Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

Default Re: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

Flemish Campaign (Part IV)
    Chapter LXXXII : A l'assaut

An de Grâce 1212 AC.
    Kingdom of France.
    Paris.

!!!Medieval Music to listen!!!
    Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    Dauphin of the Kingdom.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Philippe Capet, adoptive son of the French King. However, my real name is Muhammad Sahadeddine. I’ve been adopted because of an amazing coincidence. I hoped to become a hero of Chivalry, and help the poor and the orphans.
    I know, I’ve read a lot of hero stories, but I was a dreamer…
    I’m 32 years old.
    I’ve killed the Pope myself, and destroyed the entire Papal States.
    Back in France, I became the rightful ruler of the Iberian part of the Kingdom.
    I raised some loyal troops and assaulted Paris and Louis. We fought, I captured Charles, but lost my left hand during the battle and let Louis escape. I finally fought him during the Ordalie in Paris and won the crown.
    I'm the new unofficial King of France.
    I destroyed the flemish Duchy, punishing them for the murder of Philippe Auguste.
    I'm currently besieged in Paris by the English, Michel and Charles.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

It is my elder “brother”, and the King of France.
    He is a very skilled and fearful warrior. He can be qualified as a “butcher”.
    He is my worst enemy since he raped and killed my first love Hélčne.
    He engaged the battle against me near Paris, and lost. However, he suceeded to flee but we faced in Paris and he lost the Ordalie.
    He is no more than a destitute king, without hands and bowls, prisoner in the Louvre dungeon.

Michel.
    "Brother"

It is my second “brother”. He is one year and a half more than me.
    We were very good friends during our childhood, but it seems that these happy times are over.
    Michel was for long the unofficial leader of the Kingdom and ordered my death.
    When I came back in Paris and defeated Louis, he accepted my lead, but didn't lose time to betray me with Charles, making an alliance with the english, and offering them Dijon and Metz.
    He is a nightmare.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

It is the first son of the king Louis the Merciless.
    He was supposed to be the rightful heir but because of Michel plans, I’ve stolen him the title.
    He rebelled against Louis and was thrown in the Dungeon. After being reconciled, he met me, and I agreed to let him the lead of Metz. However, that little snake made a deal with Michel and sided with the english hawks to kill me.

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I’m now considered as a real noble and I’m a little more protected against the anger of Louis.
    She is definitely ugly and I absolutely don’t want to sleep with her.
    The problem is that she deeply loves me.
    Despite the nightmares, I made her pregnant and let her in Zaragoza. She gave birth to Philippe, my first son.

Margit.
    "Secret love"

She is my deep love. Nobody knows that, even my close friends.
    She is beautiful and clever. She is a Hungarian princess.
    Now that the problems had been solved with Olivier, I spent wonderful times with her.
    She has given birth to our children: Raoul, Sibylle and Colin.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who just taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I’m the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He was sending me Michel orders.
    He killed my dear friend Charles de Bouillon and try to slay me.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He was one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    Moreover, he is very clever and he helped me to convince the army that the Pope Alexander was an enemy.
    After some love problems we finally overcome, he is from now on my "compagnon d'arme".
    He saved my life twice, and was severely wounded by an arrow during the Ordalie.
    He is in the Holy Lands, in order to be cured by the best doctors.

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin is a local noble from brittany, who became the governor of Pamplona. He believed in my dream to found a new Kingdom and he became one of my close friends. He helped me more than everyone else to build an alternate Kingdom in the Iberian Peninsula.
    From now on, he is leading my troops at my side, and learns to enjoy the reality of war.

Arnoul de Penthičvre
    "Personal spy"

Arnoul is my best personal spy.
    He was previously spying for Philippe Auguste, my father. He is extremely experimented and played a key role in my chess game against Louis and Michel. This guy saved me when I was the prisoner of Baudouin, waiting for my death...

Dead Heroes...

Philippe Auguste the Chivalrous.
    DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

He was my adoptive father, but also the French King.
    He loved the Chivalric Code, and enjoyed good tournaments. He was a wise ruler and French people liked him a lot.
    He died in battle, against Flanders, trying to defend Paris.

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Charles was the governor of Toulouse citadel and then the governor of Zaragoza.
    Charles was my only real “friend”. He liked me and I could trust him.
    He was not a warrior, but he was a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.
    He had saved me from Louis’s sword.
    He had finally been killed by that bastard Norbert when I was away in Italy...

One rainy morning, the battle so much expected at last happened. Warned by my men, I quickly took my armor and my loyal Durandal, and ran with my bodyguards till the battlements.
    I was quite depressed since a few days because there was no news about Bertrand. It was nearly 2 weeks since the beginning of the siege. Where could he be?

When I arrived at the top of the city walls, I knew that the battle would be a difficult one.
    We glanced at the tall and proud siege towers and at all the men gathering for the battle.

I ordered to ring the general alert, asking for all the people able to fight to come on the battlements and take part of the defense.

The English were approaching. They pushed some siege towers but also some rams to destroy our gates. I was definitely stunned about the great number of English knight.
    It was like an army of knights with shining armors.

My “Fleur de Lys” companies of experimented axemen were waiting in the first lines, watching the scene. I encouraged them to fight hard. They acclaimed me a last time before to focus on the siege towers.

I succeeded to see the Normand yellow lion on the English battle flags. The over proud English knights were holding it, provoking us once more.

- “For the Fleur de Lys !” I shouted.
    “Let’s kill that weak lion…”

My soldiers roared.

- “Fire on the towers” I ordered to my bowmen, hidden behind the battlements embrasures.

As an answer, a volley of fired arrows took off toward the siege towers.
    Hundreds of little stars flew and pierced the rainy sky. I knew that it was quite useless to try putting fire to the wet siege towers. But anyway, it was worthwhile.
    Indeed, after some times, we happily watched one of the siege towers taking fire. The English knights following it to climb into were totally surprised.

My men at the walls roared of pleasure and took the opportunity to jeer and insult the English.
    However, there were other siege towers all around and we couldn’t put fire to them. Despite our bowmen skills, the battle was imminent.

The axes and crossbows were ready.
    We watched the rams and siege towers slowly approaching. Everyone was silent. The rain was running down our mail coat and armors. We were a little frozen, worrying about our fate…

When the siege towers were just near the city walls, a low horn rang and a sea of knights rushed toward us. It was a red, yellow and silver mix.
    I felt my bowls retracting, fear taking part of my heart. I didn’t know if my militia would succeed to cope with those experimented soldiers…

I was facing the unknown.
    I hated that…

The knight wave surged in the siege towers.

Amongst my men, we heard the shouts and orders of the evil English. We would soon be obliged to make them silent, to preserve our lives.

And all of a sudden, the siege towers opened their mouths and vomited the English knights. We were waiting for them with our swords and axes, but they succeeded to make their path and find some space where to fight.
    With my vassals and bodyguards, we were running along the battlements. We suddenly saw some English troops making their path amongst some crossbowmen, less experienced. I ordered my men to engage them. We didn’t have the right to let them enter the city.

I remember when I started a duel against the first English knights. I was not used fighting by foot. It was like I was during training. It was completely different than on a war steed.
    We could more easily duck and avoid the blows, but we couldn’t escape if surrounded.
    Fortunately for me, my loyal men and vassals were very skilled and we easily push back the English in our battlement. They surely weren’t expecting such a resistance.

In the other battlements the siege towers succeeded to assault, the fight was tough, most particularly on one of them, located near the main gate. There were the most experimented English knights, probably some royal guards. When I heard about the harsh fight, I ordered Jacques d’Orléans and his templar men to go and stop the bleeding…

Jacques went there and fought, with the support of some of my “Fleur de Lys” company of axemen.

Tough battle.

Fortunately, I was pleased to notice the courage and bravery of my men. Some Parisian militia succeeded to make English knights rout and go back.
    More important, the rams of the English had been destroyed and broken by some of my little catapults on the battlements. It was perfect because the gates were one of the weakest points to enter the city.

The battle lasted more than 8 hours.
    At the end of the day we succeeded to push the English back, despite their will to open the gates. When I had secured my battlement, I ran to assist and support Jacques and his templar knights.
    There weren’t a lot of English soldiers remaining but almost all the templar had been injured or killed.

We fought beside our friends and sickened those bastard Normand to come back.
    They all rushed back and I hugged Jacques. He did a brilliant job, despite the sacrifice of his men.
    He was definitely a loyal man.
    His blood and tears proved me that.

The next four days, the English tried to assault again and again, but they had lost their will power and were less eager to fight against my motivated militia.
    I fought again on the battlements and begin to appreciate that foot by foot close fight.

Each morning, I was dealing with my troop’s turnover. We had lost a lot of crossbowmen during the bombing, and some swordsmen and spearmen during the assault period. However, there were still a good amount of axemen and knights.

I thought that the English would finally resign, or that Bertrand would come back with some reinforcement from the North.

I was wrong.

Default Re: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

Chapter LXXXIII : Let's fill the holes

An de Grâce 1212 AC.
    Kingdom of France.
    Paris.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    Dauphin of the Kingdom.

Philippe Capet, adoptive son of the French King. However, my real name is Muhammad Sahadeddine. I’ve been adopted because of an amazing coincidence. I hoped to become a hero of Chivalry, and help the poor and the orphans.
    I’m 32 years old.
    I raised some loyal troops and assaulted Paris and Louis. We fought, I captured Charles, but lost my left hand during the battle and let Louis escape. I finally fought him during the Ordalie in Paris and won the crown.
    I destroyed the flemish Duchy, punishing them for the murder of Philippe Auguste.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

He engaged the battle against me near Paris, and lost. However, he suceeded to flee but we faced in Paris and he lost the Ordalie.
    He is no more than a destitute king, without hands and bowls, prisoner in the Louvre dungeon.

