Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: albion

Default albion

I see that COW team plan to extend the map until ulthuan and dark elves country.

So they plan to add Albion

What kind of units/civilisation/city/story are there in Albion?

I try to find on warhammer website but I didn' find anything?

Some map of albion:

http://forum.warhammer-forum.com/ind...howtopic=86775
    Last edited by Beregond; April 27, 2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: double post

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: albion

I'd like to see them too, they would have a very Celtic feel to them so it wouldn't be too hard to think up some units for them.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

I remember something about druidy guys in the Albion campaign waaaay back. I can't remmeber what they were called though...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Senator

i think albion was overrun by lizardmen and turned into a jungle.... not sure if that was the entire island though.
    in the giantslayer book of the gotrek and felix series they describe the men of albion like dark age britain, they had iron working, woad type units, also troops with heavy mail, and druids.
    Last edited by Saladin; April 27, 2010 at 05:32 AM.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

there's a pretty good article about Albion in fluffbible, I'll upload it if you wish

Senator

I would like to see it, my lore knowledge on albion is particulary fuzzy.

According to the Dark Shadows Campaig, it's one of the former bastions of the Old Ones, before the coming of Chaos. They created Giants on that island to erect standing stones which would keep the forces of Chaos at bay hopefully. However, with the coming of Chaos, the Old Ones left, and Chaos Poioson infused rain infected the land, leaving it isolated - the Giants became stupid and inbred, and there was almost no technological advancement.

In addition the Old Ones created the Truthsayers - and not jsut the "weak" ones they are today (although they are as powerful as Human Wizard Lords), but true power, equal to the Hgh Elven Wizards. However, with the coming of Chaos, their power diminished.

[ Cry Havoc:: ] - [ link ] - [ An Expanded World Submod for Call of Warhammer ]
    My turban brings all the muslims to the yard and they're like العنصرية ش

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

here it is Attachment 86301

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    here it is Attachment 86301
    Thanks mate, that made for an interesting read.

I wish that Games Workshop had elaborated on Albion, made them into a proper faction instead of a couple of units with a bit of backstory.

Humakty's Avatar Tiro

It's all to the honour of Games Workshop to have seemingly ignored their own country while making their game, especially for a strategy game. They gave it a glorious, if tragic, history though. It probably explains their widespread success.
    Ten times more numerous, by night and backstabbing.

Senior member of the G.L.I.N..

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Humakty View Post
    It's all to the honour of Games Workshop to have seemingly ignored their own country while making their game, especially for a strategy game. They gave it a glorious, if tragic, history though. It probably explains their widespread success.
    Don't know about that there's significant British influences seen throughout the Warhammer world, especially the Empire (Middenland is based on Scotland for example, Stirland is based on Ireland), and Brettonia is clearly inspired by a mix of feudal France as well as tales of King Arthur.

Humakty's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Don't know about that there's significant British influences seen throughout the Warhammer world, especially the Empire (Middenland is based on Scotland for example, Stirland is based on Ireland), and Brettonia is clearly inspired by a mix of feudal France as well as tales of King Arthur.
    The Brettonian peasants are using longbows too, inspired by their elven neighbours one's. Their very island is a desolated place in game still, an homage to local weather maybe ?

Indefinitely Banned

The Brettonian peasants are using longbows too, inspired by their elven neighbours one's. Their very island is a desolated place in game still, an homage to local weather maybe ?
    Albion seems to be based on ancient Celtic Britain and Ireland, the weather, druids, isolated nature and standing stones certainly suggest that to me anyway. Brettonia seems to be based on feudal France, England (because as you pointed out the usage of longbows) and Arthurian tales.

Even though thats not the case with Warhammer, is that really a bad thing? I have nothing against the UK but if they don't want to focus on it, is it really that bad?

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    Even though thats not the case with Warhammer, is that really a bad thing? I have nothing against the UK but if they don't want to focus on it, is it really that bad?
    I love the occasional allusions to real life places and people in Warhammer but I love how it's not integral at all to it, they can do whatever they want with the lore and factions because they aren't tied to real world scenarios or people, there's a huge degree of flexibility to the universe. It's good that they don't focus on any one people or nation from the real world, they are free to draw inspiration from anything. Like the melding of steampunk, gothic and fantasy.

I thought Kroq-Gar, the Saurus oldblood special character, led an invasion of Albion and began construction of a new temple-city to guard the north and watch for a future chaos incursion. there's noting mentioned in the latest armybook for Lizardmen of the island however. I do live in hope that my army will find it's way into the game in Albion someday... but if it doesn't happen, it's ok.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

Humakty's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post

A which moment did I say it was a bad thing ? I'm puzzled...

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    I love the occasional allusions to real life places and people in Warhammer but I love how it's not integral at all to it, they can do whatever they want with the lore and factions because they aren't tied to real world scenarios or people, there's a huge degree of flexibility to the universe. It's good that they don't focus on any one people or nation from the real world, they are free to draw inspiration from anything. Like the melding of steampunk, gothic and fantasy.
    Yeah whenever I try to make a fantasy world for a book or whatever, if I take any real-life references, it ends up basically that race or faction in a new spot. If I don't, it feels flat and lifeless. Tha's one of the good things about the Warhammer and 40k universes, like the Imperium in 40k is obviously based of a sortof space Roman Empire, but you don't hear terms like "Legions" or "Tribunes" or whatever, really a masterful effort at making a fantasy universe on GW's part.

Humakty's Avatar Tiro

Can you explain in what the Imperium can compare to the Roman Empire ? I always percieved the Imperium as a brutal theocracy, and a shameless dictature (the Emperor knows what's good for you...). Eck, on the slightest doubts, an inquisitor can 'purify' (read : sterilize) a planet ! Their own planets ! You don't even need them to be rebels !

Even the various symbols used by the Imperium doesn't fit with Roman empire. (skulls/crosses) The only one present in both is the eagle, which is an almost worldwide used symbol. (fascinating animals, those eagles, no wonder)

EDIT : The way Imperium works rather reminds me of Imperial Spain, with the inquisition feel and all.
    Last edited by Humakty; April 30, 2010 at 06:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast