Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

Default Re: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

Italian Campaign (Part I)
    Chapter XIX : Excommunication

An de Grâce 1203 AC.
    Papal State.
    Somewhere around Rome.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Philippe Capet, adoptive son of the French King. However, my real name is Muhammad Sahadeddine. I’ve been adopted because of an amazing coincidence. I hope to become soon a hero of Chivalry, and help the poor and the orphans.
    I know, I’ve read a lot of hero stories, but I’m a dreamer…
    I’m 23 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.
    I am in the Papal States with my army to meet my fate and kill Alexander.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

It is my elder “brother”, and the new King of France.
    He is a very skilled and fearful warrior. He can be qualified as a “butcher”.
    He is my worst enemy since he raped and killed my first love Hélène.
    He is now back in Paris, but meet some difficulties with rebel nobles. His authority is extremely low.

Michel.
    "Brother"

It is my second “brother”. He is one year and a half more than me.
    We were very good friends during our childhood, but it seems that these happy times are over.
    Michel is the new unofficial leader of the Kingdom, because he had managed to use the lords as a tool to take the command of the Kingdom, against Louis. I’m the heir just because of his will.
    He is working in the shadows and is potentially more dangerous than Louis himself.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

It is the only child and son of the king Louis the Merciless.
    He was supposed to be the rightful heir but because of Michel plans, I’ve stolen him the title. He should be very angry…
    Maybe because of that, he decided to be a rebel in order to steal his father’s crown, and had finally been thrown by Louis in the Paris dungeon. He is just 17th and begun the life in a sad way.

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I’m now considered as a real noble and I’m a little more protected against the anger of Louis.
    She is definitely ugly and I absolutely don’t want to sleep with her.
    The problem is that she deeply love me.
    I’ve abandoned her in Zaragoza to meet my fate in Rome.

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Charles was the governor of Toulouse citadel and is now the new governor of Zaragoza.
    Charles is my only real “friend”. He likes me and I think I can trust him.
    He is not a warrior, but he is a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.
    He has saved me from Louis’s sword.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who just taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I’m the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He is sending me Michel orders.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He is one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    Moreover, he seems very clever and he helped me to convince the army that the Pope Alexander was an enemy.
    I really want him to become my “compagnon d’armes”.

Philippe Auguste the Chivalrous.
    DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

He was my adoptive father, but also the French King.
    He loved the Chivalric Code, and enjoyed good tournaments. He was a wise ruler and French people liked him a lot.
    He died in battle, against Flanders, trying to defend Paris.

After four days, we reached the suburbs of Rome. We hadn’t suffered a single ambush.
    As forecasted, the Pope sent some messengers ordering us to go back, menacing to condemn us to Evil if we mucked again the sacral soil of the Papal States.

I laughed, seeing clearly the fear in the messenger.
    - “Don’t worry; I’m just here to present my army to the Pope. Why should he fear his own soldiers? And I have also some little advices to send him.”
    I said with a visible irony.

The messenger surged back, but it was too late. The Pope couldn’t escape the trap. Some of my units had already blocked the main ways to leave Rome.

The day after, an important Papal army came from the North. They had been warned of our presence and weren’t there to joke. I prepared my army, placing it between Rome and the North Papal Army.

The morning of the following day, a new messenger came. He said proudly:
    - ”Heretic French, your Kingdom is now excommunicated, and you can pray your pagan idols because it is your last day.”

I shouted.
    - “Evil bastard, go back to join your bribed lazy Pope. And it is useless for you to pray being protected by him. He just can do nothing than lying with whores.
    Go back before my sword reach your piggy throat”.

He rushed back.

- “They believe to be saved by their Northern Army” I thought.
    “Let’s show them the Crusader strength so”.
    I was still confident but I knew that the following day was already the most important day of my life.

I ordered my generals to gather and plan to forecast the battle. My strengths were compound of regular French soldiers - mostly crossbowmen and some spearmen – and of a major part of crusaders – mounted knights and spearmen.
    I decided to divide my troops in two distinct parts. My strategy was to secure a way to retreat by sending some troops in our back. I chose to keep with me all the Crusaders, spearmen and Knights. I would like to offer a wall of spears to the Pope’s armies.

I asked my generals who wanted to take the responsibility of this second army. Foulques, a chivalric noble from Normandy, offered to be this leader. I was confident on him.
    I clearly warned him to stay close to the main army, in case of need. Reinforcements are never useless.

I knew that we were outnumbered. I was relying on my powerful army. My soldiers were experimented, well trained and well protected by heavy amours.

However, the armies which were waiting for our blood were also very strong. They were compound of the best spearmen of the Christendom, the Papal guards. There were also a lot of experimented crossbowmen, halberds militia and some fearful pikemen.
    The only thing the Pope was lacking was a solid cavalry. Just the opposite of mine.

The day of the battle came. I arranged my army in the field. Ironically, the priests were walking across the soldiers, blessing them, praying God to help us against the Pope.
    “What a joke” I thought.

That moment, some of our scouts rushed near our headquarters. The Pope’s armies were approaching!

I asked my generals to come a last time to plan the battle. Olivier was there, in his bright armor. I ordered them that I would like to make profit of our defensive position. I said that we should rely on our spearmen and protect the cavalry behind.

One of my general, Godefroy, stopped me.
    - “My lord” he said, “There is no way for the cavalry to wait. We want to charge. We want the honor of the battle. We don’t want the spearmen saying that they won the battle without us.”

I was annoyed. Always this will to charge for the honor. It wasn’t efficient at all. I knew that but my generals were brilliant nobles, skilled, fearless, and didn’t want to wait behind their men.
    Olivier started to speak:
    - “Bien, there is one solution, we have to use the opportunity of the little wood near the battlefield to hide ourselves, and launch the charge when the foes will reach the spearmen.”

Godefroy complained:
    - “Where is the French honor? Should we hide ourselves like cowards? Couldn’t we charge under the sun, watching the eyes of the Popes better than his ass?”

“No” I shouted “Olivier is right, we should use the benefit of our charge but not in front of the Pikemen. I don’t want to see our fate annihilated by those bastards’ pikes, like my father against the cunning Dutchmen.
    Olivier, you are the leader of the cavalry. Go to the wood. I will stay with the spearmen, waiting for Alexander.
    Let’s go my friends.”

The battle could begin now…

Default Re: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

Chapter XX : Patience

An de Grâce 1203 AC.
    Papal State.
    Somewhere around Rome.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Philippe Capet, adoptive son of the French King. However, my real name is Muhammad Sahadeddine. I’ve been adopted because of an amazing coincidence. I hope to become soon a hero of Chivalry, and help the poor and the orphans.
    I’m 23 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

He is now back in Paris, but meet some difficulties with rebel nobles. His authority is extremely low.

Michel.
    "Brother"

We were very good friends during our childhood, but it seems that these happy times are over.
    Michel is the new unofficial leader of the Kingdom, because he had managed to use the lords as a tool to take the command of the Kingdom, against Louis. I’m the heir just because of his will.
    He is working in the shadows and is potentially more dangerous than Louis himself.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

He was supposed to be the rightful heir but because of Michel plans, I’ve stolen him the title. He should be very angry…
    Maybe because of that, he decided to be a rebel in order to steal his father’s crown, and had finally been thrown by Louis in the Paris dungeon. He is just 17th and begun the life in a sad way.

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I’m now considered as a real noble and I’m a little more protected against the anger of Louis.

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Charles was the governor of Toulouse citadel and is now the new governor of Zaragoza.
    He is not a warrior, but he is a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who just taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I’m the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He is sending me Michel orders.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He is one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    Moreover, he seems very clever and he helped me to convince the army that the Pope Alexander was an enemy.

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

He loved the Chivalric Code, and enjoyed good tournaments. He was a wise ruler and French people liked him a lot.

I didn’t wasted time to ride on my steed.
    I took Durandal and started to talk to my troops.

- “My friends, we have sailed together in the Mediterranean Sea during weeks, we have fought together in Pamplona, we have seen together our navy slaughtered by the Egyptians. My friends, we have not done that for nothing.
    We have done that for this battle.

Today, we will fight the devil. We will fight Alexander, the plotter and swindling Pope.
    We will kill him.
    Believe me, the head of this Flanders’s dog will be in the top of a spear before the evening.

My friends, we have to avenge our beloved King Philippe, we have to protect our Kingdom.
    Let’s think about your wives, your sons and daughters. We have the duty to protect them against all the wolves, waiting in the darkness to torn France, to tread upon our memory and glory.

My friends, we have the duty to restore the faith in the Christendom.
    Let’s annihilate the swine heretic, claiming to be the Pope.
    Pour la France, the day of glory has just arrived.”

The proud Crusaders were listening at me. They were ready and they were sharing my point of view. Thanks to my craftiness, I’ve succeeded to make them the worst enemy of their spiritual leader.

I felt a little guilty about all the lies I’ve done since several our sailing in the Mediterranean Sea. However, I remembered the tears of my mother, in Acre, 20 years ago. I remembered all the innocent lives destroyed by the will of a single man. This man wasn’t the master of spy I described him, but he was probably one of the major plague in this world.
    He deserved what was happening.
    He deserved to feel what the pain was, what the sorrow was, what the fear was.

A soldier cried suddenly. He was pointing at a point at the horizon. I turned back and I saw it. The Northern Army had just reached the battlefield. I could clearly distinguish the halberds sparkling under the sun rays.
    They were nearly eighteen hundred foots (600 m ) far from us. They stopped.

- “No way”, I thought,
    “I’ve an army to defend, not to be slaughtered attacking those pikes and halberds. I won’t move.”

Anyway, I was between Rome and the Papal Northern Army, so I shouldn’t move. My soldiers were prepared, standing in the field, spears and shields in their hands.

I knew that Olivier was thinking like me, waiting for the best moment to charge the back of the pikemen and Papal guards.

Nothing happened. The foes general seemed to be wise and patient.
    One hour passed. We could just hear birds flying from one tree to another.
    Two hours passed. My soldiers started to be tired, standing under the heavy sun, with their mails coats. I tried to increase their moral by my speeches.
    Three hours passed. I was annoyed, I knew that I shouldn’t attack but my soldiers and I were eager to move, eager to finish what we were there for. I was also worrying a charge from the Crusaders knights from the woods. If they were doing so, the battle might be lost, because they were my main power, and I should use them like a surprise effect.

I was starting to launch the signal of the attack when we heard a loud horn.
    From the south.
    The Pope!

Any feedbacks my friends?
    It would be a pleasure to have your point of view on this DLV adventure.

XX chapters done, don't hesitate to comment...

La coupe est pleine

Still reading your aar with pleasure. I just don't have that many time on my hands to give good comments. Anyway how is Michel and Louis doing?

Quote Originally Posted by wvswem View Post
    Still reading your aar with pleasure. I just don't have that many time on my hands to give good comments. Anyway how is Michel and Louis doing?
    Thanks wvswem. It's always nice to read comments like yours.
    Since Philippe sailed to Rome, he didn't received lot of news from Michel and Louis. But I can assure you that they are fine in Paris and Reims. The only problem is that the Kingdom is in total revolution and it's quite dangerous to stay outside the cities. (Troops easily bribed, Flanders extremely aggressive, lots of rebels all around...) -> very interesting to play

Chapter XXI : A Pope Miracle

An de Grâce 1203 AC.
    Papal State.
    Somewhere around Rome.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Alexander was joining the battle with his own strengths. He was in the front of his army, with his sword, in a white steed. I wasn’t expecting that. He was more than 60 years old. I felt respectful of his courage.
    Few seconds later, we heard a roar of happiness from the Northern Army. They started to move toward us.

Aie! The two armies were trapping us between them. I had to think quickly about a plan. We would be dead men if I couldn’t find anything. My soldiers seemed also a little worried about that news.

I suddenly ordered.
    - “Let’s do a triangle, my friends. Let’s wait for them. Let’s show them the edge of our spears.”
    I said to the generals around me how to arrange the army, and the orders were quickly executed.

We placed the great cross I’ve brought from Zaragoza in the middle. It was a way to motivate the holy soldiers. This Cross was supposed having been erected in 100 AC in the Iberia Peninsula. My soldiers would protect it to the end.

I stayed in the middle of the triangle, which was more a “V” than a real triangle.

We were waiting for the clash, when a second horn rang out. The two armies stopped, they were now at 9 hundred foots (300 m) from us, they could almost use their crossbow to destroy us.
    However, they did nothing.
    And I saw what was happening. The Pope and his bodyguards tried to go round my army in order to reach the Northern Army, maybe to synchronize their attack, I guessed.

It was the key moment of the battle. I suddenly remembered that Olivier was just hidden at this point.
    The swine Alexander was riding just there, without more protection than his own bodyguards. I ordered one of my squires to sound the alarm.

Then it happened. We heard a loud noise and we saw a wave of spears, iron and swords rushing toward Alexander. It was a black wave, a wave of death.
    Alexander seemed totally surprised.
    It was too late for him to go back and he decided to charge, hoping to escape the trap.

I was eased. I knew that he had no chance. They were 6 crusader knights for each bodyguard. And the rest of the Papal armies were too far to reach him quickly enough.
    My soldiers roared of pleasure, provoking the poor Papal soldiers, who couldn’t do anything to save their master, watching his death, powerless.

The Crusaders would be merciless. Poor Alexander, I thought, waiting for the impact.

We heard the impact. It was terrifying. Spears were impaling horses and men together. Then the swords were taken out of their scabbard and the fight reached its height.
    Crusaders and bodyguards were slaughtered together.
    In few seconds, the Papal bodyguards were totally surrounded and the work seemed to be done perfectly.
    I was wondering if Alexander was killed during the charge, or if he has succeeded to avoid the spears.

I was still thinking about that when everybody saw a white stallion escaping from the Crusaders melee.
    Alexander!

Incroyable! This old swine had succeeded to escape the trap. He was alone; each of his bodyguards had been slain.

This bastard succeeded to flee and to reach a safe place behind his pikemen. The Crusaders rushed back to avoid the deadly pikes.

The hope had suddenly changed of side. The Papal soldiers saw their leader escape as a God sign. God was protecting his Earth messenger. They were delighted.
    Just the opposite of me and my soldiers…

Chapter XXII : Time for a duel

An de Grâce 1203 AC.
    Papal State.
    Somewhere around Rome.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

The Papal soldiers couldn’t wait anymore and charged. Two waves were rushing around us.
    The Papal cavalry, the last cavalry unit reached our spear-wall first.
    They succeeded to avoid the spears and charge the only unit of swordsmen I disposed in my army.

Just in front of me, I saw my soldiers crushed powerless against the cavalry.
    I was angry to see the fate of the battle which was escaping from my hands. I ordered some spearmen to replace the remaining swordsmen and to reverse the trend.

At the other side of my “V” formation, the Papal spearmen reached my lines. They charged my spearmen, who did the same.
    Spears were ready to pierce armors and bellies…

The melee was awful. Spearmen were dying and lying in the floor, pouring blood like rivers. They were courageous soldiers in each side. However, my spearmen had the advantage of a heavy mail coat, compared to the leather protection of the Papal spearmen.

I stayed with my bodyguards, watching how the battle was evolving. I saw my Crusader knights trying to avoid the crossbowmen range and the pikes edge. They seemed not to have suffered a lot of the ambush they have done. But they stayed useless, because the enemy was aware of them and used their pikemen to protect his back.

The heart of the battle was played around me. I shouted a lot, trying to embolden my French soldiers.
    My ”V” formation was still struggling in good order, but it was surrounded by foes now. With my bodyguards, I tried not to be outflanked by those sneaky Italians. Durandal was thirsty and the first blood appeared on its edge.

The Great Cross was still standing in the middle of our formation. My soldiers were finding great comfort, glancing at it when they could. They were protecting their God.
    As long as the Cross stayed behind us, they believed that God was still with them. I knew that if some foes succeeded to reach the Cross, the battle might be lost.

It was the battle of the faith. The morale was the key point.

The first pikemen reached my lines and were destructive. The little spears of my soldiers couldn’t cope with the great range of the pikes. The battle reached a height of blood and sweat...
    Each soldier was now fighting to avenge some of his friends, lying beside. Some stacks of dead were appearing, where the battle line occurred. Like a long dead snake in the field.

It was terrible...

However, those pikemen were doing deadly damages in the French rows, but they were pikemen less to defend their back against my cavalry, waiting the crucial moment.
    It didn’t last.

I saw Olivier, at the head of a group of Crusader, charging heroically the back of some pikemen, helping to disorganize their attack against my spearmen.

Lots of my Crusader knights found their death there, but the spearmen could take the opportunity to break the ranks of the pikemen and slaughter them, disorganized so powerless.

That moment, the battle could be won by each side. Everyone was waiting for a major key point. The Pope and I were two major key targets.

