Thread: Plans for Roma

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Default Plans for Roma

Rome needs a rooster befitting of its grandeur

I have seen the discussions which took place about the Romans for FoE, and am satisfied that they need no improvement. However, FoE has loads and loads of Roman units, and I don't want to have one faction weighted too much and have others with no special troops whatsoever or something. Basically: There are too many

So I must prioritise. The factional troops - (Italian-) Hastati, Principes, Triarii, Equites, Velites and Funditores will be present. However, there is a small change: The Velites will not exist until after the "Marian" Reform (it will no longer be called "Marian", but something like "Late 3rd Century Reforms" and have effects for a lot of factions). Instead, there will be a unit of "Leves", who are the same as Velites minus some attack points and the shield. The Funditores will also be a late unit.

The Italian Lineup is trickier. I am inclined to disable their recruitment once the Italian hpts are recruitable, if I can get it to work nicely. Their lineup will be (for now): Etruscan Hoplites (and cavalry maybe), Oscan Skirmishers and Heavy Infantry, Italian Skirmisher Cavalry (FoE's Oscans - might retain its former name), Samnite Milites, maybe a heavy Samnite unit (from RSII), Campanian Cavalry, Colonial Greek Hoplites in the south (for a time, at least), and Bruttian Spearmen (the unit needed from RSII). And a Ligurian unit. And perhaps a Veneti, if I have space

And of course there will be Tarantine Cavalrymen in Tarentum and some Nuragics over in Corsica and Sardinia.

Rome will not be able to colonise outside of Italy until after the Reform. Colonisation is a time-consuming and costly process, btw.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; May 03, 2010 at 06:41 AM.
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Carados's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Plans for Roma

Sounds good to me. How are you planning on the Italic HPT coming into effect? I would imagine the "original" italic units would still exist to an extent until after the social war, but that is so far into the game...

I like what you've got planned for the velites. I was going to ask what about the principles and the spears but then I remembered, you're starting later than us, so it won't matter.
    Developer for the Extended Realism mod for RTR Platinum.
    Developer for RTRVII and protégé of Caligula Caesar

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Should the Cataphracts also exist after those reforms?

I was going to have spear-armed hastati and principes, but then I discovered that that particular reform is estimated to have been soon after I start or even before... so I scrapped those plans. But I decided to throw in the Leves-Velites transition

I intend to have the Italic hpts recruitable after some colonisation has taken place. There will be a transitional period when both them and local units are recruitable, but I'll probably disable those after I certain level of colonisation has happened (only possible after the mentioned reform, btw).

@Atlas: If you mean for Rome, then no. If you mean for the Seleucids, though, then yes.

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

I've coded all these units in (withplaceholders for the RSII units) except for in rebel factions and export_units (so they all read "unlocalised placement text") and I've only partly done the EDB. Then I hope to do the Keltoi, Iberia and Carthage (and some revisions to the Mauryans). Then I will have a playable Beta for the Western Mediterannean

The Marian Reform has always been a contentious point... I have decided to script it in some way - the details are not important atm, but it will probably be a minimum date of 167 BC, considerable holdings outside of Italy, and after an invasion of Germans perhaps. I haven't had too much to do with scripting before, but I know it is possible, and have done the EDB parts of it. Anyway, basically, I will use one legionary unit and a host of different auxilia from various areas which are reskinned versions of local factionals or AoRs. For instance, Africa will have African Auxiliary Infantry (formerly Carthaginian Reform Infantry) and Numidian Auxiliary Cavalry (Numidian Nobles - I don't think this one needs a reskin, though it might still). And all regions will get at least some auxiliaries. I have made the African Auxilia unit, I just need to get it working now

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

If unit roster space isn't a problem, how 'bout adding form of town watch unit as well at least maybe in the pre- "Marian" stage? It doesn't seem right to use Hastati as merely garrison troops

I think I will have a Town Watch unit. But it will be completely useless in battle and a generic unit for all factions. And here is the African Auxilii

(note that the RSII team created the model and most of the skin)
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; August 29, 2010 at 02:12 PM.

DukeCanada's Avatar Domesticus

Cool
    Rome Total Realism Public Relations Representative

"We saved so much money on toilet paper" - Remlap, after giving advice on proper wiping technique.

you should find out if its ok to use that unit. thats a carth reform unit that RS2 let us use for RTR

True, I will if necessary. But there is talk we at RTR may be able to produce our own version, not that it is really necessary... but yeah, I'll make sure I'm allowed to use any RSII or other mods' units I use.
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; May 18, 2010 at 11:04 AM.

Some more Auxilii are done:

First, the Iberian Infantry Auxilii, a reskinned version of the RTR Elite Iberian Caetrati:

Taking on the Carthaginian Sacred Band:

And the Numidian Cavalry Auxilii, a reskin of the RTR Numidian Nobles:

I plan on adding Iberian and Gallic (and perhaps German) Cavalry Auxilii as well as Gallic and German Infantry Auxilii (the Gallic one will be a heavy spearman unit - not sure about the German one). To the east, I'll make heavier version of the Illyrian Thureophoroi and call it Illyrian Auxilii, and make a Getic Auxilii of some sort. The Steppe Tribes will contribute an archer and a heavy cavalry unit (and maybe a horse archer). The Greeks will have a reskinned Thorakitai masquerading as Greek Auxilii, though strictly I don't think this should really exist. In the east, there will be Persian and Syrian Archers, cataphracts in some places (eg Armenia) and some horse archers. I suppose I also need Egyptian and Indian Auxilii... that could be tricky. The Indian one will have to be a reskinned swordsman, I'd say.

The aim is that Rome will have a special unit to recruit wherever they go to represent that they have rearmed the locals. However, this unit will not be easily available - it will take time to build the necessary buildings, and the Marian reforms will not be allowed to happen before 200 BC certainly, maybe even later.

Remlap's Avatar Lag Slayer

They look great CC

Thanks

I've been having a hard time finding Roman shields on the internet... harder than finding Greek ones strangely... Anyone know any good websites?

very nice CC !

perhaps you can add a little shadow on the thigh of the iberian infantry ?

pardon me for my lack of knowledge, is the numidian cav supposed to be a romanised unit ?
    I don't think the vanilla numidian cavalry wore chainmail or helmets, so I guess there's a vanilla numidian javelin cavalry as well ?
    Last edited by Boom S; August 29, 2010 at 05:29 PM.

This one is Romanised

The normal Numidian cavalry units aren't, but this one represents a force of Numidians recruited into the Roman army of the Late Republic or Early Empire and rearmed somewhat. It's a bit like the RSII Auxilii (see their preview), but with the units a bit less Romanised and more like the local ones.

Rome needs a rooster befitting of its grandeur

I agree. If for no other reason than to combat EXRM's Pontic Rooster as 'suggested' by Metaluis90.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=380536&page=5

Page 5 & 6.

Perhaps you could arm the Roman Rooster with Adamantium claws(thank you for the inspiration EXRM weapon upgrade poll)? Or better yet, Nunchuks!

Royale's Avatar Laetus

Screens look great

will the reform troops have shields like in rs2 and rome total war? because the roman reform unit i've seen which is the milites who have fairly small roundish shields.

I decided to abandon the project of giving Rome regional auxiliaries, as it would have been a lot of effort and historically dubious, especially for the areas never controlled by Rome. So the only current reform unit is the one you've seen, which is meant to represent a republican post-Marian legionary.