Thread: What camera angles do you use?

Artifex

Default What camera angles do you use?

Just out of curiousity, what camera position do all you people use?

Seeing as how the SS forums are generally crowded with ideas of how to make the game as hard as possible, one would assume everyone is using the general-centered option, zoomed in as much as possible (except when bypassing walls when you must zoom out to be able to give move orders). But maybe thats just my prejudice.

To start my own thread, I'm using the generals camera. In my opinion it makes the game quite harder for light cavalry and offensive infantry armies, and turns beautiful forests into confusing labyrinths .

Tears of Destiny's Avatar Senator

Default Re: What camera angles do you use?

I was joking just the other day to one of my fellow humans about playing with the camera zoomed always as near to the general's head as possible.

Anywho, I used to use restricted camera, but now I use free camera because I found it intensely stupid that I could not view my entire city when defending.

Kaledon's Avatar Civis

I like difficulty, but restricting the camera isn't difficult so much as intensely annoying. I don't zoom in or anything like that as a handicap.

Aye, for difficulty I simply never ever reload and play VH/VH. Ever. Not even if my King was shot in the back by a random arrow form left field within the first twenty seconds of combat.

Though to be fair I always play VH/VH . . .

Kaledon's Avatar Civis

SIEGE ENGINES. Guh, whenever I think about random king deaths I think of Siege Engines. I swear, my own siege engines always try to kill my generals, regardless of how far away the target is from the general.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaledon View Post
    SIEGE ENGINES. Guh, whenever I think about random king deaths I think of Siege Engines. I swear, my own siege engines always try to kill my generals, regardless of how far away the target is from the general.
    I loved it when my catapult battery started turning and tracking my General's Bodyguard and Mailed Knights even though they were claiming to shoot the men who were 300 meters away. And reloaded, and fired. And reloaded. And fired.

Something fishy about that . . . Someone owes someone poker money methinks.

Kaledon's Avatar Civis

Remember when we were doing a hotseat campaign and your siege engines did their best to murder my general when my reinforcements were helping you out? Evil things. Err, anyway. Getting back on topic, I use the RTS camera.

Extreme close-ups.

Oh, for M2...

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Extreme close-ups.

Oh, for M2...
    Chyeaaaa111 . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kaledon View Post
    Remember when we were doing a hotseat campaign and your siege engines did their best to murder my general when my reinforcements were helping you out? Evil things. Err, anyway. Getting back on topic, I use the RTS camera.
    The one time when half of my full stack was siege engines.

At least they never missed! I have to give my men kudos for that, even if they insisted on shooting the wrong targets.

Artifex

I like difficulty, but restricting the camera isn't difficult so much as intensely annoying. I don't zoom in or anything like that as a handicap.
    How can it not be more difficult to be unable to see the whole field???

Kaledon's Avatar Civis

It's difficult, but in the same sense that it would be difficult if I only used one hand to play. A sort of pointless difficulty. Restricting the camera simply makes me enjoy battles less, without increasing the difficulty in a way that I would actually enjoy. So, to clarify. It does technically increase difficulty, but not in a way I appreciate.

Artifex

So, to clarify. It does technically increase difficulty, but not in a way I appreciate.
    Ah, now I understand it better.
    And I agree to some extent. Just find myself lacking other means to make the game harder without modding absurd AI bonuses or similar.
    Last edited by Maltacus; May 08, 2010 at 06:11 AM.

Use only 15 units in an army.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Use only 15 units in an army.
    Yup, or subtract your kings purse every turn, or subtract 25% your money or give a "war Bonus" to anyone you are fighting (Via Console, I have started doing this whenever I fight the Seljies with my Romans in late era, giving them a 10K bonus a turn when I am at war with them)

Artifex

I more or less already do those things since I play with Bygs Grim Reality IV. Playing an early campaign, it is impossible to afford full stack armies of any quality. And the AI gets significant bonuses while the player loses tonnes of florins on the worthless nobility.

But, by all means, thanks for the advice.

Maybe you can start making money off your nobles by selling tabloids that detail their lurid exploits and marital problems.