Thread: Sweden

Laetus

Icon4 Sweden

I dont understand this terrible crime against the whole history of humankind. By the Peace of Westphalia in 1648 Sweden received Swedish Pomerania. So why Preussia has this region, and what is the point having small swedish army located in Meckleburg. The makers of Napoleon should concentrate more to these very important historical issus.

Second thing is that Sweden should be a major nation. Sweden was i the only nation that didnt join the britain embark.

The third thing is that Sweden should have a navy in baltic sea. In 1788- 1790 Sweden had war agains Russians. In this war Sweden won the biggest naval of battle of Baltic sea(Battle of svenskund). It was crushing defeat to russians baltic navy. Why Sweden navy minister has only four stars even though he was in charge of navy during this war.
    Last edited by Jarag; April 27, 2010 at 03:16 PM.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Re: Sweden

The Swedes sent assistance to some of the German states and Austria that wanted to hold out against Napoleon, like I think there were some Swedes at Austerlitz, Lepzig and Dresden.

About the Pomerania thing, I think most of Pomerania was Prussian.

The navy? CA just overlooked it.

Laetus

Most of pommeranians are Prussia. But the Sweden still owned the city of pommerania

Swedish Pomerania was a small part of the medieval duchy of Pomerania and consisted of not much more than the town of Stralsund and the island of Rugen.

When the Prussians acquired it in 1815 they called it New Upper Pomerania which gives you an idea of how insignificant it was.

In the Seven Years War the Swedish army in Pomerania was so weak that it was neutralised by some troops of Hussars and local militia - and Frederick the Great needed to be reminded at several points that he was still at war with Sweden.

And a sea battle in the Baltic is more like a squabble in a boating lake than a Trafalgar.
    Last edited by Clodius; April 27, 2010 at 06:35 PM.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Clodius View Post
    Swedish Pomerania was a small part of the medieval duchy of Pomerania and consisted of not much more than the town of Stralsund and the island of Rugen.

When the Prussians acquired it in 1815 they called it New Upper Pomerania which gives you an idea of how insignificant it was.

In the Seven Years War the Swedish army in Pomerania was so weak that it was neutralised by some troops of Hussars and local militia - and Frederick the Great needed to be reminded at several points that he was still at war with Sweden.

And a sea battle in the Baltic is more like a squabble in a boating lake than a Trafalgar.
    A sea battle's a sea battle, regardless the location.

Laetus

It doesnt matter that Sweden was weak there. Only it matters that Sweden owned it.

TheBlobThing's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Jarag View Post
    I dont understand this terrible crime against the whole history of humankind.
    Here mate, I think you dropped your sense of perspective on the way in.
    Disclaimer:
    The above are my current opinions and are liable to change according to mood, time of day, degree of sleep deprivation endured and/or level of inebriation.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlobThing View Post
    Here mate, I think you dropped your sense of perspective on the way in.
    I just wanted to make my point clear

I am actually a big fan of all things Swedish and would love a Great Northern War/Spanish Succession era mod for NTW (which come to think of it might just be feasible without modding the campaign map?) just so I could play Charles XII.

(I know Empire should have that covered but I refuse to buy it - and in any case NTW's map and timescales would work far better for the campaigns of Marlborough and Charles XII).

However Sweden was just not a great or even medium power in the nineteenth century - Charles XII's wars had so depopulated and impoverished the country that it no longer had the capacity to wage war effectively at the scale NTW depicts.

Even Bernadotte who had ambitions far bigger than his adopted country recognised this and kept the Swedish army carefully out of any serious action in 1813-14 - thus ironically scuppering what chances he had of being foisted on the French as Napoleon's successor as the Prussians quickly got tired of having to do all his fighting for him.

If you are interested read Michael Roberts on Sweden's imperial age - I believe he's the best authority in both English and Swedish.
    Last edited by Clodius; April 28, 2010 at 10:36 AM.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    The Swedes sent assistance to some of the German states and Austria that wanted to hold out against Napoleon, like I think there were some Swedes at Austerlitz, Lepzig and Dresden.
    Sorry - but definitely no Swedish units at either Austerlitz or Dresden.

The Swedes were lateish arrivals at Leipzig (casualties very low 46 dead & 132 wounded - see Nafziger's Napoleon at Leipzig) as Bernadotte didn't want to expose them, some elements (Morner Hussar Regiment & a horse battery) fought at Dennewitz - again casualties light.

Sweden's involvement against Napoleon was very much confined to 1813 & 1814 - the latter year the Swedes were not in the main theatre i.e. France as Bernadotte was looking after his own interests trying to get Denmark to ceded Norway.
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; April 29, 2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling!

Prince of Essling sums it up very good, however you also have the Russo-Swedish war of 1788-90 (with a small danish-norwegian intervention), and the slightly more epic campaign in Finland and Sweden of 1808-09, where the Russians at one time was threatening Stockholm itself, while marshal Bernadotte (then still in French service) was scheduled to invade Scania with his Spanish "hostage" troops.

Quite a crazy history.

(The story about the Swedish armys coup d'etat and general political ambition in the timeframe is also very interesting, considering that the scandinavian countries today are seen as some of the most peaceful, stable and wellfunctioning democracies of the world)

IMHO, (of course, with no national bias what so ever) I'd say that the northern napoleonic wars (Norway-Denmark-Sweden-Finland-Russia-Northern Germany, with British and French presence abstractly represented) would make an extremely fun and interesting mod, especially since the battles and army sizes could be recreated 1-1 in NTW.

And although these countries might not be anyones favourites, for understandable reasons, I think many players would like a mod where the troop numbers are fully historic and limited (you lost those three companies of the Svea Lifeguards battalion? Tough luck, it'll take a year to re-reraise them, if ever).

Emperor Dainton's Avatar Libertus

I think they should put all the territories as they were (Even if it means spliting some) It would be even more accurate and challenging !

Prince of Darkness's Avatar Campidoctor

Actually CA didn't add starting navies for many nations that should have, including Russia, which had a way larger fleet that the Swedes but still have none.
    And Sweden's hold in Pomerania was so small that CA is forced to neglect it, just like Prussia's scattered territories in Ansbach, Neuchatel, Minden, and East Frisia.