Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

Default Re: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

French Campaign (Part III)
    Chapter LIV : Veillée d'armes...

An de Grâce 1209 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    On the road to Paris.

!!!Medieval Music to listen!!!
    Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Philippe Capet, adoptive son of the French King. However, my real name is Muhammad Sahadeddine. I’ve been adopted because of an amazing coincidence. I hoped to become a hero of Chivalry, and help the poor and the orphans.
    I know, I’ve read a lot of hero stories, but I was a dreamer…
    I’m 28 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.
    I’ve killed the Pope myself, and destroyed the entire Papal States.
    I’m back in France, suceeded to avoid all the traps made by Michel and Louis, and became the rightful ruler of the Iberian part of the Kingdom.
    I raised some loyal troops and I decided to assault Paris and Louis.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

It is my elder “brother”, and the King of France.
    He is a very skilled and fearful warrior. He can be qualified as a “butcher”.
    He is my worst enemy since he raped and killed my first love Hélène.
    He is in Paris, and after some hard times, it seems that he took back his authority. He sent me some extermination forces.

Michel.
    "Brother"

It is my second “brother”. He is one year and a half more than me.
    We were very good friends during our childhood, but it seems that these happy times are over.
    Michel is the unofficial leader of the Kingdom, because he had managed to use the lords as a tool to take the command of the Kingdom, against Louis. I’m the heir just because of his will.
    He is working in the shadows and is potentially more dangerous than Louis himself.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

It is the only child and son of the king Louis the Merciless.
    He was supposed to be the rightful heir but because of Michel plans, I’ve stolen him the title. He should be very angry…
    Maybe because of that, he decided to be a rebel in order to steal his father’s crown, and had been thrown by Louis in the Paris dungeon. He has been reconciled and is one more trap in my road.

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I’m now considered as a real noble and I’m a little more protected against the anger of Louis.
    She is definitely ugly and I absolutely don’t want to sleep with her.
    The problem is that she deeply loves me.
    Despite the nightmares, I made her pregnant and I let her in Toledo. She gave birth to Philippe, my first son.

Margit.
    "Secret love"

She is my deep love. Nobody knows that, even my close friends.
    She is beautiful and clever. She is a Hungarian princess.
    Now that the problems had been solved with Olivier, I spent wonderful times with her.
    She has given birth to our son, Raoul, and to Sibylle, our first daughter.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who just taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I’m the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He was sending me Michel orders.
    He killed my dear friend Charles de Bouillon and try to slay me.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He was one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    Moreover, he seems very clever and he helped me to convince the army that the Pope Alexander was an enemy.
    After some love problems we finally overcome, he is from now on my "compagnon d'arme".

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin is a local noble from brittany, who became the governor of Pamplona. He believed in my dream to found a new Kingdom and he became one of my close friends. He helps me more than everyone else to build an alternate Kingdom in the Iberian Peninsula

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Arnoul is my best personal spy.
    He was previously spying for Philippe Auguste, my father. He is extremely experimented and plays a key role in my chess game against Louis and Michel. This guy saved me when I was the prisoner of Baudouin, waiting for my death...

Dead Heroes...

Philippe Auguste the Chivalrous.
    DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

He was my adoptive father, but also the French King.
    He loved the Chivalric Code, and enjoyed good tournaments. He was a wise ruler and French people liked him a lot.
    He died in battle, against Flanders, trying to defend Paris.

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Charles was the governor of Toulouse citadel and then the governor of Zaragoza.
    Charles was my only real “friend”. He liked me and I could trust him.
    He was not a warrior, but he was a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.
    He had saved me from Louis’s sword.
    He had finally been killed by that bastard Norbert when I was away in Italy...

I finally decided to continue our walk through the French countryside. I was extremely disappointed when I was obliged to “steal” some supplies in the little villages we were crossing. How could I help the French people to achieve prosperity when I have no more solution than to take their food for free?
    My men began to be exhausted and made some little rebellion. One time, I feared they were no more believing in me and in my goal. They were probably seeing me as a little lord, unable to take even a medium city like Dijon.

I ordered the generals to pay twice the soldiers. It worked at the beginning. Indeed, soldiers were not used to be paid that much. After three weeks, we reached the Royal Ile de France. We were not burning any village or castles but the local population was fleeing.
    We were like an evil invading army. It was hard to think that people could consider you like no more than a bastard rebel.
    I was convinced I could make them happy and proud to be ruled by me if I could have sufficient time to demonstrate my good feelings.

The only problem was that. To have sufficient time.
    Louis was surely not willing to give me any second to prove my goodwill.

My troops were camping near the main road from the south to go to Paris. I was waiting some of my spies report before to engage the fight. I didn’t know if Louis was still in Paris and if he had planned any trap.
    I was writing some letters to Margit and my sons and daughter in Toulouse when Olivier entered the royal tent. He was followed by one of my most crucial agent : Arnoul.

I was so pleased to see him that I stopped my work and hugged him strongly. Arnoul thanked me but he wasn’t smiling.
    He sat on the first chair he found and announced, watching me deeply in my eyes:
    - “Time of the battle had arrived. Louis the Merciless and the royal army are few miles north from here. The final fight will happen tomorrow. I succeeded to cross the French lines to send you the news.”

I sat in my chair and asked Olivier to do the same. I wasn’t smiling anymore. I should learn all the details about Louis and his army in order to make all the chances in our side.
    - “Arnoul, my dear friend, please explain us every little detail. My fate is going to be played once again and it is the battle I’ve not the right to lose.”

Arnoul took a breath and sighed deeply.
    - “The battle would be tough. Louis is a great general and the army he succeeded to raise against you is strong and experienced. Moreover, the fine flower of the French chivalry would be there to protect the king.
    Indeed, when Louis learned that you were arriving to fight, he asked for the royal ost and a lot of the great vassals replied they agreed to fight beside him.
    It will be the fight between the South and the North of the Kingdom.
    It will be the struggle between the king and the Heir.
    It will be the battle between two men the life divided from the beginning.

No need to tell you that the entire Christendom is awaiting the results of that crucial battle to decide which side to choose, or worst, when to attack the defenseless and exhausted Kingdom.
    The risk is that there could be no winner, but Flanders or the Holy Empire…”

I get up suddenly, the blood rising in my veins like the fire in a dry wood.
    - “No Arnoul, I will win and the people of the Kingdom will live an era of peace. I’m determined to protect the borders as soon as Louis’s head would lie on the top of a spear.
    My troops are also veteran warriors and I even succeeded to recruit some local nobles, rebels to the crown, during my trip from Toulouse.

The only possibility for me is to win. I made a promise years ago.

This battle would be the one of Hélène.
    And be sure her name won’t be spoilt by a defeat. She was the flower of the youth and beauty.
    She was my “fleur de Lys”.
    I don’t think there is a god, protecting the Earth, but I’m convinced there is a justice and Louis can’t stay unpunished anymore.”

Olivier was drinking my words. He was one of the best fighters I knew but I was always embarrassed to see him so naïve and impressionable.
    However, he kept his ideas clear and asked Arnoul a crucial question:
    - “What about Michel and Charles the Brute? Are they fighting with Louis? Are they still in Paris?”

Arnoul laughed a little.
    - “Of course Michel isn’t in the army. He is still fleeing the simple view of a sword, even if he knows every corner of darkness. Michel stays in Rheims.
    About Charles the Brute, Louis himself decided him not to go in the royal army. He was forced to lead a reinforcement army and to protect the Seine. It is why Charles is waiting behind the river and blocking the bridges.
    It means that you have two difficulties to overcome. Louis army and then Charles’s blockade.
    However, Charles’s army is not as strong as Louis one.”

It would be a man duel. There would be only Louis and me. What a good new, I thought secretly. I felt some tingling in my fingers.
    Durandal would meet Joyeuse soon…

I asked during long hours Arnoul in order to gauge the strength of Louis’s army.
    Firstly, Louis would be probably relying on his crossbowmen at the beginning of the fight, just as me.
    Secondly, there were a lot of experimented spearmen and swordsmen in Louis’s army. It was sure that he would try to submerge my lines with a spear wave. I should cope with that, thanks to my own Iberian spearmen.
    Then, his cavalry was very strong and much better than mine. Indeed, the flower of the French chivalry was amongst the king’s troops. My only solution was to use efficiently my light cavalry to divert them from the heart of the fight.
    However, I had one advantage over the French army. There were the troops of local nobles from the South of France. I wasn’t fool and engaged a lot of old Cathar soldiers.
    The Cathars were very experimented in war and they were maybe the only people grateful with me about the Pope murder I committed. Before to reach Toulouse, I sent a lot of scouts to spread the message that every Cathar soldier who will fight with me would be allowed to continue his faith. Hundreds of Catalan nobles and warriors agreed to do the trip to Paris.
    They were my loyal and secret shock troops and I was relying a lot on them to win against the French northern troops.

The fratricide battle could begin, I was ready…

Default Re: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

this is a great,great AAR

and thank for the medieval music list.

Thanks for the support my friend.
    About the medieval music, all the congrtulations have to be made to Brips, because I use the link he found.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389092

Thanks again.

Rilder's Avatar Miles

Excellent AAR! Can't wait for the next update...

Thanks a lot for your support Rilder.
    Here is the next update, as asked

Chapter LV : The village of Boistrudan

An de Grâce 1209 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    On the road to Paris.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Philippe Capet, adoptive son of the French King. However, my real name is Muhammad Sahadeddine. I’ve been adopted because of an amazing coincidence. I hoped to become a hero of Chivalry, and help the poor and the orphans.
    I’m 28 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.
    I’m back in France, suceeded to avoid all the traps made by Michel and Louis, and became the rightful ruler of the Iberian part of the Kingdom.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

He is in Paris, and after some hard times, it seems that he took back his authority. He is waiting for me near the Seine to fight the last battle.

Michel.
    "Brother"

We were very good friends during our childhood, but it seems that these happy times are over.
    Michel is the unofficial leader of the Kingdom, because he had managed to use the lords as a tool to take the command of the Kingdom, against Louis. I’m the heir just because of his will.
    He is working in the shadows and is potentially more dangerous than Louis himself.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

He was supposed to be the rightful heir but because of Michel plans, I’ve stolen him the title. He should be very angry…
    Maybe because of that, he decided to be a rebel in order to steal his father’s crown, and had been thrown by Louis in the Paris dungeon. He has been reconciled and is one more trap in my road.

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I’m now considered as a real noble and I’m a little more protected against the anger of Louis.
    Despite the nightmares, I made her pregnant and I let her in Toledo. She gave birth to Philippe, my first son.

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Now that the problems had been solved with Olivier, I spent wonderful times with her.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who just taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I’m the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He was sending me Michel orders.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He was one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    Moreover, he seems very clever and he helped me to convince the army that the Pope Alexander was an enemy.
    After some love problems we finally overcome, he is from now on my "compagnon d'arme".

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin is a local noble from brittany, who became the governor of Pamplona. He believed in my dream to found a new Kingdom and he became one of my close friends. He helps me more than everyone else to build an alternate Kingdom in the Iberian Peninsula

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

He was previously spying for Philippe Auguste, my father. He is extremely experimented and plays a key role in my chess game against Louis and Michel. This guy saved me when I was the prisoner of Baudouin, waiting for my death...

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

He loved the Chivalric Code, and enjoyed good tournaments. He was a wise ruler and French people liked him a lot.

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

He was not a warrior, but he was a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.

I spent all the following day to find the perfect place to defend. I was sure that Louis would like to engage the fight as soon as possible. If he was as ebullient as during my youth, he couldn’t wait.
    Obviously, I was right.

My scouts reported during the afternoon that the French troops were very close from my position. I had decided to organize my troops around a little village and church. The people of there had fled since days.
    The interesting detail was that the village was built in a hole. Just behind it, there was a cliff where a big church was lying.
    The name of that village was Boistrudan. It meant “crooks wood”. Indeed, there were some woods all around. I didn’t see any crook there but I felt that the name of that village was particularly interesting…
    There was a feeling of trap that evening.

I decided to place my troops using the advantages of the field, and most particularly of the cliff.

When I heard the news that Louis’s troops were approaching, I understood the battle would occur before the night. I quickly ordered my crossbowmen to dispose in a skirmisher formation, in order to protect the movements of my other troops.
    It was important to protect my army before the bulk of my foot soldiers were placed as I wanted to.

Twilight was coming. The sky was strangely bloody. I remember well the strange atmosphere of those times. I didn’t know exactly how far was Louis and his army. I was very worried he could engage the fight before my troops were ready for the battle.
    My crossbowmen were very anxious about a possible cavalry charge. They were the only men I had disposed to protect the others.

I was inspecting the troop’s movement with my friends and bodyguards. It took two hours. Two hours of stress.

The days before the battle, I decided with my generals that we couldn’t fight with the traditional blue doublets, because the battle might have become too confusing. We decided to wear some white colors.
    It was the color of the truth and justice. It was the perfect color.

That time, I decided to use a strong shield. It was not the usual battles I had fought and I was wary of some arrows trap Louis could have elaborated against me. Apart from that, I was using the same beautiful armor and obviously, Durandal was my best friend, once again.

When all my troops had reached their position, I ordered the crossbowmen to place themselves in front of the church, on the top of the cliff.
    I was relieved that nothing wrong happened during those tense times.

We could already see the dusk clouds of the French army, which was very close from the village now…

Chapter LVI : The battle plan

An de Grâce 1209 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Boistrudan.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

He is in Paris, and after some hard times, it seems that he took back his authority. He is waiting for me near the Seine to fight the last battle.

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

The first thing I ordered was to place my mailed cavalry at the left wing.
    I knew that the French would try to attack that wing first, because there were neither cliffs nor village to block them from the heart of my troops. Moreover, it was the unique place where could occur a cavalry charge.
    In addition, my foot soldiers were just near the church, protecting their back with the old stones of the walls.

I placed my spearmen between the church and the cliff, making a spear wall protecting my crossbowmen. I decided that they should use the shiltron formation. It was perfect to counter the cavalry charges, and also to disorganize the infantry formations.

At the right wing, it was easier to defend, because of the cliff and the village, which were difficult for massive troops to cross.
    As said before, my crossbowmen were on the top of the cliff. It was an extremely comfortable position. The only way for Louis to outflank my army was to pass down the cliff and try to attack my right wing. Some sharp arrows would surely wait for these troops…

Protecting the slope of the cliff, they were some heavy axemen. I preferred to place them at the right wing because it was sure that no cavalry troops would risk passing down the cliff or by the village.
    The poor foot soldiers that would have the courage to attack the right wing would surely go straight to the slaughterhouse.

Me, Philippe Capet, the heart of this army, was waiting behind the crossbowmen. My view was excellent and I was well protected. I could also easily rout if some unexpected problems would occur.
    Between the church and my crossbow wall, I couldn’t find a better place to start the fight.
    I was ready…

Every general could think that my battle position was interesting for a normal battle.
    However, it wasn’t a normal battle, it was a fratricide one and I had to face no less that the king of France, no less than maybe the best warrior since Philippe Auguste.
    I shouldn’t make a “normal battle” strategy…
    I was obliged to invent some cunning stratagem.

My stratagem was lying in the village. I decided to place there the bulk of my secret strengths, the Cathar knights…

I placed the first unit of them between the cliff and the village. They would be the guards of the “butchery place”. I was expecting lots of troops to come down the cliff, and there was like a natural hole there.
    If my Cathars knights succeeded to block them there, it would be a massacre, without any doubts.
    These knights were from the Corbières. A desert area at the West of Narbonne and Perpignan. Only tough men were living there, building amazing castles and fortress to protect their people from the Spanish and Catalan attacks.

The other troops of Cathars, these one coming mainly from the wealthy cities of Carcassonne and Beziers, were placed in the village. I ordered them to hide themselves in gardens and houses in order to make a trap to the French troops who would dare to enter there.

There were all much experimented knights. I was sure they could be destructive against every troop.
    The only doubt I had was that probably no French troops would enter the village of Boistrudan. In that case, my plan was to call them, in order to attack the back of the French forces, already fighting.

My plan seems perfect for me and my soldiers, but I knew since my early years of command that everything could happen, and most particularly the less expected.

I was still lost in those thoughts when we heard a horn far away. We all glanced at the horizon, and we saw the first blue lights, emerging from the woods…

The french…

Chapter LVII : The first blood
    An de Grâce 1209 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Boistrudan.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Louis’s army was there, ready for the fight.
    As planned, the French seemed to come straight to me, letting the village at their left. Their formation was the usual one.
    An infantry line, followed by the crossbowmen, and then the King Louis the Merciless. Heavy cavalry troops were flanking the bulk of the army.
    We could hear the deep sound of their walk…

Each of us was tense. The fear of blood mixed with the pleasure of the fight…

We caught sight of the experimented warriors who were coming. They were some Champagne spearmen, some Burgundy swordsmen…
    In the middle of the cloud made by the feet hammering the floor, they were brightness of steel. The steel of the heavy axes of the Ile de France knights.
    I knew them better than anyone else. I saw them training when I was young. They were the warriors I feared the most…

Just behind was the flower of the cavalry. The noble counts, dukes and barons of the kingdom were all beside Louis. Their war steeds were all protected by steal armors. It was the first time I saw so well equipped knights. It was clear that they were the best cavalry amongst the entire Christendom.
    I felt defenseless observing them…
    However, even steal armors could be pierced, and I convinced me that it would happen this bloody evening.

They suddenly stopped.
    The two armies were facing each other.
    A blue line against a white one. Blue and white mixing with red…
    This battle could be the source of inspiration of an interesting poem…

However, it wasn’t time for poetry. I sent an emissary to Louis. Everybody watched the two groups of messengers gathering, speaking, and then coming back.
    I ordered them to negotiate the destitution of Louis, in exchange of his spared life. In other words, I was clearly asking for a death battle.

Obviously, Louis’s answer was not surprising.
    - “I will cut myself your bastards bowls… fils de chienne…”.

I smiled. The only bowls which would be cut tonight will be the one of a rapist…
    Of a king and a butcher by the way…

I ordered my crossbow to be prepared. I bent down my headset helmet.
    Battle could begin.

When the French infantry began to advance, I felt the fury flooding in my body. Hélène was dancing in front of my eyes.
    It was a real dream.

The spearmen were the first strength to run toward our lines. Their shields were large and their spears sharp. The only question was which way they would choose.
    The cliff hole or my spearmen shiltron wall?

We heard some horns from behind the French lines, and suddenly, the blue line which seemed to go straight against my shiltrons moved left and dived into the cliff hole.
    They tried to attack me in the right wing first.
    I smiled. They were fool…

Didn’t they see my crossbowmen at the top of the cliff, or was it the famous French scornful feeling that made them underestimating me?

- “Those bastards would learn to think twice…”.
    I said to Olivier, beside me.

I ordered my crossbowmen to shoot at them in a single shot when the bulk of the foe’s troops were engaged down the cliff.

The carnage could begin.
    Thanks to our upper position, the crossbowmen could shoot accurately the French foot soldiers. Moreover, the poor guys couldn’t protect them efficiently.
    It was like they were attacking a real fortress.

The arrows were piercing the bloody sky…

Poor soldiers… They were entering hell…
    The first blood was spread and soon a river flowed down to the cliff.
    Even some cavalry troops joined the massacre. Louis’s order couldn’t be questioned, apparently. They were doing their duty, but lost a lot of their friends there…

My troops didn’t suffer a single injury for the moment.

- “It is just the beginning” whispered Olivier.

The beginning of a long night…
    Definitely.

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Very exciting reading this battle!

Fils de chienne… what a great expression

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

Kabeloko's Avatar Biarchus

exellent AAR, looking forward for the next chapter

Shadrach
    Very exciting reading this battle!

Fils de chienne… what a great expression
    Thanks .
    I think I have to add more french insults so...

Kabeloko
    exellent AAR, looking forward for the next chapter
    I'm pleased you liked it my friend.
    Here is the next chapter.

Chapter LVIII : Chess game

An de Grâce 1209 AC.

Royaume de France.
    Boistrudan.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

At the same moment the spearmen went down the cliff, a huge strength of French crossbowmen ran toward my shiltrons to shoot at them.
    They were hundreds and seemed quite accurate.
    When they started their counter-shooting, some of my spearmen fell down.

I was very annoyed. I couldn’t make my crossbowmen change their target to protect my spearmen because waves of French soldiers were flooding down the cliff. I only prayed my spearmen could overcome some times of French free shooting.

The first French troops succeeded to pass the cliff trap. Units of courageous swordsmen were running toward my lines where another danger was waiting for them.
    The Cathars knights…

The sword battle could begin.
    Some black clouds were there to remember the death fratricide. French swords bloodied by French blood.
    I was still waiting at the top of the cliff. For the moment, everything went well. I was watching carefully Louis and his cavalry. I knew it would be the crucial key of the battle.

I was right.
    I heard another signal and clearly saw a knight crying the order to charge our lines.
    There were a lot of famous knights amongst the French lines but the most important part was compound of sergeants. They weren’t as trained as the knights but they were perfect troops to circle and outflank our ranks.

Three companies of heavy cavalry were charging our left wing, the shiltron one. The problem was that my spearmen were already decimated because of the French crossbowmen.
    I feared my left wing could be disintegrated by the French charge.
    It is why I ordered my cavalry reserve to counter the charge before the three blue waves could reach my lines.

I saw the groups of knights ready to tear each other apart without any mercy. Some soldiers who were already in close fight stopped for a while to see the charge of their brothers.
    Even for me who saw a lot of charges, it was still a special feeling to assist that great show.
    Two blocks of flesh and metal crashing each other !

Sharpen tips were piercing bodies of men and steeds. Cries, broken wood and screams…
    Then it is time for the survivors to take their swords and to engage the close fight.

However, the problem was that some groups of French knights and sergeants succeeded to charge my spearmen lines. The spearmen suffered heavy casualties before to gather and to engage the fight. Some of my men were fighting with spears when others were using maces.

The fight was everywhere now. At the left and right wing. Between cavalry.
    Louis was still waiting behind his troops. He seemed cleverer than during his youth, where he was relying only on his courage and madness.

The French were keeping their elite troops in reserve and I was doing the same.
    In other words, apart for the cavalry charge, there were only preliminaries.
    Neither I nor Louis would like to engage the shock troops.

It was a chess game where the two players are waiting the opponent mistake…

Chapter LIX : Height of the battle

An de Grâce 1209 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Boistrudan.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Louis was finally the first to play.

He sent a group of heavy axemen in the village. Surely in order to round my Cathar knights, still fighting against the bulk of the French infantry.

It was like a death squadron in the little village of Boistrudan. I guessed that if some people remained there, they should have been worried to see these deadly warriors, ready to cut arms and legs.
    However, I was pleased to see that because I knew the trap I had made with the Carcassonne and Beziers knights. The streets might be bloody soon.

At the same moment, the other shock troops of Louis attacked my left wing of spearmen, already decimated by the cavalry charge.
    I knew it was one crucial moment. I couldn’t afford to see my lines broken because the crossbowmen behind should be protected. They were still exchanging arrows with the French crossbowmen and the troops below the cliff.

It is why I urged and exhorted my spearmen to hold the position. It was a matter of time. The sun was falling and it was nearly the sunset.
    The shadow of the church towers was increasing and falling on the left wing battle. The shadow of death…

My spearmen gathered and found again the courage to fight until the end.
    Some cavalry sergeant who made the mistake to stay in the melee understood that very well. It was a massacre and each side was fighting for friends fallen beside.

I was impatient to fight or even to help my soldiers but it was wiser to stay behind.
    Thanks to that, my men were aware that I was still alive and ready to protect them in case of desperate situation.

At the left of the melee, the great fight between my cavalry and a part of the French one was almost finished. No men routed and the battle was close to be won or lost.
    There was a real pool of blood where were lying carcasses of knights and steeds.

At the other side of the battle, in the village of Boistrudan, my Cathar knights had succeeded to ambush the French axemen. The swords were fighting against the two hand axes.
    Every street corner was a fighting area. Knights were dueling in gardens and even in some houses.
    The close combat…
    I was confident on my knights to take the advantage. I was just disappointed that I couldn’t round the French lines until every axemen had been defeated.

At the left, my spearmen lines were shrinking. The remaining French cavalry was charging them again and again and the last men were gathering around their captain and flag. The French didn’t lose their ardor and I began seriously to fear the break of my lines.

Maybe it was time for me to enter the battle?
    Olivier nodded when I asked for his opinion.

I was hesitating…

I still disposed of a fresh light cavalry behind the village. They were troops I planned to counter some French cavalry or to rout some hypothetic exhausted French troops.
    For the moment, there wasn’t any use of them and I thought it could be intelligent to send them in the melee to reinforce the left wing of my army.
    Instead of me and my knights.

I was asking again Olivier what was his opinion about them when I saw the danger…

A group of strong cavalry knights had succeeded to go round Boistrudan and were in a very dangerous position for my troops. They could rush in the back of my Cathar knights still protecting the right wing of my army, or even surround my knights fighting in the village.

I feared that it could be the turning point of the battle.

Indeed, I didn’t have the time to call for my light cavalry when I clearly saw the charge against my Cathar knights. The poor warriors were submerged by the cavalry, and slain without mercy.
    I ordered Olivier to take the lead of the light cavalry and to counter attack before too much damage occurred to my troops.

When the ranks of my Cathar knights broke, it was like a dam was opened. The rest of the French infantry troops began to climb the slope of the cliff. The first ones were some French axemen.

Mine were ready for the fight. They were my last right wing wall to protect me and my crossbowmen.

I was submerged by the situation and was shouting orders to a lot of my captains. They should hold the position at all costs. They should allow my light cavalry the time to counter attack.

After a while where the situation was very tense, I saw Olivier at the head of the light cavalry group descending the hill and charging the French cavalry.
    The aim was to trap them between my troops and the village.

The French cavalry was surprised and I was relieved to see that they were effectively locked in close fight with Olivier and his men.

I had succeeded to secure the right wing. It wasn’t at all the case for the left wing. My last spearmen were completely overwhelmed by the French heavy infantry. They were only a few to hold the position and I ordered some of my crossbowmen to reinforce them.

I just wanted to gain time. I knew that I sent those crossbowmen to the massacre, without shield and proper sword.
    But it was the rules of war.

Chapter LX : A shadow lost in the darkness

An de Grâce 1209 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Boistrudan.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

The right wing battle was far better than the left.
    The fight was very tough and cruel but my men succeeded to hold the position without too many losses.
    A cloud of dust was wrapping the axe fighters and nobody knew if the blow received were those of a friend or a foe.

That time, the rest of the French cavalry which was fighting against Olivier succeeded to flee and rushed in the village of Boistrudan.
    I feared that my Cathar knights, still fighting against the axemen in the village could be surrounded and destroyed.

Fortunately I was wrong. It seemed that the trap had finally worked effectively and that my knights had completely crushed the French axemen.
    Therefore, I saw a group of them running against the French cavalry, forbidding them any rescue exit.

They were mad knight, charging the cavalry…

It appeared that the streets of the village were too thin to engage a proper fight.
    The cavalry was blocked and efficientless. Olivier took the opportunity to rush in their back.
    The French cavalry was totally trapped in that village of Boistrudan.

The only question for them was to die or surrender.
    Some of them tried to force a way amongst the foot knights but they only found swords to cut their steeds and limbs. It was like in a slaughterhouse.

After some French knights were boned like animals, the other threw their weapons and surrendered.

Happiness…
    I smiled. I was saved. My right wing was secured and it was a matter of time before I can send my troops in reinforcement to the left wing.

I turned my head to see what happened there.
    I wasn’t smiling anymore.

Louis the Merciless was already there.

My left wing wasn’t living anymore. The monster had totally slaughtered them…
    He was already crushing my defenseless crossbowmen.

I felt the scythe of the Death upon my head. Louis had surprised me.
    He was already galloping toward me and my bodyguards when I took the awareness to prepare my troops to the final fight.

Louis’s close cavalry was impressive. The best French nobles and warriors were there. They were the Northern vassals. Their armors were the finest I ever seen, even in Italy…

They were all there for me. For my head…

I shouted :
    - “Camarades,
    We are the rightful lords of the south of France.

We have been despised and scorned for too long by those pathetic northern nobles. They think their culture and their war skills are better than in the south. They believe we are just peasants.
    They think they can destitute the rightful heir of the Kingdom.

In fact, they are the plague of France. They are the worst burden the people had suffered.
    Why do you think they have those shining armors?
    They are bleeding the French people…

They are just lazy counts and dukes. They know better how to eat or sleep than fighting.
    Be sure it will be an easy task to slay them…

Mes amis, we have a rapist to punish tonight.
    Let’s charge with happiness…”

I roared like a lion and charged these bastards nobles at the head of my friends…

My chances were small and I knew it. However, nothing was over…
    I was secretly hoping that Olivier could arrive in time to help me and my knights against the French flower of Chivalry.

In the same time, I was hoping to see Louis and to impale him.
    It was difficult to see and distinguish the royal armor because of my helmet.

I suddenly saw the first knights rushing against me.
    It was the moment I was waiting for years. The final battle!

A knight arrived in front of me, his sword ready to bone me…

Here we are…

The clash was violent and quick. I succeeded to avoid the powerful blow but it was too late to make my own one, I had already crossed the French lines because of my momentum.

I tried to find a target. Men were already screaming and crying.
    I faced a proud Champagne lord. I attacked him but he ducked efficiently my blow with his shield. He struck me with his elbow and tried to pierce my chest with his sword.
    I was just a little too fast for him and I succeeded to protect me with my own shield. I threw him the shield and he received it on the face.
    The poor knight failed to fall and I smashed his helmet with Durandal.
    He fell down and didn’t move anymore.

I had lost my shield and more French knights were surrounding me. It would be a tough fight…
    A first knight sent me a heavy blow that I succeeded to counter with Durandal. I was still fighting with him when a second one tried to decapitate me. I ducked but didn’t succeed to keep Durandal in my hand.

The jewel was lying on the mud. The first knight raised his sword for the final blow.
    I decided to jump in a last movement and I fell on the floor, like my sword.

I lost my breath with the shock.
    I didn’t succeed to get up. The mud was sticking with my armor and it was too heavy.

The time stopped when I saw with horror one of the dangerous French knights ready to crush me under the hooves of his steed.
    Too bad! What a pity to die when I could have helped my Kingdom, my people and the world…

I closed my eyes.
    I felt the heavy war steed ready to hammer me… I heard its blow…

I suddenly felt a terrible pain in my left arm. The first hoof had already destroyed my arm, flesh and bone.
    The pain was too strong… I screamed…

It was the end.
    See you Margit, see you my friends, see you my little Hélène…
    Times were hard but I enjoyed it. I enjoyed living a while with you…

Thank you forever…

It was like the time had stopped. I was still thinking of the memories of my life.
    When would happen the final blow to finish me off?
    Did they make it a pleasure to see me suffering in the mud?

- “Finish me off bloody bastards ! Finish me off please…” .
    I was agonizing.

Nothing happened. Nothing!
    I lay in a red and black sea. Pain was slowly mixing with softness and oblivion. I was already dead…
    I smiled. I nearly felt some pleasure. No more fights, no more cruelty, no more tears and screams… I was a shadow.

A shadow lost in the darkness.

Chapter LXI : I'm not a real man anymore

An de Grâce 1209 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Boistrudan.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

A sudden lightning flashed my eyes.
    Some loud noises began to ring near in my ears. What was it?
    I felt the pain in my arm growing, more and more painful. What happened?

And all of a sudden, I re-connected with the reality. People were running around me. People were crying and fighting all around.
    I felt the blood flooding in my armor. I felt my muscles exhausted. I felt the sharpness of the steel armor. I felt the coldness of the mud, spreading around my chest…

I was alive. Injured but alive.
    I opened my eyes to see the show…

My heavy axemen of the right wing were back to protect me. I turned my head and saw the charge of the remaining French knights. They tried to crush my men but it was useless. The battle was won.
    Useless but beautiful.

My men were surrounding the nobles of the French Kingdom. A sea of axes was submerging them. I saw the proud dukes and barons falling, one after the other…

I was still shocked. I had too many difficulties to go back on Earth.
    My view blurred as I saw a man kneel down near me.
    The darkness was taking again my mind but I succeeded to hear the man crying:

- “Our Lord is alive. Philippe is alive. We have won. Longue vie à Philippe…”

I passed out.

When I woke up, I was lying on a bed, under a royal tent.
    The tent of Louis the Merciless. The royal tent of the French King.

I turned my head and saw Olivier. He was smiling and watching some physicians, busy to cure my arm.
    I glanced at it and saw a horrible stump.

I was mutilated!!!

Fury filled my heart.
    - “Nooooooon, mon Dieu, nooooon…”
    I had lost my left hand. I was still crying when I felt the pain raising. I stopped and grasped for breath. My head was warm. I was sweating like a beast…

I was alive, but at what cost!
    I tried to get up but the doctors and Olivier stopped me. Olivier shouted.
    - “Philippe, my lord, please don’t move. Your wound is severe and the doctors had just cut your arm few hours ago. If you want to keep any chance of life, please don’t move and drink some water.”

He sent me a jug of water and I lapped up it like a dog. I was no more a man. I wept slowly. My eyes found those of Olivier.
    He took my right hand in his own one and whispered to me:

- “Don’t give up Philippe. People of France need your lead. Make it for all of us.
    Don’t give up for your kids. Don’t give up for Margit.”

Those words broke my heart. Olivier was speaking about Margit as my wife. I had stolen her from him and he is still so kind with me. What a friend!
    I gripped his hand and wept again…

- “Thank you Olivier! Thank you so much my dear friend.”

Olivier smiled to me. I was thinking again about my future, even with a hand left. It was the left one after all. I couldn’t abandon my wife and my kids just because of a wound…

I suddenly took conscious about the battle I had fought. I cried:
    - “Olivier. What about the battle? What about Louis? Where is that bastard?
    What happened?”

Olivier waited some times, took a breath and began the story.
    - “I was still fighting some French Knights in Boistrudan when I heard the horns of your bodyguards. I knew that you had begun the fight. I quickly came back to the church and I saw Louis and his knights fighting in the melee, fighting against some of your axemen.
    I didn’t succeed to find you and I was worried about that.

I fought like a Fury and killed some of the proud French knights protecting the King. I saw him and engaged a direct fight with him. He was still experimented and strong. I missed to be slain by his sword.
    However, something went wrong. His bodyguards didn’t protect him well. We were four knights surrounding Louis the Merciless. He killed two of us. I was in close fight with him when the last of my men succeeded to knock him. The King felt down and we exulted…
    Louis the Merciless felt in front of the Church, as a fate harbinger…”

It was like my heart burst in my chest. Louis was captured. What a great new! I was already thinking of the revenge I would make him suffer but I kept my pleasure and let Olivier finish the story.

Olivier continued:
    - “The last bodyguards flew. I ordered the last of my men to follow them in order to capture those cowards.

The battle was still happening and the melee was tough. I thought that the best should be to win the battle better than capturing those few nobles.
    It is why I decided to stop the hunt and to charge the back of the French infantry lines.

It was easy. Like a knife in butter, we crushed some poor crossbowmen before to reach the melee.
    However, it wasn’t enough. The French were really courageous. They held their position and offered us a wall of spear. They surely didn’t know that Louis had been captured.

The trigger came from Boistrudan. The last Cathar dismounted knights decided to climb the cliff in order to attack the back of the French lines.

Despite their difficult position, the knights succeeded to fear the French troops. They fought a little at the top of the cliff. Some remaining French swordsmen tried to stop them but it was already lost.

Then the domino game began to fall. A first French group of soldiers routed, then a second one and a third one, and the rest of the fighting troops flew the battlefield…

Victory was ours…

That time, I didn’t know that you were still alive. I was furious and didn’t make any mercy for the bastards Louis’s troops.
    I followed them till the woods around Boistrudan and showed them the reward to be loyal to Louis the Merciless.

I don’t think a lot of French soldiers could tell that story anymore…”

Olivier laughed.

I wasn’t as pleased as him. It was a victory, a complete one, and Louis was our prisoner…
    But I couldn’t stop watching at my left arm.
    I couldn’t stop…

I had always thought about me like a young man ready for a chivalric life, with princess and great enemies to fight. I had always thought about invincible heroes and champions…

It was over; I was like an old man, mutilated, exhausted and ugly…
    Life is not a dream tale.

What would think Margit? Would she still stay with me?

Ahhh… All those questions.
    My body was suffering the wounds and my mind was suffering the thoughts.

dowdpride's Avatar Decanus

poor phillipe... that is a true bittersweet turn of events

Dowdpride
    I totally agree.
    When I learned what happened to the poor Philippe, it broke my heart too.

Thanks for following.

Chapter LXII : Kind meeting with a destitute

An de Grâce 1209 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Boistrudan.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I raised some loyal troops and I decided to assault Paris and Louis. We fought, I captured him, but lost my left hand during the battle.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

He is in Paris, and after some hard times, it seems that he took back his authority. He engaged the battle against me near Paris, and lost. He is my prisoner from now on...

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

I tried to change my mind asking where Louis was the Merciless.
    Olivier answered that he had been knocked and was still brain dead since yesterday.
    I ordered to see him. I would like to transport me till his cage to see that swine, to spit at his dirty face.

The doctors and Olivier didn’t want at first. But I was the leader and they finally agreed to transport me. I suffered more than ever when I had to move.
    My mind was focused on Louis the Merciless, and I didn’t speak anymore. We arrived in the camp. Soldiers were drinking, eating, and curing their wounds. It was a mess.

When the soldiers watched me, they all stood up and greeted me. I was now in the middle of the carnage. Some horses carcasses, some weapons, some dead knights lying in the floor. It was a mass grave. I saw some legs and arms, inflated and already rotten…

We arrived in the church. Olivier said me that Louis the Merciless had been locked on the top of the tower, just under the bells. I winced. I was exhausted.
    But it was my duty to see that bastard king and slay him.

I was still lying on my back but I gripped Durandal in my right hand, in my last hand. We climbed, stairs by stairs. The pain was increasing. It was like I was going directly to Hell.
    Nobody was speaking and the guards carrying my stretcher were taking care not to hurt me and provoke my anger.

We reached nearly the top of the tower. I was boiling. I ordered to stop for a while. I needed some water. One of my friends brought me a jug and it cooled me. I took a little rest and saw by a window the scene.

My men were gathered near the church, waiting for me to descend and show them the head of Louis.
    But I could clearly see the massacre. The land was covered of dead. There were stacks of corpses where the fights occurred, but there was also a giant snake of scattered dead. It was clear that there were some French, hunted by Olivier at the end of the battle.

Ah, terrible fratricide wars. It was my first one and I didn’t want to see another. So many French killed. Maybe some of my youth friends…
    Before to climb again till the room where was supposed to be Louis, I made the promise to favor from now on the talks and diplomacy with Michel and all the other French nobles who would like to raise against me.

In few minutes, Louis would be a dead man and I would become the new King of France. I was mutilated but I was ready to receive the crown and the sword of Charlemagne.

I asked Olivier to open the door where was Louis…

Olivier opened the door; some guards appeared and let us enter.
    I glanced at the room. It was a little one, supposed to be the place where the bells are stored. It took me less than one second to see Louis. He was tied with strong links against a heavy cupboard, and was still wearing the royal armor.

Apparently, he was no more brain dead. He turned his head toward me when I entered. He was wearing his helmet and his eyeshade was closed.
    Olivier understood my surprise and explained:
    - “My Lord, I ordered nobody to touch him. We and my men took him and locked him up here. He was still unconscious and we didn’t touch him. It is why he is still wearing his royal armor. I thought it was better to show you Louis like when you were fighting against him.”

- “You did well, mon cher Olivier. I prefer to see that bastard in armor. I would have less regrets to see him dead.” I replied.

Louis moved back. He was apparently afraid about what should happen.
    I laughed, despite my pain.

- “Eh bien Louis, what are you afraid about?
    Do you fear to lose Joyeuse?
    Do you fear to lose Charlemagne’s crown?

You don’t have to. I will take care of them, for sure…

Do you fear to be killed by a Sarasin maybe?
    I remember well when I crossed you in Toulouse. You made the promise to cut my throat when you would become the King. Apparently, you didn’t have the bowls to do that…”

I stopped and smiled. It was an evil one.
    That time, the evil was part of my body. I was still conscious but the pain of my mutilated hand was setting ablaze my mind. I was furious. I wasn’t thinking anymore about the French crown, I was waiting for the freshness of the royal blood to cool and calm my fury.

I shouted:
    “Louis, dirty bastard. You don’t deserve to be the son of Philippe. I still don’t understand how you became that monster, with such a kind father…
    Do you remember Hélène, a young maid in Toulouse?
    It was my fiancée and my first love. You raped and killed her…
    Like an animal.

My eyes were full of blood now, and Louis wasn’t moving anymore. I even didn’t hear a word from him.

I took a deep breath and continue my anger speech.
    “You prefer to keep silent now.
    Ah ah!!! Bloody swine, you have no more bowls than during the battle.
    Don’t worry about that, I’m going to cut them before your head, just to make you remember about Hélène. Think about that little maid Louis…

In few minutes, I will become the new king. The King of France! You will never enjoy the peace times I’m going to rule and lead. I’m sorry Louis…

However, you and your bastard knights succeeded to cut my left hand. Be sure I will take all my time to show you the feelings of the pain.
    Eye against eye tooth against tooth.
    It is the old Frankish law. It is time to make it real.

I took Durandal in my right fist.
    Louis was still facing me, still silent.

I was bothered to see him still silent. I would have loved to see him begging me to spare his life.
    I would also see his face. I would like to see how his face changed, after nearly 10 years…

With the tip of Durandal, I slowly lifted the eyeshade of his helmet. I made a sudden movement and succeeded to take off the entire helmet, which fell down, making some metallic sounds…

I saw his face.
    It was the face of a child, with brown hair and pale stain.

I swallowed.
    It was not Louis…

Chapter LXIII : Ripped off

An de Grâce 1209 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Boistrudan.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I raised some loyal troops and I decided to assault Paris and Louis. We fought, I captured him, but lost my left hand during the battle.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

He is in Paris, and after some hard times, it seems that he took back his authority. He engaged the battle against me near Paris, and lost. He is my prisoner from now on...

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

I yelled.
    - “Who are you, son of whore…? Tell me your name before I cut your throat…
    Be quick.”

The young noble took his breath, smiled, clearly provoking me, and said:
    - “I’m the son of the bastard you spent long times to insult. I’m Charles and Louis is my father. If that could please you, I hate him as much as you…”

Charles the Brute. The son of Louis. The son that had been thrown in the dungeon for nearly two years by his father…
    What was he doing there?
    He was supposed to wait behind the Seine, with a reinforcement army, as said me Arnoul.

Once more, I was fuc-ked…
    I lost my hand, and I didn’t know where Louis was. Finally, it seemed I was the looser.
    I was groggy. Lost alone with my pain…
    Charles was still smiling at me, like an evil creature.
    I ordered:
    - “Charles, I’m convinced that you dislike your father, but what the hell are you doing in his armor, and where is that fuc-king bastard? I advise you to send me some clear and pertinent answers if you don’t want to be impaled right away on the top of that church…”

Charles stopped his idiot smile, and appeared suddenly very serious.
    He kept silent, clearly gauging which side to choose. He didn’t know a lot about me and couldn’t have a clear point of view. However, he finally decided to speak:
    - “Well, it is a long story. I‘m ready to tell you the true but I firstly want you to promise sparing my life before.”

- “D’accord”, I replied, “I promise to let you free if your story seems clear and true”.

Charles seemed relieved but I could still feel a light of craftiness in his eyes. I was not naïve and even with my pain, I kept focused and concentrated on his story.
    - “You probably know that I had been thrown into the Paris dungeon 7 years ago. It was because I rebelled against my bastard father. I always thought he was a brute without brain. I knew that Michel was the real leader because the lords of the Kingdom were supporting him, and not my father, even if he was the King.
    So I rebelled. I tried to...”

I stopped him.
    - “Weren’t you just angry having lost the heir title that seemed promised to you? Wasn’t it the true reason?”

Charles was apparently ill at ease. I was convinced he rebelled because of me, because I became the rightful heir.
    Charles tried to convince me that it was not the true, but I knew he was trying to fool me.

- “No my lord, I never thought about you or everyone else, I was just angry against my puppet father. Moreover, he wasn’t considering me well since my youth. He was still considering me as a bastard Russian, because my mother came from there, and because he would have loved to have “true French” boys…

The thing is that after I rebelled, I unfortunately lost my first battle against him and he captured me. I really thought he would execute me but he finally decided to throw me in a dirty and wet dungeon. I spent nearly two years there, hating each month more my father…

He released me and reconciled me, at the end. It was because of Michel will. Paris was in danger and things went bad all around the Kingdom. Moreover, because of you, Louis had been excommunicated and was in a really difficult position.
    I have to say that I was very pleased when I learned you killed the Pope and thanks to that, my father was excommunicated. He deserved that.

I agreed to be reconciled and even to fight with my father. It was the only escape for me. However, I was still resenting that bastard King and each time we had the bad luck to cross each other, I could see the disdain in his eyes. He was adoring his second child much more than me. Surely because he hadn’t rebelled yet…”

Charles laughed for a while, and when he understood we weren’t laughing at all, he stopped and continued his explanations.

- “When we heard the news you were coming from the south of France, Louis gathered a huge army, quite the same than the one he fought those bastard Dutch. He ordered me to command a reinforcement army and to hold the Seine Bridges, in order to forbid you the access to the capital.
    Nevertheless, just before leaving Paris, Louis suddenly ordered me to go with him. He was apparently not convinced about my loyalty. When we arrived near the battlefield, he explained me his plan. He would like me to wear the royal armor, and to fight beside him. I refused but he forced me to do so. I had no choice…

I knew the risks, I knew that you would be ready to slay me during the battle, and it was why Louis decided this plan. The problem for me was that the royal nobles and bodyguards of Louis had been warned to kill me if I tried to escape. I was trapped.

During the battle, I hoped my father to be killed but he remained behind me, till I was knocked out by one of your knights.”

Olivier smiled and dared to say:
    - “It was an easy fight. You should have learned more from your father, and if I can…”

- “Stop” I shouted. “It is not time to argue. It is time to understand what happened, and it isn’t finished yet.”

- “Well”, Charles said, “When I woke up, I was alone and chained up here. The first person I had the honor to speak with was you, and I hope you can feel that I’m not your enemy. I’m the friend of whoever tries something against my puppet father.”

I was still not convinced of his sincerity but I understood quite well the situation that moment. However, I still didn’t know where Louis was.
    - “Charles”, I asked, “What sort of armor was wearing your father during the battle? We have not found him.”

Charles was expecting that question and answered:
    - “He wore a knight armor in a white stallion. If you didn’t find him amongst the dead, the only solution is that he succeeded to flee. I’m as sorry as you about that.”

It seems I had been fooled and fuc-ked again by that bastard king. I suddenly remembered Olivier’s story about the end of the battle. I was stressed to hear the answer.
    - “Olivier, you said me that you hunted a group of knight, at the end of the battle, didn’t you?”

Olivier turned his head and announced:
    - “Oui mon seigneur, as I said you few hours ago, when I knocked out the “King”, the last bodyguards flew and I ordered my men to follow them in order to capture those cowards.

The battle was still happening and the melee was tough. I thought that the best should be to win the battle better than capturing those few nobles.
    It is why I decided to stop the hunt and to charge the back of the French infantry lines.

Now that I heard the story of Charles, I remember that the group of knights was behaving as they protected one man amongst them. They were not fleeing like rabbits but I didn’t notice it in the fury of the battle.

Je suis désolé Philippe.”

I was fuc-ked…
    That bastard king succeeded to escape the battlefield thanks to his craftiness. I knew for many years that Louis wasn’t a chivalric knight, but I couldn’t have expected that he was without any honor…

I was angry against myself, angry against Olivier, angry against the world…
    I ordered Charles to be kept imprisoned on the top of the church, and my men to descend me in my private tent. I needed to think alone. I needed to accept that defeat and to elaborate a new plan.
    I was feverish.