Thread: Improved Roads issue

Default Improved Roads issue

I'm using the 21st March hotfix and am trying to modify the late game to allow more settlements to build paved roads, mainly in the Arab states to reflect the greater road technology there at the time. But it's just not working. I've added the "improved_roads" resource to the descr_regions.txt document in C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\world\maps\campaign\custom\Late_Era_Campaign and have deleted the map.rvm file as per PB's advice in another post, but can still only build paved roads in the core cities (London, Baghdad etc). Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've now tried adding the resource to loads of different cities / settlements, but none of them seem to change when I start a new campaign. I've attached my modded file to this message, can anyone with some experience take a look and suggest what I may be doing wrong? I managed to succeed with a similar change to the early era campaign, but can't remember exactly what I did and thus can't replicate it.

Thanks!

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Improved Roads issue

You're sure you're deleting map.rwm from the late_era_campaign folder and not in the maps/base folder?

If it still doesn't work just remove the hidden_resource improved_roads requirement from export_descr_buildings

Yep, I'm sure. Double checked it twice - the standard descr_regions.txt and map.rvm are both in the 'base' folder, and the altered export_regions.txt and no map.rvm are in the 'Late Campaign' folder but still no joy.

Have deleted the requirement from the export file and that did the trick, but now all regions can build roads which wasn't quite what I hoped for - I just wanted to free up enough regions to build connecting roads between important centres. PB's idea about removing roads from some settlements is a good one, but it's hard to believe the Roman empire couldn't have built a road from Constantinople to Thessaloniki. And wasn't the silk road paved from Samarkand to Damascus? Until the Mongols smashed up all the way stations and diverted it through Karakorum of course...

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I remember reading somewhere that the game only regenerates the base map.rwm, however custom campaigns do requrie one of their own.
    Since I guess late and early campaign have the same map copying the one from maps/base to campaigns/custom/late_era_campaign should do the trick.
    If not you'll probably have to swap the campaigns to get your map.rwm and then swap them back

There is a map.rwm in Late_Campaign folder. Late and Early campaign have different maps so.

Its easy, just edit the descr_regions in the Late_Campaign folder and delete the map.rwm in that folder.

I think the early and late campaigns do have different maps - Corinth in the early map becomes Mystras in the late map. There may also be other changes, but that's the main one I notice.

@PB I have edited the descr_regions file in the Late_Campaign folder and deleted map.rvm in that folder, but it still didn't work. Any idea what else I might be doing wrong?

I don't know if it was a mistake that's been since corrected, but Pisa and Brasov are in the wrong places in my Teutonic Order campaign.

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

You can rename the settlements, you know... Just click on the city title and rename it. Hope it helps!

Mystras is not in the same place as Corinth. It was a little off.