Thread: EB - Principate mod

Default EB - Principate mod

Hi,

I have a suggestion about making a mod for EB, but there don't seem to be enough people interested as of yet... So i'll ask on this forum as well...

The idea is basically to have the Roman empire in 27-25 BC, once it became an empire, and simulate rome's fighting against the Parthians, and the deadly barbarian tribes...

Here's what i've came up with:

Start date 27 BC - 16. January, Octavian get's the title Imperator Caesar divi filius Augustus

Why? Rome finaly got a picture of itself, and all the civil wars ended. There would not be a civil war for 200 years ( of course except the year of 4 emperors), so the picture is pretty clear cut.
    At this point Rome was near it's maximum expanison. It had 28 standing legions, and a decent economy, however Rome didn't have the strenght to conquer Germania. If anyone thinks Rome was too powerful at this time, think again. When Teutoburg forest happened, Rome didn't have the strength to raise new legions, and instead retreated to the Rhine.

It would give the player a similar chalenge that in EB the Arche Seleucia; but on an even larger front, with armies ranging from the tribesmen of the northen forests, especially the powerfull germanics alliances, the nomads of the north - east, the mighty Parthians in the East, with a Jewish state still alive and kicking. Also, the Nabatean Kingdom would come to life, and perhaps the Ethiopian armies of Meroe preparing to invade Egypt, while Mauretiania would wait in west africa to start a new African Empire. Also, there is still life in the last Iberian tribes, who held more then 150 years the Romans at bay, and are willing to do so for as long as it takes. The Dacians have shown as well they can be a mighty foe under a strong king, like Burebista a has shown a while ago.
    A year ago the Romans started an expedition to Arabia Felix, but got defeated by the Saba with ease, who would remain in control of that side of the Red See. Surely Rome would try to conquer it again.
    The Romans may also fantisize to attack the mystical Island of Britain, to which Gaius Julius Caesar went 25 years ago.

Starting possition for Rome and other factions on the EB map;
    THE MAP
    Remember, this is WIP, i will add new factions when i can...
    Note - Dark red - dunno if it's already under Rome control or not, will research it, for others, it's just a representation where the factions would start:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

There are 20 factions IIRC for being in. This are the faction's i would say would definetly be in such a mod, and i've kinda added them where they should be on the map. This factions are :

Roman Empire Difficulty: Medium
    Augustus has just gotten the his title; the empire is ready for new challenges, but one wrong step, and the turmoils may begin again, the though of a republic is still very much alive with the senators, so you must make wise decision with your goverment and foreign policy. Be careful about how you treat the provinces. The massive expansion of the late empire has brought many new lands to Roma, but most of them are not happy with the situation.
    The Romans would have a very versatile army, drawing auxilias from many provinces, perhaps a bit weak on cavalry, but the best regular infantry in the game.

Parthian Empire Difficulty: Medium
    After a lot of civil strife, the Parthians again stabilized their situation somewhat. Phraates IV will definetly try to expand the borders of his country, and try to imitate his great predecessors. It will be key to try and centralize your power, and once Parthia is strong inside, the outside can only fear them and watch their horsemen taking over land after land.
    The Parthians would have the best cavalry in the game, all the units which took a long time in EB I to unlock, would be there from the start. May your cataphracts bring death to the Romans and all other lesser people!

Kingdom of Armenia Difficulty: Very Hard
    Perhaps not as strong as 40 years ago, Armenia still remains an independent power between the two superstates. This is in fact in interest of both, since a border so long would inevitably lead to full-scale war. The kings of Armenia are influenced by foreign powers, like they used to be in the old days, but even then Tigranes II became King of Kings, and many people bowed to him. Why shouldn't this happen again? There are many small kingdoms around Armenia, which also dwell betwenn Rome and Parthia, and conquering them should be difficult for a great king. But carefull diplomacy is needed, ally with one power and attack the other; fight both on your own peril.
    The Armenians would have a wide range of units, most simmilar as in EB, able to fight on every ocasion, however much depends on the general leading his men

Dacians Difficulty: Hard
    Not long ago, the Dacians and the Getae made their first alliance, and were a major power under the king Burebista. Many tribes fell under his power, including the once powerfull Boii. They have proven, like Decebalus will 100 years from now, that a strong king under this great warriors, can accomplish much, and conquer many lands.
    The units will be most the same as in EB, a great mix of ambushers, falxmen and elite warriors!

Marcomanni Difficutly: Hard
    An obscure germanic tribe, that would be a major power for the next 300 years; the Romans were always careful with dealing with this people, the king Marobodus being greatly feared by Augustus. Marobodus had created a great confederation of tribes under the control of the Marcomanii, which extended from modern day Chezch republic to the Baltic see! When the Romans finally waged full-scaled war with them, it almost costed them dearly. Marcus Aurelius defeated them after a full-scaled war, and yet the Marcomani persisted.
    The Marcomani were not unlike other germanic tribes, relying mostly on infantry, but they had a strong cavalry arm as well. The fact that they fared so well against Rome, shows us that a strong king could perhaps even bring the Empire to it's knees!

Cantabri and Astures Difficulty: Nigh impossible
    One of the last Iberian tribes, now joined together to fight of Rome. Only one thing need to be said for you to know of their power. It took Rome 8! legions, + auxiliaries to defeat them, the number of men surpassing 80.000! That's more then it took to bring down Macedonia and the Seleucid Empire combined! The war was so important, that it was lead on the Roman side by Agrippa and Augustus himself! The Romans feared the Cantabri, knowing they preformed well with Hannibal, and knowing they had the strenght to break the siege of Numantia 100 years ago. They prefered to fight a guerilla war, like most Iberians tribes, and the knowledge of their homelands gave they great advantage. They could also raise large armies if needed, based on the population estimate perhaps even 100.000 men! They were old proud tribes and a success against Rome on their part, could raise the defeated people of Iberia once more in a rebellion, and crush the Roman hold on the peninsula.
    Their army would differ much from that of the Lusotana in EB, + they would have awesome regionals at their disposal, like the Asturian axemen, and Cantabrian cavalry.

Kingdom of Thrace
    Judean Kingdom - under Herod the Great
    Sarmatians
    Kingdom of Nabatea
    Kingdom of Saba
    Cappadocia
    Skordisci
    Cherusci
    Indo-Saka
    Yuezhi

Important figures/Faction Leaders :
    Rome:
    Augustus Caesar - no introduction needed, 35 years old
    Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa - Octavians most trusted friend, great general of Rome, 36 at the time
    Tiberius - future emperor, one of the greatest imperial generals, would be 15 at the time
    Nero Claudius Drusus Germanicus - brother of Tiberius, another great general, 11 years old at the time
    Publius Quinctilius Varus - only one reason for his inclusion

Parthia:
    Phraates IV - King of Parthia
    Phraates V - Prince of Parthia

Marcomanni:
    Maroboduus - a child at the time, but the succesor to the throne. It is said that he could field an army over 70.000 men during the reing of Augustus, for which he was feared.

Kingdom of Judea:
    Herod the Great - King of Judea - around 35 years old, friend of Rome
    rest to follow...

Cappadocia:
    Archelaus IV - King of Cappadocia ruled for more then 50 years, appointed by Antony, but stood with Octavian in the later part of the civil war

Mauretania:
    Juba II - became king in 25 BC, Son of Juba I, who supported Pompey as the King of Numidia against Ceasar. Decisivly defaeted at Thapsus. He and the Romans lead many campaings against the tribes in Afrcia, forging a very powerfull state, closely allied to Rome.
    Other possible factions:

Kingdom of Kartli? Not much of a power, but independant and with great potential. The king Pharasmanes II was a cause for concern for Rome, even at the height of it's power. Even before that the Kings were pretty strong, managing even at capturing Artaxarta in in the year 35 AD

Germanic tribes - , Suebi, ,Quadi... (don't remember more of them atm)

Britanic tribes -, Icenii.... (don't remember more atm)

Iberians - , Astures

on the balkans - Jaziges, Delmats,

Africa - Meroe?

Asia - Osroene, Adabiene...

Others- Rhaetians, Pannonians, Kingdom of Noricum

For some factions - Roman Empire, Parthia, Armenia, Dacia, Sarmatia, Catuvellani, Astures and Cantabri, Mauretania, Capadoccia, Thrace, Indo-Saka... We could use many units if not all from EB; the other faction also have their most important units made in EB, so it would be just a case of filling out their roster

What am i (we) looking for?

People who would be willing to make such a mod...
    I think this time-frame is the least explored in all TW mods, but this era is extremly interesting.

There are already some people who voluntered to help on the mod, but definetly not enough... So if there's anyone who would land a hand with moding, scripting, reaserch, or all of them, i would love if you would join me...

If you have any question go ahead and ask, but keep in ming this is all WIP, and much can be changed
    Last edited by Anubis88; April 30, 2010 at 06:24 AM.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: EB - Principate mod

Well that is a fantastic amount of work almost as much as making Eb ..I must say I have always wanted a Principate mod.... So wish you luck, I cannot offer my services because I cannot mod perhaps a historical assistance from time to time, but I am busy with other research, life, and a degree in classical studies.

Signature made by Joar

Indeed it is doubtfull that anything will happen but who knows. There shouldn't be as much work as EB of course, since many factions - (Parthia, Sarmatia, Dacia, Saba, Casse, Indo-Saka, Armenia) would remain the same, while others could use many regional units...

It would require more than a one man job though...

IMHO people don't know how exiting this time-frame was in it's own right. Not even I knew that a few months ago

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

I really cannot understand why their isn't a Principate mod, so I hope you get a team together

Signature made by Joar

Vioras's Avatar Civis

Looks good
    Maybe add a faction in the south of Egypt??

Quote Originally Posted by Vioras View Post
    Looks good
    Maybe add a faction in the south of Egypt??
    That's very likely

If someone can teach me basic modding (More tips than anything else, as there are tutorials), I'd love to help.

I just reinstalled Rome, and I want to move over to the modding side of these boards.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

hannibalcaesar's Avatar Mostly Retired Modder

Quote Originally Posted by constantius View Post
    I really cannot understand why their isn't a Principate mod, so I hope you get a team together
    Not to advertise, but actually there is one; mine, in my sig. As i developed a 26 BC campaign. But one based on EB would be very good. I plan a making an Augustus sub mod for EB2 when it is released.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

interesting project!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    about Geto-Dacians, Greeks called them Getae and Romans Dacians! Burebista united many Geto-Dacian tribes not the Getae and the Dacians. Burebista also conquered many territories inhabited by Celts, Germans, Sarmatians, Greeks, Moesians and Thracians!

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

So when you plan to start?

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    So when you plan to start?
    When/if enough people will be interested... There are a few guys who volountered to assist, but none of them can do it right now... So i guess it's still pre-production... Hopefully someone will be interested in landing a hand or two.

The problem is, that while people are interested in this, few have the time to help. I'm assisting Augustus Total War, so I will be doing my reserch regulary, which could potentialy be implemented on both mods, so that's that...

So if anyone has time, please do tell
    Last edited by Anubis88; May 26, 2010 at 02:45 PM.

I am sorry that this project has not been started and completed, just a mod called Augustus Total War that is about this rich period of our history. Although I am years behind, I hope one day to participate in a mod or submod for EB, centered on the Principality era. If you are an RTW and EB modder and want to make that dream come true, you are not alone!
    Fall of the Republic & Rise of the Empire: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...FRRE-mod-links