Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 40658081828384858687888990
Results 1,781 to 1,797 of 1797

Thread: Guide to the ETW map

Miles

Default Re: Guide to the ETW map

Though the possibility to split regions or expand into "brown area" for like the whole world is the core point. There also should be a statement about this from CA or even, finally, a tool release.

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by SanderP View Post
    Though the possibility to split regions or expand into "brown area" for like the whole world is the core point. There also should be a statement about this from CA or even, finally, a tool release.
    CA explained before that map is compiled by their extremely complex overnight build system and there's no hope for any tool release like that for older games.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

CA state they will not support TW games except the current last one.
    This explain why they halt support to TWS2 Assembly kit since TWR2 release.
    Likely the same for TWR2 Assembly kit since Attila release.

Moreover, for having tried to discuss about ETW with some of CA devs, ETW is a real taboo. Look like they would like forget about it.

About the unused region trick, you can consider it's better than nothing or not, this doesn't change the fact that it doesn't change the inability to modify the campaign map.
    It's like saying that modders can modify AI. Modders can only tweak it by modifying db and startpos parameters.
    But even being limited to working on open parameters already allows some very good results. Look at Empire Realism for instance.
    Last edited by wangrin; June 10, 2015 at 02:52 PM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Marso's Avatar Foederatus

Hello everyone;
    Is there a way to add the warpath campaign's new territories to the gran campaign? It's so bad to see an empty space in the middle of the north america while there's a war for each piece of land in the world, from India to Canada.
    Thanks.

Patrician Artifex

No, it is still not possible to create new region or even split existing one.
    Researches on ETW campaign map are frozen.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Hi guys,

I need some hints about mapping. Any starting clue will also be helpful. I want Afghanistan included in Europe not in india and according to that, it should also not be seen in India. Where should I start ? (Im not a newbie at modding)

In addition to that Aghanistan and Beluchistan can also be like Karakum desert near Caspian Sea. No building no region no owner but passable by armies. (Actually i prefer this one but Im ok with the first option too.)

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance =)

Patrician Artifex

I doubt what you want is possible.

First, the campaign map is divided in theaters, and theaters are rectangular boxes.
    And, to my knowledge, it is not possible to modify this.

Historically, Afghanistan was powerful during the XVIIIth century, so, it make sense CA didn't make it a desert.
    Moreover, it is not possible to modify the campaign map, adding region as well as removing cities, because of the link with pathfinding.
    What was done by a Russian team and used in Empire Destroyer, is a tweak. They use already existing void region and added cities by using the dynamic pathfinding related to forts.
    To my knowledge, it is not possible to delete existing static pathfinding

Firstly thanks for answering.

Secondly let me ask about my last option. Afghanistan can stay its original theatre. Because of I am deeply obsessed with symmetry I dont want to see Afghanistan in minimap when I looked the minimap from India theatre. It really annoys me. Beluchistan cant be seen which is ok but I cant stand seeing Afghanistan top of the India peninsula on the minimap. Seeing Beluchistan in India theatre is also ok whichever is easier.

Miles

Any chance on reading this, CA, finally remove the restrictions aka your "modding tools", it's been eleven years, release the ones from useless restrictions so we can finally do something worthwhile with them, I'm just smh at that point

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    I doubt what you want is possible.

First, the campaign map is divided in theaters, and theaters are rectangular boxes.
    And, to my knowledge, it is not possible to modify this.

Historically, Afghanistan was powerful during the XVIIIth century, so, it make sense CA didn't make it a desert.
    Moreover, it is not possible to modify the campaign map, adding region as well as removing cities, because of the link with pathfinding.
    What was done by a Russian team and used in Empire Destroyer, is a tweak. They use already existing void region and added cities by using the dynamic pathfinding related to forts.
    To my knowledge, it is not possible to delete existing static pathfinding
    As far as I understood, the issue with adding resources is circumvented by hybrid startpos (actually suggested in #763), splitting a region - or adding one on africa for example will already have the land/travel info already there but offset so you cannot go - solve that like was done in this thread. So adding things isn't an issue - no research was done into splitting/adding regions, and I think there was issues trying to make land passable (one managed to land troops on madagascar but would not move inland). I don't think anybody did any further work here in adding regions.

I do recall something about ETW skipping some regions they had intended to add (cant find the post, something about how NTW regions are sequential and ETW has gaps). If work was to be done researching how to activate these unused IDs and then add it to the map, surely the hybrid startpos hack will do the rest in regards to the pathfinding?

I've just finished reading this whole thread for the 2nd time, going to re-read and try and grasp/experiment with what was researched, but it would be working in the dark for me with limited knowledge.
    Last edited by aleheroix; April 23, 2021 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    No, it is still not possible to create new region or even split existing one.
    Researches on ETW campaign map are frozen.
    Frankly, it is possible. If you download the mod Imperial Destroyer you will see that there are new regions added to the campaign map: Banjar (which is located in East Indies) as well as Khanate of Khiva (between Russia and Persia).

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Your picture makes me tempted to try the Imperial Destroyer mod.

+rep
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Just beware that if you play as Banjar, the game will crash whenever you open: government tab -> policies tab (the tab with taxes). I think some native regions are added too. Here is Khanate of Khiva:

Last edited by scaniavikings; April 28, 2021 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Corrected information

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out, as xml2esf doesn't annotate it, but in pathfinding-areas, 0, 1, 2, 3 refer to the corners of the current cell being drawn. 0 = bottom left, 1 = top left, 2 = bottom right, 3 = top right.

I'll keep looking, let's see if I can cracked the mystery of unknown2 and those 2bytes!

(Don't mind me picking up where we left off 8 years ago.)

If you don't want to fiddle with any of the vertex coordinate stuff (and don't care too much about inaccurate boundaries) you can just set a cell boundary entry's vertex_index to 0, and it will use the first one in the list which is "4 0 2 1 3" which represents the entire cell in question.
    Then set the passable_part to "255 (of 255)" which represents a shape that takes up the entire cell.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosRobie View Post
    If you don't want to fiddle with any of the vertex coordinate stuff (and don't care too much about inaccurate boundaries) you can just set a cell boundary entry's vertex_index to 0, and it will use the first one in the list which is "4 0 2 1 3" which represents the entire cell in question.
    Then set the passable_part to "255 (of 255)" which represents a shape that takes up the entire cell.
    Glad that someone continues the debugging! How is it going for you my friend?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Encouraging. Please continue.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.