Michel.
    "Brother"

We were very good friends during our childhood, but it seems that these happy times are over.
    When I came back in Paris and defeated Louis, he accepted my lead, but didn't lose time to betray me with Charles, making an alliance with the english, and offering them Dijon and Metz.
    He is a nightmare.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

He was supposed to be the rightful heir but because of Michel plans, I’ve stolen him the title.
    He rebelled against Louis and was thrown in the Dungeon. After being reconciled, he met me, and I agreed to let him the lead of Metz. However, that little snake made a deal with Michel and sided with the english hawks to kill me.

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I’m now considered as a real noble and I’m a little more protected against the anger of Louis.
    Despite the nightmares, I made her pregnant and let her in Zaragoza. She gave birth to Philippe, my first son.

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Now that the problems had been solved with Olivier, I spent wonderful times with her.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who just taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I’m the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He was sending me Michel orders.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He was one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    Moreover, he is very clever and he helped me to convince the army that the Pope Alexander was an enemy.
    After some love problems we finally overcome, he is from now on my "compagnon d'arme".
    He saved my life twice, and was severely wounded by an arrow during the Ordalie.

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin is a local noble from brittany, who became the governor of Pamplona. He believed in my dream to found a new Kingdom and he became one of my close friends. He helped me more than everyone else to build an alternate Kingdom in the Iberian Peninsula.
    From now on, he is leading my troops at my side, and learns to enjoy the reality of war.

Arnoul de Penthičvre
    "Personal spy"

He was previously spying for Philippe Auguste, my father. He is extremely experimented and played a key role in my chess game against Louis and Michel. This guy saved me when I was the prisoner of Baudouin, waiting for my death...

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

He loved the Chivalric Code, and enjoyed good tournaments. He was a wise ruler and French people liked him a lot.

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

He was not a warrior, but he was a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.

One rainy morning, the English gathered their forces, and we saw the trebuchets, back in the game after those days of assault.
    Apparently, the English were hoping that a combined assault and trebuchet bombing could offer them the victory keys.

I had been warned by Jacques and rushed to the city walls.
    Hardly had I the time to climb the stairs that I was welcome with a powerful cannonball, reminding me the past week.

I missed to die that morning.
    When the cannonball smashed the gate just at my left, I felt the blast of the explosion and we were all as white as a sheep after that. I took time to understand as close I was with the death, like my friends.

It was just the beginning.
    Dozens of other cannonballs took their flight to burst at the same point of the city walls.

I understood their plan. They had discovered that some parts of my walls were partly destroyed and they hoped to make a hole on it.

The famous longbowmen, accompanied by some billmen, were already walking to the walls.

I knew their valor and ordered to target them in priority.
    I remembered well that skirmish near Normandy, where just a little troop of them nearly succeeded to kill me and my loyal friends.

My crossbowmen prepared their arrows to receive with honor those guests.

Some English knights also approached, walking alone the walls, waiting for the siege towers to arrive. The trebuchets were still bombing the battlements.

My crossbowmen were definitely busy that moment. They were shooting at every foe in sight. I was watching the scene from my battlement and didn’t know what to think.

I didn’t know if the trebuchets would succeed to make a hole, or if the siege tower strategy could at last work for the English.
    I rang the horn, asking for all the regular and militia troops to prepare and be ready.

I was right because few time after, we heard a loud collapse noise.
    The city walls were falling…

When the black cloud of fumes disappeared, I saw with some fear the giant hole in the wall.
    All the strategy would change. The English would surely do a major attack.

With some haste, I called Jacques to go there with the “Fleur de Lys” company and to hold the line if any English would try to attack there.

Surprisingly, they didn’t.
    However, they did a mixed tactic, with a siege tower assault. Some Normand were already fighting on the walls against my light missile troops. I decided to support them with the last of my axemen.

When we arrived, the fight was already bloody as hell. Dozens of men were lying under the melee. The battlement was covered of blood and we had to take care not falling when fighting.
    At the moment we reached the English knights and reversed the trend, surprising the foes. They took time to recover from the axe shock.

However, I raised my head and saw the English reinforcements.
    They were like hundreds rushing into the battlements. We could hear them entering the fight, motivating their friends.
    I was doing the same, but the voices were lost in a mix of screams, metal blows and cannonballs explosions. It was not at all a child garden…

I was winning a duel against an English bastard when suddenly we heard a big blast and fell on the ground.
    The wall was moving.

Two cannonballs had just burst next to us and on the siege tower.

We quickly get up and took back the fight. Some of my men had fallen from the battlements, and were lying on the streets, dead.
    I was furious and baffled. I didn’t and couldn’t know how long the battlement we were fighting on could stand on. Moreover, we caught sight of the siege tower who was beginning to burn.

It motivated us to fight more and more. The English thought the same.
    It was a merciless fight.

Suddenly, coming from nowhere, another cannonball burst at the same point than the last one. It was like a wave which pushed us to the ground and then to the sky.
    The entire wall slowly collapsed.

I remember the terrified faces of my friends, of the English. We tried to catch some rocks in order not to fall.
    Dozens of French and English warriors had been smashed and fall dead in the rift.

I am still haunted by some nightmares from that day, hearing the screams of my friends, falling in the infernal flames of the rift…
    They were impaled in sharp rocks, ripped up on the ground, burnt by the flames…

What a nightmare!

The originality was that the two forces had been separated by the rift. In one part were the English, and on the other part were the remaining French soldiers.
    Fortunately, I was still alive.

A little star protected me that day. I remembered Hélčne, Philippe Auguste, Charles de Bouillon… They were surely protecting me too, from the sky.
    I ran down to the street and led the first French troops to secure the rift.

It was an appropriated idea, because few time after, the wall completely collapsed, producing a cloud of dust and fire.
    We were blinded till the cloud disappeared slowly, showing us the giant opening in the city walls.

“Here will start and end my last battle”. I thought.

Indeed, I took sight of the elite English knights, waiting just outside the hole. They were already pointing at their target.
    Us.

The siege tower was still burning just near, because of the cannonball which struck it. A lot of English were trapped in it, dying of suffocation…
    Killed by the inaccuracy of their friends. What an irony.

We heard a great creaking sound and the siege tower finally broke entirely.

At the top of the battlements, the last English knights trapped in the upper part of the siege tower died instantly, falling with the wooden pieces and the leather protection.

It seemed that the world had gone mad. City walls and siege tower collapsing together on the people.
    A lot of English knights perished that day, trapped in the siege tower, squashed by the rocks and wooden parts, burnt by the cannonballs.

If the trebuchet shooting proved to be efficient by finally breaking my walls, the English friendly fire brought sorrow and shattering among the English hearts.
    The battle was only beginning…

I shouted :
    - « To the walls my men. To the walls. Let’s push back those pigs to their dirty island.
    Pas de quartier pour ces gueux… »

My axemen rushed to fill the hole.

We didn’t wait long. The English were running toward us, raising their heavy axes. They were elite troops.

The tough close fight began. The pressure of the English troops waiting to enter forced us to walk back, foot after foot. Those bastards were entering the city slowly.
    I urged one of my men to call more men to protect the hole.
    It was crucial.

Some swordsmen were already surging behind us, giving us a welcome hand.

What a melee !
    Men were almost stuck to each other and it was hard to fight. The English were like a fluid, slowly spreading in the city, despite the efforts of my brave warriors.

On the battlements, the battle was still tough.
    Total fight!

Hours after hours, the English were advancing, letting behind them a dead carpet.
    I encourage and fought with my men to protect Paris. Only the courage helped us not to rout and resign.
    We had just to turn our head back to see the Parisian kids and women, worried about what would happen if the city would fell.

However, despite that, the English were pushing forward more and more, with fresh troops. They knew that the moment was crucial. If they could crush us, Paris would be English. If not, we would have the time to build some new protections and to fight again…

At the evening, we were no more than a hundred French to defend. I was desperately waiting for the reinforcements.
    I knew that Jacques was fighting in another melee.
    I knew that my crossbowmen were either shooting or fighting on the battlements.

I wished to be a bird, in order to have a clear view of the battle plan.

The sun disappeared behind the city walls and the obscurity finally wrapped us. We were still fighting. The English still didn’t crush us.

A sudden lightning gave us some light. I had the time to make out that a new unit of swordsmen was coming to support us.

- « Hourra », I shouted with a smile, despite my tiredness.

My men turned back their head and saw our friends, helping us.

When they entered the melee, we were like transformed. We were lions and for the first time, we pushed back the English.
    Moreover, the night was falling, and some Parisian men helped us, throwing rocks and sharp sticks to the English knights. It was almost won for us.

After a final effort, we heard the retreat order, coming from their ranks. They ran back, trying to avoid our swords and arrows. Some of them paid the price of this retreat…

We hugged together, weeping and smiling. The Parisian people brought us some water. Indeed, we were exhausted and their help was like a Heaven present.

After some times of congratulation, I asked to the swordsmen sergeant how the battle was going. He replied that he was fighting on the battlements before to help us.
    The French had succeeded to push back the English there also.

Moreover, it appeared that the English finally didn’t attacked Jacques and my “Fleur de Lys Company” with a lot of men. They clearly made their effort in my hole.
    Fortunately, they didn’t pass.

We were winners that time.
    I took all the night to organize some barricades at the holes, and I ordered some Parisian people to clean the battlements. I didn’t want the city to be contaminated by the thousands corpses. It was definitely a hard work.

Despite that outstanding victory, we knew that nothing was finished.
    Let’s wait for tomorrow.
    Let’s see how many days we could support the siege.

Let’s live those days, stolen from our destiny…

Chapter LXXXIV : Interesting capture

An de Grâce 1212 AC.
    Kingdom of France.
    Paris.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    Dauphin of the Kingdom.

I’m 32 years old.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

He is a nightmare.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthičvre
    "Personal spy"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

The following days were calmer. There were just some little bombing and some unexpected assaults, easily fought on the walls.

However, the number of wounded was increasing dramatically, and the people ready to fight were fewer each day. They were no more Templars knights, my axemen were no more than two hundred men, and the swordsmen had been severely hit by the last battle at the walls.

The English were still besieging the city.
    I wondered what would be the next stage, and if I would be allowed to see the end of that siege…
    Tough times.

The English were definitely preparing for another assault, seeing that they were repairing some of their damaged trebuchets.
    I took the opportunity of that calm period to spend times with Margit and my children. Margit was extremely worried, but the children were not very concerned. Philippe was even proud and would like to accompany me when I was going to the battlements. Definitely, he was following the way of the knights. Even if he was a little too fat for that.
    Unfortunately.

One grey morning of October, Jacques rushed in the Royal court to warn me that the final assault was imminent. Apparently, the English were preparing for the fight, and even the French templar knights of Michel and Charles.

I grabbed Durandal, kissed Margit and followed Jacques to the battlement. Just before to reach them, I heard the whistle of the cannonballs.
    I winced. I hated them so much.

My men were at the battlements, and already suffered some losses. Apparently, the English were targeting the battlements next to the hole in the walls where I fought the past few days.

After some times of bombing, the English had almost ruined the barricades raised to block the hole. I ordered all the remaining experienced soldiers to keep ready just behind. I was amongst them to spread some courage to my brave soldiers.

We heard the signal. The English were coming…

We heard the sound of the hundreds of knights, thrown again against us by their cruel lords.

I motivated my troops, shouting with pride:
    - “We had defeated them once, we could do that twice.

They are more exhausted than us.
    They were starving when we had some sufficient supplies in the city.
    They slept in the cold and wet fields.
    They are fighting for some bloody lords when we are protecting our families.

The victory is for us today.
    Let’s hold the line my friends. Let’s keep the faith.

For Paris. Forever…

My last crossbowmen began to shoot at the invaders. The target was easy, but the strong armors of the English knights prevented most of them to find their death.

The problem was that the fearful longbowmen were following the knights and shot at my battlements. Their target range was impressive and they were very accurate. More particularly, the rain increased the power of their longbow, and reduced the one of the crossbow. It was definitely not the good weather for us.

That moment, the trebuchets started again their bombing, probably to stop my crossbowmen fire.
    The templar were still watching the scene from behind. What a coward behavior!

Fortunately for us, they weren’t very accurate, and devastated both Paris and their own troops. Some English knights, who were rushing to fight us, died in the explosion.
    My men roared of pleasure…

However, the longbowmen were in position and shot accurately, protecting the walk of the knights.

A cloud of arrows fell on us and my crossbowmen.
    We, the knights, were protected against that scourge, but not my crossbowmen, who fell by dozens on the battlements.

I cursed at those longbowmen:
    - “Canaille de bouseux, we will soon show you what to do with an arrow…”

I had hardly finished cursing that a big cannonball exploded in the middle of them.

We all laughed.
    - “The trebuchet crow is French…”. Jacques said with a smile.

I smiled back. It would be an easy task if the bombing was so inefficient.

However, we didn’t have the time to laugh again. The English first lines entered the hole.
    The slaughterhouse opened.

The first times of the melee were tough. Men of each side were bloodthirsty, to avenge their friends, or just to finish that bloody siege.
    We hold the line. I was just a little behind my troops with Jacques.

We had to take care of the English swords, and of the English arrows. It wasn’t easy.
    When the bombing began to be more accurate, it was almost hell.

Those bastards were shooting at us.
    They definitely didn’t care about their men, who were fighting close to us.
    Flames appeared all around, and a sudden explosion killed instantly dozens of English men.

We were in another world, apparently.

The English knights were not as eager to attack, since they understood that the friendly fire was not going to stop.
    Michel, Charles and the English lords probably understood that, despite their lack of strategy. They rang the charge.

As I wasn’t fighting in the melee, I clearly saw the powerful knights galloping toward us, amongst their longbowmen, avoiding the arrows from my men.

They were right to come because the English knights began to rout. My heart was beating strongly in my chest.
    Maybe Michel was there.
    Maybe I could make him pay for what he did.

It was the final part of the siege.
    Hundred of long spears entered the hole. My men tried to stop them, but it was nearly impossible. Those bastard traitor Templar knights were experienced warriors and very well equipped.

They crushed my first lines like butter. My last swordsmen were there, offering their lives to protect Paris.
    Some tears appeared at the edge of my eyes, watching the useless bravery of my men.

I glanced at Jacques. He fixed me in the eyes, and without saying a word, understood his duty.
    He raised his sword, bent his eyeshade and shouted:
    - “Avec moi mes amis, let’s show those traitors what is the real faith.
    Let’s show them the gates of Hell.”

He rallied the French infantry and organized the fight.

I was still behind, amongst the last fresh unit. I was amongst the “Fleur de Lys” company of axemen.
    From there, I saw a well known face.

Charles had entered the city…

This bastard was wearing a red doublet with the English lion in the middle.
    This fuc-king man had really no honor.
    I was eager to punish him.

It would be hard, knowing that the English knights rallied their templar lords and engaged the melee again.

Jacques did a wonderful job, but couldn’t help a lot of French men to be trampled under the hooves of the templar steeds. Each time my men were fewer.
    It seems to be the beginning of the end.

However, the Templar lost their momentum and were not as efficient as when they charged the melee.
    The first Templar knights began to fell under the blow of my brave men.

It was time to engage the fight with my “Fleur de Lys” company.
    I charged the Templar. The bloody axes were decimating them.

I was searching for Charles and took sight of him after a few moments. He was not anymore in the melee and took the risk to ride alone in the city. I ordered my men to capture him.

We succeeded to surround him. I threw my helmet and shouted at him:
    - “Charles,
    Fils de bâtard, sale gueux, I am going to show you what the word loyalty means.”

He was fighting against my axemen but turned his head, saw me and winced.
    He knew that he was trapped.

He tried to escape with a sudden effort.
    Unfortunately for him, one of my axemen broke the leg of his steed and the bastard fell amongst my men.
    He was quickly disarmed and chained.

I approached, spat at his worried face, and wiped the blood on Durandal against his lips.
    - “Bring him alive to the royal court”, I ordered.

I then went back to the melee.
    - “For France, for Paris, for our Children.
    Montjoie Daint Denis!”

We charged, galvanized by the capture of Charles. The Templar saw us, understood what happened. They faced us but quickly had to admit that the street fighting was in favor of the long axes. They slowly organized the retreat.
    I motivated my men again. We were a fistful of experienced warriors, but we succeeded.

They rushed back and when the last Templar knight left the city, I fell on my knees, and kissed the ground.
    Paris was still mine. Paris was still French.
    Paris was still Paris.

We were no more than a hundred of French soldiers alive.
    The French nobles’ cream had disappeared. We were the survivors. The last of the last.

I searched for Jacques.
    After some times, one of my soldiers found him. He was lying in the middle of the melee, covered by blood.
    I approached and saw the brave soldier. He offered his life to forgive the betrayal of Michel’s templar. He fought for the truth and the people against his Grandmaster.

I began to pay a tribute to my loyal friend when the soldier who was taking care of Jacques corpse suddenly said:
    - “My lord, he is alive, he still breath a little.”

I couldn’t contain my happiness. Jacques wasn’t dead. I ordered to take care immediately of him in the royal court.
    I stayed with the survivors near the hole. I could see the English in the distance. They were gathering, but didn’t seem ready to fight again for the day.
    I was relieved, and ordered to build back some barricades.

I went to the battlements to see the remaining crossbowmen. Most of them died and were wounded. They suffered a lot the powerful longbowmen and the bombing.
    I strongly congratulated them.

The Kingdom of France could be proud of his soldiers.

I went back to the royal court. I had a special meeting there…

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

what an epic battle!

Chapter LXXXV : Talk with a snake

An de Grâce 1212 AC.
    Kingdom of France.
    Paris.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    Dauphin of the Kingdom.

I’m 32 years old.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

He is a nightmare.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthičvre
    "Personal spy"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Charles was in the middle of the court, on his knees, and chained.
    He was slightly wounded.

I kicked him on my way to the throne. He fell and couldn’t get up. He stayed lying on the cold floor of the royal court. Margit and Philippe were there, watching.
    I hugged them, despite the blood on my armor. I was so happy to announce them the good news.

My advisors were there. I took a breath and announced:

“People of France,
    I’m proud to say that we won a great victory today. A tough one.
    Lots of French heroes offered their life today to preserve Paris and its people.

Here is one of the responsible of that tragedy. Charles the Brute, the son of Louis the Merciless. I’m still surprised that the offspring of Philippe Auguste could have become so bad, but it seems that maybe the best people could give birth to evil.

Anyway, the English are still besieging the city and I don’t think they will give up. They certainly won’t attack again, but they would surely besiege us till our supplies are finished.
    It is why the first thing I want is to ask for every valid man of Paris to make his duty, in the battlements, or at the barricades.
    I have no more experienced soldiers…

Charles, I gave you the opportunity to be one of my governors and to help the Kingdom of France to grow and become powerful. Instead of that, you preferred betray me with those bastards English and attack the French people of Paris. Maybe worse, you offered our good cities of Dijon and Metz to the Normands, and all the lands around.
    From now on, the Kingdom of France is in a difficult state. You and Michel are responsible for that. I am going to decide a punishment soon. Be sure of that.

You will be imprisoned with your father Louis the Merciless in the Louvre for the moment. If by misfortune, Paris would be taken by the English, you would be slain before they could reach your dungeon.
    I hope for you that the siege will fail.

Guards, take this traitor to his cell…

Charles didn’t even try to say something. He was apparently destroyed by his defeat. After some talks with my advisors to protect the city efficiently, I went straight to the Louvre dungeon. I had to talk with the bastard traitor.

When I entered the cell, I saw Charles. He was chained to a wall.
    I laughed at him.
    - “Bonjour Charles,
    We didn’t have time to talk to each other. Let’s do it.
    I notice that you really like Le Louvre dungeon, don’t you?

I laughed, thinking about the three years Charles spent there, because of his father.

I continued:
    “Are you happy with your plan, now that you are captured?
    Poor idiot, you should have better been as coward as your uncle Michel.
    Ah ah ah…

What about Michel, is he still the leader of the army?
    What is his plan?
    Did he really think that he could take Paris and that the English would let the capital French?

I advise you to answer, because I have some executioner eager to show you some special treatment if you refuse.”

Charles winced and at last, said:
    - “Well, you won Philippe.
    I know you will be merciless with me but I’m ready to suffer anything. However, I’m ready to let you know that the Kingdom of France will never be ruled by you. You are a bastard, adopted. You are not from the true French line. You have no French blood.
    It is why I rebelled with Michel.
    The English offered us their help in exchange of the cities of Dijon and Metz.

We knew the risks, but the game worth it…”

I stopped him.
    - “You definitely seem to be as idiot as your father.
    Do you really believe that the English would let you free in Paris?
    They would surely take the cities for them and then expand to the South. Because of your plan, you took the risk to annihilate the Kingdom of France. I’m the last wall to protect it from now on.
    And be sure I will…

Is Michel still leading the army?

- “Yes, he is leading the army with some English lords.
    I’m sure that if you didn’t come back to Paris, we would have taken the city easily. I have to admit that you are an experienced general, even if you are no more than a Sarasin.
    I would have been honored to kill you, but apparently, you didn’t have the courage to fight me alone…”

I kicked him in the head.
    He cursed of pain, before to smile and say:
    - “You will never rule France peacefully, because everybody knows that you are not French. There would still be some men in your way, even if you kill me, but I don’t fear to die…”

I whispered:
    - “Don’t be stupid.
    I’m French since the day I have been adopted by Philippe Auguste. I did a lot to help the French people, far more than you did…
    You are a brute, you spent your life in a dungeon, and you failed twice against me.
    Let’s meet in some days, maybe I would bring Michel with me.
    All the family would be united again, in the Dungeon.

I laughed, leaving the Louvre…
    Charles was still the same uneducated brute, understanding no more than fight without strategy. However, he never worried me.

Michel did…

Thanks a lot Tartaros, it has been a while since someone posted here.
    I feel less alone.

I'm pleased you like it and encourage anybody reading it to comment or say their feeling. It is really what we (writers) need and appreciate fully.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, I also want to make a little advertisement about the AAR competition I'm playing in.
    If you want, you can vote there for the stories you enjoy.
    You have 3 votes.
    Obviously, it is just a game. The major advntage is that you can find there some interesting AAR not only from medieval game.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i follow your aar some weeks ago, i think there´re many others following your AAR, as it´s very detailed and interesting stuffed with pictures, maps and familyinfo.
    i just see that you are in the mouthly AAR- Competions .
    wish you good luck and voted for you
    all other show yout support

and vote
    Last edited by _Tartaros_; April 04, 2011 at 02:51 AM.

Still one of the best aar's around. Really enjoyed the last part, keep it up. I will also vote for you of course in the competition.

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Voted, still enjoying this AAR very much, it is indeed a wonderful story. This last battle was epic!

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

Tartaros, wvswem (so hard to write it , and remember the order of the letters), Shadrach

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate to hear some words from you.
    I hope I'm not too slow, given than at least two are you (Shadrach and wvswem) are following from ages ago.

I am dedicating you that new extended chapter, who is going to "nearly" end that long long siege of Paris.

Thanks again my friends.

Chapter LXXXVI : The final show

An de Grâce 1212 AC.
    Kingdom of France.
    Paris.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    Dauphin of the Kingdom.

I’m 32 years old.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

He is a nightmare.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Unfortunately for him, I captured the bad guy and threw him in the Dungeon, next to his father.

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthičvre
    "Personal spy"

Jacques d'Orléans
    "Priest"

Jacques is a Templar. After years spent in the Iberian Peninsula, fighting heretics and trying to convert them, he had been promoted leader of the Paris Templar garrison. I met him during the Paris siege and he fought well beside me.
    Unfortunately, he was severely wounded when Charles attacked with the traitor Templar knights.

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Two more weeks were spent organizing the walls against another attack. Fortunately, the English didn’t try anything, apart some bombing sometimes.
    Lots of Parisian people agreed to take weapons and defend Paris. We had not a lot of weapons so they were offered spears and peasant forks.

One dark morning, I was inspecting the battlements when one of my soldiers shouted:
    - “Look at this horseman…”

He was pointing at one horse rider who was galloping toward the city, avoiding the English soldiers. He zigzagged between the English defenses, and galloped toward the gates. Some English knights chased him.

I shouted to the gate soldiers to open and to shoot at the English.
    When the horse rider was sufficiently closed to the city, my crossbowmen shot at the English. One steed was wounded and the English knight fell on the mud. His friends helped him and they went back. My men roared. They applauded the shooter.
    I smiled at them. Brave soldiers…

I went back to see who that courageous horseman who forced the English siege was defenses. When I saw him, I knew who it was.
    I ran and hugged him.

Mon bon vieil Arnoul.
    He smiled at me.

I ordered my soldiers to go back to the gate.
    We walked a little. When we finally were alone, he whispered:
    - “Bertrand is just around, a few miles from Paris. I went with him from Flanders. He is leading a force of cavalry. Nearly four hundred knights and sergeants.
    We are sorry having taken so much time to come but it wasn’t easy. The Flemish rebels knew the situation and tried to take the opportunity to siege Antwerp. It is why we were obliged to train some more soldiers, before to go to Paris and break the English siege.

Bertrand plans to attack this evening. We don’t want to take the risk that the English discover that we are there. The best is to surprise them.”

I was so pleased to learn that news. It was one of my best moments since a long time.
    I had not a lot of experienced men to fight, but we would use the people of Paris to slay at last those English.

Ah, what a good day I spent, knowing that the siege will probably end that night. Indeed, we didn’t have a lot of supplies to feed the people. We couldn’t have held the siege more than two more months.

I announced to my last generals the plan:
    When Bertrand will appear at the top of the Montmartre hill, at the North of Paris, we will with the remaining soldiers and the people of Paris willing to fight, go outside the city.
    When Bertrand will charge the English, we will engage the fight at the same moment, surrounding the English to annihilate them more efficiently.

At the end of the evening, I saw a last time Margit and my children. I kissed them deeply.
    I also went to see Jacques. He was severely wounded at his belly, but was conscious and the doctors were confidents. I took his hand and assured him that this night, the English and traitor’s Templar would be defeated.
    I also offered him to be the new grandmaster of the Templar Order. Michel would be destitute.

Jacques smiled and whispered to take care of me. The bastard English would surely try to slay me in priority. I thanked him.
    However, I knew that I should lead my troops, and never stay behind. I had to take the opportunity to show my bravery and devotion to the French people.

I had to be a hero that evening…

I went to the gates.
    It was raining. I was stressed.
    However, the people I was leading were definitely more stressed than me. They were peasants, potters, carpenters, barbers, weavers…
    They were Parisian…

They never fought before, but they were courageous. They knew that it was the final battle and that we had the advantage. We had to win.

My men were waiting behind the walls and on the battlements. It seems to be calm.
    I went on the battlements. The English didn’t seem to be prepared. Perfect.
    I couldn’t see anything in the Montmartre hill.
    Anyway, Bertrand wouldn’t be late.

I was joking with some of my men when suddenly, we heard some shouts amongst the English camp. I turned my head and saw a lot of English running and preparing.
    What?
    Did they notice something? I frowned.
    Surely one of their scouts noticed Bertrand cavalry approaching.

I winced seeing the trebuchet being prepared.
    - “Everyone behind the walls.” I shouted.

My men rushed but they were a lot waiting on the battlements. They were too slow. The first cannonball flew directly to the gate and exploded amongst them.

Poor guys! They didn’t have the time to fight the English. They were already dead.
    The luckiest died instantly. The other burnt or suffered horrible wounds…

It was definitely not a good beginning.
    I hoped a good harbinger…

It happened when one of the guards caught sight of Olivier in Montmartre. The first horsemen were leaving the woods.

The vanguard was there, at the left side of the English camp. As they were at the top of Montmartre hill, they had a fantastic view of the battlefield, of Paris, and of the fired cannonballs shooting at us.

Good Bertrand. He was not a war lord but succeeded to lead that army to Paris.
    I smiled and, overconfident, sounded the horn for the attack.

The guards opened the gates and the brave Parisian rushed outside, fearless and eager to spill some swine blood.

I took the lead with my last vassals and knights.
    It was time to prove my bravery and honor. I must say I didn’t miss the opportunity…

I exited Paris under the bombing. I was beside the French standard.
    I could be killed every single moment, but it was my fate.
    It was my duty.

As that bastard Charles said, I had no French blood.
    I didn’t need some, but I needed to replace it by French gratitude.

I stopped with my men in front of the city walls, provoking the English. I took a last gulp of hooch for the courage.
    Hardly had I thrown my flask that a cannonball exploded just behind us.

The English were targeting us.

I threw a worried eye to Montmartre and sighed of relief.
    Bertrand and his cavalry troops were effectively ready for the charge.

I ordered my men to show any mercy to those bastard English who bombarded Paris for more than 7 weeks.
    I asked my men to avenge the destruction of Notre Dame.
    I motivated them to honor the bravery of all the French who offered their life to protect Paris…

I didn’t have the time to finish. A loud roar coming from Montmartre spread all around.
    Bertrand was charging.

- “Let’s show our friends the legendary French courage.
    Pour Notre Dame, ŕ l’attaque !!!”
    I shouted.

We ran toward the English, who prepared their lines for the last battle.

As long as I can remember, it was one of the worst moments of my terrible life. The English targeted us with their remaining trebuchets.
    Cannonballs were exploding all around. Some thick black smoke spread in the battlefield. We were sweating, coughing. Our eyes were weeping but we didn’t have the choice. We had to reach the English lines, or accepting to be destroyed by that fired rain.

I hardly could see my friends beside me.
    However, I tried to focus on the sounds. We clearly could hear the loud tremor made by Bertrand’s cavalry.

Suddenly, the smoke disappeared for a while and I took sight of the charge.
    A blue wave was flooding from the top of the hill.
    Below, a company of longbowmen had been tasked to welcome them.

But what could do some under protected bowmen against a horde of horsemen in open field. Those English were clearly sacrificed to stop the charge.

The swine Normand were definitely trapped between Bertrand and my Parisian light troops.
    Let’s trample them.

The first line of longbowmen didn’t have a chance.
    They disappeared under the hooves of the war steeds.

For the first time, the English flag was thrown down. More were to follow…

My men also made out the scene. The raised their forks and spears and ran faster than before.
    Some cannonballs burst few foots before us but it didn’t affect the courage of my men.
    We were there to win.

Amongst the din of our charge, a sparkle of pain and screams occurred.
    The bombing had been accurate for the first time since we left Paris. Dozens of men were instantly torn up, carved, and burnt beside us.

No time to take care of them.
    I winced when ordering my men to continue the charge, letting the wounded in the floor…

Ah, my heart broke when I ran next to one of my men, weeping and bleeding.

We were facing hell…
    However, the first trebuchets had to face the French cavalry charge and stopped their fire shooting.

We were still running toward the English camp, but could see the first of our horsemen fighting in the melee against the English troops.
    It warmed our hearts. We were not alone to struggle against the evil English foot knights.

The English army was not very well organized, as they had to face two rushing wave. The trebuchets were unprotected, the English foot knights didn’t know who to fight, and the cavalry was still waiting behind.

I saw some longbowmen units and ordered the charge.
    I raised Durandal, ready to smash some English limbs.

The longbowmen saw us, understood that they wouldn’t have the time to shoot at us, and decided to charge.
    Madness!

Our first line was compound of the last French knights.
    We stroke them like knife in butter.

I ran through the melee and began the fight. I slaughtered two or three bowmen before to hear a well known whistle.
    I just had the time to watch where it came from when the floor suddenly burst behind me.

I was thrown in the air before to fell heavily on the floor.

My first feeling was to smell the burnt air all around.
    I was alive. Alive but severely wounded.
    I winced of pain, screaming slowly.

Some of my men came to help me. I struggled to get up. Lots of little splinters had pierced my back. I was bleeding, but I soon understood that I could fight again.

I turned back to see the terrible scene. The men who were just behind me didn’t have the same luck than me. They were all dead, and burnt.

I felt the anger increasing in my body. I should destroy those trebuchets, evil machines…
    I surged against the longbowmen and fought like a furious beast. The English walked back, worried about such a furor, and finally rushed back under the pressure of my knights…

I took a rest. I was exhausted and suffering my wound. I saw at the background that Bertrand had finally engaged the fight with the English cavalry.
    His men were struggling against the French traitor’s Templar and most particularly the dangerous English cavalry. Those bastards fought with little axes and didn’t know the meaning of the word “mercy”.

It was time to assist Bertrand and to take the advantage, in order to crush those bastards definitely.
    I turned back to motivate my troops and saw the disaster.

The poor Parisians following me were suffering a heavy bombing, shattering them.

Anyway, I shouted and they followed me.
    Indeed, the English were taking the best against the French horsemen.

I was almost deaf.
    I couldn’t see perfectly. My eyes were burnt.
    I ran with difficulties to get away from the English fire.

Men were dying at my left, suffering and bleeding at my right, exploding behind me, and being shot in front of me.

We finally reached our horsemen and assisted them.
    I looked at my men when the bombing stopped. They were in a bad condition but still willing to fight.

We were not far from the trebuchets but still in their range.
    They targeted us again and again. Nearly the half of my men was already lying before being able to fight.

Some English and templar knights tried to charge us. My men didn’t fear them and they engaged the fight with their forks and spears. It was like the duel between David and Goliath.

I was amazed by the bravery of those Parisians. They didn’t know anything about war but were all around, holding their position and charging against professional troops.
    It would have been a crime to lose the battle, with such brave soldiers.

We were at the height of the battle. We had joined Bertrand troops and fought against foot knights, bowmen, and cavalry.
    They were arrows and cannonballs whistling all around.
    The English definitely didn’t care about friendly shooting.

I made my way amongst the hundreds of arrows targeting us.
    I had an only thought in mind.

Michel !!!

Where was that bastard? I wouldn’t let him flee the battlefield.
    I caught one of Bertrand’s horsemen, asking him to search for Michel. The guy replied me he would try.

Anyway, I had a battle to win and I decided to attack again. I had caught sight of some English knights at my left. My Parisian militia was already fighting them bravely.

I tried to round the English troops with my men. We nearly succeeded to do that when another group of English foot knights engaged the melee with us.
    I went in first line. The foes were as exhausted as us.

The only advantage they had was their superior armor.
    However, we were fighting for our families and people and the strength of the heart was with us. We decimated them.
    I remember the screams and strange insults of those English. However, when piercing their chest with my loyal Durandal, they were as human as us.

I felt nearly sorry for them.
    But it was their fate.
    Everyone who would try to attack our defenseless people would suffer the same.

We were submerging them when two horsemen rushed behind me. I turned back and raise Durandal, ready to strike.

- “Stop my lord.”
    I paused, cleaned my face with my left arm, and understood. It was the horseman I talked with some times before.

- “We found Michel, and after a quick fight, he succeeded to flee with one of his bodyguard.”
    The man said, breathless.

No way !!!
    I asked him roughly:
    - “No-one tried to follow him? Are you dumb? Catch h…”

I didn’t have the time to finish. The soldier interrupted me and announced:
    - “Bertrand and some of his men are already tracking him. He has just asked me to offer you my horse. He thought you would probably like to be there.”

I sighed, relieved.
    The following second, I was in the light steed, at full gallop, trying to catch up with Bertrand.

Michel…
    My brother…

Chapter LXXXVII : My "brother" Michel

An de Grâce 1212 AC.
    Kingdom of France.
    Paris.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    Dauphin of the Kingdom.

I’m 32 years old.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

He is a nightmare.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Unfortunately for him, I captured the bad guy and threw him in the Dungeon, next to his father.

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthičvre
    "Personal spy"

Jacques d'Orléans
    "Priest"

Jacques is a Templar. After years spent in the Iberian Peninsula, fighting heretics and trying to convert them, he had been promoted leader of the Paris Templar garrison. I met him during the Paris siege and he fought well beside me.
    Unfortunately, he was severely wounded when Charles attacked with the traitor Templar knights.

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

The soldier had shown me the right direction. His horse was not an excellent one but not too much exhausted so I forced him to gallop.

I was escaping the battlefield and understood that the battle would be won. The trebuchets were no more bombarding, and Bertrand cavalry was inflicting heavy damage to the remaining English groups.

The sky was dark and I felt a light rain, washing my wounds.
    I wasn’t fighting anymore and my mind couldn’t be diverted from the pain I was suffering. I winced but forced me to continue the hunt. It was the opportunity to catch my bastard brother.
    I wouldn’t miss it.

I quickly took sight of Bertrand and his men, along the city walls.
    It was raining heavily when I succeeded to reach them. I was lighter.
    I shouted and Bertrand saw me. We rode beside for a few moments. I congratulated him briefly for his help and asked where Michel was.
    Bertrand pointed two little white points riding toward the woods.

Michel…

I urged Bertrand and his men to increase the speed. If Michel could reach the woods, it would be almost impossible to catch him. Bertrand replied he was at full speed, and so his men. Indeed, they were heavier than me, because of their armors.
    I decided to try my chance, ordering Bertrand and his men to lead the end of the battle.

I accelerated. Bertrand tried to warn and prevent me to risk my life, but I wasn’t listening. I was decided.
    It was pouring a freezing rain, striking my face.
    I gripped strongly in my hand Durandal, already washed.

I could discern Michel better. The worried guy was not far from me, and often threw an eye behind.
    Michel understood that I was hunting him. The coward asked his bodyguard to protect his back. I saw the skilled soldier stopping and turning back to affront me. It would have been an easy fight for me if I wasn’t wounded, had a shield and a long spear.
    The problem was that Durandal would be a bit defenseless against the chivalric spear of the Templar bodyguard.

I didn’t have the time to think long about that. The Templar was already charging me.
    I knew that I couldn’t cope and jumped down. It was my only chance, apart from fleeing. I waited for the impact… defenseless.
    Maybe the Templar knight was overconfident; maybe he thought I was a common idiot soldier… I still don’t know.
    The thing is that just a second before the impact; I turned on my right foot and passed from his right side to his left side. He obviously missed me as I wasn’t anymore in his spear side, but I didn’t miss his left leg. I literally cut it with a single blow.

The Templar fell on the ground, screaming. I approached slowly. His spear was lying in the grass, and he was agonizing, the blood flooding like a little stream. I understood in his eyes that he asked for the final blow.
    I agreed and Durandal ended his pain.

I caught sight of Michel, still riding, and jumped on my horse. Michel just entered the dark woods when I launched the hunt again.
    I had won the first stage against the bodyguard but it was harder to find Michel, from now on. He could have hidden himself everywhere.

When I entered the wood, there was an only way to follow. The bushes and trees were too much tight to enter them with a war steed. I smiled. Knowing the practical abilities of Michel, he surely followed the way. I increased the speed, taking some risks.
    I was permanently wincing now. I suffered so much my back, seeing some little sparkles, dancing in front of my eyes.

I suddenly heard a gallop sound. Michel was there…
    I had just entered a little meadow. My “brother” was turning inside, trying to find a way to escape. I stopped my horse, watching him.
    An evil smile appeared at the edge of my mouth.

Michel was turning, like a terrified bird in a cage. He didn’t notice I was already there. I could almost hear his jerky breath.
    Ah ah… Poor little brother…

The rain was pouring heavily. The night was coming slowly. It was like the meadow had been waiting for us two. Waiting for an important bloody meeting.

Michel suddenly stopped. He had at last noticed my presence.
    I was still smiling, watching his shaking arms, holding with difficulty his sword and shield.

I didn’t move, taking time to enjoy my pleasure.
    Michel was surely sweating, despite the cold rain. He kept silent, shivering like an old leaf.

I slowly put Durandal in its scabbard, and jumped down.
    Michel was still in the middle of the meadow, like paralyzed.

I walked calmly toward him.

When I was just less than 10 feet from him, I took back my helmet and threw him in the floor. Michel saw my face.
    He didn’t throw his helmet.

After some moments watching each other, I whispered, under the rain:
    - “Michel, it is time to play again the game of our childhood.
    It’s time to play again “Sarasin” versus “Holy Crusader”.

I took a breath and said, increasing the tone of my voice:
    - “Isn’t it a perfect evening for a duel?
    You wear some Templar armor, and my skin is a Sarasin one.
    Nothing is missing…”

Michel was still motionless.
    I began to shout, with a tough voice, filled with anger:
    - “Did you come here to keep silent my brother?
    Don’t you want to play the game?
    Do you fear something?

Oh, I understand. You fear my sword, Durandal…
    You are right; it is a dangerous one, perfect for traitors.

As I am kind and friendly, I will, like during our childhood, fight with some wooden sword.”

I quickly threw Durandal in the grass, and turned back to find a stick.
    I had hardly walked toward the wood when I felt a shadow behind me…

Exactly what I had planned.
    Michel did the same during our childhood and I was used with his old bastard tricks.

Within a second, I fell down and the clumsy Michel missed his target.
    His blow whistled in the air, and Michel, unbalanced, fell on the ground, beside me.

I got up and walked back, observing him.
    He roared and got up slowly, some mud stuck to his grand master armor.

I laughed sarcastically.
    - “You prefer jumping in the mud, instead of playing with me with some wooden swords?
    Are you ok Michel?
    You don’t feel well.”

Michel charged me, his sword making some turns in the air.
    I ducked, and quickly stopped his sword with my hook. I seized his wrist with my right hand and turned it slowly.

Michel screamed, as I was twisting his arm.
    It took some times before I heard the little bones of his hand breaking.

Michel fell on his knees.
    I dropped his wrist and he definitely fell on his side, screaming slowly, under the rain, in the middle of the meadow.

He was covered of mud, and the darkness of twilight wrapped us.

For a long time, I gazed at that “brother”, lying miserably.
    I thought about my youth.
    I thought about the walks we did together in Paris.
    I thought about the advices he said me when he left to learn the administrator studies.

I thought about that brother and our friendship which would have surely never failed if we weren’t royal sons…

Does it worth it, to be the son of a King?

As far as I remembered, thanks to that honor, I suffered the death of my first love.
    I also fought dozens of times, killing men, seeing friends slain.
    I had been manipulated, mutilated…
    I felt a heavy responsibility when my people were slaughtered by evil English or Spanish.

Where are the happiness and the comfort?
    What is the interest to be who I was?

After long meditations, I made my opinion.
    I was devoted to my people and family. I was devoted to build a better future for the Kingdom, and for everybody.
    I agreed to be sacrificed, to feel the pain of the responsibilities, to suffer the shame of killing men, to have the duty of punishing the bad.
    I agreed, because I believed it was able to improve the current world.

I get up and slapped Michel.
    - “Michel, I won’t kill you.
    I’m not that kind of man. I have still my honor, and I still remember our old friendship.
    However, you betrayed me and the people of France. Because of that, you broke definitely any chance of peace between us.
    I will decide about your future Michel… You have not the choice anymore.

Désolé mon frčre.

I chained his arms with some little rope I found in my saddle.
    Michel screamed a little and finally talked to me for the first time.
    - “Why did you opposed me and Louis, Philippe?
    Why didn’t you want to accept your fate?
    We could have all lived peacefully…

His voice surprised me. The last time I heard it was 15 years ago. He still had the same characteristic toneless voice of his youth.

I replied calmly:
    - “Are you really thinking what you say?
    After all you did?
    You tried to make me your puppet. You hoped to kill me thanks to Norbert dagger. You wished to break the Kingdom of your father by making a mad alliance with those English pigs…

Do you really think we could have lived peacefully?

Michel didn’t reply. He was clever and knew that it was useless.
    I continued:
    - “You are definitely perverted and I can’t anymore trust you.
    It is a shame. I really loved and admired you when I was young. You were a perfect brother…
    But that little guy died years ago.
    Poor little Michel, he would have deserve not to be replaced by such a snake you are.

I spit on you my brother.
    I spit on the master plotter you are.
    I spit on the people of the shadow.

Let’s go to your future shadow den, the Louvre Dungeon…

Michel whispered:
    - “Please Philippe. Let me a chance…
    Let me a chance to live. I wouldn’t resist the dark and wet cell. You know that my health is weak and flimsy. I’m not the same than Louis or his son Charles.

Please Philippe; think about my wife and my sons. They need my help…
    Think about them. I beg you Philippe.
    Par pitié…

I perfectly knew he was trying to influence and pervert me. But deep inside, I knew that I couldn’t do anything terrible against him. I couldn’t behave with cruelty every time I had to solve a problem.
    Ah, damned Michel, you won’t suffer any physical torture, but be sure that you would suffer all the bad you did to me and the Kingdom…

Be sure of that my brother…

I didn’t say anything and helped him to mount his steed. I took the reins and led our two horses to Paris.
    The rain was light from then on, and we silently came back to the battlefield.

I was confident about the victory…

Michel didn’t try a single time to escape. He knew that he would have no chance and that I wouldn’t be as merciful if he failed.

When I entered the battlefield, I took conscious of the massacre. Hundreds of men were all around, lying in the mud. There was still some little movement in the background.
    The last of the English troops were still fighting and trying to flee.
    The Parisian people were merciless with them…

They were hunted like wild animals, before to be impaled, skinned and burnt…
    I shivered watching that bloody massacre. I could hardly order to stop that. The Parisian people suffered for too long the English siege. It was time for them to pay.

Soon the French soldiers understood that Michel was behind me, captured. They quickly surrounded us. Lot of them were celebrating the victory, congratulating me, and shouting “Vive le roi, vive Philippe…”.
    However, another part of the men began to insult Michel, and then to throw at him mud and stones. I feared for a moment that I couldn’t protect anymore Michel from the people furious anger.

Fortunately, Bertrand rushed and protected us from the mad soldiers. We rode quickly to Paris and the Louvre. The first task was to safely imprison Michel.
    I was exhausted and suffering my wounds. It was like in a blurred dream. Without a word, I brought Michel to his cell, then went with Bertrand and the other remaining knights to the royal court, where we announced the victory to the royal administrators, and asked for the Paris immediate rebuilding and cleaning.
    I then came almost sleepy to my private apartments. Margit was waiting me in the bedroom. My eyes were half-closed and my head burning. I kissed her in a last effort, and fell in the bed.
    I remember my brave Margit covering my back of kisses, but I fell like a heavy rock in the sea of the deep sleep.

The job was done. Nothing more to think about till my awakening…
    Perfect.
    Wonderful.
    Magnificent…

Thanks for your support during the MAARC.
    "An Eastern Jewel in a Western world" finished 2nd, thanks to your help.

I'm eager to continue this story till the end. Hopefully it should happen soon enough.

Flemish Campaign (Part V)
    Chapter LXXXVIII : The remains of a Kingdom

An de Grâce 1213 AC.
    Kingdom of France.
    Paris.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    Dauphin of the Kingdom.

I’m 32 years old.
    I suceeded to capture Michel and Charles who rebelled during the Paris Siege.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

He is a nightmare, but I captured him and threw him in the Dungeon, with his brother Louis.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Unfortunately for him, I captured the bad guy and threw him in the Dungeon, next to his father and uncle.

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthičvre
    "Personal spy"

Jacques d'Orléans
    "Priest"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

For some weeks, I let the royal family in the dark and wet dungeon of Le Louvre castle. I spent time to recover, to take back the strengths lost during that long and tough siege.

I learnt the hard news about the English. They had effectively taken control of the east of the Kingdom, because of the madness of Michel and Charles.

The strategic fortress of Metz and the wealthy city of Dijon were from then on Normand. It was a major loss. The Kingdom of France was divided in two parts, surrounded by enemies.
    There was the Southern part that I knew very well, centered on Zaragoza and Toulouse, and the Northern Part, led by Paris and Rheims.

My plan was to take those French lands back, as soon as possible.
    The problem was that I couldn’t stop my Flemish campaign. I had to use the current divisions amongst the last Flemish lords to conquer Bruges.

Then, I would have free hands to make pay those bastard English. I was absolutely decided to throw them all deep in the Channel.

However, the plan was hard. I didn’t have a lot of troops. Those in Paris had been almost all slaughtered, and the only soldiers I could rely on were in Rheims and Antwerp.
    Moreover, I should be quick because if the English decided to make a sudden and general attack, I wouldn’t succeed to achieve the same miracle I did in Paris.

I spent the whole winter elaborating and improving the master plan, praying for the English to remain quiet.
    I also made consistent effort to improve the diplomacy of the Kingdom. We were still excommunicated but a sort of unofficial agreement was made with the Danish Pope Honorius IV the Missionary. He behaved like France wasn’t existing, and I promised to improve the relations with our neighbors.
    Nevertheless, despite my good will to improve diplomacy, no Kingdoms or Duchy wished to ally with us, or simply to stop war. The only good news came from Milan. The Genovese and Milanese accepted a tactic alliance with us. I remembered when they attacked us, years ago, but I couldn’t refuse their proposition. I couldn’t afford to be at war with all our neighbors.

Therefore, the diplomacy wasn’t in a very good state, when spring came, with the birds and the flowers…

The only real thing which made me laugh during that hard winter was to hear people from Paris talking about Louis. The destitute king was still alive, and still be laughed at by the population.
    He was called Louis the malevolent.

