View Poll Results: Do you want skellies in TATW?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! The deathless tide!

32 25.60%
  • Nah, useless!

93 74.40%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Undead Hordes?

Default Re: Undead Hordes?

Quote Originally Posted by Some Random Evil Guy View Post
    If you've got bones magically walking, then it's gonna be hard to stop them simply by breaking them. They shouldn't be able to move anyway, and so are magically animated - in theory you could grind the bones to dust and the skeleton would keep coming.
    I've always thought of this as well.

Though I've explained it by the -dark being- of the undead is weakened blow for blow, and would most likely collapse before suffering full devastation.

But also, the only weapons I can see properly actually damaging undead would be hammers where the entire kinetic energy is spread throughout the entire body. Arrows should have well near no effect against skeletons, and even less if they're wearing armor.
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by SinerAthin View Post
    the undead is weakened blow for blow, and would most likely collapse before suffering full devastation.

But also, the only weapons I can see properly actually damaging undead would be hammers where the entire kinetic energy is spread throughout the entire body. Arrows should have well near no effect against skeletons, and even less if they're wearing armor.
    So, even without shields, skelies should have a very high Shield protection number. They should have 'normal' Armor protec number (i.e. a bad one as I don't think they can wear good armors), and Defense to zero (to compensate Shield, and as I don't think they are self-protective).
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anibal at portas View Post
    yes,but,activate with a historical event script as the balrog,with 4 units limits and use for a 1 battle only,these units disappear after.
    for example a historical event for activate the dead army:
    if aragorn ends his turn in erech,playing gondor, the advisor will appear allowing the player to recruit this special unit led by the king of the dead.
    the army of the dead dissapears after his first battle, and there is also a time limit. the king of the dead gets an special trait that is randomly increased every turn, then the deadmen dissapear when this trait reaches the 3 level.
    Is that in vanilla TATW???

That's not even Medieval 2.
    I think it's LotRTW

Quote Originally Posted by Seleukos_I. View Post
    That's not even Medieval 2.
    I think it's LotRTW
    Yeah, the graphics didn't look that good. And there are onagers in the background

It's Wlesmana's Lord of the rings total war, for Alexander, anyways I think we can tell fro man overwhelming community response that skeletons have no place in Middle Earth
    My A-list of mods to play
    Lord of the Rings total war
    Thera Legacy of the Great Torment
    End of Days and its sequel
    Third Age total war, similar to Lord of the rings total war
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP
    Bringing the light of God(Canadian) Emperor to the fringes of TWC

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by midterm360 View Post
    It's Wlesmana's Lord of the rings total war, for Alexander, anyways I think we can tell fro man overwhelming community response that skeletons have no place in Middle Earth
    I'd still like to see a wight unit for evil factions, maybe the new evil faction that King Kong says they might make, would make an awesome elite unit. I'm not asking for hordes of them, but undead wights did exist in LotR so would be a cool and lore accurate elite unit to have. Maybe make it an AoR unit for the Barrow Downs, for evil factions?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Uxbridge View Post
    Is that in vanilla TATW???
    lotrtw mod.

Barrow Wights couldn't, as far as I know, leave the Barrows. Nazgul have already been implemented, and I really don't see the need for another super tough (presumably, judging by Nazgul here) evil unit.

Indefinitely Banned

Barrow Wights couldn't, as far as I know, leave the Barrows. Nazgul have already been implemented, and I really don't see the need for another super tough (presumably, judging by Nazgul here) evil unit.
    I think that they could, the Barrow Wight in LotR left it's barrow to catch the hobbits, they were only saved because Frodo remembered a song that he was told by Tom Bombadil that would summon him. Barrow Wights are different from the Nazgul in that the Nazgul are wraiths whereas the wights are corpses of ancient kings and heroes that have been inhabited by evil spirits, they would be unique, and a very cool unit to play with.

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

The wight in the book left his tomb, but i think he could not exit the barrow's area. Never heard of wights outside that little region. So, they can't be implemented.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Mengsk View Post
    The wight in the book left his tomb, but i think he could not exit the barrow's area. Never heard of wights outside that little region. So, they can't be implemented.
    Just because it's not mentioned doesn't mean that they couldn't, I mean as far as I'm aware the Elves never invaded Mordor in the Third Age, but that's exactly what I did Besides, Sauron was known as a necromancer so it would make sense for him to have some undead units other than Nazgul.
    I mean come on, wights are lore accurate and would make an interesting unit, they really should be included in the mod, I suspect that they will be added to the new northern faction that KK said he might make (Shadow of Angmar or Remnants of Angmar were what I believed he said he might call it).

