View Poll Results: Favorite faction to play as so far?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mordor

22 6.53%
  • Gondor

78 23.15%
  • Rohan

22 6.53%
  • Isengard

29 8.61%
  • Rhun

12 3.56%
  • Dale

13 3.86%
  • Balchoth

5 1.48%
  • Variags

7 2.08%
  • Harad

6 1.78%
  • Eriador/Men of the West

33 9.79%
  • Reunited Kingdom

30 8.90%
  • Beornings

7 2.08%
  • Dwarves of Erebor

24 7.12%
  • Dwarves of Ered Luin

8 2.37%
  • Orocarni Dwarves

25 7.42%
  • High Elves

40 11.87%
  • Galadhrim Elves

25 7.42%
  • Mirkwood Elves

17 5.04%
  • Avari Elves

31 9.20%
  • Dunlendings

5 1.48%
  • Corsairs and Outlaws

10 2.97%
  • Orcs of the Misty Mountains

5 1.48%
  • Orcs of Gundabad

5 1.48%
  • Brood of Ancalagon

6 1.78%
  • Brood of Glaurung

2 0.59%
  • Brood of Scatha

2 0.59%
  • Spawn of Ungoliant

2 0.59%
  • Creatures of the Night

2 0.59%
  • Creations of Eru

9 2.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 258 of 258 FirstFirst ... 158 208 233 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258
Results 5,141 to 5,160 of 5160

Thread: Dagor Ennor (aka PCP) ~ M2TW & TATW Re-Imagined ~ 31 Factions + 32 Rebel Factions ~ MAXED Buildings/Units/Regions ~ Interact with ALL the indigenous peoples of Middle-Earth... and then terminate them with extreme prejudice.

ElvenKind's Avatar Enjoy your life!

Default Re: Dagor Ennor (aka PCP) ~ M2TW & TATW Re-Imagined ~ 31 Factions + 32 Rebel Factions ~ MAXED Buildings/Units/Regions ~ Interact with ALL the indigenous peoples of Middle-Earth... and then terminate them with extreme prejudice.

@alreadyded, I can`t download any of the two UI folders which you had uploaded to Google Drive, neither this one, nor this last one above.

Even with being signed in into my Google account. When clicking on "Download anyway", it does not start downloading.

Google, you piece of .
    TATW Local Moderator
    Proud supporter of TATW,MOS,PCP, DaC!! -
    TWC Guide for new members by
    Shankbot- EK`s Install Thread - * Under proud patronage of one and only StealthFox *
    Want to be a new Justin B ?
    Want to learn pro photo editing?
    Best food in your own kitchen!
    Start your own business, and enjoy it!

alreadyded's Avatar Work up a #6 on 'em!

Default Re: Dagor Ennor (aka PCP) ~ M2TW & TATW Re-Imagined ~ 31 Factions + 32 Rebel Factions ~ MAXED Buildings/Units/Regions ~ Interact with ALL the indigenous peoples of Middle-Earth... and then terminate them with extreme prejudice.

HERE is a updated one that fixes some TATW images that don't match sizes with all the rest. Apparently they must all be the same size so vanilla TATW has this bug too if that is the cause. I guess no one plays campaigns long enough to find out maybe. Gigantus was very adamant about the size thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Geez... looks like this Beta test has finally run out of steam. Whelp I got way more playtesting and feedback than I ever expected so I am happy. I may not bother updating this thread anymore though.
    I've been MIA because I had to replace my computer and can't successfully install the game on the new one. Part of the problem is I purchased Medieval II Total War through digital download from Gamefly way back when, and having trouble with the activation code crap now. I just found the dvd on Amazon and ordered it so I'll give that a shot.

I have enough feedback on the TA now to make a update, further testing is always appreciated though, especially campaign balance.

Downloaded the new files from the link above(Mega), copy/pasted the files, and continued my Thandruil campaign. Just realised (in my first battle) that Legolas`s bodyguards are silver surfers.

What to change in the files?
    TATW Local Moderator
    Shankbot- EK`s Install Thread - * Under proud patronage of one and only StealthFox *

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    Downloaded the new files from the link above(Mega), copy/pasted the files, and continued my Thandruil campaign. Just realised (in my first battle) that Legolas`s bodyguards are silver surfers.

What to change in the files?
    Probably a bug from making the First Age;

Code:
    10 elf_guard2 1 1 
    47 unit_models/_units/my_units/elf_guard_lod0.mesh 6400 
    7 hungary 
    48 unit_models/_Units/my_units/textures/elf.texture 
    55 unit_models/_Units/my_units/textures/elf_normal.texture 
    42 unit_sprites/mongols_elf_guard2_sprite.spr
    4 merc 
    7 hungary 
    60 unit_models/_units/my_units/textures/elf2_attachment.texture 
    66 unit_models/_units/my_units/textures/elf_attachment_normal.texture 0 
    4 merc 
    66 unit_models/_units/my_units/textures/elf_attachment_normal.texture 
    4 None 
    27 MTW2_Fast_Longbowman_String 
    16 MTW2_2HSwordsman 1 
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 
    24 MTW2_2HSwordsman_Primary 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 
    14 elf_guard2_upg 
    1 1 
    4 merc 
    7 hungary 
    4 merc 
    7 hungary 
    4 None 
    16 MTW2_2HSwordsman 1 
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 
    Change '4 merc ' to '7 mongols ' in the db or add a new entry.

They have a merc entry so they should have textures but maybe merc doesn't work with bodyguard units (I can't remember, it doesn't work with certain units I know that, I guess it was bodyguards/generals/captains), I added mongols alongside merc below so you can just copy/paste that.

Code:
    10 elf_guard2 1 1 
    7 mongols 
    7 hungary 
    4 merc 
    7 mongols 
    7 hungary 
    4 merc 
    4 None 
    16 MTW2_2HSwordsman 1 
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 
    14 elf_guard2_upg 
    1 1 
    7 hungary 
    4 merc 
    7 mongols 
    4 merc 
    7 hungary 
    7 mongols 
    4 None 
    16 MTW2_2HSwordsman 1 
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 
    Edit; Just tested it and the above code works for me. The unit doesn't have mercenary_unit in the .edu so that may be why, I haven't tested it yet though. I will check it out, there may be more bodyguards like this.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyee View Post
    The quality of mordor troops (mostly first tier) can't compete against gondor's (second, third and fourth tiers--rarely militias).
    Were you using the Dread Banner units at all? They are supposed to provide a boost to make Orc units compete better when fighting around them. I may need to boost them more. I will give Orc faction's generals another boost to birth traits too to make them more useful at commanding and money making (more loot bonus for winning too I guess). The units are supposed to be kinda crappy and good generals and those dread banners should make up for it was what I was going for, the weak economy was certainly not intentional, you should have the best to keep buying those crap units while still building up your economy. Losing battles shouldn't matter too much as Mordor as long as you can keep the pressure on and keep wearing them down. This way you eventually win like Mordor should but it is not easy and takes time (like 400-500 turns I guess before you know you will inevitably win and probably stop playing as Mordor, other factions should be 600+ turns).

I do plan on adding more units to the Orc factions though and a breeding tech tree that will allow various stages of goblins and orcs breed with humans to make stronger half-goblin/orc units (for the First Age but I will reuse it for at least Mordor in the Third Age). It is just a idea on the list for now but unless I think of something better I will probably do something like that.

I will get Mordor fixed though, even if it means making them way OP in the next patch. I prefer they be way OP and scale them back from there than not be OP enough, at least the campaigns will make more sense. Campaign balance is my main priority right now (and bugs of course) unless the BAI is sucking. After that I plan to move to unit making again and get all artsy-fartsy.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 13, 2017 at 01:54 PM.

In the campaign that I played as Mordor I did not use Dread Banner Units. The Building trees had changed and Dread Banner units aren't in the barracks so I didn't get around to prioritizing them for production. However, in my campaign as Mordor I rarely had a problem fighting in battles without them because the only generals I used were the Witch King and Lammen Gorthaur. Two excellent units which usually make up for the Dread Banners absence.

Still, when a senior Gondor general and Swan knights appeared in force (four swan units--two on horseback--in a 3/4 stack) with Citadel spears and Gondor infantry/spears things undermined even those generals. I had three units of armoured and experienced Orc Spears/Raiders, a goblin rider unit and Black Numenorean Cavalry on my left wing while the Witch King and another Black Numenorean Cavalry unit swept past Gondor's line on my right wing. I had a full stack of veteran first/second tier infantry/archers and the high ground so i wasn't worried. The Swan knights cavalry struck my left wing while the Witch King was wheeling around Gondor's rear to strike the Gondorian archers. He was now at the furthermost point from my left wing that he could be and still be in the battle. After a few seconds engaging the swan knights my left wing collapsed. Three units--750 troops--were running for the border with the swan knights slicing through them as they went. I was stunned. The high ground was quite close to the border so I was in danger of losing my left wing entirely and fearful that the center would fold, too. The Black numenorean cavalry engaged the swan knights while the goblin riders were chasing down the gondorian general but despite their presence the routed units would not rally and withdrew. I threw everything I had at that general--spears, raiders, archer fire--while the witch king and the Black Numenoreans continuously struck the rear of gondor. Once Gondor's general perished, the battle stablized and I won. Yet many units were decimated and my advance stalled for a few turns. Great battle.

I think that had there been a Dread Banner unit in the force the left wing would not have routed--so they are definitely important to Mordor's battle strategy. Having not used them I can't say whether they need a boost, though.

