Thread: How to Mod Folder Multi Startpos Files

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

Icon1 How to Mod Folder Multi Startpos Files

Credits
    This is a functional exercise of the tutorial created by Alpaca here: http://http://www.twcenter.net/forum...d.php?t=293150

I take NO CREDIT for the knowledge, files, or tools used in this tutorial most of which goes to husserlTW, Lt Chambers, Erassmus, and others that created the original tools and files.

The point of this exercise is to give a visual aid (using the attachments) to those wanting to use multi startpos files to replace the vanilla one.

Getting Started

You will need the two files at the bottom of this post:
    1. modfolder.pack
    2. scripting
    *plus a pre-modded startpos (or multi startpos files) of your own mod(s) (not included here)

You will need PFM and ESF Editor tools.

Objective
    For this tutorial, I want to make French-Egypt campaign units available to France in the COC campaign.

I already have one startpos in use making France a playable faction in the COC campaign. Now I want to add a startpos that makes French-Egypt campaign units available in France.

Here is how:
    1. Create a mod folder inside your NTW data/campaign folder.

2. Rename the mod folder to something you can identify. I named mine FR_EGY_mod

3. Next, open up the mod folder and place the "scripting" file (file attached to end of this post)

4. And put in the startpos of the mod that you want to use... in my case I am putting in the startpos that has the French-Egypt units assigned to the Provence Region in France. Now there will be two files in the FR_EGY_mod folder.

5. Now take the 2nd file modfolder.pack (attached to the bottom of this post) and put it into your NTW data folder.

6. Right click and copy/paste the modfolder.pack file and rename it so that you will have the original modfolder.pack file plus a renamed copy of itself. I named mine FR_EGY_mod.pack. I did this because I need one modfolder.pack file for unlocking France and a second modfolder.pack file for my Egypt units.

7. Select the FR_EGY_mod.pack file and use PFM to open it.

8. Open the custom_campaign.lua in Notepad...

9. DELETE anything that is already in the file and then replace it with the text: return "your mod folder name"

10. Close and save the lua file.

11. Close and Save the pack file.

12. Now make sure your pack type is set to "Movie" and that the pack file is in your NTW data folder.

REPEAT THE WHOLE PROCESS ABOVE for each mod folder you create with a startpos in it.

Updating the Startpos
    We will now update (each) startpos to force the game to read our new startpos in the campaign folder.

1. Open up ESF Editor and locate the startpos you put inside your mod folder:

2. In the startpos, navigate to... [...]\CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO. Where you see eur_napoleon replace it with the name of your startpos mod folder name.

3. Now navigate to... [..]\CAMPAIGN_ENV/CAMPAIGN_SETUP. Where you see eur_napoleon replace it with the name of your startpos mod folder name.

4. Save and close the startpos. Close ESF Editor.

Make sure to DELETE your script and preference file before trying out any new startpos. If you don't you might have done everything right here but the old script file will override your mod.

Start the game and check for your mod changes!

Here is the result of having 1 startpos that unlocked France in the COC campaign and 1 startpos that gave me French-Egpyt units in Provence region in France.

France-Egypt Units

The attached rar file has all the file needed to complete this tutorial plus an instruction guide with pictures.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Hazbones; May 04, 2010 at 12:38 PM.

♔Icebear77♔'s Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: How to Mod Folder Multi Startpos Files

Great tutorial also to one with the pictures! Very helpful! Thanks a lot Hazbones!! +REP

First of all I did not just help you but I've provided all the infos and the files for mod foldering. Second I haven't done that for you to make a tutorial but to help you in your mod. Mod foldering tutorial exists already. It is made by alpaca and it is here. I think this thread must be closed or everything should be deleted and just live a link to point to alpaca's thread.

I had no intention of taking any credit at all. Maybe I should have spelled out the credits a little better. Sorry, this was my first tutorial posting so did not know the formalities. I was just trying to help others. Alpaca's thread title did not make it clear what it's purpose was.

If you did not want me to pass along the knowledge that you gave me on my mod all you needed to say was not to post it openly and I wouldn't. From your post it sounds like you are criticising me or accusing me of trying to steal your work. That is seriously not the case. Again, I was just trying to share some knowledge with others the same way that you shared it with me.

If this thread does repeat another thread the Admins are free to delete this one.
    [EDIT] I have added credits (where they are due) to the start of this tut. Even reading Alpaca's thread I am more a picture person and so I still think this thread has merit. If husserlTW does not want me to use the modfolder.pack file or the scripting file then I will remove them upon his request.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I will just keep my mouth shut from now on.
    Last edited by Hazbones; May 04, 2010 at 12:41 PM.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Critising time and effort spent to help TWC members better understand the world of modding that will in turn enhance our own gaming experience.

What has this world come to.. I for one learn better with pictures and so yes this does have merit, and I personaly understand this topic better now than with Alpaca's tut alone.(No disrespect to his work).

+rep for a thread that helped me.

If I didn't want to spread my knowledge I wouldn't help you in first place. But I did it with much patient and with many PM's as I do for anybody else has asked for it. I was badly surprised seeing somebody who new nothing to ask for help and the very next moment to present a tutorial!!! At least you should have asked my opinion about your intention. In this way you had been informed about the existence of the tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch, Your humble servant View Post
    Critising time and effort spent to help TWC members better understand the world of modding that will in turn enhance our own gaming experience. What has this world come to..
    Very clever...
    Last edited by husserlTW; May 04, 2010 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    If I didn't want to spread my knowledge I wouldn't help you in first place. But I did it with much patient and with many PM's as I do for anybody else has asked for it. I was badly surprised seeing somebody who new nothing to ask for help and the very next moment to present a tutorial!!! At least you should have asked my opinion about your intention. In this way you had been informed about the existence of the tutorial.

Very clever...
    I am a fast learner and eager to help others so if I surprised you sorry about that.
    It's not that I didn't know anything (just because I don't post in the forums much). I know alot about startpos editing and creating mods, just didn't know the link that put the two together. You got me excited teaching me that link so that sparked the desire to share the knowledge.

You are correct (in hindsight) that if I would have told you my intent for a tut you could have told me about alpaca's thread. I will ask the "mod gods" from now on before I post a tut to make sure I am not repeating efforts. Again, I would have never guessed in 100 years that alpaca's thread talked about mod foldering startpos. I asked a few people in other forums if mod foldering a startpos was possible but they were not aware of alpaca's thread either so I'm glad I am not alone and this thread actually brings his work to light.

Good stuff. Thanks husserlTW for your help you give to the community.
    Last edited by Hazbones; May 04, 2010 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazbones View Post
    It's not that I didn't know anything (just because I don't post in the forums much).
    I meant about modfoldering. Anyway this issue is over from my side, lets keep on mod and roll...

Any idea how to change the peninsula campaign?

What do you want to change exactly?

as you can change the folder of the main campaign...
    =>if you can do the same with the Peninsula campaign, too - and how?

It is the same as every mod folder, there is nothing special for Peninsula. Check my NTF where I've placed it in campaigns/NTF/7.

looks interesting...and very good, but I don't even know how this would work for me the way I want it!
    => I want to tell the game that when I press "peninsula campaign" it will start it from my own folder!

You cannot do that. Modfoldering works only from Coalition Campaign button.

Your request is a little confusing thouhg... If you want to access your mod by pressing "peninsula campaign" then why you need modfoldering? Just place your modded startpos in spa_napoleon folder!

I want to make two campaigns, but I don't want to overwrite vanilla files!