Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: - Preview I - The Romans -

Default - Preview I - The Romans -

Welcome to the relaunch of the Roman preview. Here we'll show You the first of six upcoming previews that will showcase the look of the next installment of INVASIO BARBARORVM - RVINA ROMAE. In this first part we take a look at the New Romans of Late Antiquity. Here You'll see some examples of the new portraits, events, units and other features that we hope will capture the atmosphere of the era.

Please note that all the material in this preview are work in progress, and have been altered for the purpose of this presentation. These effects do not appear ingame.

- The New Rome -

"So Rome stands, alone in pride above barbarian lands."

- Prudentius

"Rome" denotes a place, an institution, and a politico-cultural symbol. Around 300 Rome was at its physical acme and also, therefore, at the beginning of its long decline. Though its grandeur had peaked, Rome remained the showpiece of western civilization until the Gothic War in 535 - 554, when irony struck hard. Emperor Justinian, determined to "reconquer" the Roman lands of the west, initiated a series of military campaigns that devastated Rome and the Italian peninsula. Such was the cost of its liberation. About 200 years earlier, when the senate celebrated another liberation, this time by Constantine, little did they know what he had in store for them. Although the immensely wealthy, culturally conservative aristocracy maintained its buildings and its rituals, its political vigeour was lost. The imperial greatness of the Eternal city had passed onto its eastern sibling. In Constantinople one could find a new Rome, a Christian Rome.

The three-day sack of Rome by the Goths in 410 shocked the world. Buildings were burned and churches looted. Though despite its epoch-making symbolism, the damage was quickly overcome. Public buildings were repaired, and the popes recompensed the pillaged churches and constructed lavish new ones. In 455 the Vandals looted the city for two weeks, yet despite this depredation the city immidiately resumed its role as a stage for traditional imperial ceremonial. The succession of Gothic kings to power after 476 fostered a final revival, but Justinian's war marked the end of Rome as an imperial city.

When Constantine began searching for a new capital in 324, after defeating his rival Licinius, he wasn't breaking new ground. Plans for a new imperial center removed from Rome and identified with a particular emperor were not something new for the late antique world, accustomed as it was to such initiatives in the tetrarchic period. In the 5th century, building activity accelerated to such a degree that Constantinople became a metropolis. It housed its own senate, its own hippodrome, and its fortifications was undoubtably the best in the world.

When setting out to create this modification, we wanted to come away from the notion of the Roman empire as a culturally and politically stagnant rock. So, first of all, this is not republican Rome. It is not the principate, with emperors acting in the "republican theatre". This is an old and vast polyethnic empire, influenced by the history and cultures of three continents. But most of all - this is a world in change.

The Roman portraits is just one of the many features that's received a complete overhaul in order to adapt to the new era. Helmets, armour, clothes and hairstyles have been altered to fit. Below You can see a few examples of how they will look:

In RVINA ROMAE, all the factions have reworked and what we might call "historically more appropriate" event pictures. Many are brand new while others have been updated, like for example the "Character dies" picture that before had two grieving women in it, but now instead features a grieving woman and a Christian priest giving last rites to his dying countryman. Below you can see just a few examples of how these will look for the Romans.

Also the buildings have received quite an extensive overhaul in our attempt to not only make the images better suited to fit the era, but also to create an esthetic look that engulfs all buildings - i.e. no more mixing of styles.

Below You can see the three levels of what one might call "Roman political architecture"; the Arch, the Column, and the Statue. These are constructed to increase the happiness of the population as they are assured that Roman power and authority remains as potent as ever. They are, of course, also a very visible monument of an individual Emperor's or nobleman's attempt to aggrandize himself and his achievements.

Here is the new Roman interface:

Here are some of the units recruitable by the Roman factions:

- Candidati -

The Candidati are an elite force, chosen from the best individuals from the Schola Palatinae, and equipped and trained to the highest standards. They are loyal to the General who commands them. They are the perfect defenders of generals and family members on campaign.

These men are the 'comites dominorum nostrorum' (the companions of our lords) or the 'basilikon telos' in the Greek-speaking parts of the Empire, who are sworn to protect the persons of the Eastern Imperial household. The Praetorians were traditionally the guardians of the Emperors, but they became overmighty and too willing to kill their employers for political and financial advantage. It was quite clear that an Emperor who wished to die of old age would have to disband the Praetorians and create a new military elite that would be loyal to him. Under the tetrarchy the 'comites dominorum nostrorum' (the companions of our lords) came to fulfil many of the Praetorians' duties. Unlike the household guards of earlier eras, foreigners are not the majority in their ranks.

- Equites Promoti -

Equites Promoti are the regular cavalry of the late Roman Army.

The auxilia units in the Roman army were reorganised during the reforms carried out by Constantine and Diocletian over the previous century. Units were made smaller and 'handier', and mixed auxilia forces of infantry and cavalry were abandoned completely. They are somewhat more heavily armoured than auxilia forces, but not like the heavier Equites Catafractarii or the Equites Clibanarii - they would certainly suffer against heavy cavalry forces or spearmen, for example. That said, the Equites Promoti are more suited to fighting alongside the field armies of the comitatenses rather than used as garrison troops with the limitanei.

- Comitatus -

The departure of the Roman Army from Britannia created a power vacuum. Petty kings, warlords and even middle-ranking retired soldiers took power to defend their lands and their people.

The people of Britannia are conservative by nature and do not like sudden change. Although the Roman army has left, and the Empire itself has rejected their requests for help over the years, they still think of themselves as Roman citizens as well as Britons. A strong man who can command the loyalty of troops, provide security in the area he rules and at least give the appearance of upholding the old Roman ways will always find supporters. As a result, it is a good idea to stick to the old Roman ways of warfare. That way any warlord can claim to be acting for the good of 'Rome' and Britannia!

- Excubitors -

The Eastern Emperor Leo I ( 457-474 ), seeking a way to reduce the influence of the increasing trucelent Germanic ( primarily Gothic ) elements in the armed forces, employed the indigenous yet fierce Isaurians. Zeno ( 474-491 ), the successor of Leo, himself of Isaurian stock, enlisted many Isaurians and Armenians for the new legions.

Among the most trusted Isaurians a personal small guard unit were formed, the so-called Excubitores, literally meaning "those out of bed". Numbering 300 soldiers they replaced the now-ineffective Scholae and remained till the 7th century a first-class unit. By then they slowly diminished into a glorified parade unit, so sharing the fate of the Scholae they had once replaced.

Armed with heavy maces, the Excubitors are excellent melee fighters, dangerous for infantry and cavalry alike.

- Pedites Mauri -

For the Romans the Berber tribes of North Africa were proving themselves sometimes an assets, and sometimes an enemy. Often they allied with Rome, sending many of their warriors to the Roman Army. Besides their excellent light skirmisher cavalry, their light infantry shared that excellent reputation. With the ongoing decline of the Roman Empire, many of these veteran soldiers looked for new and better opportunities. Many did not get paid and subsequently deserted, offering their services to the many Berber warlords who promised them rich loot. Given their experience they were sought-after warriors and their services greatly improved their new masters“ prestige and power.

The Pedites Mauri were light and quick-moving infantry, equipped with a lot of javelins. Their tactics were to hit the enemy with their missiles, retreat and then repeat the same maneuver over and over again. For protection they had to rely on their shields and their fast movement.

If You wish to show Your support for RVINA ROMAE, feel free to use our banners:

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6889/banner00.png

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2396/banner01s.png

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2395/banner02t.png

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7958/banner03j.png

---

The Team of INVASIO BARBARORVM - RVINA ROMAE, consists of:

Gäiten - Units (models (improved and new) , textures (improved and new), related text-files), overworked map etc.
    Ihatemonday - Music & Environments etc.
    PSEUDO ROMANUS - Late Latin Soundmod & In-game vids etc.
    Joar - 2D art & Text work, traits, ancillaries etc.
    Last edited by Joar; December 24, 2010 at 03:20 AM.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Default Re: - Preview I - The Romans -

WOW, congrats gentlemen! Amazing stuff!!!

Looking good
    Looking forward for more preview.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    WOW, congrats gentlemen! Amazing stuff!!!
    Thanks, PM! Such kind words mean a lot coming from a distinguished gentleman such as Yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by zmv
    Looking forward for more preview.
    Yes, but first I need some sleep...

WOOOOOOOOOW epic stuff guys. keep up the great work

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

YES!!!! thank you gods! haha good preview cant wait to see more guys
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Lionheart's Avatar Decanus

Congrats! Amazing images i hope more will come to see light soon.
    Proud member of EB: Novus Ordo Mundi

Indeed, hell of a preview. You deserve rep for your efforts to make one of the most interesting periods in Roman history.
    "We'll go to the front—and beyond it, if it'll save the galaxy. Sometimes you have to enter the darkness to save the light."

juvenus's Avatar Campidoctor

Great work.
    Interrogative: Did excubitores really use a mace or it's your artistic thing?

clone's Avatar Primicerius

great work
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Absolutely incredible fellers, I have been looking forward to this, ever since I heard their was going to be a version 8. I cannot emphasise enough how impressed I am. Well done

Signature made by Joar

Mr Tuna's Avatar Senator

Im going to need some toilet paper for cleaning cuz this is just (mind)blowing.
    Drinking does to life what turning the radio up does to a car's engine problems.

-TnC

Well done!

Really great work - hoping for more previews.

This mod has caught my attention. I wasn't satisfied with any mod in BI's timeframe so far, but this looks wery promising.

Good luck to your work.
    "He will die, but you will be destroyed" - Marion. From the AAR "Sword of Albion" by Theodotos I.

Wow, this looks great! Keep up the good work!

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

GREAT STUFF!

Wow. I ask about the release date and a bit later a faction preview is released? May have to be a nosy bugger more often!

Fantastic preview, the new features look great!

great preview, and the retarded relative is possibly the greatest ancillary in RTW history

Dionisy's Avatar Civis

Fantastic work, mates! Keep your labours, we need IBRR

Hound of Ulster's Avatar Senator

nice work, especially on the potraits
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Killing is Negotiating' A militiaman in 'Blackhawk Down'

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast