Thread: How would America be without African-American population?

Default How would America be without African-American population?

If from the beginning, black slaves from Africa weren't brought, how would the USA look in the present day? Would it be as successful? As large?
    [ Under Patronage of Jom ]
    [ "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21 ]

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: How would America be without African-American population?

there would be alot less crime, but also alot of the great inventions like Peanut butter would never had come about, and a world without peanut butter is a sad world

Not to mention significantly smaller population.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post
    Not to mention significantly smaller population.
    how many are there? like 80 million or something along those lines

Poach's Avatar Civitate

According to http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...ectID=15233308

Around the 40 million mark in '08. Unless I read it wrong, and in honesty I gave it a quick viewing.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

36,701,103 out of 304,000,000, is quite alot, holy crap there is 198,942,886 white people in the USA out of 3 million, didnt think there was that large a percentage of whites

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    36,701,103 out of 304,000,000, is quite alot, holy crap there is 198,942,886 white people in the USA out of 3 million, didnt think there was that large a percentage of whites
    Well I read in wiki that is you put your race as 'Muslim' you are automatically categorized as white. And im pretty sure there are some other things such as with Hispanics that have made the number seem bigger than it really is.

Ulf's Avatar Ordinarius

Without the black slaves to power it's agricultural economy, America wouldn't be much of a country at all. I would argue that without the cotton, sugar, tobacco, etc. that black slaves produced prior to the revolution, the American colonies would have never felt it capable to win independence from Britain militarily.

@Jaketh, George Washington Carver did not invent Peanut Butter. in 1884 a patent was issued to a Canadian for something like peanut butter and in 1897 J.H. Kellogg (of Kellogg cereals) was issued another patent for something he called "nut-butter".
    Thank you for reading this assuredly fantastic post.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
    Without the black slaves to power it's agricultural economy, America wouldn't be much of a country at all. I would argue that without the cotton, sugar, tobacco, etc. that black slaves produced prior to the revolution, the American colonies would have never felt it capable to win independence from Britain militarily.

@Jaketh, George Washington Carver did not invent Peanut Butter. in 1884 a patent was issued to a Canadian for something like peanut butter and in 1897 J.H. Kellogg (of Kellogg cereals) was issued another patent for something he called "nut-butter".
    all the lies ive been told over the years....

Georgy Zhukov's Avatar Primicerius

Indentured Servants.

If there was no alternative to Indentured Servants, then things like Bacon's Rebellion wouldn't have as much of an effect in deterring the colonists from hiring indentured Servants since they would be the only mass cheap labor force.

C-Rob's Avatar Primicerius

all the lies ive been told over the years....
    well, it's pretty much everything you can do with peanuts EXCEPT use it on bread.

Anyway, meh, I don't know. Jazz would take a massive hit and might not even exist.

Aside from Caucasian sniping and racial joking in society, without black slaves the British and US economies wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful.

I can't imagine what popular music would sound like without jazz and blues.

You clearly don't have a great understanding of economics if you think slavery can improve an economy in any way. The USA would have boomed faster without slaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hus View Post
    Aside from Caucasian sniping and racial joking in society, without black slaves the British and US economies wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful.
    They'd be more powerful. No more riots over industrialisation; there is work for everyone.

America's economy would be based even more on serfdom, rather than slavery. There would probably have been legislation discriminating against contracted labourers and those with little to no property, instead of race-based legislation.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

there would be alot less crime, but also alot of the great inventions like Peanut butter would never had come about, and a world without peanut butter is a sad world
    Don't be ridiculous. Black people do not commit crime more than white people. People who have been exploited as slave labour, then exploited as underpaid urban workers, then left for dead in ghettos as the factories closed and subjected all the time to vehement hatred and race prejudice, those are the people who commit crimes. Without the slaves, it is difficult to tell what America would be like. Look at other British colonies like Australia and New Zealand where there was not so much of a slave population, they seem to have done OK for themselves and with the massive resources that America offers, I doubt it would have been less significant. Except of course that the Civil War wouldn't have happened, which was pretty much what created the USA we know today.

Anyway, there would not be less crime, the industrial working classes of Scotland suffered a similar fate to the African-Americans in the 40s and 50s, and they provide a perfectly adequate amount of crime and poverty for our needs, despite the fact they are the purest bred natives in the country.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

NO RICK JAMES, BEEATCH!

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

double post

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. Black people do not commit crime more than white people.
    Yes they do. What sort of argument is that.

You've gone "they don't - but they are poor, and poor people do". That's the point. A higher percentage of poor people are black than other wealth classes. Nobody is being racist here.