Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

Default Re: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

English Campaign (Part VI)
    Chapter CV : Moi, Philippe, Roi de France

An de Grâce 1218 AC.
    Kingdom of France.
    Ile de France.

!!!Medieval Music to listen!!!
    Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    King of the Kingdom.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Philippe Capet, adoptive son of the French King. However, my real name is Muhammad Sahadeddine. I’ve been adopted because of an amazing coincidence. I hoped to become a hero of Chivalry, and help the poor and the orphans.
    I know, I’ve read a lot of hero stories, but I was a dreamer…
    I’m 38 years old.
    I’ve killed the Pope myself, and destroyed the entire Papal States.
    Back in France, I became the rightful ruler of the Iberian part of the Kingdom.
    I raised some loyal troops and assaulted Paris and Louis. We had a battle, I lost my left hand and finally fought him during the Ordalie in Paris and won the crown.
    I'm the new unofficial King of France.
    I destroyed the flemish Duchy, punishing them for the murder of Philippe Auguste.
    I suceeded to capture Michel and Charles who rebelled during the Paris Siege.
    I killed Louis in the Dungeon and wait for victories in order to announce his death, and celebrate my crowning.

Michel.
    "Brother"

It is my second “brother”. He is one year and a half more than me.
    We were very good friends during our childhood, but it seems that these happy times are over.
    Michel was for long the unofficial leader of the Kingdom and ordered my death.
    When I came back in Paris and defeated Louis, he accepted my lead, but didn't lose time to betray me with Charles, making an alliance with the english, and offering them Dijon and Metz.
    He is a nightmare, but I captured him and threw him in the Dungeon, and exiled him in Ireland, in the dark fortress of Galway.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

It is the first son of the king Louis the Merciless.
    He was supposed to be the rightful heir but because of Michel plans, I’ve stolen him the title.
    He rebelled against Louis and was thrown in the Dungeon. After being reconciled, he met me, and I agreed to let him the lead of Metz. However, that little snake made a deal with Michel and sided with the english hawks to kill me.
    Unfortunately for him, I captured the bad guy and threw him in the Dungeon, next to his father and uncle, before to sell him as a slave in North Africa.

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I’m now considered as a real noble and I’m a little more protected against the anger of Louis.
    She is definitely ugly and I absolutely don’t want to sleep with her.
    The problem is that she deeply loves me.
    Despite the nightmares, I made her pregnant and let her in Zaragoza. She gave birth to Philip, my first son.

Margit.
    "Secret love"

She is my deep love. Nobody knows that, even my close friends.
    She is beautiful and clever. She is a Hungarian princess.
    Now that the problems had been solved with Olivier, I spent wonderful times with her.
    She has given birth to our children: Raoul, Sibylle and Colin.

Philip.
    "First Son"

Philip is my first son, consequence of a horrible night I succeeded to spend with Clara. After being fat, he grew up better and seems ready to be the Heir of the Kingdom. However, I fear sometimes some petty behavior, flattering myself in order to take advantage of his privileged situation.

Raoul.
    "Second son"

Raoul is my second son, and the first I had with Margit. He is my Jewel, because he seems much more natural and calm than Philip.
    What a shame he is seen like a bastard, and can’t be my Heir. It would have surely been the best option.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who just taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I’m the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He was sending me Michel orders.
    He killed my dear friend Charles de Bouillon and try to slay me.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He was one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    Moreover, he is very clever and he helped me to convince the army that the Pope Alexander was an enemy.
    After some love problems we finally overcome, he is from now on my "compagnon d'arme".
    He saved my life twice, and was severely wounded by an arrow during the Ordalie.
    He is in the Holy Lands, in order to be cured by the best doctors.

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin is a local noble from brittany, who became the governor of Pamplona. He believed in my dream to found a new Kingdom and he became one of my close friends. He helped me more than everyone else to build an alternate Kingdom in the Iberian Peninsula.
    From now on, he is leading my troops at my side, and learns to enjoy the reality of war.

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Arnoul is my best personal spy.
    He was previously spying for Philippe Auguste, my father. He is extremely experimented and played a key role in my chess game against Louis and Michel. This guy saved me when I was the prisoner of Baudouin, waiting for my death...

Jacques d'Orléans
    "Priest"

Jacques is a Templar. After years spent in the Iberian Peninsula, fighting heretics and trying to convert them, he had been promoted leader of the Paris Templar garrison. I met him during the Paris siege and he fought well beside me.
    He is from now on one of my friends, helping and advising me during my English Campaign.
    He had been granted the title of Cardinal, but unfortunately missed to be elected Pope.

Dead Heroes...

Philippe Auguste the Chivalrous.
    DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

He was my adoptive father, but also the French King.
    He loved the Chivalric Code, and enjoyed good tournaments. He was a wise ruler and French people liked him a lot.
    He died in battle, against Flanders, trying to defend Paris.

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Charles was the governor of Toulouse citadel and then the governor of Zaragoza.
    Charles was my only real “friend”. He liked me and I could trust him.
    He was not a warrior, but he was a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.
    He had saved me from Louis’s sword.
    He had finally been killed by that bastard Norbert when I was away in Italy...

Louis the Malevolent.
    KILLED in the Dungeon.
    "Brother"

It was my elder “brother”, and the King of France.
    He was a very skilled and fearful warrior. He could be qualified as a “butcher”.
    He was my worst enemy since he raped and killed my first love Hélène.
    He engaged the battle against me near Paris, and lost. However, he suceeded to flee but we faced in Paris and he lost the Ordalie.
    For some years, he was no more than a destitute king, without hands and bowls, prisoner in the Louvre dungeon. I finnaly took the decision and killed him, in the darkness of his cell.

As expected, I wasn’t spared by the news.
    After Zaragoza, the pest occurred in Bruges, and was said to be brought by some slave merchants from the Eastern steppes. People thought the Lord had given up the Kingdom. I was angry against such a widespread stupidity.

It wouldn’t have been such a problem if I had some funds to raise hospitals and Hospitalist abbeys. I was bankrupt, because of the massive troops I was forced to maintain. I couldn’t disband and release them in the countryside, knowing that they would surely loot the unfortunate peasants, or offering their help to the English.

My advisors were worried about the financial state of the Kingdom, after such an effort made to reunite the French lands. The economical level was decreasing, and the merchants didn’t make as much benefits as before.

Benoit de Vexin remembered me very well how the fate of the Kingdom was linked with the trade and export of goods. I still remind his hoarse voice repeating:
    “Money is the sinews of war, and trade is the mother of money…”
    This guy annoyed me so much but he opened my eyes on the hidden roots of victory.

The Germans kept attacking our borders with raiding troops, ravaging the countryside, and disappearing soon after.

The worst news came when a tired man entered the Court, claiming he was one of my generals. I was talking about a new economic tax law to increase the royal treasure when I heard the words of this guy, asking for meeting me.
    I knew that voice and turned my head. He was one of the generals I tasked with the mission to imprison Michel in Galway, two years ago. I ordered the man to be brought in front of me.
    I knew that something went wrong.

For 2 years, no news reached the Royal Court, concerning that mission, and everybody suspected the fleet having sunk in the Channel. I, first of them.
    However, it wasn’t true and the general, named Richard, explained me and my advisors the truth.

- “All went right during the trip across the Channel. There were no pirate fleets, nor Normand ones.

When we went past Cornwall, an entire fleet without any flag ambushed us, and we had to sacrifice ten of our good cogs to protect the rest of the fleet. The most loyal troops were amongst them and I don’t know if they succeeded to flee or stay alive.

We continued to Ireland under the orders of Philibert, since the admiral stayed with the rear guard. Just before to arrive near Galway, we were warmed by some Merchants little ships that a grand English armada was waiting for us. Philibert took the decision to disembark and do the trip across the Irish lands.

Unfortunately, it didn’t work well. I was one of the first to disembark with the vanguard, when I understood that something went wrong amongst the fleet. The ship where was imprisoned Michel suddenly turned back and sailed North with some dozens cogs along.
    I watched the admiral vessel organizing the hunt with the rest of the fleet. Unfortunately, the wind was from the East and pushed the ships offshore.

I waited for months the fleet to come back but no ship was noticed, even from Cork to Galway. As the English are currently fighting against our Irish allies, I took part of some skirmishes and then came back to France, with those sad new.

I don’t know what happened to Michel, and Philibert… Where are they? Are they still alive?
    Some storms often happened those summer months in open sea. One of my men found some wood plank coming from a ship three months after that betrayal. We don’t know if it came from a French ship…

I’m sorry to announce you that fail. We did all our best to achieve it, but I fear that we are not more than a handful of sailors to tell the same story.
    Désolé my lord…

A long silent time occurred, as my mind was lost in the Ocean, sailing with Michel, suffering the storms…
    After a while, I finally came back to the reality and announced, slowly:
    - “Bien,
    Maybe it is better like that. The Ocean had been the last dungeon of Michel and he got lost there. May the Lord take care of his troubled soul…

Please make sure that this information will be kept secret from the People. I don’t want any trouble. What happened is done and over now…

Michel was no more a threat, and I knew that it was better than be worried about a possible come back from the Irish cells.

I sighed with weariness when coming back to my apartments.
    Michel was an enemy but still a man who was linked with my youth.

I had lost a brother that day…

The weeks flashed past and as I was preparing for the last English campaign. I sent some trusted generals to the South to secure as much as possible the situation against the traitors Spanish, when I was gathering my soldiers in Paris. My advisors strongly motivated me to act quickly. I knew that the best was to make and build my destiny, better than undergo it.

It was time to be the official King. It was time to trigger a new beginning.
    My son Philip was almost 16, ready to become a knight, and it was clear that he would also become the Heir. I didn’t have sufficient time to assess his skills but I knew it could help to solve the Spanish troubles, given that Philip was the grandson of the Spanish King.

Moreover, to be the official King would help to stop the rebellions happening all over the Kingdom since the English attacks, and forced people to admit and recognize my power and authority. I couldn’t continue to behave like the Dauphin, laughing about the destitute King Louis.

Jacques proposed an appropriated plan.
    In order to win definitely the support of the Kingdom people before to be crowned, I needed to win an outstanding victory, and to show that I would protect the Christian faith, contrary to my previous behavior. Indeed, people were still worried about my origins, most particularly in the countryside. I should change it.

We decided with Jacques to take opportunity of the betrayal of some local noble from the Anjou border, and win a victory against him. The originality of that plan was that I was leading an army which was only compound of Christian soldiers: The Templar.

Jacques, the Grand Master of the Order, came with me. The local lord, named Rene, succeeded to gather some important troops, but he was clearly lacking some experienced men, and some cavalry.

I didn’t take the risk to ask for surrender. I sounded the battle horns as soon as my scouts found Rene’s army camp. I needed to fight.

The rebels hid themselves in the nearby wood. I ordered the Templar foot spearmen to prepare an ambush at my left side, and I moved forward with my “Invicible 50” lances, and the Templar Knights cavalry detachment, led by Jacques.

We were in the middle of the plain, and I stupidly thought I could lure the rebels.

Indeed, they didn’t attack us in such an open field. Hopefully for them, because my Templar spearmen were waiting hungrily the first rebels who would dare to adventure forward.

Nevertheless, it didn’t change the expected outcome.
    The massacre…

Annoyed by such a long wait, I ordered the charge. After all, we were the “Invicible 50”.
    Indeed we were.

We charged through the woods, and despite the little traps prepared by Rene and his peasant troops, they didn’t succeed to stop us. We crushed them without mercy.

It was the rule. I needed to be crowded as a victor.
    I did it. We only lost 28 men, mostly Templar who didn’t listen to the orders to keep away from the melee.

As planned, that battle rang out amongst the Kingdom as a direct proof of my Royal fate, and the people forgot their troubles to celebrate. The most impressionable people soon believed I came from Heaven, send by the Lord to protect and develop the French Kingdom. The less naïve had to admit that my war skills were higher than anybody else in the Kingdom, and that it could allow me a place on the throne.

Ah, what a brilliant Crown celebration I did. I went to Rheims, like Clovis and Charlemagne, to receive the beautiful jewel on my head.

Those weeks of celebrations and banquets, I lived in another world and forgot all the internal problems I had to face. I spent a whole night contemplating the Charlemagne crown, thinking about the battles, the fights it had seen and took part. That holy crown had already travelled so much, did 2 Crusades, fought all over Europe.

Ah, the great banquets we did. I spent the last money of the Kingdom but it worth it.
    All the money of the world would surely worth the unity of a Kingdom and my crowning was building it.

I was the “Roi Philippe”. I lied to the people saying that the old King Louis died peacefully. They believed me, and I made a fake funeral, with the corpse of one of the beggars found dead in the dirty streets of Paris.
    I kept Durandal. I thought I would give that jewel up in order to take Joyeuse, but I finally couldn’t accept to leave it.
    Durandal was part of my youth, part of my imagination, part of my fights…
    Durandal was the friend of my last hand, the friend of my power, the friend of my will…

Yes, Durandal was mine. Forever.

I took the opportunity to proclaim Philip my official heir during the crowning.

- “I will follow your steps father, in order to increase the French power and show that we don’t need the agreement of the Pope to be feared and respected” was the sentence Philip was repeating again and again.
    I wished it could be true…

Philip was objectively a common noble, even if the rightful descendant of the Royal Spanish Family. However, during the rare times I was talking with him, I felt like he was behaving as a courtier, and not as a son… Margit convinced me that he was surely impressed by me.
    I believed her.

I believed my family would be the starting point of a new dynasty.
    I believed of an impossible rebirth…

Soon enough, and in order to show my first son the kind gestures I had for him, I appointed him Lord High Marshall and Lord High Steward of the Kingdom. There were two well known and much sought after titles.

Moreover, I would like my son Philip to follow my steps and have soon some offspring. Margit knew a young Hungarian princess, the daughter of her brother the King. She was called Szines and it was barely the only thing we knew about her. I was so overjoyed knowing that my son Philip would marry a Hungarian princess, like me, that I didn’t care about the Hungarians demands.

We organized the wedding some weeks after my crowning. It was the occasion to celebrate more and more those good news for the Kingdom. Nevertheless, the Hungarian princess finally happened to be relatively ugly and stupid. She reminded me Clara. Philip wasn’t really happy but agreed to achieve that diplomatic and symbolic marriage.

Thanks to that marriage, we enjoyed to count one more ally. The Hungarian Kingdom…

A lot of dubbings took place for the occasion, with most particularly the one of my second son Raoul, and some children of the Royal Family, like Marc and Olivier, second son of Louis and first son of Charles.

Raoul was surely my preferred child, compared to Philip, as he shared more my point of view about the Pope and the political choices than Philip. Moreover, he was calm and clever.
    And he was the result of a true love, with Margit…
    He was my Jewel.

The same month, I married the second daughter of Michel, Marguerite, with one of my “invicible 50”. Marcel d’Oisy. The guy grew up in a Dauphine castle, before to join Paris and the Royal Court when he was 20. He didn’t take part of great campaigns before to meet me. He agreed to join my army when I attacked Bruges and from then on was part of my loyal knights.

That marriage was part of my strategy to dissolve the power of my previous brothers.

Everything seemed ready for a new “Kingdom Spring”…

Default Re: An Eastern Jewel in a Western World !!! Chronicles of a French Miserable.

English Campaign (Part VII)
    Chapter CVI : Dark Soul

An de Grâce 1219 AC.
    English Anjou.
    Angers.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    King of the Kingdom.

Philippe Capet, adoptive son of the French King. However, my real name is Muhammad Sahadeddine. I’ve been adopted because of an amazing coincidence. I hoped to become a hero of Chivalry, and help the poor and the orphans.
    I’m 39 years old.
    I raised some loyal troops and assaulted Paris and Louis. We had a battle, I lost my left hand and finally fought him during the Ordalie in Paris and won the crown.
    I destroyed the flemish Duchy, punishing them for the murder of Philippe Auguste.
    I killed Louis in the Dungeon and after some victories against the English and Germans, I finally officially took the holy Crown.

Michel.
    "Brother"

We were very good friends during our childhood, but it seems that these happy times are over.
    When I came back in Paris and defeated Louis, he accepted my lead, but didn't lose time to betray me.
    He is a nightmare, but I captured him and threw him in the Dungeon, and exiled him in Ireland. However, some reports said that he fled to the unknown West.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

He was supposed to be the rightful heir but because of Michel plans, I’ve stolen him the title.
    He rebelled against Louis and was thrown in the Dungeon. After being reconciled, he met me, and I agreed to let him the lead of Metz. However, that little snake made a deal with Michel and sided with the english hawks to kill me.
    Unfortunately for him, I captured the bad guy and threw him in the Dungeon, next to his father and uncle, before to sell him as a slave in North Africa.

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I’m now considered as a real noble and I’m a little more protected against the anger of Louis.
    Despite the nightmares, I made her pregnant and let her in Zaragoza. She gave birth to Philip, my first son.

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Now that the problems had been solved with Olivier, I spent wonderful times with her.

Philip.
    Heir of the Kingdom
    "First Son"

Philip is my first son, consequence of a horrible night I succeeded to spend with Clara. After being fat, he grew up better and seems ready to be the Heir of the Kingdom. However, I fear sometimes some petty behavior, flattering myself in order to take advantage of his privileged situation.

Raoul.
    "Second son"

Raoul is my second son, and the first I had with Margit. He is my Jewel, because he seems much more natural and calm than Philip.
    What a shame he is seen like a bastard, and can’t be my Heir. It would have surely been the best option.

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who just taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I’m the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He is the personal spy, and maybe assassin of Michel. He was sending me Michel orders.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

He was one of my loyal generals. He is quite as young as me and a very good warrior.
    Moreover, he is very clever and he helped me to convince the army that the Pope Alexander was an enemy.
    After some love problems we finally overcome, he is from now on my "compagnon d'arme".
    He saved my life twice, and was severely wounded by an arrow during the Ordalie.

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin is a local noble from brittany, who became the governor of Pamplona. He believed in my dream to found a new Kingdom and he became one of my close friends. He helped me more than everyone else to build an alternate Kingdom in the Iberian Peninsula.
    From now on, he is leading my troops at my side, and learns to enjoy the reality of war.

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    "Personal spy"

Arnoul is my best personal spy.
    He was previously spying for Philippe Auguste, my father. He is extremely experimented and played a key role in my chess game against Louis and Michel. This guy saved me when I was the prisoner of Baudouin, waiting for my death...

Jacques d'Orléans
    "Priest"

Jacques is a Templar. After years spent in the Iberian Peninsula, fighting heretics and trying to convert them, he had been promoted leader of the Paris Templar garrison. I met him during the Paris siege and he fought well beside me.
    He is from now on one of my friends, helping and advising me during my English Campaign.
    He had been granted the title of Cardinal, but unfortunately missed to be elected Pope.

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

He loved the Chivalric Code, and enjoyed good tournaments. He was a wise ruler and French people liked him a lot.

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

He was not a warrior, but he was a clever leader, knowing a lot in the domain of diplomacy, economy and management.

Louis the Malevolent.
    KILLED in the Dungeon.
    "Brother"

He was a very skilled and fearful warrior. He could be qualified as a “butcher”.
    He engaged the battle against me near Paris, and lost. However, he suceeded to flee but we faced in Paris and he lost the Ordalie.
    For some years, he was no more than a destitute king, without hands and bowls, prisoner in the Louvre dungeon. I finnaly took the decision and killed him, in the darkness of his cell.

As spring came quickly this year, I was a bit surprised and not ready enough to attack. I spent days to inspect and prepare a strategic plan to cut through the English territories in France. I thought the best was to avoid the heavy garrisoned fortresses of Caen and Bordeaux, and better attack in the middle, like a sword in a belly.
    Angers was my first target. It was a well fortified city, and the capital of some old French Normand families, with a lot of power. Some were fighting with France, some other with the English.

I had already sent Arnoul there for a while.

There were not a lot of English garrisoned there, since they surely didn’t think we would attack there. The reports of my brave spy were good enough. I ordered some messengers to propose a Peace treaty with the English, before to walk through Anjou.

They refused. It was their problem, not mine.
    I kissed Margit, like usual before to go in campaign. We were used with that protocol and it didn’t affect me particularly to leave my good old wife. The only change was that I had to make one kiss less:
    Philip was coming with me. I hesitated for a long time to keep him in Paris, learning the war skills, but finally thought the best would be to experience as soon as possible the reality of war. He would grow stronger, and I could keep an eye upon his behavior, and aspirations.

We crossed the border at the end of the summer. We were late, but ready.

During the trip, I explained to my son my old war experiences. How I managed to fight the Moors, how I crossed to Italy to slay the heretic Pope Alexander, how I found the strength to struggle against Louis for the crown…
    Philip was drinking my words. He was eager to fight but maybe mostly to kill and trample, rather than helping people. Philip came with some of his friends and training brothers. I didn’t like the behavior of the major part of them. They were like the majority of the French arrogant young nobles, thinking the battle was already won thanks to their nobility hereditary skills, and dealing more with money and luxury than with chivalry and philosophy. However, I didn’t want to make my first son ill at ease during his first campaign and didn’t say anything about that.
    He would learn soon enough…

We also talked a lot about the Spanish events. Vermundo was keeping a strong pressure against Zaragoza and Pamplona. The bastard was attacking the forts and besieging the cities with great armies, full of Jinetes, axemen and fearsome Almughavars.

Lots of epic reports from the South were discussed with passion in Paris, paying tribute to the bravery of the Frenchmen who offered their lives to defend the French territories there.

A lot of heroes died, apparently. At the beginning, the Spanish met difficulties because they tried to assault heavy garrisoned cities like Zaragoza, but they soon changed their strategy and reversed the trend, by blocking the trade, the supplies, and attacking little forts.

The French forces decreased quickly, despite the courage of the men and the reinforcements I allowed to go there.

Pamplona was besieged by Vermundo when I went into campaign against Angers. It was a difficult choice but I was sure the Spanish attack was a strategy, thought with the English, to divert my heavy armies to the South, and divide my power. I wouldn’t play their game, and accepted to lose some strategic forts and citadels in the Iberian Peninsula, if it could help me to crush the English.

I relied on the only bravery of the heroes let there, and I knew it couldn’t last.

The skirmishes happened daily in those dry and mountainous lands, and duels between French cavalry and Spanish Jinetes were celebrated as the duel between Murmillos and Retiarus.

I regretted not to be there and assist them to fight the evil Vermundo.

I loathed thinking that one of my major enemies was the Grandfather of my son, of the Heir of the kingdom. However, the advantage was that with skilled assassins, we could expect Spain becoming French, in the hands of Philip.

Soon after crossing the Anjou border with my massive troops, we learnt that the English were organizing some troop move, in order to protect Angers. I couldn’t count on a surprise effect. After all, it was difficult to bet on it, knowing that such a massive army couldn’t be that fast.
    I knew the difficulties of such a campaign, and I was prepared.

However, I wasn’t prepared with the gift I found in La Flèche, a little city close to Angers. Bertrand brought me the new, as he was leading the vanguard. I missed to kill one of my friends, by anger, when the head of Arnoul fell from the cloak it was wrapped with.
    His eyes were pierced, his nose and tongue cut… Almost non recognizable.

I went mad, seeing the mutilated face of my friend, bloodied. I didn’t have any chance to save the guy who saved me once, and helped me so much. My mind was filled with anger and apologizes, and I couldn’t control my move for some times.

After the crisis I succeeded to overcome, we found a little message inside the mouth of my dear friend:
    “You will need more than one doggy to beat me.
    I’m waiting for you Philippe…
    A bientôt.”

I roared like a furious animal, tore up the message and spat on the ground.
    - “I will kill you Norbert.
    I will tore you up in pieces and feed the dogs with it.
    You will feel it Norbert, you will feel it deeply…”

I ordered, infuriated, to send all the French spies of the Kingdom in Angers and find Norbert. Angers was a personal matter from then on.

We entered the suburbs with the first snow flakes, remembering me our last battles against the English in Metz and Dijon. I liked the feeling of the cold air filling my lungs…

As asked, lots of French spies succeeded to enter the city of Angers, even if lot had been executed when trying. However I wasn’t that annoyed. My mind was focused on Norbert. If I had to send to the death hundred of my soldiers to capture the black spy, I would surely do it…

My soul became as dark as my enemy.

Campidoctor

Hello there! I just finished reading the first page's entries and I'm completely enthralled. There are few things I love more than a nice AAR, and this is just a pleasure to read. I can't tell you how happy I am there are 9 more pages for me to catch up on, very glad to see this still going. Thank you thank you thank you! for taking the time to create such a wonderful piece of art.

Hi Dooz,
    Thank you very much for you very welcome support.
    I'm glad you like the story, even if i'm so slow to update. I really apologize for that.

However, I know your feeling about the hapiness to see 9 more pages to read. It happened the same to me when reading some nice AAR.

What are the few things you love more than nice AAR?
    I would love to learn more about that particular point.

English Campaign (Part VII)
    Chapter CVII : Pain, snow, tears and death

An de Grâce 1220 AC.
    English Anjou.
    Angers.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    King of the Kingdom.

I’m 39 years old.
    I killed Louis in the Dungeon and after some victories against the English and Germans, I finally officially took the holy Crown.

Michel.
    "Brother"

When I came back in Paris and defeated Louis, he accepted my lead, but didn't lose time to betray me.
    He is a nightmare, but I captured him and threw him in the Dungeon, and exiled him in Ireland. However, some reports said that he fled to the unknown West.

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Philip.
    Heir of the Kingdom
    "First Son"

Raoul.
    "Second son"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Jacques d'Orléans
    "Priest"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Louis the Malevolent.
    KILLED in the Dungeon.
    "Brother"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Personal spy"

Arnoul was my best personal spy.
    He was extremely experienced and played a key role in my chess game against Louis and Michel. This guy saved me when I was the prisoner of Baudouin, waiting for my death...
    After spending years leading my spying network, he had finally been assassinated by my worst enemy : Norbert the Bastard.

Thanks to my spies, I knew the exact composition of the garrison, which had been reinforced by elite units, like some 2 English knights companies. I knew the fight would be hard.

I had divided my troops in two parts, a siege army and a reinforcement one, which was supposed to back us, and to organize the supplies. The army I led was mostly compound of foot soldiers, with a good mount of axemen, swordsmen and spearmen.
    Jacques of Orléans led the Templar knights. He would like to fight as the first wave, in order to compensate for the Templar betrayal.

My spies reported me the exact plans of Angers, and the different gates. They assured me that I would be able to enter without any siege material, but only with diversionary moves.
    It was perfect for my troops, because I wouldn’t like the siege to last too much. Winter was coming.

The English general was called Edmund and was famous for being a cunning governor, looting the French people of Anjou to increase the English treasure. I knew he wouldn’t last more than the siege.

The morning of the expected attack, I rode for a while with my son. We were between us and I asked him his feelings.

- “I’m excited father. I was waiting for ages my first battle and I’m proud to fight beside you.
    Ah, my blood is boiling.”

- “I know that feeling Philip, but I want to make clear that you won’t act without order. I don’t want you to be trapped by any cunning English. We also need to be careful of their longbowmen.” I said, keeping my authority upon Philip.

- “Those English dogs will learn who I am father. And I won’t let them take the advantage. Let’s send them back to the Channel, with their red flag into their ass.
    I and my friends are eager to teach them what the world “souffrir” really means in French.

I winced, not really convinced by the immaturity of my son, of the heir of the Kingdom.
    After all, he was there to learn. Of course, he couldn’t be as wise as a veteran.

That little talk made me feel the weight of the age. I had always thought I would remain young and dynamic. It was over, and I didn’t really know how to behave with all those young nobles who were growing all over the Kingdom.
    Would I really succeed to keep them under my will?

I sighed deeply when I took Durandal and harangued my brave soldiers before the attack.

The men were ready, confidents and listening carefully my last advices. They knew me. They knew I would lead them to victory.

I didn’t wait before to attack. The axemen were the first to go directly to the main gate, with some ladders. They were tasked for the diversion.

I contemplated with admiration those warriors, climbing quickly the little slope leading to the main gate of Angers.

I thought about those walls. They were protecting the English, but ages ago, they had been built by Frenchmen to protect against the English. Who were those French Dukes and Barons who tried to defend Angers?
    What happened?

Ah, I was there to bring back the good old order. They would surely be proud of me. They should…

I nodded to Jacques, agreeing for his demand to attack. The Templar spearmen ran toward the city, roaring some religious cry. As planned, they round the city at the left.

We waited for a while, watching the axemen trying to climb the front walls, with nonchalance. I wasn’t worried. It was the plan.

Soon enough, the expected victorious cry was heard amongst the troops.
    “Gateway captured…
    Jacques is already in the city.
    Pour la France, pour le Roi, pour Philippe.”

I smiled to Philip. I couldn’t contain my soldiers anymore and ordered the general assault.

My spies had warned me that they would open a little gate, mostly unknown by the people and surely weakly garrisoned. They did it and the English believed in my easy diversion.
    Definitely, those swine bastard were really stupid.

I laughed when rushing to the gates.

The English quickly surged back to defend the weakly garrisoned gate, and as a consequence, the French assailants took advantage of that move and captured other entrances.
    Brilliant.
    As clear as the theory.

The street battle was going on, with the usual fresh fury and madness.

The task was to cut down the red flags. My soldiers did it, slowly but surely.
    In the battlements, the rage of the melee was doubled, as the space to fight was lacking.
    The Templar cleaned them all.

Following my troops, I rode through the first dead, shot by the longbowmen.
    Then just before entering the city, I saw dozens of my men under boiling oil, burning and screaming. I shivered, thinking about Philip just behind me.

I turned my head and saw my son. He didn’t seem to be scared by that frightening scene. At the contrary, he was surprisingly calm. I didn’t think for a long time about the psychological state of my son, because I was urged by some batmen to assist my infantry, which was attacked by the English cavalry inside.

Indeed, the English knights led by the English general Edmund tried to trample my men. I surged in with my “invincible 50” lances.

Following my men inside, we had great difficulties moving forward, because of the infantry everywhere.
    When the troops understood I was inside, a euphoric fury filled them and they pushed through like an unstoppable wave.

Soon, the English cavalry was overwhelmed and had to rush back near the Dungeon.

I glanced at the battlements. The fight was almost finished. The remaining English were thrown down or killed without mercy.

At last, I came to the front line, and saw the English cavalry knights organizing their retreat. There was so much pressure on them that a lot fell, killed by French spears or swords, and then trampled by the crowd.

Everywhere in the streets happened other melee between English troops which would like to join their general in the middle of the city, and French soldiers who tried to stop them.

The French knights sometimes rushed in to crush the isolated English. There were no organization, there were no leaders. Everybody was pushing through to be the first to hold the English standard.

The Templar spearmen were fighting bravely and were the only one to keep a sort of order amongst their ranks, contrary to my other furious units.

I thought it was time to lead the final assault against the bulk of the Englishmen. I made my way till the head of my troops and motivated them to attack.
    Unfortunately, a fresh reserve of spearmen came to stop us and I shamefully had to come back.

The English reinforcements tried to contain the flow, offering some welcome time to their general to organize the last defenses.
    The melee was tough and men were fighting till the death. The English knew that I wouldn’t offer them any mercy.

I took sight of Edmund. He was bleeding but still on his steed. Around him were the elite English foot knights of Angers. I knew those dangerous warriors since the Paris Siege.

I quickly tried to call my son Philip. With a little anxiety, I rode behind and found him. His followers were fighting against some lost English. They were covered with those bastards’s blood. It was a real slaughterhouse.

I grabbed Philip and ordered him to follow. I hardly could hear him but I would like him to be there when the fight would be over. I would like him to be seen as the true son of the King, as a brave fighter, with some blood on his sword…

When I came back to the melee, it was almost finished, with the last English spearmen being crushed. I ordered my “Invincible 50” to regroup, and to charge.
    - “Pour le roi.
    Avec moi! Avec moi!
    Let’s finish the work.

We charged.

I remember with difficulty the clash but few seconds after, I saw Edmund, in the middle of the melee. I pointed at him, and insulted him in order to face the general.
    Philip was beside me.

Edmund turned back and agreed to fight. I stopped my bodyguard and nodded to Philip. My son understood and began the duel.

I was worried with what was happening. It was a double or quits game.
    Either Philip would crush Edmund and become a true hero since his first battle, either he wouldn’t succeed and would be laughed and even suffer the psychological consequences of such a failure.
    After some blows and ducks, the two guys were so close that they couldn’t strike themselves.

Eventually, Edmund tried to push down Philip but forgot to hold strongly his sword and it fell. Philip saw that and prepared the strike. Edmund begged for mercy in bad French. Philip smiled and his sword ran through Edmund body.

I was startled, watching the English dead corpse falling down. A mix feeling of disgust and pride. My son was a hero, but his fate seemed to be linked with butchery and cruelty.

Philip roared of pleasure but the melee was still going on.

I charged the heavy English knights. Durandal was covered with their blood and I was also bleeding, after receiving some bad strikes during the cavalry melee.

Jacques was beside me. I smiled to my old friend when decapitating an English who thought he could face me. Jacques shouted “Bravo” and laughed.
    He then surged forward to reach and cut the last English Standard. I saw Jacques making a real blood furrow behind me. He was half way when he behaved strangely. His horse refused to advance. The strong steed was surely wounded.

I watched powerless my friend losing his momentum and kinetic strength. He was from then on at the English mercy. The bastard swine understood it and struck him with their spears and swords.
    I yelled, urging my men to help the unfortunate Cardinal.
    My friend was already bleeding strongly but kept fighting, like the old lion.

Some Templar Knights made their possible to reach him but it was too late. Jacques had a meeting with his fate that cold day of October.
    Some tears ran through my cheeks when my old friend fell definitely down, gulped down by a cruel red wave.

“Nooooooonnnnnn…”.
    I couldn’t accept it and went furiously mad. With Bertrand beside me, we destroyed the last English men. Durandal was boiling, curved by the intensity of the impacts.
    Heads, arms and bodies were cut and smashed like thin vegetables. Slaughter.

They deserved it. I still didn’t accept the death of my friend. Jacques.
    I remembered the fights he did beside me, since the Paris siege. Ah, what a great man, I would honor him as he deserves to be.

My friend was filling my mind when an immense clamor burst all over.

Angers was ours.
    Angers was French…

Victory!
    Not a single English soldier remained alive.
    However, my army suffered heavy losses, with one third of my soldiers slain.

I thought about Norbert and ordered to search for him amongst the dead and the people of Angers. There were a lot of dead and I was convinced that my worst enemy was still in the city.

I was upset and couldn’t control my words when I shouted to my soldiers:
    - “No one should remain alive in that bloody city.
    I order you to sack and to kill any people.
    Tuez les tous…

Bertrand tried to change my mind as soon as I said those words, but I was so upset, my mind blurred with the death of Jacques and Arnoul. I would like to kill Norbert and any people who helped.

I let my soldiers making the city a slaughterhouse.

I was the only one to decide, even madly upset…
    Angers was mine.

Soon enough, the diplomatic news came.
    I didn’t care at all about the thoughts of little Kingdoms.

I didn’t care at all about the feeling of the Sicilian Pope.

However, after a secret council with Bertrand and my most trusted generals, I took the decision to eliminate again the Pope. He was a plague. I knew that the new one wouldn’t be better, but I couldn’t accept that such a puppet, without any city to live in, was able to express his feelings.
    Some of my best assassins were ordered to ride to Rome Countryside, and found the little Christian snake.

In the empty city, I organized a celebration for my son Philip.
    I offered him the title of Comte d’Anjou, as a reward for his courage and skills. My son was ready to preserve the French interests along me from then on.

With my troops, we spent the winter in Angers. After the slaughter, we didn’t find Norbert and my sick mind suffered a lot from that new.
    I felt alone, with Bertrand and my son.
    I felt powerless and didn’t know what to do.

Unfortunately for me, a girl coming from Paris didn’t help at all, and threw me into darkness.
    It was not her fault; she was convinced to help me.

She was my daughter.

Sybille…

I hope you haven't quit with this wonderfull aar, I am still enjoing every minute of it.

I will NEVER quit this aar till the end.
    Thank you very much for you welcome support, you are really helping.

Here is the next part.

English Campaign (Part VIII)
    Chapter CVIII : The weight of madness

An de Grâce 1220 AC.
    Anjou.
    Angers.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    King of the Kingdom.

I’m 39 years old.

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Margit.
    "Secret love"

Philip.
    Heir of the Kingdom
    "First Son"

Raoul.
    "Second son"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I was the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He is the personal spy, and old assassin of Michel.
    He killed my dear friend Charles de Bouillon and Arnoul, he even tried to slay me.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Louis the Malevolent.
    KILLED in the Dungeon.
    "Brother"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Personal spy"

He was extremely experienced and played a key role in my chess game against Louis and Michel. This guy saved me when I was the prisoner of Baudouin, waiting for my death...
    After spending years leading my spying network, he had finally been assassinated by my worst enemy : Norbert the Bastard.

Jacques d'Orléans
    DEAD in battle.
    "Priest"

Jacques was a Templar. After years spent in the Iberian Peninsula, fighting heretics and trying to convert them, he had been promoted leader of the Paris Templar garrison. I met him during the Paris siege and he fought well beside me.
    He is one of my best friends, helping and advising me during my English Campaign.
    He had been granted the title of Cardinal, but unfortunately missed to be elected Pope. He died in the battle of Angers, after a brave fight in the middle of the strongest English knights.

When I caught sight of Sibylle, at the distance, I noticed how she was not anymore my little girl. She walked proudly, with grace and detachment, like a real princess should. I was really happy to see her, after such a victorious siege.

However, I was a bit surprised by this unexpected coming. She was supposed to stay safely in Paris, and never take the risk to cross English lands.

Then I took sight of her tears. I wasn’t smiling anymore. What happened? My heart went mad and my throat dried instantly.

- “Sibylle, my little Sibylle, come to my arms please.” I succeeded to say, when she went close to me and my friends.

She ran and huddled up in my arms, sobbing convulsively. I was afraid, fearing the worst, but caressed her cheek, trying to clean her tears. I kissed her and whispered:
    - “What happened my little love? Who made you such upset? Who?”

With a sign, I asked to my advisors and friends to go away. I felt that my little daughter would like to talk privately with me. Maybe a love affair finally…

I forced me to smile, and tried to see her eyes. She finally headed up and fixed me. The pain was filling her beautiful green eyes. She opened her mouth and painfully said, hoarsely:
    - “Papa, c’est terrible.
    They killed Maman. Ma Maman.”

A sudden frozen shadow frightened my heart. I asked, toneless, my mind lost, unable neither to think nor to accept the ignoble truth my daughter just announced.
    - “No, no, it is not possible. Margit is safe in Paris, in the royal Court, isn’t she?
    Isn’t she Sibylle?”

I was shaking nervously my daughter, and couldn’t control my strength. Sibylle sobbed again, trying to escape my nervous and mad arms. She cried:
    - “Papa, c’est Clara. It is Clara who killed her. The assassins said us the truth. Maman had been poisoned.”

I screamed, like a wounded wolf. For a long moment I screamed, with a terrible voice, coming from my entrails. Margit was filling my thoughts. I saw her kissing me for the first time. I saw her cleaning my wounds. I saw her making me love. I saw her playing with me, in some meadows, during summer…
    I was unaware of Sibylle, and of the Court around me. I was alone in my mind with Margit. Prisoner of my thoughts.

Then it stopped. My mind came back to reality as I was vomiting. Sibylle was closed to me, weeping on the floor.
    The sudden uncontrollable spasms took time to end. I couldn’t scream anymore and still didn’t accept the death of my love, the death of Margit.

I finally succeeded to get up, thanks to some of my friends.

I asked Sibylle to explain what happen. I couldn’t believe what she just said me, wishing it was just a sudden nightmare.

Sibylle get up, stopped weeping and announced the terrible new.
    - “One week ago, we were all eating, Margit, Raoul, Colin and me, with some other friends in the Court, when Margit suddenly vomited her meal, during dessert.
    The guards tried to help her but she was still vomiting, again and again, and felt unconscious.

I took care of her all the night. She was still breathing, but lesser each hour. The best doctors were called to save her. She finally took back consciousness around 5 in the morning, and whispered, exhausted:
    _______- “Philippe, mon amour, désolé.
    _______I will wait for you.
    _______But take your time.
    _______Take your time…

_______A bientôt mon Philippe…
    _______

She died few moments after. She was courageous and I will miss my good Maman. Raoul wasn’t there when she died. He found the assassins. They were some cookers, bribed with Spanish money, who tried to escape Paris, but didn’t succeed.
    Thanks to the torture, Raoul found who ordered them to do that crime, and who offered them the poison. Clara.

Clara is the murderer. She deserves to be killed. She deserves to die…

Sibylle fell again on the ground, sobbing.

I was destroyed, petrified by those news. I turned my head and saw Philip. He didn’t seem to be affected by the news and I felt like he was hiding a little smile.

My blood boiled all of a sudden and I shouted, with a powerful voice I didn’t experience before:
    - “Philip, my son, Sibylle is right.
    I order you to go immediately to Spain with all the troops you would need and kill your mother. Slay that traitor whore. Mutilate that wh-ore. Destroy that monster.
    And bring back her bloody skull.

Philip didn’t move nor said anything. He didn’t seem willing to kill his mother. My ill mind wasn’t waiting for such a passive behavior.

With furor, I shouted, louder than ever before:
    - “Go and kill that monster or I would execute you myself.
    Am I sufficiently clear Philip?

Philip was livid and said, slowly:
    - “Very good my lord.
    A bientôt.

My son went out. I remember him leaving the room without any sight to me, to us.
    This was my last memory.
    My mind fell definitely and for a long time into darkness…

I crossed for months a world of nightmare, a world of blood and pain. A world of ghosts. Clara and Norbert were there, spying me, hunting me, making me suffer terrible tortures…
    I was insane.
    Completely insane…

Glad too see you back and updating, la coupe. Sad day for Phillippe, though.

Excellent update, really grabbed my emotions when I read the first sentence. Great to have you back.

Thanks Hidden Sage and wvswem for your eternal support. .
    I'm pleased to be back and to finish the story.

Indeed, it is a tunring point in the story and not an easy one for Philippe. But it is not finished.
    Here is an interesting update, to say the least.

The 2 next ones will be more and more interesting...

English Campaign (Part VIII)
    Chapter CIX : The Glorious One...

An de Grâce 1221 AC.
    Normandy.
    Caen.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    King of the Kingdom.

I’m 39 years old.
    I killed Louis in the Dungeon and after some victories against the English and Germans, I finally officially took the holy Crown
    I'm now insane, after learning the death of my dear Margit.

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I was considered as a real noble.
    She is definitely ugly and I absolutely didn’t want to sleep with her.
    She is said having ordered the assassination of my dear Margit.

Philip.
    Heir of the Kingdom
    "First Son"

I ordered him to go to the South and kill his monster mother, when I learned the death of Margit.

Raoul.
    "Second son"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

He is the messenger who taught me the amazing news of the death of my father, and that I was the new Heir of the Kingdom.
    He killed my dear friend Charles de Bouillon and Arnoul, he even tried to slay me.
    I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Louis the Malevolent.
    KILLED in the Dungeon.
    "Brother"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Personal spy"

Jacques d'Orléans
    DEAD in battle.
    "Priest"

Jacques was a Templar. After years spent in the Iberian Peninsula, fighting heretics and trying to convert them, he had been promoted leader of the Paris Templar garrison. I met him during the Paris siege and he fought well beside me.
    He is one of my best friends, helping and advising me during my English Campaign.
    He had been granted the title of Cardinal, but unfortunately missed to be elected Pope. He died in the battle of Angers, after a brave fight in the middle of the strongest English knights.

Margit.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Secret love"

She was my deep love. Nobody knew that, apart my close friends.
    She was beautiful and clever. She was a Hungarian princess.
    I spent wonderful times with her.
    She had given birth to our children: Raoul, Sibylle and Colin.
    She finally fell, poisoned in Paris when I was away. The monster Clara is said to be the one who ordered that tragedy.

What can I say about that period? I have no memories, apart from nightmares…
    It is like I stopped living for some months. I couldn’t think nor order clever targets. I think I was like an animal, behaving with instinct more than with intelligence.

Bertrand and some other friends briefly told me how I behaved. I was often saying some insane and disordered sentences. I kept my usual reflex when eating, sleeping and succeeded to behave “normally”.
    However, I was apparently trying to hunt Norbert. I was daily asking for his death.

I never knew the exact details of what I did during that troubled time, and I am going to explain why.
    Thanks to Bertrand reports, here is the dark story of my insanity.

Just after Philip left the Court, I went mad, and my friends and Sibylle tried to help me. I spent one week bed ridden, delirious.
    Philip didn’t come to see me single time. He gathered some troops and directly went to the South.

After more than one month, I succeeded to feel better and apparently planned to hunt Norbert. Bertrand and the generals were extremely annoyed, clearly aware of my insanity, but agreed after long and tough talks to let me the initiative.

Following my will to hunt Norbert, we went to the North, with the same Royal Army we successfully took Angers.

We arrived near Caen without any trouble. We besieged the fantastic and famous fortress.
    Apparently, I was boiling and asking for battle every hour. Marcel d’Oisy joined me with some good troops from Paris.

The English general was no more than the well known Geoffrey the Kind, brother of the English King.
    He was a very skilled general and soldiers feared to fight against such a brave and clever noble. Moreover, he was well known after marrying Marie Capet, my “sister” I never seen, without any French agreements.
    He was the guy who made my beloved dad “Philippe Auguste” angry for months. Marie was with him during the siege.

However, I didn’t seem annoyed nor interested by those points during the siege, and refused any diplomatic agreement, despite the efforts of Marie and Geoffrey, who didn’t want to see a carnage.

The garrison of Caen was highly skilled and experienced. It would have certainly bothered me a lot if not insane.

Soon enough, we began the battle.

The reports said I was fighting in the front line, taking amazing risks to be killed, or wounded.
    However it worked well, since my soldiers believed in me and followed me to the Dungeon.
    After a day of fight, we had won the impossible.
    We had won Caen, the old Norman capital. The symbol of the English power in France.

The most surprising was that we didn’t suffer too much casualties. It was a true heroic victory.

However, my mind was definitely mad and poisoned, as I ordered the massacre at the end of this glorious day.
    The English army died.
    The whole Norman population was slaughtered.
    Marie was killed by some furious soldiers, who would like to avenge the betrayal she did to France.
    I was part of the massacre team.

After that bloody day, which was celebrated in France as the “glorious one”, Bertrand and my generals fully agreed to let me command the army and the Kingdom, since I led them to the most amazing victory since more than hundred years.

Norbert wasn’t in Normandy.
    I ordered to go to Britanny. To Rennes. To the old independent duchy whose Duke decided to side with the English.

When campaigning to Britanny, we found some rebels and I decided to fight them. I attacked them alone with my “Invicible 50”.

It was a decision as insane as my mind.
    Anyway, the sky seemed to protect me and we crushed them without any casualty.

The soldiers saw me like a living Saint. I was the one who could help them to the full reconquest of France. I was the hero.
    And they called me “Philippe the Merciless”. Hopefully, I was insane, because I surely would have suffered deeply such a nickname.

Futile fate…

English Campaign (Part IX)
    Chapter CX : So close !

An de Grâce 1224 AC.
    Bordeaux.
    Aquitaine.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    King of the Kingdom.

I’m 44 years old.
    I killed Louis in the Dungeon and after some victories against the English and Germans, I finally officially took the holy Crown

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

It is my official wife. She is the daughter of the Spanish King and thanks to that marriage, I was considered as a real noble.

Philip.
    Heir of the Kingdom
    "First Son"

I ordered him to go to the South and kill his monster mother, when I learned the death of Margit.

Raoul.
    "Second son"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Louis the Malevolent.
    KILLED in the Dungeon.
    "Brother"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Personal spy"

Jacques d'Orléans
    DEAD in battle.
    "Priest"

Margit.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Secret love"

She finally fell, poisoned in Paris when I was away. The monster Clara is said to be the one who ordered that tragedy.

Arriving in Brittany, we were indestructible. The French spies infested the city of Rennes.

The Royal army rushed in the famous city. My men were fanatic looters since the last sieges.

The English garrison wasn’t strong enough to resist that blind and mad assault.

We destroyed them and apparently, I personally killed the English general. I was a demon.

The massacre began as soon as I took back Durandal from the head of the poor Owen.

Rennes was the symbol of the old English power collapsing against the French fanatic hordes.

Norbert wasn’t there.
    I decided to go South.
    To Bordeaux.
    To the last English citadel.

During the travelling, we found some English field armies.

We fought them.

What could they do against the fantastic Royal Army?

They were experienced and well trained troops, but it wasn’t enough to stop my insane fury…

We won the battle, and all the other we had to face.

We destroyed multiple English field armies, led by clever and experienced generals, without any defeat. The enemy was fleeing just because of the sound of our war horns.

Then we arrived near Bordeaux. It took us some time as we had to assault a lot of fortified villages, and some fortresses protecting the road to Aquitaine. We had also been severely stopped when crossing the Garonne and the Dordogne, because of the clever fortifications built by Alan of Tisbury.
    This General had been sent to France in order to stop the English disaster.

He was a young and impressive general. He had fought a lot of battles against the Scottish and never suffered defeat.

After some months spent to annihilate the fortifications in the two great rivers, we crossed them in September.
    Apparently, I was extremely nervous, with a lot of delirious crisis, according to Bertrand. However, my generals were used with my behavior, and most of them saw the Lord Will through me.
    It is always easy to be confident when winning…

Some English troops dedicated to the river defenses were fleeing in front of us.
    I hunted them, and all my army had to follow, despite their tiredness.

However, here came the mistake. My troops weren’t prepared for a big battle, when we heard the English horns, and saw the main garrison of Bordeaux sallying to meet us.

I charged madly in front of my troops. In front of the good old soldiers of the Royal Army.
    They followed without organization.

The troops we were hunting faced us.

Alan of Tisbury attacked our left side.

Some cavalry troops charged the right wing.

It was the last battle. The battle which should erase the English from the mainland.
    The great and epic fight two Kingdoms were anxiously waiting for, since ages…
    And I was there, leading the French heroic troops.
    But I was insane…

Bertrand explained me how we killed and slaughtered hundreds of English. He explained me how the first of the “Invincible 50” began to break and die, after dozens of charges.
    Bertrand described me how Alan of Tisbury met us and fought in the melee with his English knights and barons.

During that bloody melee which should decide the fate of the battle, the “Invincible 50” took the advantage, before I get smashed in the head by the sword of a bastard English.

I fell unconscious, still fastened to my saddle. Bertrand rushed to help me and succeeded to catch me, protecting my unconscious body from the deadly English blows.
    The last of my “invincible 50” protected me, falling one by one, under the foes multitude. The “cream of the cream” was melting under the bloody sun…

The French troops were overwhelmed, and lost confidence watching the disaster suffered by the French cavalry.

When Bertrand brought me away of the battle field, the last of the “Invincible 50” tried a last attempt to reverse the tide and sacrificed themselves by charging Alan and his knights.
    Alan didn’t expect such a brave and heroic act.
    He died, still surprised of that courageous charge…

The last of the “Invincible” died few time after, but the essential was preserved. They saved me and I was still alive…

The battle was lost.
    Lost…

I was lost into darkness since long times too…

Bertrand succeeded to flee and to avoid the English scouts searching for me, searching to kill the insane head of the French power…
    Despite their will and motivation - a reward had probably been raised -, those bastard didn’t search all the villages and all the monasteries. Bertrand brought my unconscious body to one Dominican monastery, and they agreed to cure and hide me.

I spent some months there, between life and death.
    I have no memories of those painful moments. I have no memories of what happened to my soul.

Maybe some Lord save me from the demons…
    I still don’t know…

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Wow, that's a tough turn of events for the Royame de France. How will it end?? or has it already ended?

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

Thanks you very much Shadrach for your nice support.
    How will it end, their is a bit of answer in the next chapter.

Have a good read my friend, the rain is coming again...

2nd French Campaign (Part I)
    Chapter CXI : Cross Storm

An de Grâce 1225 AC.
    Bordeaux.
    Aquitaine.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    King of the Kingdom.

I’m 45 years old.

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Philip.
    Heir of the Kingdom
    "First Son"

Raoul.
    "Second son"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Louis the Malevolent.
    KILLED in the Dungeon.
    "Brother"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Personal spy"

Jacques d'Orléans
    DEAD in battle.
    "Priest"

Margit.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Secret love"

One morning of March, 6 months after the terrible battle of Bordeaux, I came back to Earth.
    When I woke up, I had the particular feeling of being in a body that wasn’t mine. I didn’t recognize my hands. I didn’t recognize my arms, with all those scars.
    I get up and saw my face. I was pale and skinny.

I was scared. I felt like I was 50 years old.

Then all my memories came to my head and made me vomit. I remembered the Angers Siege. I remembered Sibylle. I remembered what she announced to me.

I sobbed, angry against the life, still unaware of what had happened since.
    Where I was?
    Since when?

I felt depressed like never before. I was a puppet. I was the puppet of the Nature.
    I had been fooled by some major powers from the sky. I knew it…

I took sight of Durandal, lying in a table nearby, and I thought about ending my life, when Bertrand entered.
    He was older; on his face were some wrinkles gaunt with worried and endless nights without rest.

However, when he understood I was alive, moving and conscious, his face flamed and he smiled, voiceless.

We hugged together. I found the strength to stay alive, despite knowing that my dear wife was dead. I had too many questions to ask. We kept silent for a long time. We couldn’t know where to begin, what to say.
    The important was to see each other…

Soon enough, Bertrand told me the story. He told me that three years had been spent since I went insane. He described me the threat I went through.
    He described the defeat and the state of outlaw we were suffering, till we would succeed to reach French lands.
    I discovered sadly the atrocities I allowed. All the people dead because of my fault.
    The soldiers gave me a nickname after all those crimes: Philippe Sans Merci (The Merciless).
    I remembered with shame and sadness that Louis was called the same during his youth. I couldn’t accept to be named the same than the guy I hated for that. I would have killed not to be called like that.
    My fate seemed to be linked with what I hated. Oh, sad life…

Bertrand also told me he couldn’t bring me to Paris easily because of the multiple English troops all over Aquitaine, ready to find and kill me.
    He wasn’t aware about what happened in Paris and France since the battle of Bordeaux. It was not a good new. It surely meant that a regent was in the throne…

Anyway, time was counted and we had to reach Paris as soon as possible.

Bertrand had succeeded to gather some soldiers who escaped the bloody battle of Bordeaux. We were 20. The 20 survivals…

I was still scrawny and without strengths but we fled from the monastery, blessing the good monks with all the money Bertrand kept on him.

We had to take care. Aquitaine was still English, more than ever since their victory…

It took us some days to cross the Loire and avoid the English garrisons in the bridges. When entering the real French lands, I kissed the floor.
    My soldiers did the same. Some of them wept. I did the same…

I was in France.
    But still not in Paris. I couldn’t know what had happened…

We headed directly to the first French fort, in order to learn some news about what happened during my “absence”. When we arrived nearby, I understood that something was going wrong. A lot of fumes came from all around the fort.
    There was a siege.

An English little troop was besieging the fortified place. It was very surprising, knowing that the English never tried to attack the French Kingdom before, apart from the Paris siege.
    I took the time to assess the number of the foes, and their strength. They were no more than 200 men. It was a local siege. The foes were some experienced soldiers, but weren’t a threat.

With some little strategy and surprise effect, we were able to crush them. We were no more than 30, but we had some steeds and would easily attack and retreat.
    I led the counter attack.

I was still the King after all, and should prove it to those bastard English.
    It was a battle till the end against those swines. I couldn’t stand them from then on…

I successfully took advantage of the surprise effect. We killed some little groups of isolated soldiers with ease, and burnt some of their camp.
    However, the English general finally gathered his troops and did a defensive formation.

That moment, the French garrison of the fortified place sallied, and joined us. We were more than 60 men to slay those bastards. I asked the foes general to surrender.
    He refused, thinking we wouldn’t succeed to break his spear wall.

He didn’t know well the power of the French charge.
    With Bertrand, we organized the charge. The goal was to attack the English thanks to our infantry, and then charge their back. They would surely fail to cope with that synchronized attack.

I just heard some broken bones when we crushed those bastards. The idiot English general fell under the hooves of our steeds, and his soldiers tried desperately to flee.
    Useless…

They all died that day.

When I killed the last soldier, I searched for the local commander of the fortified place. He was named Louis and was from the little nobility.

He quickly understood who I was, watching the crown and Durandal. However he couldn’t help asking me:
    - “Are you the King, my Lord?
    Are you Philippe?
    Are yo…”

- “Yes I am.” I said with firmness.
    “I am the King and had been wounded near Bordeaux. I’m just back in the Kingdom and I would be pleased to accept your hospitality. I and my men need some rest and supplies.”

- “Avec plaisir, my Lord, and all my thanks for your help. Those English are taking opportunity of that damned Crusade to attack our lands since the beginning of the winter. I couldn’t cope with my 30 m…”

- “Quoi?
    Which Crusade?
    I really don’t understand my friend…”
    Bertrand seemed surprised too.

Louis felt suddenly ill at ease, and took some time to announce, with a shameful voice:
    - “Paris is the target of the Crusade launched by the new Pope. The Kingdom faces terrible moments. May the Lord help us and save the good people of France against those demons…”

I was stunned.
    Another heavy scourge suddenly fell on my weak mind. I felt the frozen shadows piercing my heart and head.
    I was freezing.

- “Let’s come to your Dungeon Louis. I don’t feel well”.
    I succeeded to whisper with a toneless voice.

Crusade on Paris? Ouch, that IS bad news for Phillippe.

Loving what you're doing with the story.

Yes, this is TERRIBLE news.
    But I can't say as happy I was when I read the little message.

After all, I think I deserved that Crusade, killing the Pope, fighting any christians neighboors.

Thanks for your support my friend.

2nd French Campaign (Part II)
    Chapter CXII : L'enfer

An de Grâce 1225 AC.
    Countryside.
    Anjou.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    King of the Kingdom.

I’m 45 years old.
    After the death of my dear Margit, I went insane but succeeded to continue the fight against the English. Unfortunately, a Crusade had been called against Paris.
    There is no hope...

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Philip.
    Heir of the Kingdom
    "First Son"

Raoul.
    "Second son"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Louis the Malevolent.
    KILLED in the Dungeon.
    "Brother"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Personal spy"

Jacques d'Orléans
    DEAD in battle.
    "Priest"

Margit.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Secret love"

Louis explained us the unbearable truth. We were at war with the entire Christendom and the heaviest armies from all the European Kingdoms were already heading to Paris and surrounding the Ile de France.

Hell…

All those troubles began one year before. I was surely insanely campaigning in Normandy and Brittany when it happened.
    The Pope Pius II from Sicily was assassinated by a French spy, who had been trapped and executed. All would have gone well if the unlucky guy had succeeded to escape. Under torture, he revealed that he had been commissioned by me to kill the Pope.

The news broke in the Christendom. All the Kingdoms went on war against France, even our strongest and oldest allies.

Only Novgorod and the Teutonics didn’t believe that new and didn’t break the alliance.

Soon, a new Pope was elected. Bonifacius VIII from the Holy Roman Empire. A German.

It was clearly a diplomatic election, since the Germans were the most willing to attack the French Kingdom. A lot of Christians Kingdom, led by the English, would like to take opportunity of the excommunication for stopping the French expansion. The cardinal’s council enjoyed to send a strong signal to show that France was from then on an outcast.
    Excommunication was not enough for those bastards, they claimed for more…

The new Pope asked for that heretic Crusade with an evil pleasure. It was clear that the strategic alliance between the English, Germans and Spanish was working more than ever before.
    Bastard evil Pope…

The foreign Kingdoms didn’t hesitate long to answer the Pope Call and attacked our Kingdom.

We were declared war by neutral Kingdoms, like Poland, Sicily and even the Crusader States. Ah, the Crusader States. What a bunch of dangerous fanatic murderers…

Our diplomacy was definitely healthy…
    We were dead…

Bertrand and I were speechless. Who could have forecast such a scourge upon the Kingdom?
    I couldn’t do anything. I was powerless, with no more than 50 soldiers to lead, against billions…
    My mind was like switched off. I couldn’t speak, neither move. I was literally petrified.

Strangely, I took back my ability to move when Louis finished his report, explaining that Toulouse and Dijon were already besieged.

Both by the evil Germans…

It was a tragedy. I wept…

My children, my friends, my people were the only victims of my madness. The one I always tried to protect and help were the first one to be stricken by my mistakes.

Who was I to deserve such a punishment?
    Did I really make some atrocious decisions? Did I insult some Gods? Did I blaspheme?

I was lost. That day, I nearly believed that the Christian Lord was maybe really existing, and punishing me…
    I couldn’t cope. I thought so, and failed…

It was the time of action from then on. I couldn’t waste a single minute.
    Louis told us that some of the French barons and dukes gathered in the fortress of Caen, in order to organize the counterattack and the liberation of Paris.

Like a sun beam, this new cleaned my mind from all the heavy deceptions, and the light of hope began to fire. If I was quick enough, maybe it was possible to protect the Kingdom from all the heretic armies besieging our Kingdom.

The following morning, we, my last friends and Louis’s soldiers, headed to Caen. We crossed the remote Normand countryside, avoiding some small cities that could host English troops, despite the French conquest of those territories.

When we saw the spires of Caen cathedral at the distance, we all shared some congratulations, pleased to see the end of our exhausting ride. However, we also felt some mixed worries, because who knows what could have happened between? The English maybe succeeded to take their great historic fortress back.

We had no choices and came to the entrance. Some French troops were guarding the gates, and when they discerned the Royal Standard, they opened the way, surprised and speechless, as if I was a ghost coming from Hell.

Inside, the crowd gathered around us, celebrating me, celebrating the French Kingdom. Nevertheless, I saw the soldier’s faces. They weren’t pleased. They seemed tired, exhausted, and worried. I knew that the crowd pleasure was not the mirror of reality.

Sibylle was the first to run toward me. I hugged her like I would have hugged Margit.
    My little Jewel was radiant. A true queen of beauty. I missed to weep, but remembered my friends and the soldiers all around. We all came to the Royal Court of the Fortress.
    It was time to talk about troubles.
    It was time to talk about death and invaders.

Let’s face the truth…

2nd French Campaign (Part II)
    Chapter CXIII : The first victim

An de Grâce 1225 AC.
    Caen.
    Normandy.

Current world...

Aide memoire:

Philippe's trips

Heroes...

Hello mates.
    I’m Philippe.
    King of the Kingdom.

I’m 45 years old.
    After the death of my dear Margit, I went insane but succeeded to continue the fight against the English. Unfortunately, a Crusade had been called against Paris.
    There is no hope...

Michel.
    "Brother"

Charles.
    "Nephew"

Clara.
    "Wife"

Philip.
    Heir of the Kingdom
    "First Son"

Raoul.
    "Second son"

Norbert.
    "Michel spy"

I hate him…

Olivier de Beziers.
    "Friend"

Bertrand du Guesclin
    "Friend"

Dead Heroes...

DEAD in battle.
    "Father"

Charles de Bouillon.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Friend"

Louis the Malevolent.
    KILLED in the Dungeon.
    "Brother"

Arnoul de Penthièvre
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Personal spy"

Jacques d'Orléans
    DEAD in battle.
    "Priest"

Margit.
    ASSASSINATED.
    "Secret love"

Sibylle was with her little brother Colin in Caen.
    However, Raoul, my second son, had left Paris to Rheims. He preferred to do that in order to be closer to Paris and organize the defense.

I would have been pleased about such a strategical move, if Sybille didn’t add that Rheims was besieged too.

Raoul was my preferred son, even if no “Royal Spanish Blood” filled his veins. It was a very bad news to know him trapped by the German nightmare. I knew that I had to go there and save him.

However, I quickly understood that it wasn’t as simple. If the administrators and the generals gathered in Caen Court agreed that I was still the King, they made it clear that since my illness, a lot of powerful French Lords didn’t care anymore about me, and even considered me as a “puppet King”.
    Moreover, there was no news about Philip. He was reported travelling in the Spanish Kingdom.

Apart from Raoul, Sybille and Colin, nobody really important kept loyal to the crown. It was a disaster.
    Even Louis Capet, the second and last son of Michel, tried to make another alliance with the English, in order to reverse the trend. Unfortunately for him, the English knew that they didn’t need to side any French House, and trapped the young guy instead of negotiating.
    The brave young fool fought hard with his followers, against hordes of foes, but finally get captured and slain without any process.

The English were aware that the Paris Crusade would be the excuse to reconquer the territories I added to the French Crown, and didn’t need any military support.

However, despite that internal mess, there was still a chance. If I could prove my mental health to the powerful Dukes and Barons, and win some crucial fights, I would be able to achieve unity, and maybe even to protect Paris against all the heretic hordes of infidel Crusaders.

With Bertrand, we planned secretly and actively that come back.

I had not a lot of cards to play.
    I needed troops. I had no more than few hundred exhausted soldiers.
    I needed money. The Kingdom was bankrupt, and we had no access to the royal treasure.
    I needed loyalty. Bertrand and some old friends protecting the royal family were the only one to have faith in me.
    I needed a miracle. The heretic Lord seemed to be the only one to offer miracles…

We finally agreed that the best sign to show our truth and prestige was to liberate a town from the German hawks. Which one better than Rheims could show our devotion to the French Kingdom?
    Rheims hosted the faithful cathedral where all the French Kings had been baptized.
    Rheims was the city from where the French power expanded.
    Rheims was the place where Raoul was besieged.

Rheims was the starting point of the rehabilitation of a King.
    Rheims would be my redemption…

I spent some difficult months in Caen, waiting for any news from the front. We knew that the Crusader armies were surrounding Paris, which was defended by some of the most powerful French lords, like Bouchard de Beaujeu and Marcel d’Oisy, who both married the daughters of Michel, and were close friends with me before my illness.
    Apparently, the two guys cleverly took control of the crucial bridges of the Seine, forbidding any easy access to Paris for the Crusaders.

However, the Germans took opportunity to besiege some of the other great cities, and there came the first bad news.
    - “Dijon has fallen to the bloody Germans.
    Odo had been killed.

A messenger said, one black and sad morning, in the Royal Court.

People whispered, waiting for me to say something. But what could I say?
    The good city I succeeded to liberate was no more French.
    The last son of my “brother” was dead, without any offspring, which meant that the House of Michel didn’t exist anymore…
    I was exhausted and disappointed.
    Where was the vigor of my youth? Where was my happiness?
    They were lost, forever. I saw my friends and my loves dying. I saw dozens of bloody battles. I saw some people younger than my son already dead. I experienced the mind diseases.

I was a battered man, but still a little light of hope was filling my heart, and I didn’t want to lose it. This hope was to liberate the people of France from their old chains. I didn’t want them to follow blindly the orders of a bastard Pope, son of a whore and dogs.
    I wanted them to be free and happy. I wanted them to leave peacefully. I wanted them to be men, more than noble slaves.

I woke up from my daydreaming and understood that everybody was waiting for me, for my comment.
    I get up and announced:
    - “Today is a dark day.
    We lost a city and a loyal friend and governor.
    I never totally trusted Odo, since he was the son of Michel, and sided with the English for a while. However, he proved his loyalty there, and offered his life for France. He cleaned with his blood the disgrace of his father.
    Please let’s have some prayers for that great young man…

A heavy silent took place in the Royal Court.

After a while, I broke the silent and asked the tired messenger if he knew what happened there.

The guy told what he knew in a hurry, as if his life depended on the quickness of his answer.
    He described how the hordes of German knights attacked the city, rushing in waves. The city didn’t have any defenders to protect all the battlements.

Soon enough, the high skilled knights took the upper hand on the miserable garrison, who had been slaughtered there. Courage was not enough against those demons.

Odo tried to exterminate as many of those parasitic as he could with his cavalry, but he was fated to die there, on the Burgundian snow he loved so much.

His last words were for France apparently.

The defeat was clear and the Germans didn’t seem having suffered a lot of casualties, contrary to the French garrison, destroyed.

The barbarians sacked the city, and the people.

I roared, hearing the word “Pillage”. Those Germans would be punished soon enough. I was eager to go to battle now. I feared the same fate for Rheims and my son Raoul. I couldn’t afford to lose another people I loved.

Jamais.