Thread: How to get ai units to get into column formations, and what does LOS do?

Default How to get ai units to get into column formations, and what does LOS do?

2 questions to the informed community:

How do you get the ai to make its men into columns rather than line? I note that armed citizenry has a tendency to do this, on deployment if you edit them to trained, but they have the exact same position stats as line infantry.

The reason is I want to edit the French ai so that it marches it medium infantry into column for melee in battles, and launch the skirmishers to soften your units up first.

I have given morale bonuses for columns (+12) in kv_rules and morale penalties for charging (realistic I think so that you need good morale for a charge). I have also edited melee vulnerability so there is some penetration of ranks, but would like the ai to .

I have also increased the LOS of skirmishers and light infantry so they see the enemy first and move in to fire. Does anyone know what is the exact effect of the LOS column in battle entities for different units?

♔Icebear77♔'s Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: How to get ai units to get into column formations, and what does LOS do?

For your first question. You can change to depth of a formation in db/unit_stats_land. The value in the column "unknown" between morale and file spacing is the number of lines.

3 = unit has a formation with 3 lines

-------------------------------------

8 = unit has a formation with 8 lines

----------------
    ----------------
    ----------------
    ----------------
    ----------------
    ----------------
    ----------------
    ----------------

The BAI can handle this formation without problems.

For your second question, i havent an answer yet.

Greetz

Ice

Default Re: How to get ai units to get into column formations, and what does LOS do?

excellent, thanks a lot!