As far as I know, the wights couldn't leave the Barrows area, although I could be wrong. However, if Sauron was capable of such powerful magic, do you not think he would have used it more often rather than guarding the Barrows?

Indefinitely Banned

As far as I know, the wights couldn't leave the Barrows area, although I could be wrong. However, if Sauron was capable of such powerful magic, do you not think he would have used it more often rather than guarding the Barrows?
    Maybe it was just more cost effective to build swarms of orcs. Anyways there's references to all sorts of unnamed evils, like the ones in Mirkwood or the ones that Aragorn and the Rangers of the North fought no reason why it wouldn't be undead, I mean wasn't Sauron known as the Necromancer after all? Besides from what I gather, the Barrow Wights weren't created by Sauron, they were evil spirits that fled from the destruction of Angband and took refuge in the Barrows and then inhabited the corpses that they found in there.

If you've got bones magically walking, then it's gonna be hard to stop them simply by breaking them. They shouldn't be able to move anyway, and so are magically animated - in theory you could grind the bones to dust and the skeleton would keep coming.
    Ah, my specialty. The magic that keeps the skeleton together is not that strong, it makes it move and fight but if one knocks his head off or leg or spine it falls apart and the spell is gone. Got it now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Yeah, those D&D, Warcraft, Warhammer geeks and various other fantasy authors really screwed up.
    Yeah, and the whole Nord mythology, and the Latino American mythology, and the Chinese mythology....

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Maybe it was just more cost effective to build swarms of orcs. Anyways there's references to all sorts of unnamed evils, like the ones in Mirkwood or the ones that Aragorn and the Rangers of the North fought no reason why it wouldn't be undead, I mean wasn't Sauron known as the Necromancer after all? Besides from what I gather, the Barrow Wights weren't created by Sauron, they were evil spirits that fled from the destruction of Angband and took refuge in the Barrows and then inhabited the corpses that they found in there.
    Maybe, but I would think that Undead would inspire more terror than Orcs, and mixing them in would have a greater impact (yes, Sauron had Nazgul, but they were only Nine). I suppose they could've fought undead, but I just don't really see why it would be undead rather than other monsters (such as giant spiders). Undead require permanent magic whereas Orcs are living beings that can exsit without Sauron. Not sure about the Barrow Wights, you might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Necromancer
    Ah, my specialty. The magic that keeps the skeleton together is not that strong, it makes it move and fight but if one knocks his head off or leg or spine it falls apart and the spell is gone. Got it now?
    And yet it doesn't, say, slip over, despite having almost no grip, and it holds itself together against gravity, since bones on their own would fall apart. That surely involves quite a bit of magic in and of itself, especially since it's happening permanently and often on numerous different skeletons. Besides, how could you knock bones out of place if they're being held in place by magic (without, say, magic of your own)? Does that mean that if a skeleton falls a couple of metres or if it gets hit by a sudden gust of wind it will fall apart? Are skeletons completely useless on mountains because a) it's cold and b) it's too windy for them?

The ones aragon fought were wargs and goblins from the MM I think. In mirkwood there were spiders and Dol Guldur. I thought barrow wights had to stay near their barrows, hence the name barrow wights. Personally I think (and a lot of other people telling by the poll) that adding skelliton, the undead, wights ect. would be and should only be done in a sub mod not in vanilla.

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

Just because it's not mentioned doesn't mean that they couldn't, I mean as far as I'm aware the Elves never invaded Mordor in the Third Age, but that's exactly what I did Besides, Sauron was known as a necromancer so it would make sense for him to have some undead units other than Nazgul.
    I mean come on, wights are lore accurate and would make an interesting unit, they really should be included in the mod, I suspect that they will be added to the new northern faction that KK said he might make (Shadow of Angmar or Remnants of Angmar were what I believed he said he might call it).
    The Barrow Wights are evil spirits that defiled the ancient tombs. They are bounded to them, i don't think they could "live" outside the Barrow Den's. Otherwise they should have been mentioned as spirits who haunt a much larger area, instead of only the tombs. Stories about them would have spread and then mentioned at Bree or even the Shire. IMHO.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

In the books, lotr and the hobbit, werewolves were mentioned. Now I've never seen any werewolves in any lotr game (except possibly Angmar in BFMEII). Do you think that werewolves have a significant enough lore basis to warrant an elite aor OOTMM unit for Carn Dum?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast