Thread: How to avoid the black screen bug and put the starting camera on your faction´s capital.

Default How to avoid the black screen bug and put the starting camera on your faction´s capital.

When in a campaign you unlock a faction that was originally not playable, it is very possibly that you will find yourself on the first turn with a black screen like this.

In this case i unlocked the mamelukes and had that black screen greeting me on the first turn. Sometimes the game freezes, while other times you can just click the minimap and the camera will go normally to that location. Still i found this quite annoying and preventing on having a good campaign game, so i tried to fix this while conserving the fog of war.

This tutorial is aimed to avoid this bug, and also follow the style of the other playable nations by CA and put the camera over your capital.
    You need the ESF editor, as well as a faction which you have unlocked and you are having this black screen bug.

Open your startpos.esf and locate the region on which your capital city is, then open the tabs until you find the city itself. You will see two tabs which are the coordinates X and Y. Note down those numbers (no need to copy all decimals, just the first 2-3 numbers). Something important to keep in mind is that the coordinate might be only the first two (like -10) or three (like -102), they way to know which one of these is correct is unfortunately only testing. But you can also use logic and by looking at the other coordinates you already have, you can figure more or less which number it is (for example, a europe map will have a lot more of X than Y, as it is very wide, so it makes sense that the X coordinate will be a high number, bigger than the Y).

Then open your scripting.lua file of that campaign, and add the following command like in this example:

Code:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --
    -- POSITIONS THE STARTING CAMERA APPROPRIATELY DEPENDING ON THE CURRENT FACTION AND GAMETYPE, SETS UP THE INITIAL MISSION
    --

local function OnFactionTurnStart(context)

if conditions.TurnNumber(context) == 1 then

out.ting("Give Napoleon's army some hella XP on startup")
            scripting.game_interface:award_experience_level("faction:egy_french_republic,surname:619", 3)

-- Limit diplomacy
            diplomacy_starting_restrictions()

if conditions.FactionIsLocal(context) then
                -- If it's France's turn then position the camera over Alexandria
                if conditions.FactionName("egy_french_republic", context) and conditions.FactionIsHuman("egy_french_republic", context) then
                    scripting.game_interface:set_zoom_limit(1.00, 0.61)
                    CampaignUI.SetCameraZoom(0.9)
                    CampaignUI.SetCameraTargetInstant(-133.0, -29.0)

-- If it's the Ottoman's turn then position the camera over Damascus
                elseif conditions.FactionName("egy_ottomans", context) and conditions.FactionIsHuman("egy_ottomans", context) then
                    CampaignUI.SetCameraTargetInstant(121.0, 89.0)

-- If it's the Mameluke's turn then position the camera over Cairo
                elseif conditions.FactionName("egy_mamelukes", context) and conditions.FactionIsHuman("egy_mamelukes", context) then
                    CampaignUI.SetCameraTargetInstant(-99.0, -90.0)

end
            end
        end    
    end
    The command is this one:

Code:

-- If it's France's turn then position the camera over Alexandria
                if conditions.FactionName("egy_french_republic", context) and conditions.FactionIsHuman("egy_french_republic", context) then
                    CampaignUI.SetCameraTargetInstant(-133.0, -29.0)
        end    
    end
    You have to introduce instead of "egy_french_republic" the internal name of your faction, for the mamelukes i introduced "egy_mamelukes" which is their internal name. Then you have to replace the numbers (-133, -29 in the example) of the coordinates, by the ones you noted down in the startpos. Those numbers are not going to be 100% accurate, if you want your camera to be perfectly set with the city exactly in the middle of the screen, you will have to change them a bit more by increasing/decreasing the values. See how i did it for the mamelukes, the coordinates for cairo in the startpos are not the same that the ones i wrote in the script, i changed them slightly.

After that just save your scripting.lua and start your campaign, the result should be something like this:

Last edited by Hellenikon; March 09, 2010 at 07:16 AM.

Default Re: How to avoid the black screen bug and put the starting camera on your faction´s capital.

nice +rep

Default Re: How to avoid the black screen bug and put the starting camera on your faction´s capital.

Very nice Bucefaloˇ

+rep

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Yes- well done. Informative and easy to understand.

Excellent resource.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Thanks guys, i fixed some typos and reworded some things to explain them better. Now it should be more clear how to assign the X and Y coordinates. Cheers.

Good resource but I think the numbers for camera are always from regions.esf and not startpos.

Just a simple question
    how do you enable the choice menu for the Mameluk faction in Napoleon's Campaign ?

You just unlock the campaign and then make them playable as I did in RTI and Warpath.

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    You just unlock the campaign and then make them playable as I did in RTI and Warpath.
    How do you unlock the campaign ? I don't have any Mameluk faction in the startpos data\campaigns\mp_eur_napoleon ; I have it in mp_egy_napoleon , but there no choice between faction

TXKS

Working ; just make sure to pick up 3 digital for x and 2 digitals for Y
    in this exemple
    CampaignUI.SetCameraTargetInstant(-102.0, -85.0)

How can be added the Bedoin's ?

adding this script ; makes the game freeze

-- If it's Bedouin's turn then position the camera over Muzziena
    if conditions.FactionName("egy_bedouin", context) and conditions.FactionIsHuman("egy_bedouin", context) then
    CampaignUI.SetCameraTargetInstant(17.00, -143.00)
    end
    end
    Last edited by kungfuserge; April 26, 2010 at 09:16 AM.

♔Icebear77♔'s Avatar Biarchus

Hope you can help me, because your tut does not work for me (but your tut is great!!). At the start of a camp with a unlocked faction, i dont have a black screen. My camera is always in the center of the map and does not move to the capital-city (tried out with spain).