Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

Default Re: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

Italian Campaign (Part III)
    Chapter XXIX : Retreat !

An de Grâce 1204 AC.
    Papal States.
    Rome.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Philippe Capet, adoptive son of the French King. However, my real name is Muhammad Sahadeddine. I’ve been adopted because of an amazing coincidence. I hope to become soon a hero of Chivalry, and help the poor and the orphans.
    I know, I’ve read a lot of hero stories, but I’m a dreamer…
    I’m 24 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.
    I’ve killed the Pope myself, and destroyed the entire Papal States.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

It is my elder “brother”, and the King of France.
    He is a very skilled and fearful warrior. He can be qualified as a “butcher”.
    He is my worst enemy since he raped and killed my first love Hélène.
    He is now back in Paris, but meet some difficulties with rebel nobles. His authority is extremely low.

Michel.
    "Brother"

It is my second “brother”. He is one year and a half more than me.
    We were very good friends during our childhood, but it seems that these happy times are over.
    Michel is the new unofficial leader of the Kingdom, because he had managed to use the lords as a tool to take the command of the Kingdom, against Louis. I’m the heir just because of his will.
    He is working in the shadows and is potentially more dangerous than Louis himself.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

It is the only child and son of the king Louis the Merciless.
    He was supposed to be the rightful heir but because of Michel plans, I’ve stolen him the title. He should be very angry…
    Maybe because of that, he decided to be a rebel in order to steal his father’s crown, and had finally been thrown by Louis in the Paris dungeon.

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I’m now considered as a real noble and I’m a little more protected against the anger of Louis.
    She is definitely ugly and I absolutely don’t want to sleep with her.
    The problem is that she deeply love me.
    I’ve abandoned her in Zaragoza to meet my fate in Rome.

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Charles was the governor of Toulouse citadel and is now the new governor of Zaragoza.
    Charles is my only real “friend”. He likes me and I think I can trust him.
    He is not a warrior, but he is a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.
    He has saved me from Louis’s sword.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who just taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I’m the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He is sending me Michel orders.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He is one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    Moreover, he seems very clever and he helped me to convince the army that the Pope Alexander was an enemy.
    He is from now on my “compagnon d’armes”.

Philippe Auguste the Chivalrous.
    DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

He was my adoptive father, but also the French King.
    He loved the Chivalric Code, and enjoyed good tournaments. He was a wise ruler and French people liked him a lot.
    He died in battle, against Flanders, trying to defend Paris.

It was time to implement the plans I’ve thought for months now. I knew that it wasn’t possible to maintain the order in Rome. Therefore, I decided to found an advantage of the lost of the town. I secretly used my new spy network to loot everything we could in the city, and keep the amount of gold secured.
    I didn’t tell that to my generals and soldiers because it was a shadow work, and I wouldn’t damage my reputation anymore. We succeeded to find a lot of old jewelry, Romans inheritance, and even expensive draperies.
    It wasn’t difficult to find some grasping Italians merchant to sell that stuff. Thanks to those resources, I could prepare my come back to the Kingdom.

I also discussed for a long time with Carlos, a Spanish diplomat which came to Rome after we took it, the year before. I proposed to offer the town to the Kingdom of Spain, because of our strong alliance, and to honor my wife Clara, the daughter of the King Vermundo the honorable.
    He was totally aware of the fact that this town was a pain in our ass, but he also knew that if he refused, the town could become the possession of the Royaume de Sicile, or even the one of the Lombard and Venetian. It was an excellent opportunity for the Kingdom of Spain and he agreed. I managed to make the Spanish paying a good amount of gold for that. I managed to make them believe it would be the pay for my army.
    Instead, it was just more money for my personal views. I needed the strength of money to achieve my protection and to build the start of a new come back.

Thanks to that, our relations improved.
    My plans were to try to take possession of the French cities I conquered in the North of the Iberian Peninsula, and if I failed, to ask the protection of the Spanish King. Therefore, good relations were crucial. I needed a powerful ally, in the case Louis Sans Merci and Michel would take the opportunity to sacrifice me to the new Pope. I was pretty sure they would be both pleased to get rid of me and to take again the favors of the Papacy.

I asked Carlos to send Carla some love letters written by the best of my troubadours. My beast wife was also a mean to secure my new instable position. The more allies I could gather, the less I would be hunt in the Christendom. I hoped that Clara would forgive me our last “Au revoir” and I started to regret my proud behavior of those times.

Then, it was time to organize the disbandment of my army. For the last time, I greeted my old veteran soldiers. I wished them to find peace and calm in their villages, houses and families. I said they could be proud of the battle they had done, and that they helped the Kingdom of France to be saved from a devil, wearing Papal clothes.
    It was a poignancy separation.

Definitely, I would surely miss the strength of those experienced and loyal soldiers. But they were no other possibility than letting them to recover their freedom, and letting them away from more fights, swords and screams.

They acclaimed me a last time, and the long column started to come back. They were supposed to pass through the Alps, by foot, and to join their homes. I wished them a good travel.
    I stayed with my personal bodyguards and the most loyal soldiers who asked me to stay beside me. Olivier and Margit were amongst them.

Rome wasn’t safe anymore for me, and I left the town, letting the keys to a little unit of Spanish fighters, who joined Italy by boat the week before. I saw the pride in the Spanish general eyes to be the new governor of the most famous city of the world.
    I smiled secretly; knowing the problems the population would surely impose him. I just hoped him not to be slain before the arrival of the bulk of Spanish strengths.

We disappeared in the countryside, riding toward the Mediterranean Sea. I missed France. But I also feared a lot what I could find there. I was without news since more than one year.

Everything could have happened…

Default Re: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

2nd Iberian Campaign (Part I)
    Chapter XXX : Motherland, at last !

An de Grâce 1204 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Iberian East Coast.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Philippe Capet, adoptive son of the French King. However, my real name is Muhammad Sahadeddine. I’ve been adopted because of an amazing coincidence. I hope to become soon a hero of Chivalry, and help the poor and the orphans.
    I’m 24 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.
    I’m back in France at last, after nearly two years away.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

He is now back in Paris, but meet some difficulties with rebel nobles. His authority is extremely low.

Michel.
    "Brother"

We were very good friends during our childhood, but it seems that these happy times are over.
    Michel is the new unofficial leader of the Kingdom, because he had managed to use the lords as a tool to take the command of the Kingdom, against Louis. I’m the heir just because of his will.
    He is working in the shadows and is potentially more dangerous than Louis himself.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

He was supposed to be the rightful heir but because of Michel plans, I’ve stolen him the title. He should be very angry…
    Maybe because of that, he decided to be a rebel in order to steal his father’s crown, and had finally been thrown by Louis in the Paris dungeon.

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I’m now considered as a real noble and I’m a little more protected against the anger of Louis.

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Charles was the governor of Toulouse citadel and is now the new governor of Zaragoza.
    He is not a warrior, but he is a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.
    He had saved me from Louis’s sword.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who just taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I’m the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He is sending me Michel orders.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He is one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    Moreover, he seems very clever and he helped me to convince the army that the Pope Alexander was an enemy.

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

He loved the Chivalric Code, and enjoyed good tournaments. He was a wise ruler and French people liked him a lot.

We were on the road to the coast when one of my personal spies joined us to inform me about two crucial news.

The first one was that a new Pope had been elected. It was a Danish one.

- “What a good news! “ I thought.
    The thing was that the Danes were not a threat for the French Kingdom, and more importantly, they were Spanish allies. It means that the new Pope couldn’t try to ask for Rome anymore. I was delighted about that.

The second news was even better. The admiral Aubert with the rest of the fleet which had helped us to reach Italy was back in a Papal State harbor. He had managed to escape the battle, and to hide the fleet around Sicily and Sardinia for a while. He was back now and it was amazing news.
    I wouldn’t have to hire a new fleet, as I expected. We could come back soon.

The little troop around me was also delighted with that good news.
    I felt fortunate for the first time since months.

- “Let’s go to the coast my friends” I smiled, raising Durandal upon my head.
    They all laughed and we started again our gallop.

We met the admiral Aubert the following day. He was pleased to meet me again. He didn’t know anything about what happened in Italy. He was stunned about the amazing news. However, he still remained loyal with me, despite his strong faith. He told us his story. He had been chased during months by the Egyptian fleet. He didn’t know why they attacked us. Maybe they were some dark alliances which had been made.
    However, he succeeded to avoid them and to come back, after months taken to repair the damaged boats.

We decided to sail without waiting. I asked him to join the harbor of Narbonne, where we had started our epic Pope adventure, half and a year ago.
    The travel went well. We didn’t see any war fleets and there were just two great storms which feared us. Admiral Aubert was an experienced sailor and he managed to keep the fleet gathered, and safe.

It took us two months to reach Narbonne. I spent my days talking with my friends and general, asking them what could be the feeling of French people about what we had done in Rome.
    I also spent a lot of time with Margit. I claimed that I would like to learn how to speak English, but secretly, it was in order to spend some time with her. She seemed to like me a lot and each moment with her was a great source of internal pleasure. I dreamed of her several nights. What a shame that she was married with my best friend, Olivier!
    I felt guilty spending so much time with her. And she also seemed to be embarrassed. I imagined that Olivier should have begun to be a bit suspicious.
    Nevertheless, he behaved like nothing had changed.

I was also studying the poetry with some of my troubadours. It was like a fight with my own mind when I tried to write my first “sonnets”. I had to choose the appropriated words, mix them with sophisticated expressions, and respect the rhythm and length.
    I wasn’t used with that. Apart for my youth when I learned some scientific studies, I grew in the field and there were no many words to know in order to lead a battle. But I liked this fight of the brain. It was less painful than real wounds. I was still suffering about the last one I received in my back, against the swine English Pope.
    I could walk and ride but I had real difficulties to restart the training. I was obliged to see my bodyguards, incapable of joining them.
    And I was only 24 years old. Life was tough, even for the French heir.

Finally, we reached the land of France. I preferred to disembark in the Iberian Peninsula better than in Narbonne, in order to reach quickly Zaragoza, and avoid as much as possible bad meetings.
    I remember the tears of some of my friends, kissing the sand of the beach. They were delighted to come back in their motherland. Only Margit was emotionless. It was her first step in France. She knew the language but it was all. It was an adventure for her.
    After disembarking the supplies and horses, we left Aubert. He should join the harbor of Narbonne.

I knew that there was a little city and a castle, some miles far from the beach. We reached the city before twilight. The local lord recognized me. He behaved strangely but he finally offered me and my little troop hospitality.
    I asked him what had happened during my absence. He said that everything was fine, that the Moors were quiet and the trade went well. However, I noticed that he was ill at ease, even if he tried to hide that.

I was convinced the things were not as well as he would like me to believe. He said that he could resupply us and send me a doctor, in order to cure quickly my back wound. I hesitated.
    I knew that the best should be to join Zaragoza.
    However, I thought that it could be nice to send some spies in Zaragoza, before to reach the city, in order to be sure that the way is safe, and to know better what happened.

One man warned worth two…

Chapter XXXI : Love story...

An de Grâce 1204 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Iberian East Coast.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

I finally decided to stay 3 days in our host castle. Olivier, Margit and my bodyguards remained with me.
    The first evening, we all ate together, with the local noble. What a satisfaction to eat good meals, after one year and a half in campaign.
    During this dinner, Margit, who was seated in front of me, behaved strangely. When I was looking at her, she was suddenly looking down. She seemed to be very embarrassed. Olivier, just beside her, was still joking and drinking with the other guests.
    She suddenly stood up and went out. Nobody seemed having noticed that. After few times, I decided to know what happened.

I went to the kitchens. She was not there. I went to the toilets. No-one.
    I finally decided to enter the apartments she shared with Olivier.
    And she was there, lying on the bed.

Margit was sobbing.

I whispered:
    - “Margit, what happens? What is wrong?”

She jolted, surprised. She turned her head and fixed me. She was beautiful. Tears were mixed with the deep blue of her eyes.
    - “Nothing my lord” she succeeded to reply. “I’m just a little sad.”

I knelt down, beside her.
    - “Why are you sad Margit? It is the first time I see you as upset. I feel guilty to see such a nice lady in such a state.”

She glanced at me. She took a breath, sobbing again.
    - “I miss my country Philippe, and things are going so bad since we arrived here.”

I was puzzled.
    - “What is going bad? You seem to go well, Olivier beside you. Sometimes, I’m even jealous of your happiness.”

She was closed to me now. She stopped weeping. She whispered:
    - “It’s not going so well with Olivier. Sometimes, I feel that we can’t understand each other. It began when he refused to go with me in Hungary. Then it is worst each day…”

I stopped her.
    - “Margit…”, I pronounced, my heart beating against my chest.
    “I’ve always liked you. Tonight, it seems different. When I look at your eyes, it’s like I’ve lost…”

She suddenly kissed me. Deeply…
    I felt her tears against my cheeks. I was in paradise.

I was touching her hair, smelling her perfume. That moment, I forgot each plot, each battle which were worrying me since months.

We stopped and fixed each other. I could see a light of joy in her eyes.
    I approached my mouth near her ear, and whispered.
    - “Margit, since the first instant I’ve seen you, I was in love. Je t’aime de tout mon Coeur Margit.”

She smiled and replied:
    - “Je t’aime Philippe.”

We joined after a little while the rest of the people at the dinner. They had started to be drunk, even my bodyguards. Nobody seemed having noticed anything.

When I went to my bed this night, I felt like I had reached the top of the happiness.

The following day, I ordered Olivier and some of my bodyguards to go in the city and ask discretely the inhabitants about what happened in the Kingdom, and about their feelings.
    I then joined secretly Margit in my bedroom and we made love several times.
    It was the first time of my life.

She seemed to go better now. She explained me that she loved my courage and also my interest about sciences and literature. It made me laugh!
    She was an instructed woman and we had some complex and developed talks together, during the few days we remained in that little town.

I explained her that I wish she could be my wife, but the problem was Clara, the daughter of the Spanish King. She understood and said she would like to remain beside me, being my secret love.
    I agreed. I was totally in love. I knew the risks, but the game worth it…

I was still waiting the news of the few spies I had sent to the countryside, when the local lord asked me to join him in his quarters. I ordered some of my bodyguards to come with me. I was extremely suspicious these days.
    And I was right, because when I entered, I clearly saw a black cape I knew so well.

Norbert!!

Chapter XXXII : Fugitive...

An de Grâce 1204 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Iberian East Coast.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

She is my deep love. Nobody knows that, even my close friends.
    She is beautiful and clever. She is a Hungarian princess.
    The big problem is that she is supposed to be the wife of Olivier, my best general and friend. There are so many difficult choices in life. I foresee dark future with Olivier or Margit...

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

The last time I had seen Norbert, it was before sailing to Italy, and I’ve lain to him. The talk should be tough. And my problem was that I didn’t know anything about what happened.

Norbert turned back as soon as I entered the room. He seemed older and more tired than ever. However, a new light of strength and cruelty was sparkling in his eyes.

- “Well well well”, he shouted. “Philippe, the heir of the Kingdom, is back! What a nice new isn’t it? “
    He was laughing with irony.

I didn’t reply. I just stood up with my bodyguards beside me, waiting to know why he was there.

- “My dear Philippe”, Norbert continued, “What a long time since we have met for the last time. You have a made a crucial mistake when you stopped listening me and Michel by the way. I won’t surprise you by saying that you are the main target amongst the Kingdom.

I suddenly replied.
    - “Things are done now Norbert. Why are you here? What do you need?
    If you had came just to say me that, just go away. I don’t want to waste my time arguing.”
    I was deliberately trying to know what had happened in the Kingdom.

Norbert stared at me, a little surprised by my stark answer.
    However, he announced:
    - “Well. Everybody in France knows what you have done. Everybody knows your crime. Michel wasn’t pleased at all about what happened.
    Have you suddenly become totally mad?
    I think you remember that the France situation was not very good. It is why I called you to come to Paris in order to help the Kingdom to get rid of the rebels who tried to take the crown.
    The thing is that Louis is still the King.
    He is still our king but because of you, because of the official heir, he is now excommunicated.

You have done a fuc-king job in Rome. You bastard!”

I took Durandal out of its scabbard.
    - “I’m ready to fight with you if it is your goal Norbert. Just don’t play with my nerves!”
    I shouted.

He seemed a little afraid of my reaction, but kept his calm and declared:
    - “Ok Philippe. I’m here for more important things than arguing. Just let me finish.
    Michel and Louis were struggling to maintain the peace in the North of the Kingdom when you left. Now, the situation is even worst.
    Because of the excommunication, the rebel nobles have seized the opportunity to make a fool of the Royal Authority, and peasants have also revolted.
    The Papacy thinks it was Louis himself who had decided to launch the attack. Our neighbors Kingdom are in the way to launch a generalized attack on our Kingdom in the future months. It is why I’m here.

“Ah ah!” I secretly thought. “That is the matter. Michel is not as powerful to threaten me directly. Maybe he will even request my help.”

Norbert kept the conversation.
    - “ The Kingdom is in Total Revolution now. The King and Michel have just succeeded to maintain order in the main cities of the North, but the countryside is a land of terror since a year.

And you are the main responsible Philippe. You can expect to have some French blood in your hands.
    However, there is a solution for you to stay alive and even to be forgiven. Michel decided personally to give you this chance, because he remembered about your old childhood friendship.”

I smiled. I was sure Norbert was trying to fool me. I was not credulous. It was obvious that the Royal family was facing difficult times and they couldn’t afford to make me another new threat for them.
    However, I said nothing, waiting to learn more.

- “The solution we offer to you is to come back in Paris with me, and ask Michel and Louis to forgive you. Then, you could help us to solve the current rebel threat. We need troops and a good leader for them.”

I stopped him.
    - “Are you kidding Norbert? Everybody knows that Louis, the king, is one of the best military strategist of the Kingdom. And I really don’t think I could obtain any forgiveness from Louis, he hates me too much for that.”

He replied quickly:
    - “Louis can’t go out of Paris. He is still facing the noble’s rebellion and the Royal Court is infested of spies, plots and assassins. If he is leaving the Court, everything could happen and any bastard could claim to be the new king.
    The strategy of Michel and Louis is to hold the capital, and then to expand their power to the countryside. If we lose Paris, we lose the Kingdom.

Just for instance, last winter, Louis placed an army just outside Paris in order to maintain order in the wheat fields and then to secure the supplies of the capital. Within a month, the army rebelled and even decided to siege Paris. Our own troops and soldiers can be bribed by everybody now. The crisis is deep.

Fortunately, Michel had come in Paris and helped to maintain order in the Capital with Louis. Louis had also accepted to release his son, Charles, from the dungeon.

Michel forced him to do so, because the royal family doesn’t need any more internal conflicts. There are sufficient problems to be solved before. So Charles had been reconciled by his father. However, this rebellious son can’t be trust, because he still has anger against Louis to have imprisoned him.

But he fought well. Indeed, Louis and Michel decided to slaughter the rebels with the little militia which remained in Paris that winter.

It was extremely dangerous, but there were no other solution. No army could help and it was dangerous to let some nobles be leading any troops because so many rebelled.
    Therefore, the three right members of the Royal family fought shoulder against shoulder in that battle.

And I really think it is why they reconciled each other. Now, Louis and Michel are really good friends. The hard times had bonded them. However, they are in a state of equality now. “

I suddenly had a lump in my throat. If Michel and Louis were allies now, I was in a quite embarrassing position. Michel was my previous protection against the bloody king. Now, I seemed defenseless, once more.

Norbert continued his long story.
    - “The battle was a brilliant one. The heavy French cavalry made some amazing charges and the foes were submerged by the strength of these elite warriors. The rebels were outnumbering four times the amount of loyal soldiers, but they had no chance to win.

You know. Even Louis will be keen to forgive you if you could support them and help France, help the country.

I think you have no real choice. “

I was offended.
    - “Why couldn’t have a choice? I’m not a kid, or a puppet anymore. I begin to be tired of your orders Norbert. My heart is to help the French Kingdom and the people. I can’t rely on Louis. I remember well my youth when he would like to slay me. He had warned me of that in Toulouse.

Norbert glared at me.
    - “Are you sure Philippe? Don’t you want to take the last opportunity to stay alive here? Don’t you want to take the opportunity to remain the heir of the Kingdom?”

It was a crucial moment. I knew that the decision I will take will have far reaching consequences for me, for the Royal family and even the kingdom. I thought that Michel tried to fool me.
    How could Louis, my worst enemy, forgive me?
    How could Charles, his uneducated and stubborn son, be my friend?
    I was sure he saw me as the robber of the heir title. He didn’t fear his dreadful father, so he won’t surely hesitate to plot against me.

Moreover, it seems clear that Michel would like to use me once more. Maybe he was trying to trap me, and offer me in sacrifice to the Pope, in order to stop the excommunication, and to calm the rebels.

My only chance was to reach the Spanish Kingdom, to meet my wife Clara and to use their protection.

I took a deep breath and proclaimed:
    - “No Norbert. I can’t trust you. I won’t go to Paris. I prefer to wait and see. But be assured that I will take care of my safety. Just don’t try anything against me, because you could be the first looser.”

- “Charles de Bouillon said the same”, smiled Norbert, with a dreadful light, filling his dark eyes.

I suddenly fixed him, and he saw that I was surprised. He took his time before speaking again.
    - “Charles de Bouillon tried to defend you, the last time I saw him in Zaragoza. I warned him and he didn’t take it seriously. He should have.”

I shouted my voice full of anger.
    - “What have you done, son of whores? “

Norbert took gently his hand on his sword. He smiled.

- “You have killed him, bastard?”
    My bodyguards were keeping me close to them, because some of the Lord soldiers had approached and were on their guards.

Norbert nodded and whispered:
    - “Take care now, Philippe. You are not worth to be French. Philippe should have been very insane to adopt such a bastard. However, I let you the night to think about that deal. It is your last chance not to be the main target of each spy and assassin of the Kingdom.
    Think about it Philippe.”

I was definitely upset, and I would have killed Norbert if my loyal bodyguards had not prevented me from doing that. They had been right because with the lord guards, it could have involved a real butchery.

Now, I knew that my time was counted, and I really needed to reach the Spanish protection. I joined Olivier, Margit and the others in our quarters, and explained them that the situation in the Kingdom was worst than never before.
    I ordered them to be ready to leave the city at tomorrow dawn. My plan was to flee in the countryside, and then to find a way in order to find Clara.

Indeed, one of my spies who had been to Zaragoza had just explained me that Clara was not anymore there .She was said to be in Toledo. I took the decision to go there.
    I knew that I could be ambushed during the way, or even captured by Spanish Strengths. I also knew that it could be difficult to persuade Clara to believe me and have confidence in me.

The only thing which helped me to take this decision was a secret letter from the King of Spain I received when I left Rome. It was written that he was proud of the husband of his daughter Clara, that he thanked me of the Rome deal, and that he was expecting my union with Clara to be fruitful.
    Fruitful! I shuddered thinking about that.

However, it was my only hope. To reach Toledo…

Chapter XXXIII : Bloody shame on me !

An de Grâce 1204 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Iberian Countryside.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m back in France at last, after nearly two years away, and I'm from now on no more than a fugitive...

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Maybe because of that, he decided to be a rebel in order to steal his father’s crown, and had been thrown by Louis in the Paris dungeon. He has been reconciled and is one more trap in my road.

Clara.
    "Wife"

I’ve abandoned her in Zaragoza to meet my fate in Rome. She is said to live in Toledo now.

Margit.
    "Secret love"

The big problem is that she is supposed to be the wife of Olivier, my best general and friend. There are so many difficult choices in life. I foresee dark future with Olivier or Margit...

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He was sending me Michel orders.
    He killed my dear friend Charles de Bouillon.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He is my “compagnon d’armes”.

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Charles was the governor of Toulouse citadel and then the governor of Zaragoza.
    Charles was my only real “friend”. He liked me and I could trust him.
    He was not a warrior, but he was a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.
    He had finally been killed by that bastard Norbert when I was away in Italy...

The following morning, we left the city.
    Everything was going well. We were around 20, no more. We were the survivors and the future didn’t seem blue at that moment.

Around midday, we were riding on the main road toward the South. We crossed a little wood and it was clearly good news.
    The air was so warm that the shadow of the oaks was the better thing which could happen. I remember that I was joking with Margit when we suddenly heard a strange rustle just behind a close bush.
    Everybody stopped riding, and we were watching at each other, trying to know if anybody else knew what it was, when one of my bodyguards was shot down by a crossbow arrow. I ordered everybody to dismount and prepare for the defense.
    In less than 30 seconds, 4 of my friends were lying on the floor, dead or severely injured.
    We were trapped… And we didn’t know who it was.

We organized the defense and were trying to protect the horses from the arrows, when we heard a roar and nearly 30 knights and spearmen rushed around.
    I tried to protect Margit behind us. We were not wearing armors and our shield was our unique protection. We faced the foes and charged with our swords.

The battle was tough. I tried to know if the enemies were French or Spanish but they were not wearing any distinctive symbols. The foes were surrounding us but we quickly took the advantage upon them, because we were veteran warriors.

It was clear that they were not some brigands but rather some mercenaries paid for a bloody job.

I was searching for their leader. I saw a great knight without helmet behind the struggle. I made my way to reach him and try to capture him. When he saw me, he ran back, withdrawing. I surged after him, letting my friends behind me with the rest of the enemies. The foes leader suddenly stopped and faced me. He was blond haired, and he was smiling.

I was smiling too. I raised my bloody sword to start the duel when I understood. Four men appeared behind me. This bastard had trapped me. I was alone.
    There was no exit. My life depended on my courage now.

I decided to fight the leader. If I had time, I could slay him before his coward men could help him. Then it should be easier to defeat them. Durandal clinked against his sword. I tried to fool his guard but he was experienced and succeeded to counter me.
    I had no more time. I rushed back and leant against a tree to protect my back. I was waiting for them.
    The leader ordered his soldiers to stop:
    - “Will you surrender? Are should we show you the way of death?”

I shouted:
    - “Dirty swine! I will never surrender. You should better flee before my men come and cut your piggy head.”

He didn’t answer, but he and his men started to approach me, their sword ready for the butchery. I succeeded to avoid the first blow. I pushed Durandal in the ribs of the second one. I was still fixing him when he fell on the floor. The third soldier was just behind. I turned my head to see where the leader was.
    He was just beside me, and I had the time to see his smile, again, when a massive mace hurt the back of my head.
    I fell in the darkness…

I felt the warm ray of the sun on my face. I woke up. I was laying in the meadow, my head bloody. The enemies’ chief was just beside me, his throat cut. I could clearly see the bones of his spinal column. I missed to vomit of disgust.
    I painfully sat and saw the corpses of the other soldiers.
    Olivier was in front of me, his shirt bloody red. He was binding a wound on his left arm.
    I asked:
    - “Olivier? What happened my friend? Who is alive?”

He approached me and whispered.
    - “Philippe, we have won this ambush. We were ending the fight when I saw that you weren’t there anymore. I rushed in the wood and I reached the meadow. You were there, lying on the floor.
    The chief of these bastards was preparing his sword to cut your head when I reached them. Fortunately, I succeeded to kill them all. They fought well. At the end, I found you alive and I was pleased about that. Your head wound is a minor one. You have not to fear about that.

It is not all Philippe. I’ve found in the pockets of the leader this paper.

I thanked Olivier for saving my life. I was still shuddered. Life is so dangerous. I was really lucky to have some loyal friends. It could not last. I knew it.

I took the paper in my hand. It was a little note.
    “Christopher,
    I can’t meet you just now but I need your services.
    A little troop of French men with Philippe the bastard leading them should take soon the way of the south. For France’s sake, I order you to ambush them and to kill Philippe. This bastard starts to be too dangerous for our Kingdom. You know well that our King wants his death. We can’t be ruled by a Sarasin.
    They won’t be more than 20 desperate fools to be killed.
    Bring me the dirty head of Philippe the bastard and you will receive the money you deserve.
    You could find me in Zaragoza.

I recognized the handwriting of Norbert. Evil bastard Norbert!
    The war was on now.
    I was right not to trust him and go to Paris. Louis still wanted my head. I should not lose any time.

I fixed Olivier. He had finished binding his wound. I asked him if the other were ready to ride again. I asked him if Margit was well.
    He glazed at me and I saw a shadow in his eyes. He took a deep breath, watching the sky.
    - “Philippe. I know what happen between you and Margit. I thought she loved me but I was wrong.
    I’m just so disappointed that you didn’t tell anything to me.
    I thought I could be confident on you but once again, I was wrong.
    It is why I decided to go back to my home, in France, and try to forget that stuff. It has been an honor to fight beside you Philippe. I hope you could succeed protecting your life and helping again the Kingdom.
    Just take care of your men. Sometimes, they worth it.”

