Thread: ITW English translation

Default ITW English translation

People have been asking about the progress of Iberia Total War. I am able post some updated information on the English translation, and so thought that I would share it with the community.

I have completed most of the preliminary translations of the faction descriptions and am continuing to e-mail them to Monkwarrior as they are completed. Some of them will have to be revised a little before release, but that should not be too much of a problem.

I also have the historical battles to do, and will start work on them as soon as I have finished the last two faction descriptions. The penultimate one is already in the process of being translated! :original:

Since Monkwarrior has stated that I am the only one currently working on the translation, I am unclear as to what has happened about the unit descriptions. I assume that previously he has completed them himself.

If there is to be a working-but-not-polished Spanish version at the end of the month I will do my best to see that the English one is ready then also, or at least is not far behind. I have a week off starting on the 21st, and am willing to pull out all the stops to see that the English translation is ready.
    Last edited by AmbrosiusAurelianus; October 15, 2005 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

Glad to hear things are progressing nicely. Keep up the good work !

I can now give a brief further update. All eleven faction descriptions that I have have been translated and dispatched. Now for the historical battles!

Ambrosius, Could you post a description in english?... (For example, Celtiberians)

Greetings and thanks.

Dicho y hecho amigo! (That is no sooner said than done, friend, in English.) Hey Viriato how is the rest of the mod coming and where is Monkwarrior?

The Celtiberians

On the soil of Idoueba, the country where rivers are born, live proud and independent tribes that speak a common tongue and share a hard existence. Greeks and Romans call them Celtiberians, because they are tribes on the frontier of the Celtic and Iberian worlds. Nonethless, they have they their own high-sounding names for themselves: Belos, Titos, Lusones, Pelendones and Arevaci. Their principal cities are not many in number (Numantia, Seciaza, Termaintia, Uxama, Turiaza, the Contrebias, and Bilbilis), but they are proud and difficult to take, for they have high mud-brick walls, great ditches, and stones thrust into the ground like stakes in front their gateways.

The Celtiberians devote themselves to the breeding of livestock and, to a lesser extent, to agriculture and the mining of iron. The temper and suppleness of their blades is famous.

Among the men of the Celtiberians it is the custom to wear the hair braided and tie it in pigtails, like the Gauls. A cloak of dark wool, open on the left and held in place with a broach worn upon the right shoulder, is their national dress. The women of the farther reaches of Celtiberia prefer as love tokens, the severed hands of enemies. It its they who maintain the ancient traditions, singing to the children of the deeds of their forefathers.

The Celtiberians are cunning warriors and consummate horsemen, though they prefer to fight on foot. They know how fight in the close serried ranks of the phalanx, and their famous charge in a great wedge is feared by all who dare oppose these brave and tenacious tribes. The Celtiberian does not fear to die beneath the sword, for he knows that ravens and vultures will carry his soul aloft to lay it at the feet of the divine Lug, and that he will be remembered with honour amongst his folk. Any war fought against these people will be a war of fire, and their enemies will be consumed in its flames!

P.S. Could someone sticky this thread so we have a place to both report on and discuss the English translation for this mod?
    Last edited by <--Viriato-->; October 15, 2005 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbrosiusAurelianus
    Dicho y hecho amigo! (That is no sooner said than done, friend, in English.) Hey Viriato how is the rest of the mod coming and where is Monkwarrior?
    Hi, I'm here. But the case is that this week is the "Great Fiesta" in Zaragoza (October 12th) and I have no too much time for any other thing (mainly for me that I have small children). :laughing:

Quote Originally Posted by Monkwarrior
    Hi, I'm here. But the case is that this week is the "Great Fiesta" in Zaragoza (October 12th) and I have no too much time for any other thing (mainly for me that I have small children). :laughing:
    No problema. Have a good time in Zaragoza and give my regards to the family. I wish I could see the festival!

To keep this thread on topic I can give a brief update. Monkwarrior has reported that there are two faction descriptions that I was not aware of. This is because the Castilian versions of these fastions have not been completed (though they are in progress) and therefore, at the moment, no English translation is possible. The two remaining factions are the Transalpine Gauls and the Greek Colonies.

Three of the historical battle descriptions have been translated; Baecula, Ilorci, and Hibera; although I have not yet dispatched these. Three more remain; Castulo, Cesse and Vulcanalia.

I would be obliged if anyone could inform me of the whereabouts of Latin and Greek works translated into English on the internet that are freely available. I primarily require Livy Book XXV and Appian "Upon Iberia". This is for the purpose of using primary source material for parts of the historical battle descriptions: it would save some time!

The unit descriptions are in the pipeline. These appear to have been translated already, which will save me some work.
    Last edited by AmbrosiusAurelianus; October 16, 2005 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Anglicisation

Historical battle translations are now done. The original faction descriptions have been emended. An end of October release looks like it is going to happen!

Wow... I knew I could count with ITW. :original:

any more news guys? i'll even go for the spanish version if i can get it i really want this mod!!!

There are still some files to be translated and checked, but I am still waiting to be sent them. I was supposed to be doing a faction preview with Viriato, but I have not heard from him or Monkwarrior for about a week now. The best time for translation is in the coming week, because I have a week off work, so I am hoping to be sent something soon!

excellent! i have seen monkwarrior post at the .org but not here for a while... thats for the reply... this forum looked a little dead and i was wondering if you guys had split before the translation could come out... thank god you haven't

Quote Originally Posted by GiantMonkeyMan
    excellent! i have seen monkwarrior post at the .org but not here for a while... thats for the reply... this forum looked a little dead and i was wondering if you guys had split before the translation could come out... thank god you haven't
    No, GiantMonkeyMan, we are still all working away together! I want to play this mod myself when it is completed as much as anyone else lol.

With respect to the translation the Transapline Gauls and the Greek Colonies faction descriptions have just (about ten minutes ago) been translated and sent. That means that all the faction descriptions and historical battles are now complete. Unit descriptions still need to be checked though.

I have sent all the work that I have done so far to a friend to check them, and so any corrections that are still needed -and I hope there are none- should be done by the end of the week. That just leaves it up to Monkwarrior and Viriato to work on the technical side of things!

if you need help coding then i have got some spare time.... and also testing lol but if you need help send a pm or something... thanks for the reply

I have received the first "wave" of unit descriptions for translation from Monkwarrior. I have already started on the English translation and I shall have it done as soon as possible.

I thought I would keep you chaps informed, and reassure you that work on the mod is continuing. I'll post progress reports when I can.

Thank´s AmbrosiusAurelianus.

The first load of unit descriptions have been translated and sent. I estimate that 50% of them have been done overall.

Monkwarrior and I are discussing writing English light versions from scratch, so it may well be that no more translation is required. I'm just keeping you posted!

EDIT: The English translation of ITW for the RTW 1.2 release is now complete.
    Last edited by AmbrosiusAurelianus; December 18, 2005 at 09:08 AM. Reason: update