People of Paris despised him a lot.
    They knew that he was a skilled warrior and general, but he made a lot of stupid decisions during his life. Moreover, he did some execrable acts like the murder of thousand people by pleasure, and believed in some pagan gods.
    He was a brutal and merciless destitute.

Who could like him in Earth? His home was definitely in Hell, but I wouldn’t like to kill him. I preferred to see him in the dungeon. It was a perfect example of my Authority, and it worked. No more rebellions occurred in the Kingdom, and the rebel French lords agreed to be my vassals, without attempting any plot against me…

The internal problem seemed to be solved, at least for a while.

The big issue was the preparing war against the Flemish remains…

Let’s disintegrate those merchant people, who grew in gold, and with pikes in their hands.
    Let’s finish those bloody Flemish.

congrats for the second place!
    also like your update.

regards

Thanks Tartaros.
    Your words are fueling my motivation to finish that story. I already know how it is going to end.

Chapter LXXXIX : To Bruges

An de Grâce 1213 AC.
    Kingdom of France.
    Paris.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    Dauphin of the Kingdom.

I’m 33 years old.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

He is a nightmare, but I captured him and threw him in the Dungeon, with his brother Louis.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Unfortunately for him, I captured the bad guy and threw him in the Dungeon, next to his father and uncle.

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthičvre
    "Personal spy"

Jacques d'Orléans
    "Priest"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Since the successful Paris siege, French people definitely agreed to see me as a good and skilled commander. They were confident.

It was exactly what I needed. To make the whole French people believe in me. A good king can’t be a bad general. Not a French one at least…

All my French vassals, dukes and barons, agreed to forget all the internal conflicts to unite with me against the English threat. It brought me a comfortable amount of soldiers ready to fight the next campaign.
    To celebrate the end of the revolution which began 11 years before, I organized a Royal Hunt in the Fontainebleau Forest. I took a great pleasure to discover that royal leisure. Jacques d’Orléans was at my side. He recovered from his terrible wounds and was the current Grandmaster of the Templar Order.

The Order was from now on a new weapon in my hand. I felt again the power rising inside me. I was ready to make the reconquest of France.

I still hesitated how to behave. Should I attack first Bruges and finish the Flemish forever, or should I instead take back Dijon to open again the roads between the North and the South of the Kingdom. Indeed, economically, the South and the North were interdependent, and we were already suffering the lack of gold, silver, and Mediterranean stuff in Paris.
    The trigger came from the North, when the guild of the salt merchants came to the Court. Their leader was a young merchant named Benoit de Vexin. He seemed to be a clever guy, speaking well and quite convincing.

When I offered him the right to speak, he announced:
    - “My lord,
    We, the guild of the salt merchants, are here to request your protection. I come directly from the Vexin, in the North. We are trading the salt from Flanders and Normandy. One week ago, we had been attacked by some Flemish rebels. They are forbidding us any access to our sea salt suppliers. They destructed our warehouses and had slain some of our partners.
    We never suffered such aggressiveness before.
    It is your duty to protect our border and the trade.

We believe you understand the critical importance of the salt. I live for the salt since 4 generations. I know its power.

Please help us, and you will save tons of good meat in the Capital.
    It is your duty my sovereign.

I missed to laugh.
    Finally that guy seemed a little disturbed. Maybe I could use him and the guild for some of my future plans. I knew the power of the Merchants guilds. They had a good knowledge about how to gather money better than a dragon. And I needed some money after the Paris siege.
    It was a perfect coincidence.

I replied, with a benevolent smile:
    - “Dear Benoit.
    I understand your major problem. I agree to fight in order to protect you and the salt.
    It is clearly a crucial good to keep in French hands.

I officially declare that we will besiege Bruges, and exterminate those bastards’ merchants.

Benoit frowned, and I understood my speaking mistake.
    - “Ehhh, I would like to say, those bastard Flemish merchants who steal the French salt from your guild.”
    I said quickly.

Benoit smiled, delighted. I then ended the Court Session and walked beside Benoit, speaking more privately with him.
    - “My dear Benoit,
    What is exactly the power of your guild? I admit that I don’t really know the power extent of your merchants groups…

Benoit stopped, fixed me as if he tried to assess why I was asking such a question. Nevertheless, he replied accurately.
    - “We are several hundred merchants in each guild, organizing the trade efficiently, helping each other, and sending information when new suppliers come to the market.
    At the end, we can almost raise some little troops to protect our critical warehouses, but that time, the Flemish are too much aggressive and doesn’t care fighting against our men. It is completely new and terrifying.”

I assured him that he won’t have any worries from now on. But I understood the power of those guilds. They were organized like my spy network, and most particularly, they had the possibility more than everyone else to travel in enemies territories. They knew better than anyone what the economical state of a Kingdom was and which supplies were crucial.
    I secretly decided to keep this guy close to me and to understand the merchant theories as soon as possible.

It was the beginning of my economic war projects. Weapons were not the only solution, but my youth previously blurred my eyes around that point.
    I was becoming wiser.

At the beginning of March, the weather seemed sufficiently nice to go campaigning. There was still a lot of wet mud in the countryside but I knew time was counted. Arnoul spy network in Bruges sent me some information that the Flemish had just elected a new leader. He was called Guy and was from the Flemish nobility.
    He was said having fought the French in several great battles, most particularly the one were Philippe Auguste had been killed. Moreover, that bastard was apparently cruel and ordered the massacre of the French people amongst Bruges the day before Noel.

I led a sufficiently important army. It was almost entirely foot soldiers as I didn’t have the time to build up a cavalry force, after all the past year events.
    There were a lot of spearmen militia hired in Paris and Rheims. Moreover, some of my vassals brought with them some swordsmen and axemen. My “Fleur de Lys” company, which suffered great losses during Paris siege, was there too. To end the army, some pikemen from Antwerp had been added, during the walk to Bruges.

A support army of bowmen and crossbowmen backed us. They were particularly useful to protect my main army during the trip.

Indeed, no Flemish force attacked us during the walk.
    It was clear that the new Flemish leader was hoping to crush us in Bruges. He probably wasn’t ready for a new field battle. Most particularly, Bruges was famous for having huge walls and skilled militia. It was the jewel of Flanders.

A grey evening, I was talking with Bertrand when I heard some shouts. I raised my head, and saw some movements at the first guard.
    I frowned and rushed there with my friend.

It wasn’t a bad new. It was Bruges.
    On the horizon, the proud and wealthy city was standing, near the Sea. I smiled.
    It would be mine.

Bertrand helped me to prepare the camp and protect our troops from any counter attack. Apparently, all the Flemish military forces were inside.

Bertrand had insisted to go with me to finish the Flemish campaign. I would have preferred him to administer Paris, and protect Margit and my family, but Bertrand said that he wouldn’t like to let other finish the campaign he started with me.
    I agreed, knowing that my dear Jacques would stay in the capital, but secretly, I knew that Bertrand was increasingly loving to see and participate to the battles. He was not the same man. When I met him, he was a young administrator and preferred calm and well thought decisions. But now he became one of my generals and was thinking more about battles and conquests.
    Was it my fault?
    He changed at my side, so I felt a little culprit. I should have probably faded on him.
    At the end, Bertrand was like my mirror. His changes were mine.

Anyway, I didn’t have the choice. I made the promise to avenge friends. I made the promise to help people.
    The only way to achieve it was the way of the sword. Sorry Bertrand if you also followed it.

I spent sad times thinking about that, about me.

Outside, the weather was like my mind. Grey and wet.

Chapter XC : Dark changing soul

An de Grâce 1213 AC.
    Flemish Duchy.
    Bruges.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    Dauphin of the Kingdom.

I’m 33 years old.
    I'm besieging the city of Bruges, still under the rebel power.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthičvre
    "Personal spy"

Jacques d'Orléans
    "Priest"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

I received some news from my spies inside the city soon enough.
    Apparently, we were outnumbering our foes. It was an important point during this siege. I remembered that we also outnumbered the Flemish during the last open field battle, and that we lost.
    I shivered.

The Flemish troops were constituted of the Dutch militia cream. The famous and proud pikemen, some halberd militia, and a bunch of spearmen and mounted knights.
    As usual, their armors were the best ones of the entire Christendom.
    I dribbled, thinking of stealing their armories, and their techniques.

We spent two weeks preparing the siege equipment. I would like to attack as soon as possible. Indeed, I didn’t have some real army to protect Paris and Rheims. It was important to win quickly and then to think about the swine Normand.
    The day of the battle, some cloudburst happened. It was perfect. The city was washed by the rain. It was time to wash it again with merchant blood.

With Bertrand and my bodyguards, we went to the top of a nearby hill, and observed the scene.

My troops were there, behind the siege towers, ready for the attack. They were waiting for my orders.

We rode down the hill and when I arrived in front of my brave men, I raised Durandal and said no more than 3 words:
    - “Pas de quartier !”

It was clear and simple, as the mind of my soldiers. They cheered and the troops assigned to push the siege equipments began their work, under the horns of my army.

At the other side of Bruges, my master plan was supposed to begin. I secretly ordered my light infantry to assault the city with ladders, taking opportunity of my diversion.
    I hoped they could succeed.

The Flemish bowmen were waiting for us. The battlements were full of Dutch. It reminded me the Paris siege. I was definitely shell shocked by that event.

However, that time, I was the besieger and I would be merciless, to cut the last hopes of that devil merchant people.
    When the burning arrows pierced the grey sky, I couldn’t stop laughing. They would have no chance. Everything was wetter than water.

I was focused on our men carrying the rams. I had been advised by my spies to break their gates, which weren’t sufficiently thick.
    I was ready to rush with my troops as soon as the first hole would be made.

Lots of French died during that first stage of the siege. It wasn’t easy pushing the siege towers and the Flemish walls were full of embrasures.
    Anyway, after some hours, we were ready.
    I ordered my shock troops to climb and to be the first to fight. It was a great honor.

A little while after my men entered the siege towers, I received a message from the frontline.
    “The gates seemed ready to break, despite the efforts of the Flemish to reinforce them.”

- “Perfect! Let’s ring the charge my dear Bertrand.”

Bertrand, still at my side, ordered the men to surge to the gates.
    We watched silently the whole army running to the city, like starving birds on a cherry tree.

The blue colors would replace the yellowish ones in the city. Definitely…

The siege towers opened their doors and the first French soldiers jumped in the battlements. They were welcome by some tough pikemen. I was confident on my men.

I was right. They did a carnage there. I knew the source of their eagerness.
    After long thoughts, I promised to my soldiers that they could pillage the city. I still remember what happened in Rome and how I regretted it.
    But France was surrounded. England, Holy Roman Empire, Castille y Leon, Papal States… They were all waiting for the opportunity to bleed us.

I couldn’t be merciful anymore. I was obliged to show a darker face to the world. A face they would fear. A face that would prove the French military superiority.
    I needed it to achieve my plans.

It is better to be feared than being loved.
    Most particularly by your enemies…

No mercy was allowed that grey day.

The doors broke.
    The blue wide river flooded into the city, crushing everyone in the way.

The Flemish were surprised. They didn’t think we could break their gate so easily.
    Ah ah… How could a merchant understand the skilled mind of a general?
    I laughed at them.
    My men cleared the way and let my mercenary pikemen enter.

I felt the time was appropriated to back my troops. There were no more bowmen to shoot at us, because the fight was raging on the battlements. We rode calmly to the gate.
    I caught sight of my men fighting above. Step after step, they were taking the advantage over the bloody pikemen.

- “Let’s exterminate the last Flemish pikemen my friends.” I shouted to them.

Below, the Flemish Duke organized the counter attack and charged on my men.
    It was already lost for him. My mercenary pikemen were holding the position, protecting my other soldiers from the Dutch hooves.

I decided to take the oriflamme and to lead my men to the victory.
    Like a lion, I roared:
    - “A l’assault, ŕ l’assault.
    I will lead you to the victory.
    I will lead you to glory.
    I will lead you to the Dutch treasure chest.

To the treasure chest my men…”

I felt the power tickling my fingers. I rushed in the melee.
    We entered hell. The Duke Guy had counter attacked with all the forces he had.
    Thousand of infantry soldiers were fighting in close fight.
    Thousand of screams were shouted to the sky.
    Thousand of blood drops splashed.
    Thousand of sparks shot up from swords.

I was there.
    I was in the middle of that epic fight.
    The fight of an independent duchy.
    The fight for survival.

We were heroes.
    No time to think anymore, I had to fight and Durandal waved around my head, cutting arms, piercing bodies, smashing faces…

My face was bloodied by the merchants’ blood.
    I succeeded to see my brave Bertrand, fighting in the middle of some Flemish pikemen. Suicide…

Strangely, I didn’t fear for him. It was like we were, me and my soldiers, touched by a sort of God Grace, fearing nothing, ready for everything.
    Bertrand crushed the pikemen.
    They ran away like animals.

Brave Bertrand, I rode to congratulate him when I heard the Duke Guy horn. He was charging, like in a desperate attempt to prevent us to destroy the last Flemish jewel…
    I raised Durandal, rallied my men and charged him.

I stood against them.
    It was my turn to protect my men. Durandal and my steed were the new living French defences. They wouldn’t pass.
    It was their last chance.

They didn’t pass.
    No mercy.
    My pikemen organized and slaughtered the last Flemish knights.
    We were decimating their nobility, and strangely, I wasn’t annoyed.

I was changing.

My heart and my mind were slowly transforming and nothing seemed strong enough to save my soul from the dark feelings surrounding me.
    My right arm was burning because of all my efforts.

Suddenly, I saw the Duke. He was not very well protected by his bodyguards, and he decided to flee. I shouted over the melee, trying to provoke him with some insults, but the coward disappeared with his last knights in some dark streets.

Coward Flemish…

Chapter XCI : Carnage

An de Grâce 1213 AC.
    Flemish Duchy.
    Bruges.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    Dauphin of the Kingdom.

I’m 33 years old.
    I'm besieging the city of Bruges, still under the rebel power.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthičvre
    "Personal spy"

Jacques d'Orléans
    "Priest"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

A clamor burst around me.
    We had won. There were no more Dutch alive. The battlements were also secured.

Victory!!!
    I searched for Bertrand and found him. We hugged like old friends. I was so pleased nothing happened to him. I didn’t have a lot of friends.
    I thought about Olivier. I thought about the pain he was probably still suffering, if alive.
    I made the promise to search for him as soon as the French Kingdom would be secured.

My generals rushed around me. Some of my soldiers were already burning some houses around.
    I took conscious about what could happen if nothing was decided.

- “My dear friends. The battle is not finished.
    Let’s find that coward Duke.
    Let’s meet our friends who should be at the opposite side of the city.
    Let’s take control of the royal Flemish court…

And then, I promise you would be free for the rest of the day.

Let’s go my brave friends.

We surged forward.

Just before to leave the gates, I turned back my head and understood the meaning of the word “slaughter”.
    It was a disaster.

I had no time to apologize.
    I followed my furious soldiers. It was the hunting time.

We took time to control and lead the mad men of my army.
    They were already thinking the battle was won. I thought the same…

We passed along a graveyard.
    - “At least those Dutch won’t be slain…”
    I joked with Bertrand.

Suddenly we saw them.
    The last Flemish soldiers. And the coward duke.

They finally decided to wait for us.
    I was pleased.
    I was ready for a charge.

Without waiting for our infantry, slightly euphoric, we charged.
    I wasn’t used with a street charge but I have to admit I enjoyed it. There was a feeling of power, a feeling of fastness…

The Flemish Duke was waiting for the impact with his last knights. Until the last moment, I thought we would smash them in a single rush.
    Unfortunately, I hadn’t seen the spear militia waiting for us…

We clearly disintegrated them, but suffered the sharp spears.
    They were waiting for us, and killed some of my men with their usual perfidy. They surely knew that it was useless capturing us, as the battle seemed to be lost for them.
    The unfortunate French knights whose steed was pierced by the spears didn’t have a single chance. The Flemish killed them.

I ordered to rush back, angry.
    There was no honor or glory to find against that scum. I preferred to wait for my infantry to crush them.

I heard the Flemish mocking laughter and insults. I clenched my fist around Durandal.
    “They will pay for that”. I thought.

My infantry troops were there. I decided to round the block of houses in order to trap and slay the “Flemish jokers”.

It took us some time to find our way in that unknown city, but we finally heard some fight noise and it led us to the right street.
    The Flemish Duke Guy was indeed there, fighting with his last men and infantry. The poor guy was holding the Flemish flag. The last flag.

It was almost pathetic.
    An upstart Duke fighting alone for a Duchy he never reigned upon.

I hailed him, throwing my helmet.
    He turned his head and saw that he was trapped.

I charged them. The last Flemish flowers.
    I was Attila. No more would grow again where I pass…

The fear filled Guy face and, like a hounded animal, he flew and tried to find a way amongst my infantry troops to escape, and save his life.
    I have to admit that there was some courage, when doing that uncourageous escape.

However, the rule of the Nature had already decided his fate.
    Surrounded, alone, wounded, with hundreds spears pointed at him, it was written that Guy would die that grey day.

It happened. The Duke wouldn’t like to surrender, probably thinking about the torture.
    He died alone.
    The last Flemish man was cut down.

I raised Durandal, and shouted:
    - “The city is yours my friend. Take your amount of gold. You deserved it.
    However, to honor Philippe Auguste and his fight against the Dutch, half of the treasure you will find would go to the crown…”

I meditated few seconds about what I had just said.
    It was not very clever, as the men would try to find as much money as possible, maybe more than if I hadn’t said anything.

I tried to call my men back, but it was impossible. I resigned myself to let free my men, wishing that not too much blood would be spilled that day.

I then thought about my reinforcement army which should have attacked simultaneously. Where were they? Didn’t they assault Bruges?

I was suddenly a little worried and ordered my bodyguards to go with me and inspect the city. It wasn’t a bad idea.
    We found there some Flemish troops trying to hide and escape the city. We killed those who were isolated. However, some were better organized. It was the case of some halberd militia.

When they understood we had found them, they did a defensive formation and waited for us.
    I asked my infantry troops around to fight them. I promised that those who would fight would be allowed to take the beautiful armors of the foes. Knowing the price of those armors, a lot of soldiers rushed, disorganized, to take their fistful of gold.

It was a slaughter, butchery.

My men, disorganized, fell at first against the Flemish, but soon, the last defenders couldn’t cope against that sea of bloodthirsty soldiers rushing from everywhere.

They were surrounded, exterminated, dismembered, mutilated…
    It was a real carnage.

Even some of my bodyguards charged without order the last Flemish.

I felt something went wrong. A stark raving madness filled my soldiers, my men and my knights. No one seemed to care about orders, about authority.

I knew I allowed my men to take their gold, in order to reward them for their bravery and courage, but that moment, they were over control.
    The guiltiness quickly submerged my trouble mind.
    I felt like I was a bloody Crusader killing the people of Acres.
    I felt like I was literally killing my father.

- “NOOOOONNNNNN” I screamed.
    I felt mad.

I rushed in the middle of the melee, ordering my men to stop the carnage, ordering my men to stop the bloody butchery.

A warm wave suddenly came from my heart, and filled my body, my legs and arms. I couldn’t move anymore.
    I was choking.
    I had difficulties to remain on my saddle and felt Durandal falling in the ground, in the middle of the melee.
    The warm wave came to my head and wrapped my mind and face.
    My view became blurred and I heard a voice beside me, shouting twice the same word.
    - “Attention, Attention!!!”

My mind sunk in a dark, deep and cold sea.

*Gasps*

Sir, that was an incredible cliffhanger. I applaud your storytelling-- and sincerely hope you return soon to explain what just happened.