View Poll Results: Do you want skellies in TATW?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! The deathless tide!

32 25.60%
  • Nah, useless!

93 74.40%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Undead Hordes?

jinjo's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Undead Hordes?

i dont like this idea

The nazgul are undead and the witch king of Angmar created skeletons in barrow downs. So I imagine that where there are human corpses, there can be skeletons. But neither a faction, neither even an army. Only rare special units for Mordor, maybe expansive mercenaries whose main weapon would be fear, and that a nazgul could summon when he's fighting against human cities (and who can't follow the nazgul when he leaves).

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

Undead hordes like Warhammer's ones doesn't fit with Lotr lore. So, they won't be implemented except maybe in a dedicated submod.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

The AOD would be OP so they will not be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by eugenioso View Post
    hello priscilla. ill assume you are new to the forums.

i would like to ask you a question:

when you got up today, did you randomly decide to go into a LOTR forum and type that the game should have skeletons?
    That's right. Why do you sound like you're offended?

After seeing this pic

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

They are the army of the dead. Lore-wise they can't "kill", their power is in the fear they inspire in all living things. In the movie they are quite different, but they are not an "undead horde" like in other fantasy worlds.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

old_dude's Avatar Tiro

Hi Priscilla, don't let us super nerds get on your nerves, we're just very protective of Tolkien's fantasy world when it comes to comparison with subsequent fantasy tales (or the films for that matter). It seems you are familiar with Hobbit and the film trilogy so let me see if I can give a good synopsis of the undead in Middle Earth.
    The Necromancer - The Hobbit takes place about 50 years prior to the LotR. The main bad guy in middle earth is a dude named Sauron. During the time of the Hobbit, every one thought that Sauron was still incorporeal after his defeat in the prologue of the Fellowship movie. Turns out he was the necromancer though. Calling him such was not so much an observation on him raising the dead but just a creepy name for some evil, dark magic using, unknown sorcerer.
    Barrow wights - Long story short. They are not ghosts or the undead at all but just "evil spirits out of Angmar...." These spirits inhabited burial mounds of ancient kings and are easily confused for malevolent ghosts of those who reside their.
    Army of the dead - The reasoning for the curse and manner in which Aragorn summoned them is pretty much the same in print and film (though not identical). The main difference is their role in battle. In print they didn't 'kill' anybody instead every one just "...fled when [they] came...", or went "in rout before [them]...". Gimli states "...I know not whether their blades will still bite, for the dead needed no longer any weapon but fear." Besides that, they didn't join the fight against mumalik and whatnot in front of Minas Tirith; they left days before Aragorn and company came to port with living human reinforcements. So as you can see they were not a conventional army.

I hope this simplistic essay on the undead in middle earth will show how their role in middle earth does not support an official unit let alone faction. It would be more along the lines of a submod made for giggles and grins.
    Have a nice day all.

Now that made a lot of sence, thanks old chap! =D

not cooool idea

Senator

Well i do agree undead as in walking bones, are common in fantasy, same goes for Elves, Orcs etc. And most Fantasy storys have them, but LOTR is kinda old.

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

yeah i think lotr has a more "realistic" base, not like warcraft where warriors wear 5000 pounds armors and wield 8 foot long swords

Damnit I voted without reading what you meant by "skeletons" I thought you meant like the Army of the Dead but if I knew you meant just skeletons I would of said no...

I meant undead in general, including army of the dead.

What we need is a Warcraft mod.

A whole undead faction like the Scourge would rock!
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Have a look at the original. Have a look at the call of warhammer mod.

skeletons?

absolutely no
    A Eruchîn,u-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas.

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Awesome idea

Threads like this are useless... The modders don't read them and these people who say "No they won't do this because of that blah blah blah" really have no idea, they are just making guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingSpartan View Post
    Threads like this are useless... The modders don't read them and these people who say "No they won't do this because of that blah blah blah" really have no idea, they are just making guesses.
    While this is true dont neglect the obvious fun factorThat is there. Yea i'm still waiting for JAL to come in here guns blazing and rip this apartNo offence intended Jean Luc you are an excellent modderater
    My A-list of mods to play
    Lord of the Rings total war
    Thera Legacy of the Great Torment
    End of Days and its sequel
    Third Age total war, similar to Lord of the rings total war
    Call of Warhammer
    RIP
    Bringing the light of God(Canadian) Emperor to the fringes of TWC

the LORT universe is far too old and can be considered "realistic", and we know there are no walking warcraft-like skeletons around, there are undead-LIKE creatures, nazgulz, etc, but not smiling skeletons with candy clubs around...

also im yet to try a total war mod with this feature, what would the archers think when their commander would tell them to shoot at a bunch of skeletons xD

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast