Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: [HISTORICAL ISSUE] - Historical films from balkan states

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Default Re: [HISTORICAL ISSUE] - Historical films from balkan states

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    About "Under the Yoke", it's already in my list on the first page, though here's a single YouTube link instead (I'll edit it there too). And while searching for it, it seems there's also a 1990 series about it, which I haven't watched - here's the first episode, I'll list the others in the first page. Unfortunately, both are only on Bulgarian.
    As for movies about Gotse Delchev or Yane Sandanski - the only one I can remember which is near it is "Mera spored mera" (listed on the first page as well). But I haven't watched it, so I'm not sure if it includes Delchev and Sandanski or not, I only remember it's about that general time and place (Macedonia around the Ilinden-Preobrazhenie Uprising, 1903).
    Otherwise, I can't seem to find any subtitles for "Kapitan Petko Voivoda" or "Geroite na Shipka", be they Bulgarian or already translated (there are some BG subs for "Geroite na Shipka", but they're only of the Russian speech).
    Mate , I got that black and white version of 'Under the Yoke' and it's great, but the tone is so low so I can't understand a thing. Can you please put English subtitles on that movie so it could be watched!
    As for 'Mera spored mera' I will watch it as well, it would be good if it include Delchev and Sandanski. The other two movies look great, especially one about the life of Kapitan Petko Voivoda, I wish there was a English translation there too because sometimes the volume is so low and they speak too fast so I can't comprehend what they are saying despite my best intentions! Bulgarian movie industry is great since there is so many war epic movies, it's just great, I had no idea. It's all thanks to Todor Zivkov I suppose, because it was done during his time.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

I don't make new subtitles, that's the problem. I can eventually translate Bulgarian ones to English, but I don't have any Bulgarian subs for those movies.
    Otherwise, yes, as much as I hate communism, I have to admit that there was a cultural boom in those times (especially in movie-making).

Edit: Btw, if you can watch it on Bulgarian, I highly recommend "The prince's 13th fiancee", a completely fictional medieval-rennaisance comedy. The football scene in particular is my favourite.
    Last edited by NikeBG; June 02, 2012 at 03:36 AM.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Here's the two parts of the Romanian movie Michael the Brave from 1970. Undoubtedly the best Romanian movie ever made. It was going to be an American-Romanian super production with actors such as Orson Wells, Kirk Douglas, Elizabeth Taylor in the role but the communist authorities decided it was better to use Romanian actors In the end it turned out quite well, but i can only imagine how much popular it would have been in the West if those great actors played in it. It is known as the Last Crusade internationally.

The quality is crystal clear and it is remastered in HD. Subtitles available in English and French.

Part 1

Part 2

Last edited by Wallachian; June 04, 2012 at 07:02 AM.

All I want is a god damn historical documentary&movie but all we have are stupid soap operas and comedy movies in here.

Even the old stuff is not that bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-1sXXVca0zw

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Don't expect any 100% historical movie, doesn't really exist, especially the ones made in communist times which were purposely made to emphasize nationalism. And compared to Western historical movies most Eastern European ones are quite accurate. For example the last movie i just posted is as close to reality as reasonably possible back in that time (historical costumes, weaponry from museums etc), in general lines the plot is quite accurate aswell (of course there is stuff like romance, intrigue etc for entertainment purposes).

I found download links for film The March to Drina River (1964) with english subtitles :

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|68...rar|209715|0|0
    https://rapidshare.com/#!download|40...rar|104694|0|0

And here is one scene from film to see if you like it :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiPHmw6yU6E

Acco's Avatar Дијана

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFFYqy6PPNw - Makedonska krvava svadba (Macedonian Blood Wedding), based on a play written by Vojdan Chernodrinski in 1900.

Before the Rain is also a great film but it's recent (1990s) so it isn't on Youtube. The soundtrack is by Anastasija, a really good Macedonian group (here's one song).
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Anastasija are great, I love them.

Are these historical movies, though? There's a historical concept around the main story, I guess?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112