Thread: Faction Preview 2: Epiros and Akarnania

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Default Faction Preview 2: Epiros and Akarnania

Faction Description

Epiros, like Macedonia, is a remnant of a more archaic social era of Greece, and also a border region where Greeks mix with Illyrians. There are 14 tribes of Epirotes, out of which the Chaonians, the Thesprotians and the Molossians are the most prominent. The people live mostly in villages and are ruled by kings. The Molossian kings, especially, can proudly trace their ancestry to Neoptolemos, son of Achilles.

Just ten years ago, the Molossian king Alketas united the tribes of Epiros in a single league, which can coordinate matters of defence and foreign policy. His two sons both succeeded him after his death, but the elder (Neoptolemos) has recently died, leaving the kingdom, and the league, solely to his brother, Arybbas.

Epiros’ relative isolation from the other Greek states could be its greatest advantage, protecting it as the league develops its army and infrastructure to counter any possible threats. To the east, the Macedonian king is married to the late Neoptolemos’ daughter Olympias, and should thus be counted on as an ally. To the south, opportunities await for a king who would be willing to test Epirote arms for lands and glory…

Strategy Map Location

Units

General's Cavalry

Molossian Cavalry

Athanamian Cavalry

Heavy Hoplites

Light Hoplites

Archers

Illyrian Peltasts

Illyrian Spearmen

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Default Re: Faction Preview 2: Epiros and Akarnania

Faction Description

Little is known of Akarnanian history before the 7th century BC, when Corinth and Kephallenia took a colonial interest in it. The influx of new settlers created a distinctly Dorian culture in Akarnania, and it became embroiled in all of Corinth’s military adventures.

Akarnania was forcefully incorporated into the Spartan sphere of influence during the Corinthian War, but managed to skirt away and join the Second Athenian League some years later. Soon afterwards, the Akarnanians aligned themselves with the growing democratic power of Thebes (Akarnian cities themselves being predominantly democratic).

Potential threats to Akarnania could come from the neighbouring Aetolians or from an expansionistic kingdom of Epiros. The Corinthians continue to exert control over some of their old colonies in the Ionian Sea, and it could pay off ‘convincing’ those colonies to switch over their allegiance to the Akarnanian League. With the right timing, Akarnania might possibly come out as the dominant regional power of western Greece.

Strategy Map Location

Units

General's Hoplites

Chosen Hoplites

Hoplites

Javelinmen and Chosen Javelinmen

Prodromoi
    Last edited by cpdwane; April 21, 2010 at 02:26 PM.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

very nice guys! i liked the greek wars alot when i played it cant wait for Athens/Sparta
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Quote Originally Posted by legio_XX View Post
    very nice guys! i liked the greek wars alot when i played it cant wait for Athens/Sparta
    Well, to be honest we are not planning to change the original factions greatly, although you can be sure of a few new additions (like a lovely new unit for Spartan Hippeis ).

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

ohhhhh I like that will the spartans be using the pylos helm and linenthorax? or mostly same spartans? any way you make them I realy dont mind it will be a great mod. I loved the first one very much. it was fun to remake the Athenian empire
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Likey likey likey!

messiah's Avatar Semisalis

Very nice!

YEAH!

Great preview!

Thanks they look really nice *licking my fingers*

Dihnekhs's Avatar Laetus

i am afraid you have made a terrible mistake in the photo epirus is Ηπειρος in greek Απειρος means infinite or roockie.........

I believe in the Doric dialect it would be Άπειρος. They tended to do that, for instance Σπάρτα instead of Σπάρτη, Αθάνα instead of Αθήνη (from which came Αθηνά), etc.