a slight problem.

I did everything you said up until copying the Radar TGAS file from Barbarian_Invasion. I looked, and there is no file of that name. The closest there are Radar_Map1.tga and Radar_Map2.tga. Are these the ones you meant, or did I mess up?

Yep, that's it.

Primicerius

I copied the Radars into the Romano British subfolder, but their were existing radar folders of the same name, so I copied over them with the ones from the Barbarian_Invasion folder. But, when i went to provincial capaign, there was nothing to select. What did I do? (This is probobly a stupid question0

Actually, it seems version uploaded here doesn't really need copying radar files, since they are already included in the relase (the confusion from moderators merging two thread about this scenario).

Now, is Romano British folder in its proper place (bi\data\world\maps\campaign)?

Do you have proper patch for BI?

Also, there is slightly updated version at my sig in the readme.

Unfortunately, description is now borked and I can't edit it anymore.

Primicerius

Yes, the RB folder is in its proper place, and it turned out that I didn't have the right patch (only up to 1.4). But, now that I got the new patch, I re-zipped the files into RTW/etc.. and there is still nothing to choose from in the Provincial Campaign! I got the patches from the official site (SEGA) and I just ran the files, so I did those right. One Question: When you go into Campaign, is it supposed to look like this:

barbarian_invasion bi

Those were folders, btw. Then inside the bi folder is the data folder, inside that is the world folder, and inside that is the Maps, inside that the Campaign, and finally inside that is the Romano British folder. IS it supposed to be like this?