I was staying in the middle of my soldiers, trying to keep the formation, and killing some spearmen trying to outflank my soldiers.
    The Pope, him, had found the courage to fight again, urging his troops to fight again and again. I saw him behind my lines, fighting with some Crusader Knights.
    Like a devil, he killed one of them, then a second one, and a third one…

He seemed invincible. What the hell this elderly snake could find the strength to slay some of the most experienced knights? Was he really a Pope?

I shouted to my bodyguards:
    - “Mes amis, the hour has come to cut the head of the Hydra. Let’s charge this swine Alexander. Montjoie Saint Denis! “.

And we charged the Pope, risking to be killed.

But it was the moment to take the crucial advantage…

I remember that clearly. The pope was bloody. We could see some of his wounds under his mail coat. I remember his eyes, filled with blood, filled with anger.
    He saw us. He glanced at the battlefield. No Papal troops were near to protect him. He faced us, proudly.

I was like a fury. I had waited that moment since my youth, since the death of my father. I was ready for the final fight. I raised Durandal, and rode toward him.
    It was like the battle had stopped, like we were just two in the field.

It was the duel of the champions…

Last edited by la coupe est pleine; July 13, 2010 at 02:04 PM.

HbHadast's Avatar Civis

So... What happened?!!

I love your AAR

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Ah yes this AAR is so much fun to read on a slow day at work in summertime.
    +rep to you Monsieur La Coupe

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

Thank you so much my friends.
    What best than warm comments to help an (intermitent) writer to find courage and motivation... ?

HbHadast
    So... What happened?!!

I love your AAR
    Ah ah.
    Yeah I know that I'm a bastard to stop before the final fight with that swine Alexander.
    But don't worry, everything will come with the next update. Soon...
    Thanks for your support by the way.

Shadrach
    Ah yes this AAR is so much fun to read on a slow day at work in summertime.
    +rep to you Monsieur La Coupe
    I'm pleased to know that I participated to make your afternoon a little more enjoyable.
    I'm also working (5 km from the mediterranean Sea) for an internship and I can understand what means to work in summertime, during a slow day, when the sun is shining outdoor...
    Ah là là...

next chapter :
    Chapter XXIII : I can die in peace now…

Chapter XXIII : I can die in peace now...

An de Grâce 1203 AC.
    Papal State.
    Somewhere around Rome.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

My bodyguards understood that it was a private duel, and stayed behind me.
    The Pope advanced, his sword raised on his right hand.
    He shouted:
    - “Pourquoi? Why are you doing this massacre Philippe?”.

I couldn’t control my breath. My heart was almost exploding.
    - “You killed my father, you killed my friends, you are the worst criminal on Earth and I am going to stop the massacre”. I succeeded to cry.

- “Go in hell, French bastard! “. He finally cussed.

Our swords banged together. I felt the strength of his blow. How could an elderly man have strength like that? My fury was obscuring my view, but I reminded the fight skills I learned and I succeeded to avoid two terrible blows. He seemed as furious as me.
    But he failed his third one. I suddenly ducked in my steed and he missed me. He was unbalanced for a while and I took the opportunity to send him a powerful blow. He succeeded to fend off, but he was still unbalanced and his sword fell over the field.
    Alexander was defenseless.
    I saw in his eyes a feeling of panic when Durandal came back for the final blow. He was almost beheaded when he fell over the field, just near his sword.

My dreams were reality…

I started to weep slowly, thinking of my father, of my mother, still in the Holy lands.
    Alexander was dead now. The world could live peacefully.

I suddenly understood the roar of victory around me. My bodyguards, but also my soldiers in the battlefield, cried with happiness, raising their swords and spear. The Papal soldiers understood what had happened, and they lost their morale.
    It was like God had given up them.

Olivier and some Crusader Knights charged pikemen again and again. But this time, the pikemen were depressed. It was a real slaughter.

The great majority of the remaining Papal troops started to flee.
    However, the Papal guards were still fighting. They were proud and brave soldiers, ready to die with their leader. They were surrounded by all my troops but they fought heroically.
    The captain of these units was wearing a superb armor. He killed dozens of my French soldiers. He seemed invincible. The last Papal soldiers were gathering around him.

After several minutes of courageous fight, a treacherous axe found its way in his back. I was almost sorry to see his death. The death of a hero.
    He was the last man.

When he fell, the victory began to be feasted all around the battlefield.

Soldiers were delighted, but exhausted because of the long fight. It was twilight. We had fought 5 hours.

I rode alone in the battlefield to take care of the injuries, to talk with my generals, to take the time to realize what happened. I was wounded, I received several blow before to fight Alexander. But my wounds were not what interested me. I was focused about what to do next.
    Rome was mine…

Foulques arrived. He had stayed out of the battle. I ordered him to rush in Rome to take the city before the night came.

The victory was mine. We lost lot of French soldiers that day. But their deaths were not useless. I ordered to raise a church in this field, to commemorate the battle and pay homage to the friends laying there for the eternity.

I ordered to prepare the camp for the night. I was still like in a dream. I was wandering amongst my soldiers. They were happy, congratulating me, ready to celebrate the victory with large amounts of wine and beer.
    I finally succeeded to come back to the reality. And the problems were rising in front of me.

What about the Kingdom of France now?
    What about Louis and Michel? They will surely react.
    What about my “wife” Clara, and the Kingdom of Spain?
    What about my army and my soldiers?
    What about me, the heir of the kingdom?

Definitely, the real world will react to the death of their spiritual leader. But the victims hadn’t been decided yet, and everybody in Europe would try to take advantage of that.

I had to react quickly. I shouldn’t wait that the Christians Kings decided to make me the “enemy number one of the Christendom”.
    I should use the new strength ratio in my advantage, or flee forever far away.

The news of the death of the Pope should be sent in every Kingdom courts within weeks.

I would be hunted by inquisitors soon if I stayed there. I saw two only ways to save my life from the fire:
    Destroy any Papal authority or choose myself the new Pope and made him my ally with bribes.

I couldn’t decide what to do without entering Rome and taking account of the context, of the current situation. Rome was defenseless. I should enter the “eternal city” tomorrow, like Caesar himself, in a chariot.
    I will cross the Rubicon and make my legend.

Alea Jacta Est, I thought.
    My fate will be full of glory or I will be considered as the worst betrayer since Juda. There were no other ways.

Let’s capture Rome…

Last edited by la coupe est pleine; July 16, 2010 at 12:40 PM.

Italian Campaign (Part II)
    Chapter XXIV : Disgraceful massacre !

An de Grâce 1203 AC.
    Papal State.
    Rome.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’ve killed the Pope myself, and by the way avenged my natural father.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

It is my elder “brother”, and the King of France.

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

I slept badly that night. I was totally excited, waiting for the future, waiting for the reaction of the Kingdoms.

The following day, when we reached the Gate of Rome, I was impressed by the size of this city. I can guess that hordes of heroes had lived there. It was the starting point from where so many glorious conquests had been made.
    Foulques had arrived in the city the day before, and he had taken by strength the key buildings.

However, I instantly understood that some things went wrong. Italian people of the city were gathered all along the way I was taking to reach the center of the town. My way was protected by a lot of Crusaders and heavy infantry. The Romans seemed angry. Some of them tried to throw me some cobblestones.
    It was not at all the triumph I was expecting.

I decided to stop the “celebrations” and rode quickly to the court. I gathered my generals and met Foulques. He had a sad and exhausted face.

- “What happened?” I shouted, staring at him.

- “People of the city were waiting for us last night, and they made some traps to ambush us. We didn’t know the town and they succeeded to hit us without we could react and find those bastards leaders. I’ve lost nearly two hundreds men. We have found their corpses this morning. They had been tortured and mutilated.
    I preferred to hide them from the rest of the army. The city could be rioting again soon…”.
    He replied, his head bent.

I took Durandal in my hand. I was furious. Those bastards were thinking that they could mutilate my soldiers for free!
    They should pay for that affront.
    I couldn’t be chivalric and merciful anymore. They were no other options left. I should prove my power and show to the world that I should be considered as a leader. I should show that nobody, even the Pope, could try to menace me safely.

I ordered the massacre of the people. Within a day, the butchery was finished. I let no-one alive. Babies and wives, elder people and little girls. Nobody except some insane people and prisoners succeeded to escape the city. It was the rule.
    The world will know soon that after the murder of the Pope, his capital had been literally exterminated.

I would have time to be chivalric later. It was real policy just now.
    I ordered to take some of the countryside people and repopulate the city.

Within few weeks, the city started again to be lively. Merchants arrived. Little shops opened. I kept in my power the law and decisions buildings and areas. Even some foreigner’s diplomats and princess came in the new court I had opened there.
    We waited there during the next two months.

Some of my spies warned me that the last strengths of the Papal States were gathering in the South. They could soon menace us. They were very heavy infantry and my Crusader’s cavalry has suffered huge losses during the last battle.
    However, I had no choice. I should erase the Papal States from the world, because they are now my best and worst enemies. And I should do that before any other Christendom Kingdom, or even Norbert or my “family” members stopped me from doing that.

The days were dark for me, but nothing was lost and I could recover the strength I had let in Zaragoza and Pamplona with a little of cunning.
    I spent some long hours walking in the empty streets of Rome, thinking of a master-plan to save my fate, well protected by my bodyguards. Rome wasn’t still very well secured and we could expect everything until the South Papal Army wasn’t destroyed.

During those dark times, some news helped me find new confidence in myself and my men. One was concerning Olivier.
    There was at our court one of the princess who had the courage to stay in Rome, a Hungarian one, and I must admit, one of the most beautiful girls I’ve met since Hélène. She was named Margit Arpadhazi. She could speak Hungarian, French and also Deutsh, and was only 25. She seemed so cultured and I wish I would have more time to spend with her.
    However, reports of my spies and diplomats kept me out of her, unfortunately.

The things happened that she finally spent a lot of time with Olivier, my faithful cavalry general. At the end, she even tried to seduce him, and succeeded. Olivier was often telling me what she said to him. He was pleased but a little suspicious.
    I was quite jealous of his success, but I kept listening at him, like a good confident.

One night, he arrived in my quarters, with a great smile. He explained me that Margit whishes to marry him, but that he should go to the Hungarian court and leave the French army forever.
    I was stunned. I asked him if he agreed. He said me that not yet.

That moment, I was extremely jealous. But I didn’t want let him, and also her, going away. I prayed him:

- “Olivier,
    My loyal friend, my famous general.
    You know that all of what we have done together was a complete success. We have nearly reached our goal to free our Kingdom from the ring of enemies around its neck. We have killed the master of the coalition: The swine Alexander.
    There is just one army which stopped us to win the last victory.

Olivier.
    You have to choose between your country and your love.
    Don’t let your men leaderless. They need your experience and are proud to fight under your lead.
    I’m proud to fight beside you Oliver.

I see a solution. Try to convince your love to stay with us. Try to convince her that we are promised to a famous and glorious fate.

Olivier.
    I’m the heir of the Kingdom and I can assure that your loyalty will never be forgotten. Your children will grow with the best tutors of the French Court. Your wife will be protected by our best bodyguards, and you will have great responsibilities.
    I can assure you that.

Olivier.
    Go to convince her, I have confidence on you.

He nodded. Once again, I seemed to convince him. He said he will never forget the Kingdom he was born in, and will try everything he could to stay besides me.

One week after, we were finishing making the preparations when Olivier came to me, Margit beside him, blinding of beauty. They were smiling, and Olivier said me, proudly:
    - “Philippe, my lord, Margit and I have decided to stay with you in order to finish our mission to protect the French Kingdom.”

I warmly congratulated them, even if when I kissed Margit, I couldn’t stop thinking it should be me beside her, breathing her perfume, touching her long blond hair.
    One moment, I even feared that she noticed something, starring at me when I was hugging my old friend.

I tried to avoid her during all the way we did to join the south of the country. I let some of my soldiers in Rome, to keep the city secured.

The travel took us more than a week. My scouts reported me that the foe’s army was just standing in a valley. They said me that they were trying to reach the North. I decided to stop and try to ambush them. I had to use all the tricks because the cream of the Papal Guard, firmly resolute to avenge their dead leader, constituted the bulk of this army, and surely outnumbered us.

The morning of a warm day of September, our scouts rushed crying that they were just half an hour far from us. I was pleased, but stayed on my guards. The last battle of the Papal States should happen today.

I had to take the opportunity…

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Terrible news about that massacre of Romans, but really sometimes a leaders gotta do what a leaders gotta do to keep order

Still loving the AAR, in fact its even better now that its raining here; I don't feel bad about having to "work"

And princess Margit falling in love with a French prince, ah well you can't blame her, those French are such romantics. Ah c'est l'Amour!

Also it seems to me there must be a bug with AI pathfinding at that point in the mountains east of Rome, I've had the same Papal full stack army standing there for 100 years now, on MY lands (I'm Hungary) and not showing any sign of moving, and unlike you I have *no* intention of attacking the Papacy
    Last edited by Shadrach; July 19, 2010 at 06:57 AM.

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

Hey Shadrach
    I can assure you that I didn't see any rain since more than one month and some times, it's quite disappointing. I'm not used with that much sun.

About the french lovers, yeah, you are definitely right. Try some poetry with the girls and they will fall in love like leaves...
    Anyway, it was the first time since I play DLV that I saw this message and it made me laugh. Usually, there are my princess to fall in love. It is what happened at the beginning of the story with Constance and an english prince (quite weird indeed )...

About the AI path finding. I don't know because I attacked them without waiting their reaction.

Here is the battle update.. by the way.

Thanks for your interesting comments my friend.

Chapter XXV : The last papal battle.

An de Grâce 1203 AC.
    Papal State.
    South countryside of Rome.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

The Papal Army was led by two Roman nobles and the main general was Urbanus V de Avena. I’ve previously heard about that famous Aristocrat.
    He had become famous ten years ago by slaughtering two thousand peasants in the Apennines’s mountains. These peasants had refused to pay the tithe. He seemed to be quite faithful and dreadful.
    Just the exact type of people I enjoy killing. It will be a pleasure Urbanus.

The only problem is that his strengths outnumbered us largely.

If they had the advantage of the number, they also had the advantage of the quality.
    Their thousands of Papal Guards were superior to my strong Crusaders Spearmen. Their cavalry was quite good and numerous. However I could count on my veteran Crusader Knights who were my main weapon.
    To finish, there were some Halberd’s militia, and some Paves’ Crossbowman.

To conclude, it was the best army I’ve ever fought. The battle was expected to be hard and bloody.

I quickly disposed my army on the field, ordering them to hide behind the bushes. I tried to motivate my troops, telling them that it was their last battle before coming back and meet their families.

My soldiers were experimented, and knew that the Papal Guards were not to take as a joke. They seriously listened to my advices and hid themselves, waiting for the clash.

With Olivier and my main generals, we had decided to hide the cavalry behind our spearmen. We would like to take the opportunity given by the surprise effect. Once our army would be discovered, they should try to get around the foes, or to avoid that the Papal cavalry do the same.

Waiting for the start of the battle, we were silent. We could hear the walk of the numerous foes, hammering the floor with a quick rhythm. Apparently, Urbanus wasn’t expecting us.

Suddenly, the first group of Crusader spearmen started to roar. They ran toward the foes, surprised. The rest of the army stood up and did the same.

The enemies’ spearmen weren’t prepared, but quickly organized for the battle.
    The first answer was the one of the Papal Cavalry. They were at our left wing and charged our left group of spearmen. The courageous Crusader ran, fearless.

The crash between lances and spear boomed like a thunder. I winced, sad for my heroic soldiers, hoping that some of the Papal knights had been impaled painfully.

I was just behind the main line of Crusaders spearmen. I could clearly see the huge amount of Papal Guards rushing to pierce a hole across my troops. It was like a Papal wave trying to devour the thin last rampart of red crosses.

It was breathtaking…

I was motionless, contemplating the scene, when I heard behind me the horn of the defenders of the Great Cross, still brought with us. They were attacked by Papal Knights. There was a massacre around the Holy Cross.

I hesitated to help them but I realized that they were fighting brilliantly and my presence was required at the height of the battle to sustain my brave spearmen.

Indeed, the battle was tough and it was a real struggle. My spearmen started to be submerged and rivers of blood were flowing across the field. Papal Guards were fierce warriors, but they were also humans and they also counted huge casualties.

That moment was crucial !

Chapter XXVI : Snake of death.

An de Grâce 1203 AC.
    Papal State.
    South countryside of Rome.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

That moment, I still didn’t know where Olivier and his Crusader knights were. Probably fighting at the wings against the Papal cavalry.

