Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Public Research - Medieval Balkan Castles & Fortresses

Default Re: Medieval Balkan Castles/Fortresses

It works for me. Thanks for posting this, Nenadovcanin.

VIP

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Can't see anything myself.
    Btw, a somewhat immature question, but - does Kurvingrad mean the same on Serbian as it would mean on Bulgarian?

Ampra's Avatar Centenarius

Yes it does
    "At first we were confused. The East thought that we were West, while the West considered us to be East. Some of us misunderstood our place in the clash of currents, so they cried that we belong to neither side- and others that we belong exclusively to one side or the other. But I tell you, Irenaeus, we are doomed by fate to be the East in the West and the West in the East, to acknowledge only heavenly Jerusalem beyond us, and here on earth--no one." - St. Sava (of Serbia) to Irenaeus, 13th century

If you still can't see pictures use this link http://www.esnips.com/web/AleksandarDeroko/?refresh=1

phoenix[illusion]'s Avatar Palman Bracht

Default Re: Public Research: Medieval Balkan Castles & Fortresses

guys, check this out
    reconstructions of serbian cities from middle ages

lazarev grad (krusevac)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

old town ras

long time no see, but still twc drug kickin'
    check out Tsardoms: Total War!
    Under patronage of respectable Annaeus
    Patron of honorable Giacomo Colonna

They both look beautiful! Do you know if this work is backed up with some serious research? I suppose it is but... I mean, it's always exciting when you learn how something that disappeared (at least in it's original form) long before you even came into existence looked, so that is why I ask - to know if I'm thrilled with what actually is the approximate look of these towns. Anyway, thank you very much for sharing the reconstructions here. With a + of course. Cheers! Off to check that link.

Edit: checked the facebook page, saw the reconstructions of Užice old town (especially glad of this, even though but one tower is shown ) and fortress of Niš. So it was thoroughly researched, it seems. Thanks once more!
    Last edited by Son of Serbia; June 26, 2012 at 05:09 PM.

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

SoS can you post a link.... because i try to copy the link there, but it says that the page does not exist...

thanks!
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

Fortress of Niš (in later, Ottoman period):
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0053487&type=3

Lazarev grad (in present-day Kruševac - first 6 pics), the citadel of Užice (next two pics), Ras (last two pics):
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.389706694400380.80576.366508960053487&type=3

Unfortunately, the pages are in Serbian, and there is some text next to each of the pictures.

Edit: please tell me if the links work, because they screw me around for some reason...

Huh! They're both supposed to work now... The main page is
    http://www.facebook.com/IRekonstrukcije
    There's a couple of other albums there.

Edit: OK, here are the translations of the texts that appear next to the pics when you click them, for that second link (the pics of Ras And Lazar's town that phoenix posted, along with two pics of Užice):
    Pic1: The main gate of Lazar's town - the town of Kruševac. Reconstruction based on archeological data and the foundations of the town.

Pic2: Lazar's tower - Donjon tower of Lazar's town, Kruševac. Lazar's town in Kruševac was founded between years 1374. and 1377. It is mentioned for the first time in 1376-7, in the first gift charter of Ravanica monastery. Donjon (Lazar's) tower's base is 13,6 meters wide, and it's height is 18 meters, including the escarpment. Reconstruction based on numerous archeological excavations, analyses, and on the present day shape.

Pic3: Another view of Donjon tower and the small town of medieval era Kruševac. The town was built by Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović, during the period of 1374-1377, so the tower was named Lazar's tower.

Pic4: Lazar's town - Kruševac. Lazar's town in Kruševac was built was founded in between 1374-1377. It is first mentioned in 1376-7, in the first gift charter of Ravanica monastery. Donjon (Lazar's) tower's base is 13,6 meters wide, and it's height is 18 meters, including the escarpment. The walls, the Donjon tower, and the other towers were reconstructed based on archeological excavations of town's foundations. The interior is filled arbitrarily, since the foundations of the buildings were not preserved, or the data is not available to us. In case we get the data, we will work on the improvement of this reconstruction.

Pic5: Lazar's town - Kruševac. Stylized display.

Pic6: Another view of Lazar's town in Kruševac (stylized display). The walls, Donjon (Lazar's) tower, the moat, the other towers, the Church of St. Stefan (Lazarica), the Palace, the main gate, stables, and some of residential objects as well, are positioned according to archeological findings. The remaining objects are filled in on author's presumption.

Pic7: Užice - the medieval town (citadel, XIV century). The town was situated at top of a rocky hill which almost closes the flow of Djetinja river, at the basin entrance point. This strategically important place was able to control the roads that connected Serbia and Bosnia. Up untill 1373, the town's lord was Nikola Altomanović. In this year, the town was besieged by a joint force of Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović and Bosnian Ban Tvrtko. The town was conquered, and Altomanović captured. The picture also shows Nikola Altomanović's banner, derived from his Coat of Arms given by Mavro Orbini. Reconstruction is based on drawings and data from Marko Popović's monograph "The town of Užice".

Pic8: Užice - medieval look (XIV century) - the citadel. The town that was ruled by Nikola Altomanović. Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović and Bosnian Ban Tvrtko concluded an aliance against him. Užice was the place where young Altomanović (in his twenties) decided to take his last stand. In 1373. the town was conquered, and Altomanović captured. Later on, the town was conquered by the Turks, reinforced, upgraded, and constantly garisoned until 1862. In accordance with agreement with Principality of Serbia, the town was blown up with explosives and incapacitated for further military use. Reconstruction was done based on drawings and descriptions published in Marko Popović's monograph "The town of Užice".

Pic9: The old town of Ras (the established name of the fortification at the fairground, although it's not determined with full certainty). View from the west. Reconstruction based on the materials published in Military museum journal, "The anthology of Novi Pazar" (a journal), and a drawing published in Marko Popović's monograph "The old town of Ras".

Pic10: The old town of Ras (the established name of the fortification at the fairground, although it's not determined with full certainty). View from the southwest. Reconstruction based on the materials published in Military museum journal, "The anthology of Novi Pazar" (a journal), and the drawing published in Marko Popović's monograph "The old town of Ras".

Edit: they're adding pics on the go, so I have added the respective pics below each of descriptions in that spoiler, to prevent mixing texts and pictures up. Should've done that in the first place...
    Last edited by Son of Serbia; June 29, 2012 at 07:16 PM.

Can we have a small picture of the map of Bosnia?
    kada se bjehmo svadili, tada nas Stjepan Rajkovic umiri i da nam nas grad Bobovac, a neda ga dati Ugrom.

"And when we were in a quarrel between each other; Stijepan Rajkovic calmed us down. And we entrusted our capital of Bobovac to him after which he defended it against the Hungarians (King Tvrtko I Kotromanic 1366.)"

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

presuper izgleda

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

These reconstructions are awesome. Perhaps the images could be used for in game buildings.

Can the graphically good parts of this movie be used in the game? It is an annimation of the fortress of Vranduk which today is a museum.
    kada se bjehmo svadili, tada nas Stjepan Rajkovic umiri i da nam nas grad Bobovac, a neda ga dati Ugrom.

"And when we were in a quarrel between each other; Stijepan Rajkovic calmed us down. And we entrusted our capital of Bobovac to him after which he defended it against the Hungarians (King Tvrtko I Kotromanic 1366.)"

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Btw, in one Bulgarian forum I saw a thread from today, with links to two interesting studies - about the Bulgarian towns in the 13-14 c. and about some of the Byzantine ones in that period.

I like that video of Vranduk, i reckon some of the graphics can definetly be used for some sort of in game image.

I just hope the in-game graphics will be consistent. But I know I have no reason to worry - the Dudes always do a fine job.

Yes phoenix is actually a big fan of consistency and having a very professional look to the in-game graphics. However, sometimes that is quite difficult and time consuming so the consistency will probably get better in later versions post the first release.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    I like that video of Vranduk, i reckon some of the graphics can definetly be used for some sort of in game image.
    You're telling me that I might see Cetatea Soroca in game?

Default Re: Public Research - Medieval Balkan Castles & Fortresses

The Soroca stone fortress was built in the XVth century, before that it was a wooden fort. There is other more important settlements in that region at that time so it won't be featured unfortunately, neither as a settlement or as a permanent fort. We'll see when the map is finished if there is room for another fort.

Some more images from Bosnia-Herzegovina

Prusac Fortress
    (Prusac)

Soko Fortress
    (Gracaniča)

Bijela Tabija Fortress
    (Sarajevo)

Bočac Fortress
    (near Banja Luka)

Dizdarević Fortress
    (Orašac)

Dillultnnum Fortress
    (Hutovo)

Maglaj Fortress
    (Maglaj)

Ostrovica Fortress
    (Kulen Vakuf)

Livno Fortress
    (Livno)

Glamoč Fortress
    (Glamoč)

Last edited by BHCluster; April 06, 2013 at 04:26 PM.

„Nos Stephanus Thomas Dei gratia Rasciae, Serviae, Bosnensium sive Illyricorum, Primordiae, Dalmatiae et Croatiae rex“

Wow! Amazing that Serbia has such castles! Shame Bosnia doesn't have the same