Olivier walked back and disappeared.
    I was dishonored. I had fooled my only true friend and he saved my life.
    I felt the heavy weight of this loss. The loss of a friendship. The loss of a fighting partner. The loss of my dignity.

I cried. I promised me to put all my strengths to get his pardon. I couldn’t afford to lose such a friend like that.

I walked back to the road. My head was down and my eyes sad.
    I saw Margit with the rest of my friends. They were no more than nine survivors. They seemed quite happy having escaped the ambush.
    I kissed Margit. I explained her what happened. She was really sad thinking about Olivier because he was a good man and she felt guilty that because of her, he left. I tried to assure her that I will do whatever I can to make him return with us.

I ordered to bury our friends and to let the corpses of the foes in the road, for dogs and vultures.
    Then we left and we decided to ride far away from the usual roads, in order to avoid being trapped. We were an easy prey from now on…

2nd Iberian Campaign (Part II)
    Chapter XXXIV : Spanish rest...

An de Grâce 1205 AC.
    Royaume de Castille et Leon.
    Toledo.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m back in France at last, after nearly two years away, and I'm from now on no more than a fugitive... I've just crossed the border of the Spanish Kingdom.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Maybe because of that, he decided to be a rebel in order to steal his father’s crown, and had been thrown by Louis in the Paris dungeon. He has been reconciled and is one more trap in my road.

Clara.
    "Wife"

I’ve abandoned her in Zaragoza to meet my fate in Rome. She is said to live in Toledo now.

Margit.
    "Secret love"

The big problem is that she was supposed to be the wife of Olivier, my old best general and friend. There are so many difficult choices in life.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He was sending me Michel orders.
    He killed my dear friend Charles de Bouillon and try to slay me.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He was one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    He was my “compagnon d’armes” but when he learned that I was the secret lover of his betroth Margit, he decided to leave me, just after saving my life.
    I am ashamed having lost his friendship.

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

He was not a warrior, but he was a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.

It took us four weeks of restless wandering to reach Toledo. We were exhausted and we were out of supplies. My wounds were still painful. The one on my back I received in Italy against the English Pope had been opened during the ambush and my friends were worried about a possible infection. I was in a really bad shape.
    I asked to be received by the King of Spain. I knew that Clara was there.
    My destiny was waiting for me in the Toledo Citadel. It could be a quick and painful fate, or maybe a new start if I was sufficiently lucky.

When I entered the reception hall, I tried to walk with dignity. I had put my twinkling armor, despite my wounds, in order make me as impressive as I could.
    I saw the king Vermundo the Honorable on the throne. His crown was sparkling. Just beside him was Clara.
    When I saw her, I felt a little disgust in my throat. She was as ugly as before. And she was unfortunately my last hope. I should make the best impression.

I went toward to meet the King and ask for his protection. He agreed with a crafty smile. He was apparently aware of the opposite powers which were fighting in the heart of the French Kingdom. And he surely saw in me a way to take advantage of the complex situation.
    I ask to meet my wife and to enjoy with her our reunion. To say that was most painful than a billion of wounds but it was the only way.
    I noticed that Clara smiled when I said that. Maybe she was not angry anymore against me. What a luck!!!

I was swearing. But I was relieved. The Kingdom of Spain was my shield against Louis and France from now on…

I won’t tell the awful nights I spent with Clara this winter. I managed to do that because Margit stayed with me. I was still her secret lover and we shared wonderful times together. Without her, I couldn’t have beard to stay a single minute in the bed of Clara. I spent the winter learning Spanish and recovering from my wounds. I restarted training and I increased my spies’ network.
    Thanks to that, I learned that Zaragoza, Narbonne and Pamplona were still loyal to Louis, despite the revolution in France. However, the loyal leaders were not many and I knew that the people of these towns reminded me and the good management of my dead friend Charles de Bouillon. It should not be too difficult to reverse the trend in my favor.
    I just needed some time and some troops.
    Could the Spanish provide me some help and it was clear that my success was at my hand range.

I discussed about that with Vermundo and he seemed to like fueling the discord amongst French family trends because he allowed me to use a little Spanish troop.
    It was clear that the will of the Spanish King was to use me like a puppet to weaken the French strengths, and even to increase his authority to the South of France. I knew that and I would like to use his confidence for my own.
    I would just like him to let me reach my goals. Then, I could find the time to avoid and annihilate his secret plans.

During this winter, I also noticed that the belly of my “beloved” Clara was growing. What a good new. With a son or daughter from Clara, I could now pretend to be a real figure in the Christendom alliance’s game.
    What a weapon! The kingdom of Spain was powerful and having a child who is linked by his blood with the royal Spanish line could be quite a wonderful shield.
    I secretly hoped that it could be a boy…

Spring arrived slowly. Vermundo offered me the lead of some axemen, spearmen and also a unit of sergeant swordsmen. They were inexperienced troops but it was enough for me to reach Zaragoza and to claim for my rights over the French cities.

I was determined to use the confidence of the people of Zaragoza to raise an important army and then to force Louis and Michel to accept my authority and to stop the hunt they had started against me.

Sometimes, I tried to ask Vermundo what he knew about the French situation but he avoided to answer directly and changed the conversation.
    Clara was like glue stuck beside me. I hoped that I could go back fighting again. I was still spending a lot of time with Margit. We were Spanish fluent now.

In August, it was the time to leave Toledo and try to reach and rule Zaragoza. I said my last “au revoir” to Clara. She was not angry anymore. She was totally fond of the baby in her belly and was even forgetting that I was her husband. I was quite pleased about that.
    Margit was going with me to Zaragoza. I knew that it was a risk but I preferred to see her beside me, under my protection, than in the Spanish court, in the middle of plots and spies.
    I thought it was better trusting just me.

We reached the French area in the middle of the month. The heat was oppressive but my men were Spanish ones so they were used with that better than me and Margit.
    I enjoyed being back in the area I ruled some years ago. I recognized the landscape when we approached the town.

We were 3 days of walking from Zaragoza when my scouts reported me that the French soldiers of the town were heading against us. They had noticed our approach and they seemed to be quite aggressive.
    Their lord was loyal to the king Louis and he would surely like to put my head on the top of a spear. He was named Arnolf de Montaigu. I had never heard about him. Maybe he was another upstart, I thought.
    My scouts described his troops. He was leading quite the same amount of warriors than me.
    The great problem was that Arnolf leaded a great strength of mounted knights. I had just my bodyguards to oppose to him. The rest of his troops were spearmen and crossbowmen, as usual in French armies.

Time for battle had arrived. I remembered my last great battle in Italy. It was nearly two years ago. Two years without troops. Two years of flight.
    It was time to become again a great leader, famous and respected.

2nd Iberian Campaign (Part II)
    Chapter XXXV : Zaragoza, in the steps of my youth

An de Grâce 1205 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    South of Zaragoza.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m back in France after a while in Toledo, under the spanish protection.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

The problem is that she deeply loves me.
    Despite the nightmares, I made her pregnant and I let her in Toledo.

Margit.
    "Secret love"

The big problem is that she was supposed to be the wife of Olivier, my old best general and friend. There are so many difficult choices in life.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He was one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    He was my “compagnon d’armes” but when he learned that I was the secret lover of his betroth Margit, he decided to leave me, just after saving my life.

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

I decided to attack the following morning. All the night, I studied what could be the best strategy to minimize our losses. It was hard to find a good one because my army was compound of only foot soldiers. I finally decided that the best should be to launch a front attack, and try to break their lines like an unbreakable wave.

The first ray of the sun appeared behind the hills. The day would be warm. It was better not to wait and take advantage of the morning coolness. I slipped on my armor and sat astride my steed.
    My soldiers were ready for the fight. I explained that the enemies were not tough soldiers. They were French traitors and it shouldn’t be difficult to rout them.

Arnolf had taken advantage of the landscape and had positioned his troops on the top of a hill. I couldn’t use the same strategy that I did with André de Montfort near Zaragoza against the Moorish, because I had no cavalry this time.

The battle should be more difficult…
    However, I didn’t hesitate and ordered my troops to run and submerge the bastards’ foes. Their crossbowmen started to fire. I saw my first soldiers lying on the Iberian ground. Despite his strategic position, Arnolf de Montaigu seemed a little disconcerted by our quick charge. He decided to use the charge of his chivalric knights to scatter and hammer my troops.

I ordered my axemen to face them. The charge was dramatic. I lost a lot of skilled soldiers but the remaining axemen fought with their heart to avenge their friends and Arnolf was soon surrounded by my furious soldiers. The cavalry was defenseless against the great battle-axes.
    The butchery had started.

I decided to use that time to charge the crossbowmen with my loyal bodyguards. Our victims saw us and aimed at us. We received a mortal volley of arrows. One of them suddenly stuck in my back. Just where was my old wound.
    I cried and missed to faint. I shouldn’t. I was now in the middle of furious crossbowmen and falling from my steed meant death.

My throat was full of blood and I had difficulties to breath but I faced the foes and Durandal cut off heads and arms, making blood drills in the enemies’ melee.

Some of my bodyguards tried to protect me. The foes started to rear back. My foot soldiers reached the melee and the fury gained in strength. I understood that Arnolf had been slaughtered and I smiled, despite my pain.

It was a matter of time now.
    The enemies routed and we chased them. The victory was ours.

The road of Zaragoza was clear now.
    Thanks to my battle skills, I earned the right to enter a new era of glory and conquests. I still remembered some old old enemies that I should punish one day:
    Guy de Lusignan and his Crusader friends…

The following day, we entered Zaragoza, defenseless. People of the city knew me and had heard about my victory against Arnolf de Montaigu. It appeared that Arnolf was not a good ruler. The people were pleased to see me again.
    This day, celebrations spread all around the city. I and my soldiers were acclaimed as heroes. The council of the city met me and proclaimed me as the new count of Zaragoza. It was just one more medal to wear on my chest but it was the acknowledgement that I was the new leader of the south French area.

I soon took control of the governor palace, and I nominated some loyal friends as responsible leaders of the town. I also sent a lot of spies to know what happened in the other cities of the south of the Kingdom. What about Pamplona and Narbonne?
    I would be sure to take control of them soon.
    The more the people I could gather, the best shield I could place between me and Louis the Merciless.

After some days spent in the town, enjoying the life with Margit and my friends, I received an important letter from a Spanish messenger. It was Clara.

“Philippe, my Love.
    I’m so pleased to write you this letter.
    You are a father now.

I’ve given birth to a son, to the most wonderful son.
    I named him Philippe, like you and your father. I can see in his face the mix of your beauty and mine. I will take care of him until you can come back in Toledo.

My father Vermundo had organized some celebrations. I’m already imagining me as your queen, waiting for our son to become the next King of France.

Philippe, it’s an honor to be your wife. I’m sorry for all the quarrels we had together. It’s past now and I truly want you to come back soon. I want to be blessed by other children my love. Come back in my bed as soon as possible, I miss you so much.

A bientôt mi amor.

I was father!!!
    It took me some time to understand and accept the impact of that new. I was now linked by my blood with the royal Spanish family.
    And I was the father of a son. What could be better?

This idiot wife sent my son the same name than me. It was not so bad finally. It was the third Philippe Capet. Maybe the beginning of a glorious line of heroes.

The only problem was that Clara would like other children. It was more than my strengths could achieve. The last night I spent with her became a nightmare during weeks. I wouldn’t like to be haunted all my life.
    Anyway, it was such a little black point compared to the amazing new.

I spent the rest of the week in a state of permanent happiness, nearly forgetting that I should build the foundations of my future glory.

I soon went back to my concerns.
    My spies reported me that the Kingdom of France was the same that the one I had left when I sailed to Italy. However, as said Norbert, just the major cities remained under the power of Louis the Merciless. The countryside was in open rebellion and it was quite amazing that the King succeeded to keep his authority upon the outlying cities, and most particularly those in the South of France.
    It was clear that I could easily take control of Pamplona, Narbonne and even the citadel of Toulouse.

As Louis, Michel was still in Paris. It appeared that Michel had been trapped at his own game. He had fueled the rebellion to take the power, but now the rebellion was too strong to be controlled.

What a destiny joke…

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

As always mate, great AAR, and I read every post. Very interested in seeing how this medieval "soap opera" turns out! Or this medieval Shakespearean tragedy

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

Shadrach
    Thanks for your comment my friend. I'm pleased you are still enjoying the story. Yeah, it is now quite a soap opera .
    And it is far from the end (if Philippe suceed to stay alive, obviously...)

I hope it won't be a 25 years old tragedy. Philippe worth a longer life, doesn't he?

2nd Iberian Campaign (Part III)
    Chapter XXXVI : Parisian tales...

An de Grâce 1205 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Zaragoza.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m back in France after a while in Toledo, under the spanish protection, and I suceeded to be the new leader of Zaragoza, despite my state of outlaw...

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Michel was obliged to stay in Paris, like Louis and Charles.
    However, I shouldn’t underestimate him and Louis the Merciless. My spies reported me that Michel had 2 sons and 2 daughters. It was a lot and could be dangerous for my future, if that offspring was as perfidious as their father.

On the other hand, the son of Louis, the disinherited Charles, who had been reconciled, was a growing threat. He was aged of 20 and spent 2 years in a dungeon. He was totally uneducated and seemed to feed on some feeling of revenge, especially against me that he could consider as the bastard who stole his heir title.

Parisian people were already naming him Charles the Brute.

The most important news my spies told me were that Paris had been again the target of the swine Flanders. They were trying to take advantage of the excommunication. They were raising huge armies of experienced soldiers. The fame of their pikemen was well known.

One of my best spies had succeeded to learn the whole story, during a night in some disreputable Paris’s inns.
    The Dutch troops besieged Paris in the beginning of the last spring. I was still in Toledo these times. It was quite a professional army. The tough pikemen were mixed with spearmen, beefeaters, and some heavy infantry. It was clearly an army to take the city walls. Their leader was Clement van Hainaut. He was the husband of the Flanders’s king’s daughter.

It was clear that the Dutch would like to break the heart of the Kingdom. The king Louis, Michel and Charles the Brute were trapped in Paris.
    They decided to gather their strengths and to attack, instead of waiting behind the walls. It was a wit strategy. Indeed, the French loyal nobles could then use the strength of their cavalry to break the infantry lines. The rest of the French army was built up with spear militia and crossbow militia. These soldiers had been raised during the siege and were not experimented nor well equipped. They were definitely the future victims to be brought to the butchery.

Louis planned the battle. He decided to attack during the evening, just at the time of the dinner, to surprise the Dutch.
    The fate of the Kingdom was in hand of soldiers, once again…

Thanks to the surprise effect, Clement van Hainaut decided to move back his troops out of range of the French crossbowmen and took some time to rearrange his army.
    Louis didn’t lose this crucial time. He placed his crossbowmen in a little hill, hidden behind some bushes, waiting for the enemy.

After half an hour of waiting, Clement decided to launch his elite pikemen against the defenseless spear militia.

They advanced toward the bulk of the French troops when they were surprised by volleys of arrows from the left of Louis’s troops. The crossbowmen had started their killing work, and they were pretty efficient.

Despite their dazzling and heavy armors, the Dutchmen took heavy losses, trying to reach the French troops.
    Arrows were blind and killed young recruits as veterans.

They finally reached the main French line and the massacre started. The pikemen were slaughtering the poor French militia.
    Louis decided to launch the signal for the knight’s nobles to go round when every Flanders’s unit was in close fight.

It didn’t take a lot of time before the frightening charge. The French lines were starting to rout but were still standing the position when Louis, Michel and Charles the Brute charged together in the back of the Dutch’s soldiers.

It was a massacre. The Flanders’s general tried to oppose his own bodyguards to the French cavalry but it was quits a suicide. Some French baron didn’t waste long time before decapitating Clement.

However, the pikemen stood proudly in the middle of the battle, decimating more French militia, and waiting for the cavalry charge. They were strong warriors, not used to rout.

The French nobles were still blood thirsty and they charged again and again, with bravery and for honor. But this time, lots of French knights found their death against the experienced pikes.
    Despite that desperate burst, the pikemen were soon surrounded and finally surrender. They shouldn’t because Louis rushed and ordered to slay all these bastards.

Louis was not the last of the murderers and paid his tribute to that work.

Once again, the Kingdom was saved. But for how long?
    How long could Paris resist against the hordes of Dutchmen, who could rely on a thriving economy and on strong allies, like England and the Holy Empire?

I would have loved to see the death of Louis the Merciless, or even the one of Michel, but I didn’t want at all to see the Kingdom collapse. I needed this Kingdom for my future plans.
    I decided to let some spies in Paris, in order to make me aware of the most little new that could happen there.

What a strange feeling to be the spectator of your Kingdom fate, when two years before, you were imposing to the Pope himself your own law and rules…

2nd Iberian Campaign (Part III)
    Chapter XXXVII : How to win the soldiers confidence...

An de Grâce 1205 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Zaragoza.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m 25 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.
    I’m back in France after a while in Toledo, under the spanish protection, and I suceeded to be the new leader of Zaragoza, despite my state of outlaw...

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

I was governing Zaragoza.
    I spent the winter there. I only once visited Toledo to see my son. It was a strange baby. He was already fat as his mother.
    However, he clearly wore the marks of my Arabic origins. I hoped that he could become fit and powerful as his father.
    The only problem was that Clara was feeding him each time she was eating. It meant that the poor baby was fed permanently with disgusting Spanish food. I asked Clara to send the baby in my Court in Zaragoza, with experimented nurses. Clara refused. She was in love with this poor son.
    I finally managed that when he would be 3 years old, he would move with Clara in my Court. I wasn’t really pleased to have Clara in the same place than me, but I couldn’t give up the baby in Toledo. He would have die of food suffocation otherwise.

When I came back in Zaragoza, I learned that some Spanish rebels were devastating the countryside around the city. I couldn’t tolerate that some pathetic nobles make such a laugh about my authority.
    My problem was that I didn’t possess a lot of troops. I should let the main strengths in Zaragoza to keep order and be sure that no-one would try to take the opportunity to become the new local lord.

Despite that, I decided to attack. I knew that the rebel forces were compound of a lot of skirmishers. Therefore, I left the town with only my loyal friends and bodyguards and the more crossbowmen I had found in Zaragoza. The battle was fought near the Ebro, in the middle of March.

The Spanish lord was named Santiago. He was a Catalan rebel. He was said to be the son of a peasant, killed by Louis’s army ten years ago, when Louis came back from his missed crusade against Cordoba. Surely, he was there for revenge, and I knew what revenge meant.
    Revenge meant fury.
    My strengths were outnumbered and the fight would be hard.

Santiago was with some famous Jinetes, elite Spanish troops. There were also some foot skirmishers and spearmen. It would have been a pleasure to meet such a little rebel troops with my previous armies.

However, winds had turned since my Pope raid, and my troops were the ghosts of my glorious crusaders. I should manage to win this battle with crossbowmen.
    I had to invent a new strategy.

I decided to use a defensive position. I was sure that Santiago had been warned that we were a quite easy prey. I expected him to attack first.
    It would have been suicide to attack him, because of his fast and deadly Jinetes.
    I ordered my troops to make a circle arc around a little village, located on a hill.

A windmill was on the top of the hill. It was an easy position to secure, with the strength and range of my crossbowmen.
    I ordered them to hide themselves. With my mounted bodyguards and a unit of crossbowmen, we were the ideal prey.
    We were good bait for Santiago.

My other crossbowmen stayed behind bushes, waiting the crucial moment.

Santiago didn’t waste time to bite the bait. He advanced with his Jinetes. They were suspicious, but a little too more excited about an easy victory.

We saw them in the valley. They were coming just in the good angle for my crossbowmen. The plain would soon become hell.

When Santiago entered the range zone of my crossbowmen, they all stood up and shot their first volley. It was a dramatic instant. Hundreds of arrows were piercing the air.

The Jinetes were surprised and were the first casualties. The fierce warriors hadn’t had the time to launch their javelins. The arrows had been faster.

However, Santiago rushed back and launched the attack. We heard the roar of his spearmen and skirmishers, surging on my defenseless crossbowmen. The skirmishers and Jinetes threw their mortal javelins.
    The lines of my crossbowmen were pierced.

I was watching the distant massacre. I thought it was the good time to charge Santiago and his Jinetes. Indeed, they were in the middle of their spearmen and couldn’t escape my charge.
    Hearing the loud noise of my cavalry hooves hammering the floor, my crossbowmen bucked up their courage.

As expected, the Jinetes couldn’t flee our charge. They were obliged to face. They were valiant and courageous, but not skilled for a close combat. It was an easy fight and I took pleasure slaughtering some rebels.

During the same time, the bulk of the foes spearmen rushed into my crossbowmen. My defenseless troops found the courage to stand and face the enemies with their spikes.

Unfortunately for them, they forgot to charge one of my crossbowmen units, still hidden behind the bushes. They were soon unpleasantly surprised by some arrows volleys in their back. They weren’t protected by their heavy shield and dozens of men felt at each volley.
    They routed…

Santiago, watching the disaster, also decided to retreat, with his remaining Jinetes.
    The victory was ours.
    I exulted of joy.

However, I didn’t lose my time and slaughtered some of the fleeing spearmen, teaching them not to be cowards.
    Doing that, I thought about my youth, where I was still dreaming of chivalry and honor. It was like my youth was definitely over. I was not a butcher, but I had learnt what real-politic and real-war was.
    There is no mercy in battles…

My crossbowmen stayed in the war field, proud and courageous. They were exhausted and wounded, but pleased of this victory.

It was not a huge battle, but loads of men remained on the floor. Peasants of the village we had defended helped us to bury the dead and cure our casualties.

It was time to come back in Zaragoza. I was now sure that my authority in the region was sufficiently strong. My soldiers would spread the new of the heroic victory and people will see me again like the new conqueror.

“Let’s build our Kingdom!” I smiled to my loyal friends.
    They smiled me back…

2nd Iberian Campaign (Part IV)
    Chapter XXXVIII : Rebirth of a King.

An de Grâce 1206 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    Zaragoza.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m 26 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

In Zaragoza, we celebrated my victory and also my 26th birthday.
    I ordered a week of free days, where we offered free supplies to the people. As I had expected, the news of my “heroic” victory spread in the city and people were proud of me. They had lived 3 years of hard times, with the rebels multiplying, parasiting the countryside.

Now, these times were over and a new era of abundance seemed to be established.
    Not for long in fact.

I spent the following year increasing the city defenses and hiring some militia. I also succeeded to join Pamplona. The local lord of the city heard about my late success and accepted to admit my title of Dauphin. He let me take control of the town, despite the orders of Louis and Michel. I was pleased and thanked him by appointing him the new governor of Pamplona.
    He was named Bertrand du Guesclin.
    He had spent his youth in Brittany and was in the middle of his 30’s. He was very well educated and knew how to rule a city. He was also quite aware of the revolution state of the Kingdom and saw in me the hope of a better future.
    I spent some weeks in Pamplona, talking with him, and it appeared that he could be another loyal friend, as those who were fighting with me on the battlefield.

I really needed some loyal governors. The countryside was full of rebels and the Muslims heretics saw there the opportunity to spread their evil religion. The French priests failed to eradicate that threatening heresy.

Worst, one of the best bishops of the South of the Kingdom, Godefroy de Bouillon, fell to heresy. One moment, I feared that the country I won with the weapons could be lost because of a lack of crosses.

I decided to speed the learning of priest and to ask for more missionaries. What an irony!!
    I was just doing what I hated during my youth: encouraging the religion wars…
    It was the only way to save the power I succeeded to acquire. I thought that I would use my future time to repair those essential mistakes.

It was clear that it wasn’t possible to be a leader and keep his youth ideals in the same time.
    Sad world…
    Sad destiny…

One of my spies succeeded to infiltrate Louis the Merciless friends circle. It was Arnoul de Penthièvre. He was with me in Italy and seemed to be a loyal agent.

He was an adept spy. He was 46 years old and had spent 20 years of his life spying and plotting for Philippe Auguste, my dead father. Philippe had ordered him to serve me before his death. Even Louis didn’t know that Arnoul was one of the spies of his father.

Arnoul sent me some important messages.

It was said that the French Kingdom had entered an era of total war with the Flanders’s County. Each day brought its news of ambushes, massacres and heroes. The Dutch were experienced and cunning warriors. They could count on their wealth.
    The French could just count on their bravery and courage.

Sometimes, it was useless…

The Dutch were hiring some strong cavalry and elite pikemen. No real battle strategy was found to counter them. The schemes of the battle were often the same. The French nobles were charging for the honor, before to meet the mortal pikes, and rush back. The crossbowmen then were trying to slaughter the elite foot warriors, but the Dutch cavalry was there to counter them.

The only solution for the French strengths was finally to protect themselves behind the city walls. The French people were waiting for a hero to save them.
    Unfortunately, the dreadful King Louis was blocked in Paris, because of the rebel nobles.

The fate of the Kingdom seemed quite dark these times…

Then it happened.
    Charles the Brute, son of the King Louis the Merciless, stopped being so idiot as he behaved the last few years. He chose a wife. She was an Italian one. She was named Clare de Rocafolio.

Louis was so happy by that new, because Charles was his only offspring. Louis decided to spend the last money he possessed in wonderful celebrations. The marriage lasted 3 days. Paris people were pleased about that.

And then the miracle occurred.
    Louis the Merciless was without authority since years. He was still on the throne but couldn’t take any important decisions.
    Suddenly, he seemed confident in himself and people around him felt this powerful aura, which seemed emerging around him. Even some rebel nobles agreed to stop the rebellion and sent him their submission. A sort of shared enthusiasm was fueled around the King. He stopped to be the unconsidered man he was before.

To conclude, my spy Arnoul wrote that the King was thinking about me and about a way to get rid of the annoying heir I was. The King was also planning some new campaigns and would like to use the sudden synergy around him to hire the more troops he could.

When I read this news, I was extremely disappointed.
    I was just regaining my lost power in the South of France when that bastard of Louis was beginning to recover his past strength and authority. This Louis was a real leech, a sort of plague I couldn’t get rid of.

However, I wasn’t forgetting Hélène, despite the wonderful times spent with Margit. I remembered when I crossed the Pyrenees 7 years ago. I had made a promise.
    The promise of killing a murderer.
    The promise of killing a King…

Hi guys,

I don't know if you had notice, but something new, and really strange, happened during the last Chapter.

About the game, as you could have noticed, Louis is still excommunicated, and the Kingdm is still in revolution, with Charles being a rebel. (fortunately not Michel and Philippe).
    How do you explain that Louis suddenly took back his authority lost?
    I personnaly think he has reached a level of authority of -1, which forced the game mechanisms to implement a level of authority of +10.

Anyway, I liked it because it matches with the story (or maybe the story matches with the events? )

If you have any knowledge about that, I would be pleased to learn how it happened...

Cheers

I don't have a clue to what happened, did you won some major victories? Or perhaps that the territories which Philippe took back, have re-established Louis authority. Anyway as always great aar and keep up your great work.

wvswem
    Actually, I didn't move Louis from Paris and he didn't fight any battle more than the Dutch besieges.
    It is strange indeed.

In all cases, thanks for your comment my friend.

Chapter XXXIX : Stab in the back...

An de Grâce 1207 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    South of the Pyrénées.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m 27 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

He is in Paris, and after some hard times, it seems that he took back his authority. He seems on the way to send me some extermination forces.

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Despite the nightmares, I made her pregnant and I let her in Toledo. She gave birth to Philippe, my first and only son.

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin is a local noble from brittany, who became the governor of Pamplona. He believed in my dream to found a new Kingdom and he became one of my close friends. He helps me more than everyone else to build an alternate Kingdom in the Iberian Peninsula

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Arnoul is my best personal spy.
    He was previously spying for Philippe Auguste, my father. He is extremely experimented and plays a key role in my chess game against Louis and Michel.

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

I shouldn’t lose any time to prepare my strengths against Louis. I ordered to hire some swordsmen in Pamplona and a lot of crossbowmen in Zaragoza. I had changed my battle strategy since the battle against Santiago. I was now confident on the strength of the crossbow to get rid of slow or distant troops.

Bertrand du Guesclin was helping me to complete my army.
    Margit was still my secret lover. Thanks to her, I found the strength to work hard each day, to convince people with my thoughts, to train myself more and more. She was also very wit and helped me during some negotiations. I was totally in love with her. Some days, I would have loved to be another man and just to be alone in an island with Margit. I ordered some of my best bodyguards to take care of her.

At the beginning of the next spring, we noticed that her belly had started to grow. Surely a new child, but a bastard this time, unfortunately.
    “Why Clara is my wife?” I often thought.

My official son, Philippe, was still growing in Toledo. He was one years old now, and I decided to take him with me in Zaragoza. Clara agreed to do that, despite some strong arguments we had together.
    What a terrible wife that hideous Clara!!!

During the next winter, I learned that Olivier, my loyal general who saved my life two years before, was living in the north of Narbonne. He lived in the city he was born in, Beziers.
    He was reported to be a small blacksmith. I thought it was time to excuse me and to ask him to help me again.
    I rode all the way to Beziers with some of my bodyguards. When I arrived in the small city, I asked for him to a local farmer. He showed me where Olivier was living. It was a small forge, located at the extremity of the town. We could see the last sun rays of twilight.

I entered the dwelling, alone. Olivier was there, working on a halberd. He turned his head.
    I smiled and said:
    - “Olivier, my dear friend, I have to talk with you.”

I tried to hug him but he walked back and replied.
    - “Philippe, I’m honored about your presence but as I said to you in Spain, I’m no more your friend. I can’t and don’t want to help you. The story is over. My life is calm and happy here.”

I was embarrassed. I knew that he was right. I would have killed everyone who could have tried to steal Margit, but he was standing calmly in front of me. I admired his moral strength. He was a brilliant general but also a wise man. I was not.
    I stayed ashamed, lost on my thought. Olivier was fixing me.

I suddenly felt on my knees and prayed him:
    - “Olivier. I truly regret what happened with Margit. I was young, and she made me love her. I knew that it was madness but youth is full of mistakes.
    Since the time you saved my life, I can’t sleep peacefully. I’m still thinking about you, about the best friendship I’ve lost. I’m so ashamed of my behavior Oliver.
    Please forgive me.”
    I bent down my head, waiting for his decision.

He didn’t reply. He just sat on a chair, still fixing me, as if he was waiting for a magic word to speak again.

- “Oliver, “ I continued,
    “I’m here to start again our friendship.
    My life is such a mess since you disappeared. I understood the heavy loss you meant to me. You are still young and courageous. I think that you are promised to a glorious fate. Come with me Olivier and we will ride again for the Kingdom.
    Heretics are spreading everywhere. The enemies of the Kingdom are preparing again to mutilate and split the country between them.

I beg you Olivier. I need your help.
    I need the help of each courageous soldiers of the Kingdom to protect our people.
    You are the most courageous.
    You are a loyal friend.
    I can’t succeed without you…

I finished, imploring Olivier.

He stood up and whispered, a sad light in his eyes.
    - “I’m sorry Philippe. I can’t. I promised me this day to stay out of the Kingdom affairs. I don’t want to be a liar.
    However, I forgive you Philippe.
    I hope you will continue to protect the people of our kingdom. I wish you a glorious and happy destiny.”

I glazed at him. He seemed determined. I understood that any of my words could convince him. I shook his hand. I felt sad.
    I assured him that I would be pleased to help him for everything he could need. I said I was in Zaragoza, and that I would always be ready to welcome him, if he changed his mind.

We rode back to Zaragoza.

When we stopped in Narbonne, I learned what happened during our absence. We had been betrayed. The bastard Spanish…

They had sent a complete and experienced army against Zaragoza. The town was defenseless. They were just the crossbow militia I hired and some spearmen to protect our people.

Zaragoza was besieged since 2 weeks now. The city was well supplied but the Spanish were already building some siege equipments. They could launch the attack before spring.

I stayed stunned learning that.
    What? Our best friends, the Spanish?
    The ones I’ve sent Rome like a gift?
    The ones who helped me and welcomed me in Toledo?
    The ones who sent me some troops?
    The Kingdom of my wife Clara?
    The blood of my son Philippe?

It couldn’t be true…
    I realized then that maybe my old forecasts about Vermundo’s behavior were not as wrong as I thought. This swine Vermundo helped me, giving some soldiers, just hoping that those intestinal struggles could help him to split our Kingdom.
    Vermundo wasn’t interested at all about my fight. He was just greedy watching at Zaragoza, Pamplona and even Narbonne.
    This traitor king will be learned a lesson, I thought.

But which lesson? I was without troops, far away from Zaragoza…

I then thought about Clara , Margit and my son Philippe. They were in Zaragoza.
    I shouted of anger:
    - “Vermundo, fuc-king bastard, I will cut myself your bowls. Take care…”
    I ordered to ride until Zaragoza without any pause…

Chapter XL : Trapped !!!

An de Grâce 1207 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    South of the Pyrénées.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m 27 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

He is in Paris, and after some hard times, it seems that he took back his authority. He seems on the way to send me some extermination forces.

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Despite the nightmares, I made her pregnant and I let her in Toledo. She gave birth to Philippe, my first and only son.

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin is a local noble from brittany, who became the governor of Pamplona. He believed in my dream to found a new Kingdom and he became one of my close friends. He helps me more than everyone else to build an alternate Kingdom in the Iberian Peninsula

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

He was previously spying for Philippe Auguste, my father. He is extremely experimented and plays a key role in my chess game against Louis and Michel.

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

During the travel, I sent a message to Olivier. I would like him to be aware of this disastrous situation. Maybe he could change his mind.

I didn’t take the time to admire the landscape that time. My love and my son were my only thoughts. They were trapped. I didn’t worry a lot for Clara, because she remained the daughter of the Spanish King Vermundo, but Margit would be surely raped or even worse. It reminded me the tremendous times when I heard about the death of Hélène.
    It won’t happen again…
    Never…

One day, we were riding along the south border of the Pyrenees when I saw a group of knights riding toward us.
    The French banner!!!
    I smiled. They were surely some friends coming from Toulouse to help Zaragoza.

When they saw us, they stopped. A general was leading them. They were quite as many as we were with my bodyguards. The general asked me who I was.
    I replied proudly that I was Philippe, Dauphin of the Kingdom. I returned the question.
    The general seemed to be a little shocked about that news. He glazed at his soldiers, silently. Then he said:
    - “My lord, I ask you to join us. The rest of my troop is just behind.”

I smiled. He was not alone. It was quite sure that they came from Toulouse. We started to ride and I asked:
    - “Where do you come from? I really need your help. We are in a really difficult situation and Zaragoza had just been….” I stopped suddenly.

It was not just a troop that appeared in front of us. It was an entire army. A complete French army!!!

I stopped my steed, speechless and stunned.
    I turned my head to ask the French general what was that army when I felt a sharp and cold feeling in my neck…

The general was just beside me, and his sword was already grazing my neck…
    - “Philippe, you are arrested by order of the King, Louis! Please do not resist and nothing wrong will be done to you and your comrades.”

- “I’m trapped!!!” I winced.
    My wife and son are besieged in Zaragoza and I was trapped. It couldn’t be true. Was there a devil force to play against me? Was I damned to be the eternal victim of the destiny?

The bulk of the army was surrounding us now and it was impossible to flee.
    - “What the hell!!!” I shouted.
    “Who are you to arrest me? Who are you to arrest the heir of the Kingdom?”

The general who was still holding his sword on my neck didn’t reply.

I understood why. A magnificent knight was approaching. He removed his helmet and announced.
    - “I’m Baudouin de Nantes. I’m the Connétable de France. I arrest you because of your crimes against the Papacy, because of your crimes against the Kingdom, and because of your betrayal of our rightful King Louis.”
    I was knocked out. I even didn’t succeed to talk. I was quickly disarmed and chained up.

I closed my eyes, unable to accept the reality.
    My heart was broken…

I remember that the army installed a camp for the night. I was watching them, still shocked by what happened.
    Just before twilight, I had been brought in the Connétable’s quarters. Two bodyguards were beside me, holding firmly my chains. Baudouin de Nantes came in front of me.

It was a solid warrior. He was one of the most loyal general of Louis and fought with him many times against the Dutch in the past 5 years. I couldn’t hope any mercy from him.

He fixed me for some seconds before to say:
    - “Philippe, I will bring you with me and the army till Paris where you would be judged about what you had done in Italy. I know that you are a skilled and courageous lord but the orders of Louis are clear.
    However, if you need anything during the travel, feel free to ask…”

I interrupted him and whimpered:
    - “Baudouin, I know your orders. I just beg you to help me protect Zaragoza, and then, I would go with you in Paris.
    I beg you Baudouin. My wife and my son are besieged there.”

Baudouin seemed suddenly surprised.
    - “Zaragoza?” He exclaimed.
    “What happened there?”

It was my turn to be surprised. Baudouin hadn’t been warned about that.
    I quickly explained:
    - “Yes. Zaragoza is besieged by the Moorish since 2 months. We have the duty to protect the French people of the city.
    Haven’t you heard about that?”

He sat on a chair, apparently puzzled.
    After a while, he said:
    - “I will think about that Philippe. I will think and take my decision. However, you will stay there until I change my orders.
    A bientôt Philippe.”

Baudouin left the tent and the guards remained. I was useless. I was a prisoner waiting for his judgment, defenseless…

Chapter XLI : My dear friends...

An de Grâce 1207 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    South of the Pyrénées.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m back in France, suceeded to be the new leader of Zaragoza, despite my state of outlaw, but had just been captured by a loyal french army...

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

He is in Paris, and after some hard times, it seems that he took back his authority. He sent me some extermination forces.

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

For one week, I stayed in the same tent. I never saw Baudouin. I was just waiting, eating and thinking. I was not as much demoralized as when I had been captured but I was still in a very sad mood. I knew that Margit and my son could be slaughtered if no decision were taken to counter attack. Maybe they were already dead…
    Moreover, I couldn’t expect any mercy from Louis and Michel. The only solution was to escape…

I didn’t know where my friends and bodyguards who had been captured with me were. I tried to talk with my guards but they didn’t reply me. I was like an exile man.
    I wasn’t used with that feeling. I was used to command, to rule and to be admired. Not to be the black sheep of an army…
    Despite the silence of the guards, I succeeded to catch some talks between soldiers. I heard talks about some rebel soldiers, fed up with Louis’s decisions. I heard about a spy inside the army. I heard about the inability of some lords to decide what to do. I heard about some Crusaders…
    It seemed that the army I was the major prisoner was not as unite as it should be. Maybe there was an opportunity for me.
    But how to grab it when you are chained?

I was thinking about that news when I clearly saw a shadow walking around the curtains of my tent. It was the middle of the night and some of the braziers outside were showing a shade.
    It was a man. This man was trying to enter the tent, avoiding the guards at the entry.
    I was petrified.
    Who was it? Could he be a friend? Could he be an assassin? I was fixing the man shade without any noise.
    The guards outside were talking and joking together. Sometimes, they were moving, going round the tent or joining other soldiers around the braziers. The shade was leaving and coming back. It lasted more than one hour. I felt the drops of sweat going down my back. If it was the opportunity I waited for one week, I would be ready to take it…

Suddenly, the shade came another time and entered quickly the tent. I just heard the noise of the torn canvas. It was a pro work. The man had surely cut some parts during the last hour and he succeeded to penetrate easily and without noise. I didn’t distinguish the man at the beginning, because he hid himself behind some furnishes in the tent.
    Nothing happened during several minutes. The man finally stood up and came near. He was wearing a black cloak.

“Norbert ! “ I feared.
    The guy threw his hood and I discovered his face… I smiled. Arnoul !
    My loyal Arnoul de Penthièvre. He was there to save me. I was not as damned as I thought.

Arnoul put one finger on his mouth, meaning that nothing should be said. I was aware of that, because we could clearly hear the guards keeping talking.
    He whispered near my ear that we should be quick. The guards would surely soon notice the hole in the tent.
    Arnoul helped me to untie my chains. He sent me a dagger. I was ready.
    We were starting to leave the tent when we clearly heard the screeching voice of a guard:
    - “I am going to see if our guest is sleeping well”.

Arnoul suddenly ordered me to lie on the floor, near my chains. The same moment, Arnoul hid himself behind a cupboard.
    We didn’t wait for a long time. Two guards entered with a torch. They saw me and smiled.
    - “Are you sleeping well my lor….”.
    The guard suddenly fell on the ground, blood flowing from his back. Arnoul was quick but the second guard avoided his second blow and succeeded to take his halberd. Arnoul was quite defenseless now.

I surged behind the guard and with a quick move, I cut his throat. The blood gushed and spoilt my clothes. We heard a small rattle and the corpse fell down.
    I was back in the game…

I didn’t feel sorry for this guard and it was the proof of the change which occurred in me since the Papal adventure. I was growing as a professional warrior, without any compassion and sympathy feelings. My heart was tougher each day.
    The good days of my youth, filled with honor and chivalry were far away…

I searched in the tent for my sword, Durandal. After a while, I found it and we left the place with Arnoul. In the camp, we were quiet and quick. Like two shadows, we crossed the field, stole two steeds, and flew across the countryside.

Liberty…

I strongly thanked Arnoul. There were still a lot of problems to solve but the major one was over. I asked him how he succeeded to save me, and how he learned that I was prisoner.
    He explained that he was riding toward the South from Paris when he heard about my arrest near the Pyrenees. He decided to save me as soon as possible.
    It is why he infiltrated the camp and helped me.

But it was not all. When he arrived in the military camp, he met Olivier. Arnoul and Olivier knew each other very well because we were together in Italy. My spy was very surprised to see Olivier there because he knew that my old war brother decided to stop fighting since the Iberian ambush. They talked together and Arnoul learned that Olivier finally made up his mind after receiving my letter about Zaragoza siege.
    I was stunned about that new. I was thinking that Olivier was definitely a retiree warrior, despite his youth.
    The thing is that Olivier was also in the camp to help me, trying to persuade some of the Crusaders there to desert, and to liberate Zaragoza. It was why there were some rumors of rebellion amongst the army. Olivier was convinced that he should help the people of the city. The Crusaders were easily persuaded too because they were men prepared for battle, not men prepared for executing dark plans of a master plotter. Moreover, a lot of them had heard about the heroic battles Olivier and me had fought in Italy. They quickly thought that I would help them better than Baudouin to meet battle and glory.

Arnoul explained me that Olivier and the major part of the Crusaders were deserting Baudouin’s Army the same night than us. Arnoul was supposed to meet Olivier the day after in a little city, just in the south of the Pyrenees.

I was delighted this night. We were riding, it was cold and a frozen rain was pouring on us, but my mind was in another world. I was warm, thinking of Margit and my son. I was like I could have fought an entire army.

Happiness is so easy to reach when you missed to lose everything…

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Always a pleasure to read your great AAR on a rainy friday afternoon!

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

Chapter XLII : Zaragoza, I'm here for you.

An de Grâce 1207 AC.
    Royaume de France.
    North of Zaragoza.

!!!Medieval Music to listen!!!
    Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m back in France, suceeded to be the new leader of Zaragoza, despite my state of outlaw. After being captured by Louis's army, I suceeded to flee and I'm now ready to break the Spanish siege around Zaragoza.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

He is in Paris, and after some hard times, it seems that he took back his authority. He sent me some extermination forces.

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

However, he finally changed his mind and decided to help me. He gathered some rebel crusaders and waited me with them to save Zaragoza.

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

He was previously spying for Philippe Auguste, my father. He is extremely experimented and plays a key role in my chess game against Louis and Michel. This guy saved me when I was the prisoner of Baudouin, waiting for my death...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

The following day, as had said Arnoul, we met the “rebel” crusaders. I was thinking that they would be a little group of them, but I was so wrong…
    They were nearly 300. A real and powerful cavalry strength.

I was stunned and had difficulties to recover my voice. I was in a dream. I wouldn’t have hoped that so many warriors could be confident on me, after what we had done to the Pope.
    I quickly noticed Olivier, in the middle of the men.
    I dismounted and advanced in front of him. Nobody spoke. I suddenly fell on my knees and thanked him. I thanked him for his help, for his loyalty, for his bravery to risk his life for mine, for his courage to help people of Zaragoza…

He said he was proud being one of my general and was devoted to my cause, like any men there. They all roared of approval when Olivier finished.

I took a deep breath before to shout.
    - “My friends, this moment is crucial.
    It is crucial because we are starting a story.
    This story is a glorious one. I’m convinced of that. We have to believe in our fate. We have to believe in virtue. We are here to protect people of our country; we are here to be the righteous champions of the good.
    We won’t ever let the bad spreading. We won’t ever let some nobles plotting in our back.
    Let’s take the opportunity to write history in order our sons and wives could be proud of us. Let’s take the opportunity to become the examples of our nations for centuries and centuries.
    Like Clovis and Charlemagne, we can write a beautiful story together my friends. We have to… People are waiting for us.

Let’s go to Zaragoza…”

I finished, brandishing Durandal, like a saint with his stick, imploring for god.

Every of my new soldiers took their swords out of their scabbards and roared again. They were my new army.
    They were my only friends…
    And we were on the road of Zaragoza.

In my new army, I got back my old bodyguards who have been arrested with me. They were also prisoners like me but Baudouin let them more liberty than me. They had the right to move in the camp, but were unable to see me, or to escape the camp. It was why it was easy for them to desert and to join me.
    I was happy to know that none of them had been executed or tortured. Maybe Baudouin was a fair and dignified general.
    I couldn’t know what will be his reaction after that. Would he try to catch me again or would he stop the hunt, fearing for his army. Indeed, I was now powerful and quite all the cavalry strength of Baudouin’s army had rebelled. Moreover, we were a fast strength, because every warrior was mounted. I was expecting Baudouin to give up, even if I kept on my guards those days of ride until Zaragoza.

Within 6 days, we arrived near the city…

My heart was pounding strongly in my chest. I was hoping the city hadn’t resigned yet. I was thinking about Margit. I was thinking about my little son Philippe. Poor little child. He was just beginning his life. He was supposed to live a glorious life, not to be slain…
    I begged the sky.

- “The city is still French ! “ .
    A loud shout came from a scout, running back toward me.
    I sighed of pleasure and smiled. The army bellowed. They were ready to save their friends.
    The scout reported that the Spanish were still there, around the city, maybe waiting in order to starve the people.

I turned my head and glanced at Olivier. I said, dreamy :
    - “Olivier, I remember clearly how 5 years ago we arrived there.
    Our mission was the same: to liberate the city !!!

This time, there is no Moorish, but traitor Spanish. They will pay for what they have done. The world has to know that nobody has the right to betray the French Kingdom.
    And most particularly me”.
    I finished, with a sort of evil smile.

I ordered the army to prepare for the battle. My scouts reported that the Spanish army was led by a minor noble. These bastards were so certain and proud that they didn’t send an experimented general.
    “What a big mistake !”. I thought.
    It is still the same. French nobles like Spanish ones are always underestimating their enemy, and finally the only end to occur is a bloody defeat. It should be the same this day.
    However, the Spanish army was forecasted to be much bigger than the cavalry troops I was leading. They were five against one outnumbering us. And they were known to be good warriors. The only hope was that the people of the city would help us and counter attack the bastard Spanish in the same time we would begin the fight.

Let’s wait tomorrow…
    Let’s wait the sun…