Thread: Brandywine man is charged with killing neighbor

Default Brandywine man is charged with killing neighbor

Story

Brandywine man is charged with killing neighbor

By Matt Zapotosky
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010

As neighborhood disputes go, the ones between Ronald Ragland Sr. and Robert D. Mitchell were pretty trivial, neighbors said.

Who could throw a bigger cookout? Whose lawn was in better shape? These were the kinds of concerns, neighbors said, that had the two men shouting across the street at each other from their Brandywine homes.

But who could have foreseen this?

On Sunday afternoon, the two men again got into a shouting match in their usually quiet neighborhood of single-family homes with spacious yards in southern Prince George's County, neighbors and police said. The dispute ended when Mitchell told Ragland, "Well, go ahead and do what you're gonna do," one neighbor said. About 20 minutes later -- when things seemed to have calmed down -- shots were fired, the neighbor said.

Ragland is accused of fatally shooting Mitchell, 53, and wounding his 18-year-old son, also named Robert. The son, who neighbors say attends Gwynn Park High School, was expected to survive, police said.

"They always went back and forth," said Shante Rice, 34, who lives down the street on Charm Court and heard and saw parts of the encounter. "For it to get that far like that, that was terrible."

Ragland, 54, was arrested Sunday and charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and related counts, court records show. Officer Henry Tippett, a county police spokesman, said the two neighbors had been having regular arguments for the "past couple years." He said he was not sure what sparked the argument that preceded the shooting.

"Apparently, they just didn't get along," Tippett said.

Rice said Ragland appeared to have gotten a gun from his vehicle and fired it at a vehicle in which Mitchell and his son were riding. She said that when emergency crews arrived, Ragland's vehicle was parked at the end of his driveway with its trunk and door open. Paramedics had to remove the senior Mitchell from his vehicle before performing CPR.

Rice said Ragland had run-ins with other neighbors. On one occasion, she said, Ragland asked her daughter why she was standing on a corner and then said, "Only hookers stand on the corner." Her daughter, Rice said, was waiting for a bus.

"He was kind of belligerent," Rice said.

Court records did not list a lawyer for Ragland, and family members could not be reached for comment. Neighbors said he lived with his wife.

A woman in Mitchell's driveway who identified herself as his daughter said he was an Army veteran who was receiving disability payments. She declined to give her name or comment further. "We're all just trying to deal with it all," she said.

Bonnie Davis, 50, who knew both men, said Ragland, a retired general contractor, commonly criticized others in the neighborhood for landscaping issues, and she said he was sometimes provoked by Mitchell's son, who she said would swear at him. The real problem, she said, was that when Mitchell and Ragland argued, neither was willing to back down.

"Both of them had to have the last word," she said. "It's just sad."

Mitchell's death capped a weekend of violence in the region. In less than 24 hours, 12 people were shot, three fatally, in nine incidents in the District and its Maryland suburbs.
    This is stupider than shooting your neighbor for dumping leaves...you just can't trust people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
    "whatchutalkinboutwillis!?"

Whos Willis?

Default Re: Brandywine man is charged with killing neighbor

I had to restrain my hands from posting the ''garbage day'' video.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer
    I had to restrain my hands from posting the ''garbage day'' video.
    I don't get it...

I know the question, "So what're you going to do, shoot me?" is sort of asked when arguing over trivial matters...

I don't think anyone ever expected to actually be shot...

Whos Willis?

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

so what two guys hatted each other and one put the other over the edge?

BTW Croccer that is hilarious and just for kicks.

also it is garbage day for me.

according to exarch I am like
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiljan Arslan View Post
    so what two guys hatted each other and one put the other over the edge?
    According to the story it had gone on for years...

The guy shot the son too...

BTW Croccer that is hilarious and just for kicks.

also it is garbage day for me.

I still don't get it...

Whos Willis?

Knight_of_Ni's Avatar Centenarius
    Wouldn't YOU like to know? No, really, I'm lonely.

Sorry, but I thought of hobbits shooting each other at first...

Anyways, there is not much anyone could have done, at least legally. They didn't try to resolve their conflict and one guy choose to be an unreasonable dick and kill the other guy. Not much else to it, or at least thats they way it looks to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar109 View Post
    ...Though I'm still trying to figure out how a show that dives down into the subjects of genocide and racism ... landed next to Spongebob.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight_of_Ni View Post
    Sorry, but I thought of hobbits shooting each other at first...

Anyways, there is not much anyone could have done, at least legally. They didn't try to resolve their conflict and one guy choose to be an unreasonable dick and kill the other guy. Not much else to it, or at least thats they way it looks to me.
    True.

It's just so crazy, I'm pretty sure someone on these forums has a neighbor they don't quite get along with.

But to think one of your annual arguments could end with "shots fired!"

...my neighbor tends to start watching TV, loudly, at precisely 2AM almost every night (or that's just when I notice it)...I've tried asking them to turn it down: 1st time I had the door slammed in my face; 2nd time i was told it'd be no problem; 3rd time I was basically told to buzz off...

Do I need to bring the heater the next time it happens? Just in case...sheesh

Whos Willis?

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

One of my neigbors has made me want to come over and scream "Garbage Day!" before firing off a couple shotgun rounds.
    He lets his dogs run around the neighborhood off their leash, and I have a sneaking suspicion that they regularly take dumps on my front yard. I'm driving home one afternoon and his stupid poodle runs out into the road. He rushes out into the road too and starts shouting at me. I stop and ask, "what's the matter?" He starts cussing at me, telling me I'm driving too fast and that I almost killed his F'ing dog. Keep in mind I was driving the speed limit. That's when I told him to keep his mutt on a freaking leash.

Not that I'm saying this is justified, but sometimes your neighbor can bully you and really push your buttons.

Campidoctor

Heh, what's with that garbage day clip? Do I need to know the context of it to see why it's funny? Other than the horrible acting, the cheesy music and the fact the guy tried to block a bullet with a garbage can, I can't put together what makes it funny.

Senno's Avatar C'est la Vie.
    Civitate

Yes, not quite Political Academy material, gents.

Off to the TD with it.

Binshuy's Avatar Vicarius

this is so random lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    I think Lady Gaga is awesome.

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by CDMan477 View Post
    Heh, what's with that garbage day clip? Do I need to know the context of it to see why it's funny? Other than the horrible acting, the cheesy music and the fact the guy tried to block a bullet with a garbage can, I can't put together what makes it funny.
    It's from an awful 80s horror film called Silent Night Deadly Night 2. Later the killer puts on a santa suit and starts ax-murdering people. I think the reason it's funny is because it's supposedly one of the worst murder scenes in horror film history.

The meme has also taken off, so you have people re-enacting "St Patrick's Day" (guy is lifting a beer keg instead of a garbage can), "Talk Like a Pirate Day" (killer is a pirate) and "Judgement Day" (Jesus kills people taking out the trash with lightning bolts).