Thread: Has anybody wondered why the british rifleman officers carry large straight swords?

Default Has anybody wondered why the british rifleman officers carry large straight swords?

Sharpe perhaps?

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Nex Sui's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Has anybody wondered why the british rifleman officers carry large straight swords?

Well looks a lot like some of these replicas http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords2.htm
    If you looked them over you could probably find the exact one.

Default Re: Has anybody wondered why the british rifleman officers carry large straight swords?

Well spotted Sir - could the same also be said for his breeches? They look like Sharpe's plundered cavalry overalls to me...

yes, well spotted to you Sarr! They do look like cavalry breeches!

NEx Sui - FYI an light infantry officer would not normally carry a massive meat cleaver like that heavy cavalry sword as far as I was aware.
    But in the Sharpes novels, Sharpe in particular ends up with some select gear that suites his demeanor

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Because Sharpe carried a 1795 heavy cavalry broadsword instead of the girlie little sabre that actual officers of the 95th Rifles were supposed to have.

When he finally broke it in a duel he was given an even better broadsword of the same general type.

Ditto for the non-regulation cavalry breeches.

Presumably they had a big argument over whether he should be dark as per the books or blonde as per the TV films - dark obviously won.

Would have been nice to have had Sergeant Harper and his damn big multi-barrelled gun as well...

Yep thats sharpe alright, broadsword n all!

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Moved to the Historical Research forum.

PM me with any questions.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Depending on regiment he should also have a pelisse for correct uniform, although officers of the 60th did wear cav breeches...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

wasnt Sharps Overalls green tho from a chassuer. He wore a 95th Jacket over the top. Anyway he would be carrying a rifle too dont forget.
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

Quote Originally Posted by ♔ST0MPA♔ View Post
    wasnt Sharps Overalls green tho from a chassuer. He wore a 95th Jacket over the top. Anyway he would be carrying a rifle too dont forget.
    Yes, all true unfortunately. His cav. boots are missing too. Oh well, looks like CA just messed up the sword then. Still, I'm not going to stop pretending...