I suddenly saw Urbanus charging in front of me, behind his troops line, and trying to engage a close fight with my own bodyguards.
    I wasn’t expecting that. I quickly raised Durandal out of its scabbard and ordered my men to charge the merciless Urbanus. The first moments were furious. I remember fighting with an old Italian bodyguard. His armor was well decorated. He should have been a count at least. I avoided his blows and succeeded to cut his left arm. He cried, blood flooding, and he didn’t see one of my own bodyguards hammering his sword in his back. The brave Italian felt and was soon crushed by the heavy war steed.
    My bodyguard helped me to avoid the center of the fight and protected me until I was in a safer position. Then, I saw Urbanus, fighting in the melee, with his last bodyguards. Despite his strength and bravery, he couldn’t resist to the linked forces of my bodyguards and spearmen.
    He was slain at the end, and I was still alive.

The news started to spread in our lines, and helped some desperate spearmen to release their last strengths in the battle.
    The best example was that of my axmen who were surrounded by Papal Guards and halberd militia. They stood up and fought in a blood bath. The ferocity had reached its height.

The trigger came from Olivier. I was fighting against dangerous spearmen when I heard his horn. He had finally succeeded to reach the back of the enemy lines and was starting to charge. It was the best news I could have heard. The trend had been reversed and it was a matter of time now.

The fight between death and life was still played. The only difference is that cavalry had entered the death circle now. It was a real butchery. Even when I did some slaughters in Pamplona or near Zaragoza, it wasn’t that hard.
    Flesh, blood, bones and steel were mixed together. Pain and screams were the product released. I felt disgusted and guilty.

But there were the rules of War. Everybody knew that.
    Some of my soldiers were still making some heroic actions. I remember my only unit of swordsmen dismounting a mailed knight, at the risk of their life, before to slain him on the floor.

Thanks to Olivier’s efforts, the battle quickly ended. The last fighters of the elite Papal Guards were surrounded by a wall of Red Cross shields. They refused to surrender, and were executed.
    They were the last warriors of a Kingdom.

My heroic warriors were exhausted. They had fought four hours under the sun. I was also dried out.
    The spearmen were still there, but they were few now. A lot had been wounded, and a great part slain by those bastards Italian. I appreciated their bravery, but I preferred them lying on the ground that with a spear in their fist.

There was a sea of dead. The meadows had been bloodied by French and Italians swords and spears. I could clearly distinguish a giant snake of death across the field.
    It was a terrible sight.

That evening, I dreamt of living in another world. In the world of my youth. In the world of my dreams. I was wishing to join Hélène.
    And lay in peace forever...

Anyway.
    The victory was mine, once again.
    But it was a Pyrrhus victory. More than the half of my strengths was dead. I couldn’t have fought another fight. I needed to breathe now.
    And I was allowed, because no Papal soldier was remaining.

We were a decimated army from now on.

It was time to open a new door, without knowing anything behind…

Italian Campaign (Part III)
    Chapter XXVII : Gregorius X.

An de Grâce 1204 AC.
    Papal States.
    Tiber.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m 24 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.
    I’ve killed the Pope myself, and destroyed the entire Papal States.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Maybe because of that, he decided to be a rebel in order to steal his father’s crown, and had finally been thrown by Louis in the Paris dungeon.

Clara.
    "Wife"

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He is from now on my “compagnon d’armes”.

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

We spent 3 days celebrating and looking after the wounded. The weather was very warm for the season. I took the time to relax and to decide what should be done. I sent some messengers to Rome, in order to make them aware of the current situation.

When the messengers came back, I saw them and asked if everything went right in the city. They replied me that everything was nice, but that there was a bit of a problem.
    I frowned.

- “Quoi”, I said, “What is the new problem? I hope you are not wasting my time with little things.”

- “No my lord” the first messenger replied, “the thing is that the cardinals had gathered and they have elected a new Pope”.

- “And after?” I asked. “Were you thinking they wouldn’t do that? It doesn’t surprise me. The thing is that we have to take care about the fact that the new Pope will be friendlier with our Kingdom.”

- “Eh bien,” the second messenger announced, “The cardinals had succeeded to enter Rome and elect the Pope in the Cathedral St Pierre. The Pope is currently in the countryside of the Papal States, but we hadn’t found him yet.”

- “What?” I burst with anger. “The Pope is provoking me here, when I’m just decimating his last army. I can’t believe it. What is his name?”

The third messenger took his breath and said quickly:
    - “He is Gregorius X and he is an English cardinal.”

It was too much for me.
    - “An English? I’m sure he had already called a Crusade against the Kingdom isn’t it? It’s amazing.”
    I was stunned.

- “No”, the first messenger said. “He has not done anything yet, but some rumors spread that he wants you and Louis to be killed as soon as possible. He is said to be one of the best friends of the English King.”

I took a deep deep breath.
    - “Eh bien, we have just to rush and make this piggy English silent.”

This news was bad, but I had the possibility to react quickly and eliminate the devil as soon as possible. I asked Olivier to come. I explained him the situation. He agreed with the fact that this new Pope was not good at all, but was a little reluctant to slay him like Alexander. Moreover, he explained me that the men wanted to go back to the Kingdom. The last battle had been butchery and they didn’t want to see some more blood again.

I understood that the men would like to come back, but I faced a new difficult situation. I should maintain order in Rome, and it was difficult without any troops. I wouldn’t try to hire some mercenaries, because I didn’t have any money, and didn’t trust them. They could easily capture me and ask for a ransom.

I decided to call my generals and to implement a plan. After tough negotiations, we agreed to keep the troops during the all winter, and that they would sail back in April. I thought it would let me sufficient time to achieve my plans.

Now, I should deal with Gregorius as soon as possible. I took the decision to track him with my spies and then to kill him in personal fight, in order to show the Christendom that no-one could make laugh about me, nor asking for my dead head.

I was very disappointed. How could I reach the calm I was waiting for if each time another man raise against me and want to see me dead? I was just hoping that Gregorius blood would be the last one to dry on Durandal.

I was hoping for peace.
    Blood was the only way…

My spies took 2 months to find him. He was near the Tiber, not far from the city. The problem was that he was protected by a little troop of skilled English knights, who had sworn fidelity to the new Pope. They would sacrifice their lives to protect him.

I took the hard decision to meet him with my own bodyguards. I would like to impress the Christendom. Either I would kill him or my friends and I would kill him and his English pigs.

Around the beginning of December, I joined the Tiber and forced the Pope to fight with me. Despite the efforts of my diplomats, Gregorius refused to fight a duel with me. He had heard about my previous victories and relied upon his English friends to save his 57 years old skin.
    Anyway, I decided not to wait and to engage the fight.

They were more knights with the Pope than me and my friend’s bodyguards, but I thought that we could rely on our experience and strength.
    How could an elderly people defend himself against the flower of the youth?

Italian Campaign (Part III)
    Chapter XXVIII : Depressive victory.

An de Grâce 1204 AC.
    Papal States.
    Tiber.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.

I’m 24 years old and I am the Heir of the Kingdom, after the death of my father.
    I’ve killed the Pope myself, and destroyed the entire Papal States.

Louis the Merciless.
    KING of the Kingdom.
    "Brother"

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Maybe because of that, he decided to be a rebel in order to steal his father’s crown, and had finally been thrown by Louis in the Paris dungeon.

Clara.
    "Wife"

Charles de Bouillon.
    "Friend"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He is from now on my “compagnon d’armes”.

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

The Pope decided to stand on the North side of the Tiber. The Tiber was not really high and powerful this year. I advanced in front of the Pope.

The weather was very bad. The wind was powerful and a terrible storm was expected to happen. My friends were confident of our strength, because they had seen the death of the previous Pope.

I stopped and shouted.
    - “Gregorius, bastard English. Do you fear to fight against me? Maybe it is more easy to ask for my head when I’m far away? If you want some tissues to clean your wet pants, I’ve brought some with me.
    I’m just sorry that because of your madness, your kind English friends will disappear with you in hell.”

The Pope stayed silent, hidden and protected behind his English knights. I just heard the rain which was starting.

I raised Durandal and launched the charge. We were already wet so the Tiber didn’t refresh us anymore. I feared one moment that the current was too powerful but we finally all reached the other side. The Pope side.

Thanks to our powerful charge, we broke through the enemy lines. The real fight could begin.

I searched for Gregorius but I was blind because of the strong rain, slapping my eyes. I soon understood that I was in the middle of seven English knights. I received a severe blow in my back, missing to lose Durandal. I was injured but my armor had protected me. I cried, turning back to find the coward.

I waved my arms around me and started a furious fight with the foes surrounding me. They tried to avoid my sword but two of them felt, dead or severely injured at the head. I tried to slain a third one but he anticipated my movement and protected him with his shield, which burst because of the impact.
    I tried to attack him again but he rushed back and a new knight took his place. I heard my friends calling from me and it helps me to fight again and more accurately this time.
    I waved my arms again and finally tried to decapitate him with a single blow.

His friends, impressed, moved back for a while, and it was enough time for some of my friends to come and protect me. Once again, I was safe and saved.
    However, my back was very painful and I suddenly had difficulties to move.

The fight was going well. As expected, the experience of my “frères d’armes” was determinant. Once again, the quality was better than the quantity.
    Olivier was fighting in front of me. He was like a devil. His sword smashed English skulls and bones without any mercy.

Suddenly, we heard a scream. It was an unusual scream. The scream of an old man. The scream of Gregorius.
    The Pope had been stricken by a sword, and it was too much for his old body. The time seemed to stop. The Pope was still in his steed. His sword felt. He glazed at the other knights remaining. The rain was pouring on his wound, mixing blood and water.
    And the old man felt, like a puppet, motionless.

It was the end. I wasn’t the murderer, but it was like I was responsible for the death of the second Pope. Who could say the same? I guessed, glancing at the end of the fight.

The three remaining English knights understood a little late that the thunderstorm wasn’t God’s one, and that he wasn’t there to petrify me by a single lightning, as should have said Gregorius.

They started to flee, as English sheeps without leader.

The area was full of horses and knights corpses. It was distressing. What a painful view to see proud and chivalric warriors lying on the mud. I recognized some of my old friends, having sent their lives for the eternity.

Some tears appeared at the corner of my eyes. I didn’t know if it was my fault or my fate. My friends died because of their loyalty to me and my feelings. I shouldn’t fail and prove them that I will be worthy of their loyalty, of their sacrifice.
    I promised to build a great Cross to honor them in that place.
    “The place where men stood up against the tyranny”.

I lost thirteen of my closed friends that day. It will never happen again, I hoped.

The travel to come back to Rome was sad and respectful of our dead. Olivier also was also deeply concerned. When we arrived in Rome, the news had spread about the death of the new Pope. My soldiers were still loyal to me, but they feared me more than never and it was clear that they wished to leave my criminal lead.

Ah! Happiness. You seem to be far away.
    Could really a leader be happy?

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Oh when will the slaughter of holy men stop, when!

If the average age of popes was the same back in those days its a wonder they could even get on a horse, let alone in full plate armor

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach View Post
    Oh when will the slaughter of holy men stop, when!

If the average age of popes was the same back in those days its a wonder they could even get on a horse, let alone in full plate armor
    Eh eh....
    Yes, it is a little strange to see the medieval popes fighting like knights. I took some long time thinking about it, if I should keep the reality of history or innovate with warrior popes and I made my choice.

I hope it doesn't sound too strange for you.

I'm sorry to say that the Pope massacre is going to end.
    No more english pope to slay...