Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ETW vs. NTW

Default ETW vs. NTW

Alo all.

I´m getting a new computer for me 18th, let me rephrase, I am FINALLY getting a new computer, for my 18th. And thus a new realm of TW is now accesable. (Or however you spell it).

Problem is, do I choose Empire or Napoleon?

My heart says Empire, as I simply love the idea of going to north America, the carribean, Persia and India. also the new factions are very ineteresting aswell.

But alas, I have heard the grunts and moans, and particularalylaryly angry people, complain about teh huge amounts of bugs.
    Problem with NTW is that ive been playing in Europe for well over a decade, with the same, updated factions, I want some variety. lol

So my Q is, just how bad are these bugs? And would you think the pros outwheigh the cons for both ETW and NT

Thanks for nay help on this matter

Beggar's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: ETW vs. NTW

I think I'd rather go for Empire. NTW has better battles and some nice campaign features, and is overall more solid, but lacks replayability. It seems you'd also be more interested in the ETW era. I must say I'd recommend to play with some kind of a major mod, DMUC is my favorite but you should just read through the mod descriptions and decide what fits you the best. With mods the battles specially get much better, perhaps better than NTW, though there are some good AI mods for NTW also.

priam11's Avatar Campidoctor
    Toronto-Home of the crack smokin Robbie Ford

I made the switch back from Ntw to ETW (Darth). I simply got bored with NTW. Has better features and is more polished but the replayability is limited and getting stuck with just Europe after having North America, the Carribean, India and Africa to play with, seemed a bit of a let down.

MortenJessen's Avatar Campidoctor

Hi there.
    Having played both Empire and Napoleon (my Imperial Edition is a dust collecter now) I went back to Empire after having played Napoleon for only two weeks. Kohvi says pretty much why, since I feel the same way. So if you "listen" to the answers here, my few words are: Go for the ENTIRE Empire package. It is far better than Napoleon.
    Y.S.
    M. Jessen

Praepositus

Empire just by Playing Napoleon demo i think it is more a Hollywood production .
    Last edited by jo the greek; April 28, 2010 at 05:10 AM.

I've only played Empire, but even though it carries a few bugs it's still worth your time and money. Not being a fussy or very knowledgeable player, I find it easy to forgive the questionable AI and minor graphical issues. The worst glitch for me is the blurry text problem, that has only been apparent since ver 1.5 (so I've heard). I'm not sure I'll bother getting Napoleon because I enjoy the re-playability of Rome, Medieval 2 and Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    I've only played Empire, but even though it carries a few bugs it's still worth your time and money. Not being a fussy or very knowledgeable player, I find it easy to forgive the questionable AI and minor graphical issues. The worst glitch for me is the blurry text problem, that has only been apparent since ver 1.5 (so I've heard). I'm not sure I'll bother getting Napoleon because I enjoy the re-playability of Rome, Medieval 2 and Empire.
    This mod helps nullify that issue somewhat.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=252620
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Thanks for all your opinions, they have proved very useful indeed.

I think I'll get ETW, as it just sounds more diverse, and the fact the mods contribute a lot to sweeping all the rubbish under the carpet. (Y)

Of topic: Can't believe these douches have the audacity to create such a buggy game and not release mod tools (unless the post I read was redundant).
    Also, ive just read a post about a poor, slighlty irritable man, about a 6 gig patch download when you get the game (to patch to 1.6.......I think), problem is, my connetcion is'nt exactly 20Mb, more like 2

Is this gonna be a huge problem in any forseable way apart from the extensivly long download time? Will I be able to play the pre-patched version of the bat? Or will (I hope so, so much) the game release (I still buy boxes ) be already patched?

Sorry for all the questions, its just that I dont want to blow 10 quid, which to me is a small fortune lol.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Thanks for the link, SonOfCrusader. Most helpful!

MADMAN, I think earlier versions tend to suffer from desktop crashes and are probably best avoided. I'm running Empire on 32-bit Vista and it hasn't crashed once yet at version 1.5 and 1.6, so you'd probably best stick with one of those.

klesh's Avatar Senator

I bet if you asked this in the Napoleon General Discussion, you'd have a completely different set of replies.
    For me, Napoleon runs so much better and is more optimized that its actually playable on my old rig whereas Empire was not and would give me only laggy play.

I haven't played Empire since Napoleon came out and I don't know if i can go back.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Having just about 5 playable factions and a very short time period kind of kills replayability for me, I never even considered buying the game.

Might have something to do with me hating the uniforms of this period with the most rediculous hats of all time.

Laetus

I got both

I find them both outstanding in their own different way. Feel like conquering the world? - Empire TW. Feel like playing on a smaller map but to my opinion, much better battles? - Napoleon TW

Beggar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by MADMAN066 View Post
    Thanks for all your opinions, they have proved very useful indeed.

I think I'll get ETW, as it just sounds more diverse, and the fact the mods contribute a lot to sweeping all the rubbish under the carpet. (Y)

Of topic: Can't believe these douches have the audacity to create such a buggy game and not release mod tools (unless the post I read was redundant).
    Also, ive just read a post about a poor, slighlty irritable man, about a 6 gig patch download when you get the game (to patch to 1.6.......I think), problem is, my connetcion is'nt exactly 20Mb, more like 2

Is this gonna be a huge problem in any forseable way apart from the extensivly long download time? Will I be able to play the pre-patched version of the bat? Or will (I hope so, so much) the game release (I still buy boxes ) be already patched?

Sorry for all the questions, its just that I dont want to blow 10 quid, which to me is a small fortune lol.

Thanks for all your help so far.
    Wise choice, I think.
    Anyways there's no option to play the game while updating, but just leave the computer to DL for a couple of nights. You've waited for a while, I hope a couple of days more won't hurt.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I can only advise leaving your computer on for a couple of days allowing it to update. You can play other games you happen to own in the meantime though-thats what I did when ETW took a couple of days to update once. At least its not as if you can't do anything with your computer for 2 days!

caralampio's Avatar Magnificus

Empire. Napoleon is only a glorified ETW expansion, made into a separate game to separate you from your money. A few new bells and whistles but it's basically ETW. Napoleon should have been the logical expansion for ETW, not Warpath.

There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just more ETW. In the same sense that Kingdoms is just more of M2TW, BI is just more of RTW, and Vikings is more of M1TW. Different, but the same at the core.

So, the conclusion is, play ETW first, then its "expansion".

Rilder's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by MADMAN066 View Post
    I have a 32Kb/s (256k) Connection and I downloaded ETW, Trust me you can do it.

Petrov's Avatar Campidoctor

Well They are BOTH great games, but i just play empire more, In my opinion Vanilla Napoleon is better than Vanilla empire, but Empire has MUCH better mods, sure eventually there will be some great mods for Napoleon, but not yet!

Darkpriest667's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Petrov View Post
    Well They are BOTH great games, but i just play empire more, In my opinion Vanilla Napoleon is better than Vanilla empire, but Empire has MUCH better mods, sure eventually there will be some great mods for Napoleon, but not yet!

You're wrong... Napoleon hosted modifications - NEVER...

you might want to contact CA's legal department... They're very serious about pursuing anyone that edits napoleons code... that means us as well...

In 5th grader terms... They're are going to be no mods for NTW
    In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ stock
    CPU HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212+
    MOBO:ASrock Fatal1ty p67 professional series
    RAM: Gskill 16380MB @ 1600mhz
    GPU: XFX 6970 2048MB
    PSU: Corsair TX850M
    CASE: Coolermaster HAF 932
    HDD: 2 x Samsung F3 spinpoint 1TB each
    ODD: Asus DVD Burner 22x

Rilder's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post
    You're wrong... Napoleon hosted modifications - NEVER...

you might want to contact CA's legal department... They're very serious about pursuing anyone that edits napoleons code... that means us as well...

In 5th grader terms... They're are going to be no mods for NTW
    "Sorry nop you can't mess around with the bytes on your hard-drive that you payed for?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kohvi View Post
    Wise choice, I think.
    Anyways there's no option to play the game while updating, but just leave the computer to DL for a couple of nights. You've waited for a while, I hope a couple of days more won't hurt.
    Ha! Aint that the stinking truth!

Again, thanks for all your insights. ETW has done a home run me thinks, so, I´ll see you in Europe, then America, shortly followed by India.

napolen seems cool, its just as people have said, the small new features and graphics don´t compensate for the lack of variety. Cue NTW lovers............. lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast