Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Unpacking: The very first steps & simplest method for new modders

Default Re: Unpacking: The very first steps & simplest method for new modders

Im still having some trouble with unpacking, i have been trying to figure out the problem for 4 hours straight. I have win7 and everytime i try to unpack the files it starts without problems but seem to cancel itself when it reaches around 26000, and there is no files to be found anywhere. Is there a simple way to fix this? And just to be clear, my only intention so far is to change the names of some generals. Hope someone have an answer for me cause this is getting on my nerves.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Yeah, as old as Vista 1.0. Disable the UAC. http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to...-in-windows-7/

Now, you'll get your last 10,000+ files.

Right, seems like i have files i need right now. Didn't have to disable the UAC. It seems like the files where placed in a rather strange place: C:\Users\Rosenfeldt\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\data.

But now a new problem emerges, i have changed the name of William (the England starting king) just for fun, i did it both in descr_strat and in descr_names. But now i cant choose the grand campaign. When i push the grand campaign it says that i have to choose an item from the list. I have deleted those two nessesary files and i have added the: [io]
    file_first = true to the medieval2.preference.cfg file.

Delete the map.rwm and start an ewn campaign.

If this does not work, post the log.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Delete the map.rwm and start an ewn campaign.

If this does not work, post the log.
    What's an ewn campaign?

Ahh it seems i have made some progress. The descr_strat file had somehow been deleted. After i put it back into the folder, the grand campaign worked, but still didn't show the name of my edited William. He just appereared nameless. So should i move the descr_names from that weird folder and into the actual game folder to make it work or what?

It's a typo, Sir Ron meant "new".

What are you trying to do btw? i don't want to read the above posts. Tired.

I am trying to rename some Generals in the game, im getting a bit tired of seeing those Danish general names so i wanted to update them a bit, including editing the names of the starting generals. But everytime i try it either crashes or doesn't show the name ingame

He mentions if you are using the Gold edition that you need to download some additional files but its not clear which files? I am using the Gold edition but I have the unpacker. However when I try to run it I am missing .dll file so maybe I am missing something. What files does he mean and where to download them from?

You mean these listed at the bottom of the OP?

Yep those files... I noticed them after I already downloaded them from somewhere else. No idea how I missed them the first time.

Thank you Userpro!

neryan's Avatar Foederatus

I'm having a problem with unpacking. I unpacked the files (i had to wait that "long" unpacking time) bu i can't seem to find them. no error happened but they're not in the data folder (or nowhere else i can think of)...

This is particulary strange since it says the destination of the files when its unpacking and i'm sure i saw the data folder.

Btw, i have windows 8, kingdoms and all the patches.

Thanks
    Do you know the problem with the Iraqi army? They were using Russian defense tactics:

1. Engage the enemy. -

2. Draw him into your territory. -

3. Wait until winter sets in. -

Btw, i read that the game would crash in battles if i didnt remove some files. I just gave it a try (to know if it had been or not unpacked) and the game indeed crashed when i went for a battle... which means i just can't find the files (are they hidden files? if so how can i see them in windows 8?)

thanks
    Do you know the problem with the Iraqi army? They were using Russian defense tactics:

1. Engage the enemy. -

Have you unhid all files and folders and drives in Folder Options and took a look in users\username\appdata\roaming\you'reonyourown?

Have you unhid all files and folders and drives in Folder Options and took a look in users\username\appdata\roaming\you'reonyourown?
    i unhid all files, folders and drives. i dont know what i'm supposed to do in that folder you just said. i go to that roaming folder and there's nothing m2tw related in there.

1. Engage the enemy. -

The Creative Assembly folder possibly? SEGA?
    Post a pic of the roaming folder.

Last edited by neryan; November 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

1. Engage the enemy. -

I don't see anything familiar there.
    In Computer top-right corner, type data, and follow them all until you find it.

I don't see anything familiar there.
    In Computer top-right corner, type data, and follow them all until you find it.
    God, thank you!!! it wasn't in the roaming folder but in the "local" folder (and a few more folders inside that )

Now, what should i do? Move this data folder inside my m2tw one?

1. Engage the enemy. -