Orc generals do need a boost--as I've outlined above, I don't use orc generals for fighting unless there's no other option. They usually have less dread than nazgul/witch king/Lammen gothaur and less mobility so make much better city administrators.

An OP Mordor AI? I look forward to providing input on it!

When playing as High Elves I noticed that rebel generals in Eraedor were invisible.

Also when playing as High Elves the Corsairs owned territories that blocked Harad from striking Gondor, but Harad would not attack the Corsairs due to their evil cultural alignment. That permitted the Corsairs to trade with Gondor and boost Gondor's income for an extended period of time. The affinity between Gondor and the Corsairs needs to be tweaked to shorten this period of truce/trade.

Alrighty, thanks.

UNIT UI glitch Fix !!!!!

After testing the "building UI glitch" with that last Mega link which was provided, I can say that I think the building UI glitch has been solved.

But, there has still been "Unit info UI glitch" present, which happens after you start right clicking on units (in the Unit build section in your towns) and, after some 10-20 clicks, you get a UI glitch.

So, I could not help it but to look into this matter, and, after two days of testing + fixing + verifying, I can say that I have found the problem, and A SOLUTION for the Unit info card UI Glitch.

The problem was that someone, who was making unit info pictures, was making them 432x172, instead of default 423x172 size, and thus, many of them were wider than the default ones.

I have spent last two days fixing almost all of them which were 432x172 (and there were less than half of over 1000 info files which had to be changed ).

Here is the link to the new UI folder: http://www.mediafire.com/file/z5vw32.../unit_info.rar

NOTE!! Make a backup of your ui folder first if you wish to have it backed up.

Just download the new ui folder, extract somewhere, and copy/paste in your Medieval II Total War/mods/ Third_Age_3 (PCP folder)/ data/ ui folder.

When asked what to do, press "Copy and replace" for all files and folders.

It would be good to have feedback on this.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; August 15, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
    TATW Local Moderator

I have a CTD at turn 124 playing as high elves with the latest building UI glitch patch and ElvenKind's Unit UI glitch patch.

In North Tharbad I right clicked on the Baron's Stables image in the construction window. Once the info panel opened up I right clicked on the 'Noretirno Ridanias' line in the list of units for recruitment at this level. I had an immediate CTD and then after restarting the game and retracing my steps and right clicking on the same unit on the same recruitment list it resulted in an immediate graphical glitch.

ElvenKind, you mention that not all info images have been fixed, so is this one of the outstanding images?

So far these two patches have been excellent. Up until T124, I have been playing without any problems at all. No glitches right clicking unit or building images, whether in the construction/recruitment windows or in the city/army tray beneath the campaign map.

However, this is the first time I have been "right clicking within right clicking".

I'm hoping this unit's info image is one of the ones not yet resized. If it is, then this glitch problem is finally resolved. I would be very happy to see that happen. If it's not, then we have progressed to stable right clicking on one image at a time. That I can easily live with.

Thanks for all the hard work on these files, ElvenKind. Between you and Alreadyded's flurry of UI patches, I think this issue is almost done!

That could be from the stables info image, it is compressed (targa 10) and shouldn't be (targa 2). Many building info images (and probably unit info too) are like that, many aren't, this difference when switching between could be the problem you experienced.

I only fixed the small images. Gigantus said the info images didn't have to be the same because only one is shown at a time. However, Elvenkind has evidence otherwise. Perhaps switching between info images without closing the one before has the same effect, or something silly like that.

@Elvenkind, I can't get them glitch no matter how much I click so I can't test it for you. I will try a bunch of right clicking within right clicking to see I can get it glitch out.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 16, 2017 at 08:22 PM.

@ Tyee, here is what you should do: re-download this latest UI folder which I had uploaded two days ago ( you probably downloaded the first one, where I had missed to fix like 15-20 units ), and, go to your:

M2TW/ mods/ Third_Age_3 = folder with PCP files/ data/ ui folder ,and rename shared.SD and strategy.SD file to something else ( I had just added number 2 to their names - shared2 and strategy2 ). Try your save game again.

@alreadyded, I think that renaming shared.SD and strategy.SD file to something else (along with your new UI for the buildings, and mine for the units) should get rid of this game breaking UI glitch.

I have some more testing to do these days, so will report back.

First Report:

Looks like shared.SD IS the main problem for the UI glitch.

With both files renamed, I do not get a single glitch when right clicking on units or buildings (to get to the info cards ).

With renaming strategy.SD back to original strategy.SD, glitch does not happen.

With renaming shared.SD back to original shared.SD, glitch happens after couple of right clicks ( on units). Tested it few times already.

The only problem with shared.SD file being renamed is that, some factions don`t have their banners represented (Brood of Scatha and Ancalagon, Creatures of the Night, Beornings etc.) , as you can see from these images: http://imgur.com/a/UMPdm

Edit: King Celeborn battle model is silver surfer (Galadhrim faction )
    Last edited by ElvenKind; August 17, 2017 at 11:32 AM.
    TATW Local Moderator

The only problem with shared.SD file being renamed is that, some factions don`t have their banners represented (Brood of Scatha and Ancalagon, Creatures of the Night, Beornings etc.) , as you can see from these images: http://imgur.com/a/UMPdm

Edit: King Celeborn battle model is silver surfer (Galadhrim faction )
    'Third_Age_PCP\data\Third_Age\data\ui' is where the new shared.sd needs go to file swap the banners. If you aren't using my .bat launchers then I am not sure what is going on.

I'll get the silver fixed, thanks.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 17, 2017 at 01:05 PM.

I haven't used .bat file launchers at all, only Third Age.bat. I'll see to do it tomorrow.
    TATW Local Moderator

Success!

Using the Third_Age bat with a full reinstall of 3.2, PCP 9.51 (with the third age campaign install), the latest building ui glitch patch and the latest unit ui patch with renamed shared.sd file and renamed strategy.sd file (both renamed to shared2 and strategy2), I am happy to report that my Turn 173 save file could allow me to open the construction window, right click Militia Barracks to bring up unit list and then right click all the units listed (7 in all) without a single glitch. Further, I then selected the Baron's Stables and right clicked it's list of 4 units without glitching. Then I selected the Marksmen's Range and right clicked the 3 units listed there. No glitches at all. I did not close any of these unit info panels and when I did so I closed the building ranges and barracks before the unit info panels--no glitches. So 14 unit info panels right clicked without glitching!! Fabulous!!!

This was the last set of variables to test after testing 3.2, PCP 9.51, latest building and unit ui patches with:
    3rd_Age bat with shared.sd renamed only--glitch on 3th attempt right clicking units in barracks list
    Third_Age bat with shared.sd renamed only--glitch on 4th attempt right clicking units in barracks list
    3rd_Age bat with shared.sd renamed and strategy.sd renamed--glitch on 4th attempt right clicking in barracks list

I didn't bother testing the strategy.sd by itself as EvenKind indicated this was not the issue. However, unlike him, I had to use both the shared.sd and strategy.sd renamed to create these results.

Hopefully others can recreate these results and this issue can be put to rest.

My only concern is which bat file is the one to use--the 3rd_Age bat file (25 kb size) or the Third_Age bat file (1 kb size). What, if anything, am I missing if I use the Third_Age bat file that is the glitch-free one?

No need to use the 3rd_Age bat file unless you ran the 1st_Age one. After installing the Third Age as default just use your Third_Age bat file to launch. My bat files swap stuff, which just puts the bugged .sd files back in instead of regen new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    'Third_Age_PCP\data\Third_Age\data\ui' is where the new shared.sd needs go to file swap the banners. If you aren't using my .bat launchers then I am not sure what is going on.
    Do I need to rename the shared.sd and strategy.sd (for testing) in Third_Age_PCP\data\Third_Age\data\ui folder, or, in Third_Age_PCP\data\ui folder?

Little confused here, since there are two sets of those files

@Tyee, great to hear you do not get a UI glitch.

Now, keep your enemies away from your borders, and make the biggest empire the Middle Earth has ever seen!
    TATW Local Moderator

Do I need to rename the shared.sd and strategy.sd (for testing) in Third_Age_PCP\data\Third_Age\data\ui folder, or, in Third_Age_PCP\data\ui folder?

Little confused here, since there are two sets of those files
    You want to rename them in the live folder, that is, Third_Age_PCP\data\ui in order to cause the rebuild. I've also noticed that this removes the faction banners for a few places, but it does seem to fix the CTDs so it's worth it. The problem is, once it's regenerated, it will simply be overwritten by any future use of the 3rd_Age.bat or other age switcher .bat files. So perhaps the best solution is to rename the one I indicated, start the game so they're regenerated, then quit the game. Now you should have a fresh shared.sd and strategy.sd in Third_Age_PCP\data\ui. Now rename the ones in data\Third_Age\data\ui to something else so you have a backup of the old version in case you need to restore it, then copy the freshly generated ones from data\ui\ to Third_Age\data\ui so that the file switcher now has the updated versions in case you ever use it again.

Don't mess with the files in First_Age, Third_Age, Fourth_Age folders inside your data folder, these are for my file swappers. If you are not using the my file swappers to switch Ages (like I do constantly) just mod the game as usual and run it as usual (Third_Age.bat).

There is no need to use the file swappers, I made them for me, the installers do the same and should be used instead. Installing the Third Age Campaigns installer does the same as the 3rd_Age.bat that swaps files. The swappers are installers in .bat form and will replace any files you modified if you use them, they only need to be used once just like the installers.
    Last edited by alreadyded; Yesterday at 01:05 PM.