Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XAI 4.0 Ask Questions here!!

diadok's Avatar Senator

Icon5 Re: XAI 4.0 Ask Questions here!!

Call of Warhammer
    (Integration Underway)
    Do you know if they will integrate XAI 4.0 in their next version ?

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Default Re: XAI 4.0 Ask Questions here!!

I believe it will happen soon. I haven't heard any word in a while. I have been pretty busy working on the road and working over time. Not really much time other than to check in here.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

diadok's Avatar Senator

i am happy to get the answer... which is "yes"

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

That's what I was waiting for. Only then will I answer the call of Warhammer.

They have already set up the armies so that they come with their own siege equipment, and thus attacks on multiple (or all) gates happen - but as the AI is naff they'll still sit around outside getting shot and or will feed one unit to be slaughtered at a time.
    Last edited by Glabro; October 11, 2010 at 04:05 PM.

In another campaign there wasn't CTD in 1208. That was maybe something that xeryx said about.
    Remember, Elvis will be with You... always.

God wills it!

diadok's Avatar Senator

somebody knows exactly which value(s) in which file(s) has effect on "morale_shock" (by flanking, many deaths in few times, frightening effects, etc) ???
    i notice these effects are much more important in COW than in other mods, and i would like to try to implement this on other mods i use.
    it makes battles much more realistic, you see many times a weak unit of 250 disband when flanked and loose only 50 mens. i thought it wasn't possible as i had never seen that in any mod, but i was wrong...

diadok's Avatar Senator

i had also a suggestion for something that makes better AI in battles: increase shooting distance of missiles units. (available in all mods).
    because in every battles, human player can wait AI advance, and starting shooting first : the time AI use to place correctly, human player has ever done many casualties to AI and when the firing exchange really start it looks like :
    AI =15% casualties
    human player = 5%
    can be worst, 20% vs 3% sometimes. it is not that bad with XAI (AI get "penalty" of 5 or 7%) but still exist with.

it doesn't happen anymore when you increase shooting distance (something like 250 or 300): battle start, missiles units of both side starting shooting immediatly, no advantage for human player. i usually decrease slowly the ammos to avoid breaking balancing missiles/cav/inf

is there a way to decrease the papal states aggression? I tried copying and pasting the old ai label from KGCM 4.2 but they have the tendency to excommunicate factions more
    Last edited by dknight237; November 06, 2010 at 10:43 PM.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by diadok View Post
    i had also a suggestion for something that makes better AI in battles: increase shooting distance of missiles units. (available in all mods).
    because in every battles, human player can wait AI advance, and starting shooting first : the time AI use to place correctly, human player has ever done many casualties to AI and when the firing exchange really start it looks like :
    AI =15% casualties
    human player = 5%
    can be worst, 20% vs 3% sometimes. it is not that bad with XAI (AI get "penalty" of 5 or 7%) but still exist with.

it doesn't happen anymore when you increase shooting distance (something like 250 or 300): battle start, missiles units of both side starting shooting immediatly, no advantage for human player. i usually decrease slowly the ammos to avoid breaking balancing missiles/cav/inf
    That's not how it works.

What you are looking for is accuracy, poor accuracy and poor missile damage, combined with slow-moving units is the only working way to reduce the '%' gap. When you increase the range to absurd level, the archers will simply stay behind main body of army, as they can fire already after being deployed.

Player usually will get one or two 'extra' volleys anyway. As the AI army will likely advance to player's position, and the player will just wait, the accuracy of these high-range projectiles will quickly become a sniper show, decimating their ranks on the way. In rarer cases, AI archers will move a fair bit towards the player position, before firing their arrows, taking even 5-6 extra volleys before releasing their own - and that'd be counter-productive. Better yet, I've seen that happen over and over in TATW.

On the other hand, when you nerf the damage and accuracy of the projectiles, with bigger range AI will likely pepper you in every situation, wasting it's arrows instead of using them, when they're effective (like: shooting down a hill, shooting from closer distance).

No matter how you try to 'fix' it, you've to sacrifice something in the end, and it's very rarely worth it. In this case, it's not worth it. The problem lies in the hardcode, we can't fix how the engagement interaction is handled. Worse: we can't even tell the AI what to shoot at, not just when.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Hola XAI modders!

I played magyar mod, which uses XAI 4.0.
    First and foremost, this AI is a great improvement, congrats for the great work!

But maybe you have an idea why this happened:

- I was peaceful to all nations (only attacked rebels: Zágráb, Dalmatia, Rhodes, Antioch and Galicia, and bought Vienna/Belgrade)
    - I was crusading, it was successful
    - I have chivalrious kings
    - I have numerous trade agreements and 3 allies from the beginning (Pope, Poland, Portugal)
    - I regualry give presents to allies (money, maps, an cities: Rhodes presented to Pope, Galicia to Poland and Antioch to Portugal)
    - I didn't use spies, I alway occupied, and always released prisoners
    - I still have maxed out reputation

My relation was 'good' with everybody (except Byzantium and Venice, who in magyar mod are hostile at game start) and was 'perfect' with allies.

Then around my crusade:
    - I became quite rich (about 30k)
    - heretics popped up in Croatia and Dalmatia (heresy: ~15%)
    - inquisitors (3-4) showed up

And suddenly, about 4-5 turns later I had bad relations with everybody.

Do you have an idea what happened?

My bet is that I lost papal favour because of heresy (can't do anything about it really) and that dragged me down. Are catholic nations tied to the pope's opinion? Or something else happened?

Thanks!

It looks like there may have been a couple of factors.

1) Papal Favor has a big influence. In XCAI we tied things more together to the religions. Obviously if you are catholic, you are much more tied to the Papal states. This is to increase the power of the church for the papal states.
    2) Your money may have had more to do with separation of power, it all depends on which files are used. XAI has much bigger bands of Power and Money, this does affect you Human to AI diplomacy.
    3) If you did some conquering and did not get your catholic conversions up above 90% then you are prone to inquisitors, and if the pope doesn't like you..you can expect to see them more.

There are many factors that can influence things that you may not even know about, which makes determining the exact causes hard to determine without following the logs.

However, everyone must fall from domination, and XCAI is designed to try and keep smaller nations banding together against the larger ones (same religions).

I wanted a strong religious influence with the AI, like CA originally intended. Because the whole point of the crusades was religion.

There are other rules in the CAI that can be messing with you too. I tried very hard to keep human players from being able to stay too popular for too long.

I am glad you are enjoying it though, hopefully your rise to power will happen again, enjoy them while they last. Just remember to rep the members of the team too.
    Last edited by xeryx; November 12, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by xeryx View Post
    It looks like there may have been a couple of factors.

1) Papal Favor has a big influence. In XCAI we tied things more together to the religions. Obviously if you are catholic, you are much more tied to the Papal states. This is to increase the power of the church for the papal states.
    3) If you did some conquering and did not get your catholic conversions up above 90% then you are prone to inquisitors, and if the pope doesn't like you..you can expect to see them more.
    There are many factors that can influence things that you may not even know about, which makes determining the exact causes hard to determine without following the logs.
    This sheds some light on things.
    In the mod I play, conversion rate is 'historical' so that fighting heretics is actually hard. (temples don't convert by themselves and priest conversion rate is decreased)

If the pope's poor opinion can drag other nation's opinion down, it could have happened. (of course if his inquisitors didn't kill my priests, conversion would be 'a bit' quicker)

There are other rules in the CAI that can be messing with you too. I tried very hard to keep human players from being able to stay too popular for too long.
    Why?
    In my case I understand that the following don't like me: all orthodox, all muslim, the pope (heresy), maybe Venice and HRE (they cannot expand east because of me).
    However, my best ally Poland, and Portugal, who would die at the hands of the moors without my help (tribute) went down also to 'bad'.

I am glad you are enjoying it though, hopefully your rise to power will happen again, enjoy them while they last. Just remember to rep the members of the team too.
    It seems to be a bit better now, the pope died and with the new guy in the pointy hat I have 7 crosses.

Once again, I might seem to be complaining, but this is a very big step forward from vanilla diplo AI, congrats!

How can you improve relations, where it is dropping steadily with every country? (the situation described in previous posts)

Even if you enter a marriage alliance (best case possible) with a faction that shares your religion (and in general doesn't have to obliterate you to meet it's own victory goals ...), good relations tend to deteriorate to neutral standing over time, if you just sit idly by and do nothing. If you want good relationships with somebody, then he better be worth it ... in case of alliance, it's best to ally faction which is adjacent to your territory and shares common interests and enemies - that way it's easier to fight their enemies to improve your standing. Similarly, a bribe here or two will keep relations at 'good' and up, if you decide to transfer part of your treasury on diplomatic matters.

Don't try to be a friend of everybody because that won't work. Other factions will get upset at you for many reasons - you attacking their allies, taking settlements which are their victory conditions, ignoring the Pope, allying/trading with infidels, being all-together too powerful (thus a threat), building churches (in case of opposite religion) ... look at it this way - other factions 'think' like it's their game, and they want to win - if you stand in their way for any reason, they won't have many reasons to like you. Expect naval invasions, port blockades and cowardly attacks.

Setting campaign difficulty lower usually helps to tone down the aggressiveness level. I suggest H for realistic and M for neutral relations. On VH you will be hated per principle, except most loyal allies. Also note that your campaign experience will vary depending on the mod in question - some things might be intended, some not, but there is no way for us to know all the details.
    Last edited by Achilla; November 17, 2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: typo
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    I suggest H for realistic and M for neutral relations. On VH you will be hated per principle, except most loyal allies. Also note that your campaign experience will vary depending on the mod in question - some things might be intended, some not, but there is no way for us to know all the details.

thanks for the tips!
    Very useful, especially the part about being the strongest nation (I think this is the problem in my case. Not by much, but I think at the moment my faction is the strongest).

It does seem historical when I think about it. Like Spain during Carlos I/Karl V fought France, northern Italy, the ottos and because of the divorce, nearly England.

I've been trying to integrate XAI in to the crusades expansion and I had a question about making sure my cache was properly cleared. I delete the map.rwm file before running a new campaign but if I am reading my log right it looks like its still using the original kingdoms files

This is what I get in my log when I run through the batch file

HTML Code:
    13:41:44.015 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    13:41:44.015 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [trace] exists: 1: caching directory: packs
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [trace] exists: 1: caching file: packs/data_0.pack (1160132206)
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [trace] exists: 2: caching file: packs/data_1.pack (1160132346)
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [trace] exists: 3: caching file: packs/data_2.pack (1160132532)
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [trace] exists: 4: caching file: packs/data_3.pack (1160132740)
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [trace] exists: 5: caching file: packs/data_4.pack (1160132828)
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [trace] exists: 6: caching file: packs/localized.pack (1160140328)
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    13:41:44.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/localized.pack
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/data_4.pack
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/data_3.pack
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/data_2.pack
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/data_1.pack
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [info] mounting: packs/data_0.pack
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [trace] exists: 2: caching directory: mods/crusades/packs
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [trace] exists: 7: caching file: mods/crusades/packs/data.pack (1186243498)
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [trace] exists: 8: caching file: mods/crusades/packs/localized.pack (1186254130)
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [always] mounted pack mods/crusades/packs/data.pack
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [always] mounted pack mods/crusades/packs/localized.pack
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [info] mounting: mods/crusades/packs/localized.pack
    13:41:44.031 [system.io] [info] mounting: mods/crusades/packs/data.pack
    here is what I have in my batch

HTML Code:
    cd ..\..
    start kingdoms.exe @mods\crusades\crusades.cfg --io.file_first
    and in my config
    HTML Code:
    [io]
    file_first = true
    disable_file_cache = true 

[log]
    to=logs/crusades.system.log.txt
    level = * trace

[features]
    mod = mods/crusades
    editor = true

[misc]
    show_hud_date    = true
    ;bypass_sprite_script = 1

[game]
    unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 1
    event_cutscenes = 1
    both are set as read only
    Last edited by dknight237; November 21, 2010 at 04:14 PM.

Stupid Question, but did you unpack the crusade files? what I am seeing is that you have pack files in the crusades directory.

Stupid Question, but did you unpack the crusade files? what I am seeing is that you have pack files in the crusades directory.
    I wondered the same thing ... I'm unsure also what causes problems in case of unpacking files exactly.

Though, if my guess is right, even if you don't unpack the campaign and just put the io command to the shortcut, the cache shouldn't be an issue for pack-foldered campaign, since it will (or at least should) always load the basic cache files from within the pack. In mod-foldered external mods cache procedure is necessary and deleting map.rwm has significance, but in case of core campaigns I've doubts about this ...

Perhaps he will be good enough without external config file and cache clearing. Easiest way to check this out is to implant the BAI and play the campaign/custom battles long enough, till there is an oddity we haven't witnessed in our 4.0 testing. Then it's only a matter of plugging files thyself, loading army composition and trying to replicate the bug ... at the very least we'll have a definitive answer whether core kingdoms campaigns are affected by cache problem or not.

yes, i did

i went into tools and clicked on the bat files for unpack_all, unpack_crusades, etc,

unpacking went smoothly

and i did delete the 2 descr_geog files in the mtw2/data folder after unpacking

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post

In mod-foldered external mods cache procedure is necessary and deleting map.rwm has significance, but in case of core campaigns I've doubts about this ...
    I think Achilla nailed the problem on the head. there is something additional you have to do for the core campaigns that you wouldn't need to do for an external mod like KGCM or third age. What that is, I am trying to figure out
    Last edited by dknight237; November 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM.

Hey guys I have a question regarding your BAI. How can I change the way troops enter and leave walls? As it stands now when I order troops to leave or enter walls they do so in very small numbers, meaning they go in like groups of 5 instead of everyone doing it at the same time.
    Intel 4690k GTX 760 8GB Asrock Fatality Z97

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast