Thread: How to use phalanx units

Default How to use phalanx units

Hi, recently I was trying to use Seleucid empire.. I can't seem to play a faction without some kind of back bone main infantry forces. Maybe it's some kind of phobia or something. So, Seleucid seems to have pikemen as their main type of forces.... But too bad I don't like the fact that the pikemen cannot run unless you remove the formation.. but if you charge with the formation off, they would use some daggers to fight the enemy. Also the fact that they are not flexible and are flanked easily, with low maneuverability. So I figured, what if I try to master them?

So I came to you. TWC.
    Last edited by Kevo2202; April 27, 2010 at 10:56 PM.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Default Re: How to use phalanx units

I'll give you some tips if you like. Is this for singleplayer? Do you want tips on campaign play with phalanx units for the Seleucids too?

Yes this is single player. And campaign too yes please, I would very much appreciate it.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

As you've rightly pointed out, a phalanx is susceptible to flanking. You obviously don't want this to happen. There are a couple of things you can do to prevent this from happening.

1. Place different units on the flanks. As TSE you can have access to Silver Shield Legionaires later, which can guard your flank against the enemy attacks.
    2. Use a terrain obstacle to secure a flank. If there is a rock outcropping for instance, line your units up with one flank against it. This should give you less to worry about.
    3. Use your own cavalry to attack the enemy's. With the enemy cav eliminated, you shouldn't be in too much danger of being flanked because infantry aren't generally fast enough to get around a phalanx if you can see them coming and turn in preparation.
    4. Change your battle formation. One setup that is useful is having a line of phalanx infantry with some more slightly further back, like a V shape. The idea is that when they flank the main line, you can attack them with your phalanx, hitting them in their side in turn.

As for some general phalanx tips: I usually don't have them in formation unless they're going to fight. It takes a couple of seconds for them to get ready, but once you've worked out how to time it it's easier. Try to keep your phalanx five rows deep for the most spears facing forwards for Seleucia. I've got a couple more tips here if you scroll down a bit for phalanx advice. The phalanxes of TSE, with the exception of the Militia Hoplite, have only got a small shield, so try to keep them away from missiles. Try doing hammer and anvil strikes if you don't do them already. Use the phalanx to engage the enemy infantry line, then put you cavalry behind them and charge into their backs (just be sure that the enemy line is fairly thick if you've got strong cavalry, you don't want to charge through them and end up impaling your cav on your own spears!).

I'll try to sum up the campaign for you:
    At the start, TSE is in a bit of trouble. Your enemies are strong around you and will attack you regularly at different locations. You can win most of them by recruiting phalanxes and sitting in your settlements, but that's no way to win the game. It's up to you which area(s) you want to focus on first, but Pontus is a fairly easy target. Just bring plenty of archers. You can get these easily if you take your governor from Sardis and head towards Halicarnasus. Cross the bridge so you're in their territory, recruit the Cretans and Rhodians and head home. Voila! Good missile units! If you want to keep your empire together, make sure you prepare Hatra early! It will come under attack within the first couple of turns in my experience, so a barracks is always handy.

I'll go through your surrounding enemies and some good ways to deal with them.

Pontus: Expect missile cav, Scythed Chariots, Chariot archers and some rubbish infantry. If you've got lots of phalanx units and archers they shouldn't be too hard. Ensure you use flaming arrows on the Scythed Chariots. Eastern Generals are also fairly tough, so don't underestimate them. Your cav is inferior in all ways to Pontus at the beginning, so don't try to combat them with cavalry if you can't help it. Or do, but only if you've got lots and lots of them.

Armenia: A swarm of Horse Archers and Eastern Infantry. HAs are difficult to fight. Bring plenty of archers of your own. Try to fight them in cities. If a stack is toobig for you to take, run back to a city and let them die trying to take it.

Parthia: Same, except they start with one or two units of Cataphracts at the beginning of the game! Bring some Scythed Chariots

Egypt: Probably the most difficult. They have an annoying tendency to spam armies at you constantly. Their generals are on chariots which is irritating. Take archers... I'm noticing a pattern in my advice here

Greece: These guys should be easy. They're on par with you in the early days, but once you get Cataphracts you should have them covered. Against their settlements near you, take archers and try to lure their phalanxes into a trap in the street fighting. Keep shooting them and they'll come to get you. Them have them walk into an intersection where they get sandwiched by two or three of your phalanxes.

As far as your unit roster is concerned, try to get one settlement to a large city at 12,000 pop. because you can then recruit Cataphracts. These guys will solve all your problems. The Legionaires might only become available after you've got control of much of the east, but are useful enough against the Romans.

I did not find anything difficuit with Egypt. I did not have to face spam from them ever, but i heard of it, so rushing them was the 1st thing i did. They have a tendency to try and freak you out by keeping their chariot bodyguard nearby your hoplites yet in skirmish mode. When you somehow manage to zap a chariot with them, expect the whole stack to happily stick onto your phalanx spears.

It is always good idea to create a huge raiding party in the early game. Pontus, Armenia, Parthia aren't very strong so you should be able to hold the line there quite easily. While egypt can get really anoying.

Few things you want to do at the start.

* Get trade rights and alliance with pontus. They should agre to ally with you. By this they take care of armenia for some time. But never forget, smart man in the times of peace gets ready for war. Do the same.
    * Bring armies to damascus and then you see opportunity take over Sidon.
    * Take over Salamis. It won't be heavily gaurder, but it will grant you huge economical bonuses on trading. Also taking some trading power from egyptians in the same time.
    * After you have secured front with egyptians and took over Salamis gather a strong force to raid their 3 main cities. Which is Alexandia, Mephis and Thebes. Perhaps you won't be able to take all of them, but Alexandia ir easy picking. At this time you should already have Elephants and Alexandia should be still protected by wooden wall. Blitz assualt will give you victory. This will damage egyptians significantly, and also you'll get well developed city from which you can organize utilization of entire annoying yellow faction.

After taking out egypt deal with pontus. Their missile cavalry isn't that strong. And they do not tend to spam chariot archers like egyptians likes. Having these points covered rest of the asia minor factions shouldn't be a big problem. If you have trouble with their battle tactics, spam them to death. You have all resources you need.

After this, get ready to fight romans. It's a good idea on greece first ant make there a strong outpost before roman - TSE war breaks off.

About phalanx usage - don't move them in formation. If you want them to assualt with their swords, do not forget to switch off guard mode. Always remember, catapharcts are the real killers of TSE armies (maybe some people can do this with legionniers but i tend to trust in cav) phalanxes only hold the line. having cats on flanks you hit two birds with the same stone. You secure the flanks from any enemy attacks and also you use them as flankers yourself. But having some support inf is always a good idea too.

Archers.. then facing romans archers becomes pretty useless since roman armies are well armoured and their archers has longer range.

One unit of armoured elephants in the army is always handy too.

Thanks men, that was really helpful. I am going to try out TSE now.