Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-enactors!!! Post your pics

Default Re: Re-enactors!!! Post your pics

Quote Originally Posted by Mulattothrasher View Post
    Actually they are. I have the linen to make historically correct ones, but haven't had time.
    You stole his PJs? Dick move.
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

I think the Smĺlands Karoliner qualify as re-enactors.

Here's some videos with 'em;

Last edited by Carl von Döbeln; May 23, 2010 at 01:27 PM.

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

Time to do something for my local tourist board. Come to my town, Paddock Wood, UK, sometime in the summer, why you ask? well roll up roll up, we have heavy armour, from Tigers to T-72's, we have half tracks, armoured cars, light tanks, old, new, all in between. Thousands of rifles, thousands of machine guns, many for sale, get your AK's and H&K's here. We have bars, we have camps, we have food, and portaloo's! come to the Hop Farm for the War and Peace show 2010.

In all seriousness, I go there every year. Probably the biggest show of its type in Europe. People come from all over the world to this event. Last year I met people from Australian. Russia, Germany, everywhere. 4 brave Americans in the armour and with the weapons from the Alien trilogy, 2 Helghast from Killzone , the countries largest SS group, para's, 8th army, SAS, you name it and its probably there. There was some 3000 vehicles there last year. Including some 70 heavy tanks, and a fly by from our old favourite, the Lancaster Bomber .

So yeah, if you are into re-enacting, or just like watching it, go to the War and Peace show. http://www.thewarandpeaceshow.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Carl von Döbeln View Post
    I think the Smĺlands Karoliner qualifies as re-enactors.
    Good to see Swedish reenactors .
    BTW, you seem to have some doubts. Are they not true reenactors or what?

Photos from our recent battle. This time we fell in as the 2nd Pennsylvania, an impression we usually use for living history events and such. It was fun, though I do say I like playing redcoat more!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by 43rdFoot; May 18, 2010 at 04:33 PM.

s.rwitt's Avatar Shamb Conspiracy Member

Which one's you?

I've got my back turned toward the camera in the 10th photo.

s.rwitt's Avatar Shamb Conspiracy Member

I was hoping you were the guy loading the cannon lol.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Ha. Are you in the 11th picture too, Foot?
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    I was hoping you were the guy loading the cannon lol.
    Nope, but you'll never find a better cannon crew. It would not be an exaggeration to say that they might be one of the best in the world.

Just got some more pics. I'm bummed, the one photo of our platoon at "Make Ready" and I was distracted and still at "Trail Arms". I'd had problems with my musket at that point, as I had been firing all day and it was pretty fouled. I was just finished cleaning it up a little when the corporal (far right in the first rank) called to make ready.

Second Pennsylvania! Huzzah!

Man, I stick out like a sore thumb in that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Ha. Are you in the 11th picture too, Foot?

Yep. I look mad. I must have just had another misfire.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    Is that bayonet rubber? I don't think it should bend like that.
    yep it is! Course I can't bayonet people with a real one!

Oh I do believe I saw continentals charging without bayonets fixed?! lol I'd love to do revolutionary war/civil war but it's hard to hide my asian-ness lol. Doing a German soldier is easy, just put a helmet on and some dirt and you can't tell the difference. Doing a russian is easy as I can just I'm a soldier from siberia.
    Last edited by Okuto; May 19, 2010 at 02:02 PM.

Here is an interesting one, is it ever too soon to start re-enacting?

A year or two ago I met a group of people re-enacting the Kosovo Liberation Army (from the Kosovo War of 1998-1999 for those that don't know). A few of the guys I was with served in Kosovo with KFOR and found it a bit 'close to the bone'.

Opinions?

no not really......you just should do your research first. Common things like you most likely want to dress up close to your age. Like if you look too young you may not want to do a person of high rank.

When I started I did a German Artillery Major and its odd to a degree as I look a bit too young so I demoted myself to a 2nd LT. Though when reenacting WW2 it's always better to reenact the enlisted ranks or non-commissioned ranks as you get to have a bit more fun and "air time"

As a Major and 2nd LT I mainly just sat around.....though as a corporal I get to do alot more like shoot, take part in combat, all that good stuff. Plus I still get to lead men....well the assualt portion of it...the sgt gets to command the MG42 but who cares
    Last edited by Okuto; May 21, 2010 at 02:26 PM.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

I thought that Radoslaw Sikora would have filled this thread with pictures of Polish reenactors already.

I got some pictures from 2008 "Vivat Vasa" in Gniew where I met Radek in real-life for the first time. I am not a reenactor myself but I do enjoy attending reenactments. Vivat Vasa is a yearly event to commemorate the battle of Mewe (Gniew in Polish) in 1626 where Gustav II Adolf broke the siege of the castle in Gniew. It's a really cool two day event (saturday-sunday) taking place in August.

And the castle itself

A friend of mine (introduced by Radoslaw Sikora) also maintains a website with many nice pictures of Polish reenactments at http://www.hussar.com.pl/galerie-zdjeciowe/vivat-vasa-2009 . It's all in Polish so I have linked directly to one of the picture galleries to make it easier to find the good stuff .

There is also going to be some kick ass stuff going on in Warsaw this summer to celebrate the battle 400 year anniversary of the battle of Kluszyn. The English information can be found here: http://www.kluszyn1610.pl/?page_id=1614 . Luckily for me I am going to be working in Warsaw this summer so I am not going to miss this spectacular event. Anyone here at TWC is more than welcome to join me and my friends as spectators (we are Swedish but fluent in English).

And an example for www.hussar.com.pl . They pictures are huge so I will only post an example here on TWC.
    Last edited by Adar; May 23, 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I thought that Radoslaw Sikora would have filled this thread with pictures of Polish reenactors already.
    I can do it, if you only wish
    IMO, the best pictures from Vivat Vasa 2009 are here, here, here and here
    They are taken by Wojchiech Śniatecki. My ones are not as good as Wojeciech's.

There will be also Vivat Vasa 2010 (this year of course). But our event (400th anniversary of the battle of Kłuszyn / Klushino) will be much bigger. I have already written about it here Check the post #47.
    Last edited by Radosław Sikora; May 23, 2010 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsie View Post
    A year or two ago I met a group of people re-enacting the Kosovo Liberation Army (from the Kosovo War of 1998-1999 for those that don't know). A few of the guys I was with served in Kosovo with KFOR and found it a bit 'close to the bone'.Opinions?
    I know that part of the British Army training uses actual wounded veterans who lost limbs etc for extra battlefield realism on how to deal with casualties. They have to lie there covered in fake blood, screaming I always thought that was quite weird.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Radosław Sikora View Post
    I can do it, if you only wish
    IMO, the best pictures from Vivat Vasa 2009 are here, here, here and here
    They are taken by Wojchiech Śniatecki. My ones are not as good as Wojeciech's.

There will be also Vivat Vasa 2010 (this year of course). But our event (400th anniversary of the battle of Kłuszyn / Klushino) will be much bigger. I have already written about it here Check the post #47.
    I think my favourite image on the site is this one:

And this one

I must say that I really like the man who is playing the general in Gniew (riding at the front in the first picture). He really looks like an experienced hetman.

oh my!! You poles really have fun with that. I always thought most poles did napoleonic stuff but it's good to see so many winged hussars. I can only imagine that a winged hussar kit would cost a small fortune.

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Okuto View Post
    oh my!! You poles really have fun with that. I always thought most poles did napoleonic stuff but it's good to see so many winged hussars. I can only imagine that a winged hussar kit would cost a small fortune.
    Definetly worth it, the final effect is usually stunning

@Adar
    Your favourite pictures are unfortunately not showing. I guess you meant this man:

I've seen him on numerous events- I don't know his name nor his reenactment group, but I guess Radosław knows him- I remember that both Radek and "hetman" were on the promotion of new coin with Polish Winged Hussar on it And I'm pretty sure that Radek made some photos, if not took part in reenactment himself! Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by intel View Post
    I've seen him on numerous events- I don't know his name nor his reenactment group, but I guess Radosław knows him- I remember that both Radek and "hetman" were on the promotion of new coin with Polish Winged Hussar on it And I'm pretty sure that Radek made some photos, if not took part in reenactment himself! Am I right?
    This is Jarosław Struczyński - the castellan of Gniew castle and porucznik (lieutenant) of the hussar company from Gniew. And yes, we know each other very well .
    Jarosław will play a colonel Struś in our staging of the battle of Kłuszyn.
    BTW, one soldier of his hussar company (Marek Kreja - the former soldier of the French foreign Legion; here is his picture in a training) will show something extraordinary. Many people and even historians (outside Poland) can't believe that horses can charge piks and obstacles. But it happened in the battle of Kłuszyn 1610. Polish hussars charged and broke down fences. Then they charged piks. Marek's horse will show how to break down fences.
    The rest hussars of this company will show another interesting thing. During the battle of Kłuszyn, Andrzej Firlej's hussar company overcame so called kobylice (check the drawing below - these are kobylice according to Polish 17th c. military engineer) and defeated pikemen.
    Attachment 91306
    Among other things Gniew hussars will show this episode too.

BTW, brief info about the battle of Kłuszyn 1610 in my updated article.

oh my!! You poles really have fun with that. I always thought most poles did napoleonic stuff
    As a matter of fact, the most popular are the Middle Ages in Poland. The staging of the battle of Grunwald 1410 (we have 600th anniversary of this battle in this year) gather much more reenactors and the public than any other event like that.
    But, well... Grunwald staging is bigger, but our event will be much more interesting . We will have much more cavalry than Grunwald.

but it's good to see so many winged hussars. I can only imagine that a winged hussar kit would cost a small fortune.
    Indeed . It's not a cheap hobby.
    Last edited by Radosław Sikora; May 24, 2010 at 10:53 PM.